A Burgundy and Gold Obsession
Is it August yet?

Page 1209 of 1230 FirstFirst ... 209709110911591199120712081209121012111219 ... LastLast
Results 24,161 to 24,180 of 24596
  1. #24161
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    07-19-09
    Location
    Bethesda Md
    Posts
    6,855
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

    Default Re: Random Redskins Thoughts

    Confirmation that Eagles fans are the worst:

    Per Yahoo Sports:

    'A domestic argument over the Eagles’ loss on Sunday allegedly escalated to physical assault on a woman and the attacker putting the couple’s dog in a microwave oven'.................................
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  2. #24162

    2016 BGO FF Champion
    Ugly American

    Join Date
    07-22-09
    Location
    My location
    Posts
    7,057
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

    Default Re: Random Redskins Thoughts

    What a dumbass.





    Everybody knows the best way to cook dog is in a crock pot.


    Obviously, just kidding. Sick ****.
    0 1 0 0
     
     
    "Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and **** the prom queen"

  3. #24163
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    07-19-09
    Location
    Bethesda Md
    Posts
    6,855
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

    Default Re: Random Redskins Thoughts

    I just saw that the Seahawks signed Paxton Lynch. Evidently Schneider is willing to give him a shot to backup Wilson.

    I know Lynch was subpar in his Broncos starts in 2017 but one wonders why the the Redskins after Smith went down didn’t look for a younger qb like this to give a shot knowing that Smith’s return was questionable and we had no one else for the future.

    Mark Sanchez at 32 was a disaster and lasted one game. Johnson, also 32, started his first games since 2011. He’s a 100% effort guy but not someone with a future with where he is.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  4. #24164
    2016 BGO FF Champion
    BGObsessed

    Join Date
    11-18-12
    Location
    Chugiak, Alaska
    Posts
    4,022
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Air Force

    Default Re: Random Redskins Thoughts

    There’s an ever so slim possibility BruDan it tanking the 2019 season for a top 5 pick. Landing a qb of the future in doing so. Then, GW is hired as HC in 2020, keep Tomsula as DC and get someone like Kubiak to run the offense.

    Yeah I’m off-season speculating but still
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    “A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week.” - George Patton

  5. #24165
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    07-15-09
    Location
    Burleson, TX
    Posts
    1,216
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default Re: Random Redskins Thoughts

    I wonder if there ever been any confirmation of any NFL team purposefully tanking a season?
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  6. #24166
    2016 BGO Survivor Champ

    Join Date
    08-01-09
    Location
    My location
    Posts
    11,711
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Florida State

    Default Re: Random Redskins Thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by stevenaa View Post
    I wonder if there ever been any confirmation of any NFL team purposefully tanking a season?
    Irsay, suck for Luck. That team was not 2-14 bad...they were not good, but there is no way they were that bad. No doubt in my mind they told coaches to just play to lose.


    Edit: I still am not calling for the Suck for Trevor, or Tua...but I think Bulldog is correct, dump all the vet contracts, stock the team with young players and the vets we cannot dump, and play it out. If the youth steps up, great! If they don't and we lose a lot of games...that's ok, too.
    Last edited by Elephant; 01-18-19 at 07:22 PM.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    The more things change...the more they stay the same. It's like deja vu all over again.

  7. #24167

    2016 BGO FF Champion
    Ugly American

    Join Date
    07-22-09
    Location
    My location
    Posts
    7,057
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

    Default Re: Random Redskins Thoughts

    You play...to win....the game!

    There are no exceptions.


    Not for me, anyway.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    "Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and **** the prom queen"

  8. #24168
    2016 BGO Survivor Champ

    Join Date
    08-01-09
    Location
    My location
    Posts
    11,711
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Florida State

    Default Re: Random Redskins Thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by Ax View Post
    You play...to win....the game!

    There are no exceptions.


    Not for me, anyway.
    I said play to win, just get rid of all the contracts that weigh us down, and instead of signing a bunch of losers off the street just looking for a payday, get younger, healthier. Sign guys hungry to play because the current formula for winning hasn't really produced much.

    And if this move doesn't work, that's fine. We need a franchise QB. And while one can be found outside of a top 1st round pick, we're not that good. Hell...we're not even good enough to get one with a top round pick, so what...why am I even bothering, right?
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    The more things change...the more they stay the same. It's like deja vu all over again.

  9. #24169
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    07-19-09
    Location
    Bethesda Md
    Posts
    6,855
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

    Default Re: Random Redskins Thoughts

    With all due respect Ax, I don’t look at any one game or season as critical. The goal of the organization is to win a championship, period.

    If that means making up for past mistakes with the loss of picks in the Griffin trade or compensation of pick and player for Smith with a 2-14 season to get one of the top picks and rebuild with top tier talent than that is what I endorse.

    I love Doc Walker to death for his passion for the game but I disagree that beating the Eagles in Week 16 or going 7-9 instead of 6-10 or 5-11 makes any long term difference.

    If you are a losing club you need to acknowledge that and move forward realistically.

    I like to play the ‘long’ game.

    What actions are going to help me win a title and snag a Lombardi.

    The truth is many of the players on the current roster will be long gone when this team is ready to contend in earnest.

    If we are looking at it any other way as a team that is only going to make things that much more difficult and take longer to achieve.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  10. #24170

    2016 BGO FF Champion
    Ugly American

    Join Date
    07-22-09
    Location
    My location
    Posts
    7,057
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

    Default Re: Random Redskins Thoughts

    For all the chatter I here about the team needing a culture change, advocating losing isn't the change anyone should ever advocate. Giving up, which is what you're advocating, only takes the will to do well, out of the equation for every veteran we keep. And stifles the development of guys like Allen, and Payne. Not to mention feeding the mindset of just playing for money. Since winning is not the immediate goal.

    Which, it should always be, IHMO.
    I realize we differ in that thinking.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    "Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and **** the prom queen"

  11. #24171

    2016 BGO FF Champion
    Ugly American

    Join Date
    07-22-09
    Location
    My location
    Posts
    7,057
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

    Default Re: Random Redskins Thoughts

    Looks like Olividatti (sp) is gone.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    "Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and **** the prom queen"

  12. #24172

    Join Date
    04-11-09
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    18,460
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    95
    Marine Corps Virginia

    Default Re: Random Redskins Thoughts

    While I'm not intending to denigrate any of the coaches who've been here the past 5 years or so, nor am I implying that a voluntary exodus of current coaches is a positive sign, there is one fact that can't be argued.

    The coaches we've had for the past 5 years have accomplished very little.

    Change for change's sake, whether due to team desires, or individual coaches desires, isn't necessarily positive. But those freaking out on Twitter with every assistant move miss that major truth.

    We haven't gotten dramatically better with any of these coaches. Coaches coach. But talent and ability rule.

    If you were for complete regime change, you can hardly argue that partial regime change is inherently negative.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    You ain't bonafide

  13. #24173

    2016 BGO FF Champion
    Ugly American

    Join Date
    07-22-09
    Location
    My location
    Posts
    7,057
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

    Default Re: Random Redskins Thoughts

    Agreed. Olividati has been here for a while. I think that's the only reason the team granted him permission to seek a lateral move. I believe he got his start with us under Gibbs.

    My take on his wanting to leave is that he feels, as I do, that Gruden is "Dead Coach Walking".
    And he wants better security.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    "Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and **** the prom queen"

  14. #24174
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    07-19-09
    Location
    Bethesda Md
    Posts
    6,855
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

    Default Re: Random Redskins Thoughts

    I am not advocating that the owner or GM go to the locker room and tell the players to lay down and not compete.

    But as we all know there are moves you can make and others you can refrain from making that affect the outcome of the season and future of the franchise.

    If the Redskins were smart they should have put DJ Swearinger on the suspended list for the last 2 weeks of the season and traded him for a pick in the offseason. There was no reason to give him away for nothing after putting up with his mouth for 12 plus weeks.

    We probably could have recouped a #5 or #6 pick for Swearinger and that would have gone some way in recompensing us for having to carry his dead cap hit in 2019.

    We also could as an organization decide to be PATIENT and stay where we are in the draft and get better by selecting better players and trading/signing others.

    In my mind acquiring Alex Smith at 34 was simply a panic move by Bruce Allen to fill the hole created by Cousins' departure and meant to paper over the fact the Redskins mishandled the Cousins negotiations from start to finish.

    But in the overall 'long' game of team/organization development and improvement the 34 year old Smith was not going to take us very far. Perhaps a wildcard spot at 9-7 or if everything fell the right way winning the division at 10-6.

    His age almost guaranteed that he would be gone by the time the rest of the roster was assembled to be a true contender.

    And we had no younger quarterback in the system to develop behind Smith while we gave Alex 2018 and perhaps 2019.

    That was one of the big mistakes the Redskins made in 2017. If the team was not going to trade Kirk Cousins for a high pick, the team should have at least covered themselves by taking a quarterback in a good draft for the position and start to groom that player for Cousins' potential departure after the following season.

    That's what Andy Reid did. He had Smith and drafted Mahomes to take over. He gave Smith that one final season and when he saw how Mahomes was coming along he decided he could trade Smith to another team for decent compensation because of Smith's outlier 2017 season and unload the $18M cap hit that was pending for 2018 for KC.

    So, he played the Redskins like a violin. Reid was able to get rid of a player that while competent was on the back nine of his career and allow himself to free up $18M against the cap. He was then able to get not only a #3 pick but a 24 year old starting caliber cornerback from Washington.

    It's funny in a way when you think about what the Broncos were offering. They were offering a #4 or #5 pick and Aqib Talib, who was 31 years old and carried a big cap number that Elway couldn't wait to get out from under.

    And up steps Washington to give KC not only the cap relief but a better draft choice AND a younger cornerback KC could build with.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  15. #24175

    Join Date
    04-11-09
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    18,460
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    95
    Marine Corps Virginia

    Default Re: Random Redskins Thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
    I am not advocating that the owner or GM go to the locker room and tell the players to lay down and not compete.

    But as we all know there are moves you can make and others you can refrain from making that affect the outcome of the season and future of the franchise.

    If the Redskins were smart they should have put DJ Swearinger on the suspended list for the last 2 weeks of the season and traded him for a pick in the offseason. There was no reason to give him away for nothing after putting up with his mouth for 12 plus weeks.

    We probably could have recouped a #5 or #6 pick for Swearinger and that would have gone some way in recompensing us for having to carry his dead cap hit in 2019.

    We also could as an organization decide to be PATIENT and stay where we are in the draft and get better by selecting better players and trading/signing others.

    In my mind acquiring Alex Smith at 34 was simply a panic move by Bruce Allen to fill the hole created by Cousins' departure and meant to paper over the fact the Redskins mishandled the Cousins negotiations from start to finish.

    But in the overall 'long' game of team/organization development and improvement the 34 year old Smith was not going to take us very far. Perhaps a wildcard spot at 9-7 or if everything fell the right way winning the division at 10-6.

    His age almost guaranteed that he would be gone by the time the rest of the roster was assembled to be a true contender.

    And we had no younger quarterback in the system to develop behind Smith while we gave Alex 2018 and perhaps 2019.

    That was one of the big mistakes the Redskins made in 2017. If the team was not going to trade Kirk Cousins for a high pick, the team should have at least covered themselves by taking a quarterback in a good draft for the position and start to groom that player for Cousins' potential departure after the following season.

    That's what Andy Reid did. He had Smith and drafted Mahomes to take over. He gave Smith that one final season and when he saw how Mahomes was coming along he decided he could trade Smith to another team for decent compensation because of Smith's outlier 2017 season and unload the $18M cap hit that was pending for 2018 for KC.

    So, he played the Redskins like a violin. Reid was able to get rid of a player that while competent was on the back nine of his career and allow himself to free up $18M against the cap. He was then able to get not only a #3 pick but a 24 year old starting caliber cornerback from Washington.

    It's funny in a way when you think about what the Broncos were offering. They were offering a #4 or #5 pick and Aqib Talib, who was 31 years old and carried a big cap number that Elway couldn't wait to get out from under.

    And up steps Washington to give KC not only the cap relief but a better draft choice AND a younger cornerback KC could build with.
    Could not agree more on Swearinger. Just defies logic and felt like an emotional decision. Too many people earning big $$ to make good decisions to let emotions get the best of you. Stupid.

    I think you're off base on Alex Smith - because I believe his signing was intended to serve two purposes. First, be a reliable, coachable starter for 2-4 years. But secondly, I believe they were going to rely on him to be a mentor/tutor to their next drafted QB. If there is a young guy in this upcoming draft they love - be it Murray, Rypien, Tua, whoever - I believe they'll draft him. I believe they would've drafted a young successor QB regardless of Smith's injury. If I'm right about that, getting Alex Smith might've proved a genius move. Smith, at a purely physical level, might've just been 'competent' when Reid let him go, but he's one of the smartest, most capable QBs in the past 20 years. The idea we got 'fleeced' by KC - sorry, not buying it. If Smith doesn't suffer the freak injury, and we're a playoff team in 2018, the narrative is totally different. The impact of losing Smith's leadership was immediate and obvious.

    You think Patrick Mahomme would be having the year he's having had he not studied behind Smith for a season?

    I don't.
    0 1 0 0
     
     
    You ain't bonafide

  16. #24176
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    07-19-09
    Location
    Bethesda Md
    Posts
    6,855
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

    Default Re: Random Redskins Thoughts

    My problem with your logic Boone is that WITH Smith on the field the Redskins were winning games by the hair of their chinny-chin-chin. The wins against Dallas and Carolina early in the year were set up by turnovers created by the defense.

    Once the Cowboys made the trade for Cooper and the Eagles started to come on after mid-season with Foles I don't think the Redskins were necessarily going to make the playoffs.

    That point can be debated but again Smith really didn't have any truly outstanding games in 2018 even when the club was healthy early on.

    I don't know how you can call it a potential 'genius' move when your starter is going for 190 yards and 1 touchdown per week.

    His numbers were pedestrian and I am not at all sure that going after a younger qb like Teddy Bridgewater who at 25 has a lot more upside might not have been a better move as it would only have cost dollars and we could have kept our #3 pick and Kendall Fuller.

    Retaining Fuller would have meant there was no need to go out and sign Orlando Scandrick, who was here for a cup of coffee and who believe it or not still counts as dead money against our cap in 2019 because we were silly enough to offer him guaranteed money when after several injury plagued seasons didn't warrant any at age 31.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  17. #24177

    Join Date
    04-11-09
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    18,460
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    95
    Marine Corps Virginia

    Default Re: Random Redskins Thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
    My problem with your logic Boone is that WITH Smith on the field the Redskins were winning games by the hair of their chinny-chin-chin. The wins against Dallas and Carolina early in the year were set up by turnovers created by the defense.

    Once the Cowboys made the trade for Cooper and the Eagles started to come on after mid-season with Foles I don't think the Redskins were necessarily going to make the playoffs.

    That point can be debated but again Smith really didn't have any truly outstanding games in 2018 even when the club was healthy early on.

    I don't know how you can call it a potential 'genius' move when your starter is going for 190 yards and 1 touchdown per week.

    His numbers were pedestrian and I am not at all sure that going after a younger qb like Teddy Bridgewater who at 25 has a lot more upside might not have been a better move as it would only have cost dollars and we could have kept our #3 pick and Kendall Fuller.

    Retaining Fuller would have meant there was no need to go out and sign Orlando Scandrick, who was here for a cup of coffee and who believe it or not still counts as dead money against our cap in 2019 because we were silly enough to offer him guaranteed money when after several injury plagued seasons didn't warrant any at age 31.
    You're still wrong. The formula wasn't conventional - but it was a winning formula. We basically eliminated turnovers. Smith simply didn't make mistakes. Yes - our offense was ugly. The passing game was barely existent. But the end result was TOP dominance, consistent ball possession and ball control. And wins.

    Ugly. Anemic. Whatever you want to call it. But we were winning.

    And again - when Smith was gone, you saw the effect.

    Fine to argue they Smith-lead Skins wouldn't have prevailed over the 'resurgent' Cowboys and Eagles - but it's also patently unfair to assume they wouldn't have. We'll never know.

    All we do know is that the Redskins were in firm command of the NFC East until Alex Smith went down.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    You ain't bonafide

  18. #24178
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    07-29-15
    Posts
    384
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default Re: Random Redskins Thoughts

    Since that nfc championship game in 1992 only the skins and lions have not been back to that game. Ironically, they played in that game.

    I think only the bears have been there once since then, and every other team has been there at least twice. Not positive on this.

    Redskins and Lions. We are the worst the nfc has to offer. 27 years and counting.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  19. #24179

    2016 BGO FF Champion
    Ugly American

    Join Date
    07-22-09
    Location
    My location
    Posts
    7,057
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

    Default Re: Random Redskins Thoughts

    Smith was doing just fine until the injury. I can't help but think that he would have steadily improved as his familiarity with the scheme grew. Ball control, and limiting mistakes was a good formula, as Boone said, as his comfort level grew.

    Also, worrying about his age is not a concern. In days long past, plenty of QB's were at their mental best by their mid/late 30's. But their bodies forced them to retire. today, QB's are protected. They don't take a fraction of the pounding guys did just 10-15 years ago. In many cases now, low 30's to 40yrs old can be the best years of their career. QB's playing until 40 will be more common than ever, moving forward. It simply isn't an issue.

    We do, however, need to draft and groom a young QB. Although, as I've said elsewhere, I wouldn't go all in on an upper rated draft pick this year. Next year should finally, mercifully, answer whether Gruden will be our head coach for another 5yrs. I assume he's gonna fail, and get fired. I'd rather let the next regime pick their own QB. And, if it is Gruden, then he'll get his choice then, too.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    "Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and **** the prom queen"

  20. #24180

    NFL Pickem Champion 2015

    Join Date
    08-04-09
    Location
    Sparta,NC
    Posts
    2,684
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

    Default Re: Random Redskins Thoughts

    It's JLC but interesting,if true.....

    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/d...mpression=true

    Snyder flew Bowles, an accomplished former safety with the team who was recently fired as the Jets head coach, to the Washington team facility and made a concerted attempt to convince him to take over the team's defense. While the sides did not enter into negotiations, sources said, Snyder was leading this push, not head coach Jay Gruden, and the owner made it clear he would compensate Bowles as well as any coordinator in the NFL and was also willing to alter his personnel structure within football operations if Bowles was interested

    As one source with knowledge of the situation put it, "Dan put the full-court press on (Bowles). He didn't want to let him leave. He wanted to know what conditions it would take to get him to stay. If Todd had said, 'I'll only do it if I am the head coach,' I think he may have gone for it."
    0 0 0 0
     
     

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Random thoughts
    By Hog Fever in forum Sons of Washington
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-27-11, 10:13 AM
  2. Totally disconnected random thoughts
    By Alaskan in forum The 5 O'Clock Club
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-10-10, 06:35 PM
  3. Om Field: Eagles vs Redskins: Random Reactions
    By Om in forum Sons of Washington
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-27-09, 08:51 PM
  4. Random Thoughts for the day.....
    By DenverBronco in forum The 5 O'Clock Club
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-28-09, 06:48 PM

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •