• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

If Snyder makes these moves to appease the fan, why is Brucie still sound? Hell, why is Norval Jr, for that matter?

Manusky wasn't able to effectively lead the defense.

Unlike the offense, players on defense were coming out all season with comments in the press detrimental to the team and critical of coaches and other players and even the fans.

You have to be able to exercise greater discipline over your charges than what we saw in 2018.

Manusky may have spent 3 years as a special teams player under Gibbs but he doesn't seem to bring in any real leadership ability to the position.

Players seemed to run over him like a speed bump.

If we had been smart enough to hire Wade Phillips instead of that idiot Joe Barry, he of the 0-16 Detroit Lions, none of this would have happened over the past couple of years.

It's also a sign of how far this team has fallen that a team like the Bucs, with uncertainty at qb and dumpster fire at a number of other positions on a losing team is AHEAD of the Redskins in the race to sign Bowles as DC.

Manusky wasn't able to effectively lead the defense.

Unlike the offense, players on defense were coming out all season with comments in the press detrimental to the team and critical of coaches and other players and even the fans.

You have to be able to exercise greater discipline over your charges than what we saw in 2018.

Manusky may have spent 3 years as a special teams player under Gibbs but he doesn't seem to bring in any real leadership ability to the position.

Players seemed to run over him like a speed bump.

If we had been smart enough to hire Wade Phillips instead of that idiot Joe Barry, he of the 0-16 Detroit Lions, none of this would have happened over the past couple of years.

It's also a sign of how far this team has fallen that a team like the Bucs, with uncertainty at qb and dumpster fire at a number of other positions on a losing team is AHEAD of the Redskins in the race to sign Bowles as DC.

Remains to be seen if that's the case with Bowles - but you may be right. Here's what I think went down with DCs. I think Gruden was told - Haslett will be your DC for one year, after which you can pick whomever you want. So he goes with Barry, a friend and someone for whatever reason he trusts. This may well be a case of giving a coach too much leeway, with Phillips available and seemingly wanting the job so he can coach with his son, they should've applied pressure to Gruden to go that route, vs. taking a Vegas gamble on a guy like Barry. I think the recent comments from Wade Phillips about how 'strange' the 'interview' he went through with Gruden was, like Gruden had no regard for his accomplishments, sound like a situation where Gruden was told to interview Phillips but had already decided he was going to hire his buddy. I get the bemoaning of that decision, but it's not really relevant to what we do from here.

As far as Manusky - it may well have been Manusky who insisted they cut Swearinger. I agree we have had too many defenders running their mouth this year, but I don't know that I buy that Manusky is some big ****y or pushover.

I assume Manusky is going to go. I'm not even saying that's a disaster. I'm just suggesting he wasn't an awful DC and if your D hadn't been out there for 3/4ths of the game most Sundays it might have looked a lot better. We have done worse than Manusky, and we can bring in someone who will be worse than Manusky. That's my only point.

If Snyder makes these moves to appease the fan, why is Brucie still sound? Hell, why is Norval Jr, for that matter?

We don't know what's going to happen with Allen. Lots of noise that he will be moved to the business side of things. But remains to be seen. Snyder has to make SOME changes in his mind to appease the fans - doesn't mean he will replace the GM and HC though.

Personally - I think the replacement of coaches is going to have a lot more impact on this team on the field than whether or not they fire Bruce Allen, at least in the short term.

Did we not have a better draft last year with Allen in charge, than any of the drafts under McLou ?

We will see in a few years I think but 2014 turned out good while we only re signed one guy some of the others netted us draft picks. There will be times where some drafts will be head scratchers even from the best GM

Bowles to Tampa with Arians.

Sucks because he's a good DC that would've made us better.

It also sucks that nobody good wants to come here.

Tampa has nice weather. Coaches can play golf offseason. No state income tax.

Football team there is as much a dumpster fire as the one here but there is no Bruce Allen to deal with.

Bowles to Tampa with Arians.

Sucks because he's a good DC that would've made us better.

It also sucks that nobody good wants to come here.

Maybe. But Skins fans always think the guys here suck. And that guys not here are better. Sometimes - we even say they suck, then after they leave want them back :)

I just posted a thread comparing Bowle's and Manusky's most recent DC stats. It's not as clear cut as you think. Just sayin'...

Yup...Manusky is in high demand around the league. No idea why he hasn't been approached by other teams.

Sorry Boone...couldn't resist taking the low road.

Did we not have a better draft last year with Allen in charge, than any of the drafts under McLou ?

Fear: one starter (the first round pick) from that draft though I suppose one could argue the seventh rounder started for a game and Hamiliton had his moment. But solid starters who played a whole season? Ummmm. Nope. Not a successful draft so far IMO.

So the defense improved the most; is considered by some as an ocassional top 5 capable unit...but the house cleaning is coming on the defensive side of the ball?

What's wrong with this picture?

lmao!

Fear: one starter (the first round pick) from that draft though I suppose one could argue the seventh rounder started for a game and Hamiliton had his moment. But solid starters who played a whole season? Ummmm. Nope. Not a successful draft so far IMO.

In a literal or obvious sense, maybe it does not look great, from 2018 production.
But there are legitimate signs we could still have some great ones in these guys you did not mention :

Guice
Settle
Quinn
Hamilton (I know you mentioned him, but I'm re-stating his name, because I think he had more than a "moment" as you said :)

And the jury is still out on the other 2, who might be slow bloomers

Apke
Christian

A year or 2 from now, we could be saying this was a great and rich draft. It's certainly not ruled out yet.

Yup...Manusky is in high demand around the league. No idea why he hasn't been approached by other teams.

Sorry Boone...couldn't resist taking the low road.

Well, for one he's under contract :)

Manusky has been an NFL teams DC for 11 straight years. Not sure how you define ‘in high demand' but he's been deemed capable for more than a decade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the defense improved the most; is considered by some as an ocassional top 5 capable unit...but the house cleaning is coming on the defensive side of the ball?

What's wrong with this picture?

lmao!

I suspect the feeling is that with the personnel that the D had, and with their relative health all season, this unit underperformed badly down the stretch. Which I guess points to coaching, and I'm not sure that they're wrong. And when players like DJ start stirring the pot, then you know something is wrong. I can't say I've been crazy impressed by Manusky and his D, and the uptick in Defense can probably be generally associated with a) an uptick in talent in the trenches and b) we really couldn't be worse than last year could we?

The coaches on O get a pass because they were basically breaking in a new QB, RB and WR combination early, and then fire fighting all the injuries late.

I think it was the decline in our Run D that shocked me the most as the season wore on. Pass D was always a problem (though that too got worse!)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 4, Members: 0, Guests: 4)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.