• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

It would be smart to split carries with Guice, just coming back from surgery, and all.

But you're right, if another team offers him the starting role, he'll likely take it.

Honestly - if we were smart, especially with questions at QB - we might try and get both of them 20 touches per game :) That might be a pretty intimidating duo for a couple of years.

The afternoon games are finished. Redskins are mathematically out of the playoffs. No big surprise.

My dark horse candidate for starting QB for the 2019 Washington Redskins?

Case Keenum.

He's 30 years old, has a career 62% completion average, and has thrown 61 TDs to 39 INTs. He's a younger, more durable Colt McCoy. Keenum would be in year 2 of a 2 year contract for Denver. But almost all his guaranteed money was paid in year 1. With Vance Joseph dead man walking in Denver, and likely a whole new coaching staff taking over there, they won't be wed to Keenum and he could find himself on the open market or available for a late pick.

I know folks deride Keenum - but he's actually a pretty smart, capable QB. Perhaps not a guy you build the future upon - but in a 2019 season where your intended starter is unlikely able to play, and in which you don't have a top draft pick to go shopping with, with nothing but questions at backup, plucking Keenum from the Broncos (or off the waiver wire) would be a smart move.

That's my 'out there' prediction ...

Everybody knows what Gruden's fate would be if yours truly was calling the shots.

That aside, if they already know that he's being kept, they should say so, this week. Preferably by Wed evening. And put the question to rest.
Even if they've already told him privately, they need to announce it publicly. ASAP.

Of course, if they're gonna take my advice, and send him packing, then before our heads hit the pillow next Sunday night, they need to announce that.

Pretty sure he's staying. They need to let us know their intentions, forthwith.
So we know what to argue about, NOW.

Oh yeah, Merry Christmas ladies and gents.

I don't' see anything on Swearinger being waived? Any idea why?

Good catch.

What an eff'd up team. Run by ***hat clowns and coaches who would fail to adjust in Pop Warner games. Please, get rid of all the good players so they can enjoy careers they can look back on with pride.

Screw you Dan Snyder. You are an arrant failure as an owner. No more of my money goes to you and your pack of idiots.

The Cowboys are looking better every day compared to these losers. Whoever thought Skins fans would think that!

Case Keenum.

He's 30 years old, has a career 62% completion average, and has thrown 61 TDs to 39 INTs. He's a younger, more durable Colt McCoy. Keenum would be in year 2 of a 2 year contract for Denver. But almost all his guaranteed money was paid in year 1. With Vance Joseph dead man walking in Denver, and likely a whole new coaching staff taking over there, they won't be wed to Keenum and he could find himself on the open market or available for a late pick.

I know folks deride Keenum - but he's actually a pretty smart, capable QB. Perhaps not a guy you build the future upon - but in a 2019 season where your intended starter is unlikely able to play, and in which you don't have a top draft pick to go shopping with, with nothing but questions at backup, plucking Keenum from the Broncos (or off the waiver wire) would be a smart move.

I actually wanted Keenum before this year. This isn't hindsight, but rather hoping that they would find a young QB they could build around. The Smith trade seemed like it happened fast and so the QB position was settled without too much debate. I wasn't high on Smith since what we ended up seeing this year is who he's been his whole career. 2017 was the outlier, but people seemed convinced that was the new Alex Smith. I wanted to believe, I really did. But once the games started, the real Alex came back. And now he's had a gruesome injury that could end his career. And the Redskins could be stuck without a QB and definitely without a 3rd round pick and and up and coming CB. Ironically something they need desperately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually wanted Keenum before this year. This isn't hindsight, but rather hoping that they would find a young QB they could build around. The Smith trade seemed like it happened fast and so the QB position was settled without too much debate. I wasn't high on Smith since what we ended up seeing this year is who he's been his whole career. 2017 was the outlier, but people seemed convinced that was the new Alex Smith. I wanted to believe, I really did. But once the games started, the real Alex came back. And now he's had a gruesome injury that could end his career. And the Redskins could be stuck without a QB and definitely without a 3rd round pick and and up and coming CB. Ironically something they need desperately.

I agree with everything you posted. But I fail to understand how any of that would change the ultimate outcome. This tem's management/ownership has not and does not know how to build a championship team - let alone a competitive team. It doesn't matter how many trades we make, how many drafts we enjoy with high picks - the folks with their hands on the wheel are second tier at best. They will ALWAYS be out thought, out maneuvered and out-strategized by the better run teams.

It always starts with vision, strategy and leadership.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with everything you posted. But I fail to understand how any of that would change the ultimate outcome. This tem's management/ownership has not and does not know how to build a championship team - let alone a competitive team. It doesn't matter how many trades we make, how many drafts we enjoy with high picks - the folks with their hands on the wheel are second tier at best. They will ALWAYS be out thought, out maneuvered and out-strategized by the better run teams.

It always starts with vision, strategy and leadership.

We've been 'competitive' for years. Saying otherwise is an exaggeration. You guys talk as if we're winning 3-4 games a year. We've been in the mix for the NFC East title for years. We just haven't gotten it done. I'm not arguing your larger point. Organizations achieve their goals, or they don't. We haven't. And that all falls on organizational leadership. But let's please not act like we've not had any success at all. We have. We aren't 'a disaster' as so many fans like to frame us as. We have some major deficits in our approach and organization that need to be fixed if we are ever to turn the corner and take it to the next level, where we are a perennial playoff team that attracts the best talent in the NFL.

Case Keenum.

How about Foles ?
He won't cost us any picks.
Just more money.
I think we have the cap money to do it.

Last edited:
We've been 'competitive' for years. Saying otherwise is an exaggeration. You guys talk as if we're winning 3-4 games a year. We've been in the mix for the NFC East title for years. We just haven't gotten it done. I'm not arguing your larger point. Organizations achieve their goals, or they don't. We haven't. And that all falls on organizational leadership. But let's please not act like we've not had any success at all. We have. We aren't 'a disaster' as so many fans like to frame us as. We have some major deficits in our approach and organization that need to be fixed if we are ever to turn the corner and take it to the next level, where we are a perennial playoff team that attracts the best talent in the NFL.

Respectfully disagree. This team hasn't been competitive for a long, long time. At best, it's been a mediocre team/franchise that without exception always loses to the better teams in the league. That is the measuring rod to me - can you beat the better teams (let's say top 10). See, that has been the story-line for this franchise, good enough in some aspects (i.e., not the dregs), but never, ever good enough as a complete team. We beat a weak Tampa team a couple years ago in a comeback and evryone thinks "magic." When the truth is a good team should never be in that position in the first place.

I recall the year we thought we had a good, competitive team. We travel up to New England and are annihilated. It's a chimera. We're never competitive in the sense of we routinely beat the weaker teams and can beat a top team now and then. We seem to have issues winning home games with regularity. The team culture of talking big but playing small seems deeply entrenched to me. And I don't see a FO or coaching staff that can or will change that. Think of it as a mapquest choice: we can take the shortest route by milage, quickest route by time or the longest route route with the greatest number of stop lights. We seem forever consigned to the last. Whatever the analogy, I think most of us will concede that win or lose, the football itself has been bad to boring. Yea, nice winning from time to time, but the quality of actual football has, in the mean, been boring. Year after year: too many penalties, bad line play on one or both sides of the ball, coaches out-maneuvered by opposing coaches, no long-term solution to QB issues, fix one problem but create others, idiotic coach selections, no return on FA signings, players with drug busts, continual drama.......we've had superbowl coaches come in who couldn't estbalish long-term consistency over 2-3 years.

One, big friggin strip tease where the clothes never really come off to reveal the full body of a good team - let alone a team that can compete with the best.

And so we return to off-season wondering who the coach and QB will be next season, whether we can draft in the first three rounds players to fill 15 rounds of need, whether injured players can recover to be injured again, watching the Eagles, Giants or Cowboys in the playoffs and/or Superbowl.

So, go wideout in the first round or offensive line?

addendum...still luv ya Boone. The Skins are nearing the edge where they risk losing a huge portion of their fanbase. A declining NFL product may push it over that edge.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're confusing ‘competitive' with ‘good'. Perennially .500 teams are, by definition, competitive. That's why they win about as often as they lose. What you're describing is a good to above average team - which we are not and have not been.

We hate following and rooting for a team that continually disappoints. It sucks. But we aren't a ‘disaster' or ‘embarrassment' as many fans, in their anger, describe us. We only occasionally look like a good team and only very rarely look like a very good team. We have and do beat very good NFL teams occasionally.

But yeah, you're right. That's not nearly good enough.

But we aren't a ‘disaster' or ‘embarrassment' as many fans, in their anger, describe us. We only occasionally look like a good team and only very rarely look like a very good team. We have and do beat very good NFL teams occasionally.

I saw a statistic recently that was a testament to the Pats, and the most 10 win seasons over the past 20 years. (Which really isn't a testament to them since they play in the worst division in the NFL, they're guaranteed 5 wins a season)

The unfortunate part of that stat was that we were 4th worst on the list with just 3 - 10 win seasons in 20 years.

I could not find that statistic, but here is a link to the overall best/worst teams in the NFL over the past 20 years. We rank 27th in the NFL with a record of 136-184. That is the bottom 25% of the league.

Over the past 10 years, we've had less winning records than we did in the previous 10 years...a worse record with Bruce Allen than Vinny Cerrato.

I respect your definition of competitive, but the reality is we are a laughing stock.

The biggest issue I see is we've tried nothing but patchwork fixes over the years instead of admitting we need a full rebuild. I don't think Snyder or some of the fans have the stomach for it but I'd eat crow for a few years to finally get the team into a comfortably competitive situation instead of this fingers crossed hope we manage to win enough and the nfc east teams lose enough to sneak into the playoffs. Plus a few years of us being brutal, I mean brutal frees up my Sundays. Eh who am I kidding I'd still be watching.

The biggest issue I see is we've tried nothing but patchwork fixes over the years instead of admitting we need a full rebuild. I don't think Snyder or some of the fans have the stomach for it but I'd eat crow for a few years to finally get the team into a comfortably competitive situation instead of this fingers crossed hope we manage to win enough and the nfc east teams lose enough to sneak into the playoffs. Plus a few years of us being brutal, I mean brutal frees up my Sundays. Eh who am I kidding I'd still be watching.

You're probably right Orlando. Problem is - they don't know how even if the desire were in place.

You're confusing ‘competitive' with ‘good'. Perennially .500 teams are, by definition, competitive. That's why they win about as often as they lose. What you're describing is a good to above average team - which we are not and have not been.

We hate following and rooting for a team that continually disappoints. It sucks. But we aren't a ‘disaster' or ‘embarrassment' as many fans, in their anger, describe us. We only occasionally look like a good team and only very rarely look like a very good team. We have and do beat very good NFL teams occasionally.

But yeah, you're right. That's not nearly good enough.

I could counter with "competitive with whom"? i.e., redefine your implicit definition of scope. As it is, not worth tangling over this. btw...El beat me to the punch....but I do believe that in the aggregate the Skins have had a losing record since at least Shottenheimer (less than .500).

It is what it is as the saying goes.

Not directed at you, but I wonder how many Skins' players are like Foster - secretly contemptuous (i.e., silent Swearingers) of the team and its fans. A lot more than anyone cares to speculate would be my guess.

Eh who am I kidding I'd still be watching.

I might be watching on regular season Sundays, but one thing will be different. I will not fall for the hype of offseason aquisitions, training camp, preseason, etc. I won't even fall for the hype if we start out strong. Considering we started 5-2 this year.
I won't believe the hype til we put in 16 games that guarantees us a playoff spot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 4, Members: 0, Guests: 4)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.