• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

All I am saying is that the departure of McVay does NOT in fact need to be repeated with others.

We don't have anyone else as a front office/team executive that is outstanding to let Schaffer depart.

We don't have anyone else in the personnel/scouting chain to let Kyle Smith depart.

And I don't necessarily think they would depart if they were given a commitment by the organization, much as Todd Reirden was by the Capitals.

Notice that Reirden was inquired of by several teams even before the Caps won the Cup in 2018 and he didn't interview for those jobs.

McClelland had already told him he was going to be the future coach in Washington when Trotz's term was over.

Not sure McVay would've even been open to it, both for the optics, and knowing the organization.

That's what Keim said.
SM may not even have accepted the offer.
In fact, for all we know, he may have actually been offered the job, in a subtle way, and turned it down.

Snyder to SM : Sean, let's just hypothetically tomorrow that Jay was struck by a comet, and no longer able to coach. Would you be interested in his job ?
Sean : No.

If that is true, then it is that much more important to have the GM hire precede the other moves to show the organization means business in regards to change.

Ok DC market guys, what is being said on the radio? Because I just ran into a Skins fan who mentioned Nick Saban out of the blue. This guy is not a fan obsessed like many of us, and didn't have time to ask for source material. Just wondering if the rumors are being circulated to guage fan temperature.

I brought up Nick Saban for the simple fact that the Redskins are depending so heavily upon his ability to develop and deliver NFL ready players to the NFL.

Yes, he gets 4 and 5 star level talent at Alabama but there are other programs that get all-star recruits and they show up clueless in the NFL after dominating in college.

He would also have the advantage for several years as Jimmy Johnson did in knowing which college players around the country the team should draft to help out the front office.

That's how the Cowboys got Hall of Famers like Emmitt Smith and Darren Woodson when other teams passed on them.

I brought up Nick Saban for the simple fact that the Redskins are depending so heavily upon his ability to develop and deliver NFL ready players to the NFL.

Yes, he gets 4 and 5 star level talent at Alabama but there are other programs that get all-star recruits and they show up clueless in the NFL after dominating in college.

He would also have the advantage for several years as Jimmy Johnson did in knowing which college players around the country the team should draft to help out the front office.

That's how the Cowboys got Hall of Famers like Emmitt Smith and Darren Woodson when other teams passed on them.

I know, but I am asking about any rumors going around in the media, because this guy just brought up Nick Saban out of the blue, like not even 48 hours after we were discussing it here. He doesn't even know what this site is.

I think it's been discussed on Twitter as well - I mean, what HASN'T been discussed on Twitter in terms of blowing it all up again :)

If there were some planned major change, doubt your friend would have any way to know about it, right?

I'm so fatigued of it all. Normally, a big blow up would at least provide some distraction and potential for 'things are finally going to change'. I will not be able to muster an iota of excitement over the next one. I just don't see things changing - ever - as long as Snyder owns this team.

I think it's been discussed on Twitter as well - I mean, what HASN'T been discussed on Twitter in terms of blowing it all up again :)

If there were some planned major change, doubt your friend would have any way to know about it, right?

I'm so fatigued of it all. Normally, a big blow up would at least provide some distraction and potential for 'things are finally going to change'. I will not be able to muster an iota of excitement over the next one. I just don't see things changing - ever - as long as Snyder owns this team.

That's what I don't get. All the people I hear saying we should **** up the team, are also Snyder/Allen haters. So what good would it do to **** up the team, if the person truly believes SnyderAllen is the problem. We'll just end up back where we started. On one hand, they're acting like SnyderAllen is the problem, and on the other hand they're acting like the players are the problem.
So, I say **** ****ing up the team !

I don't even think he has a twitter feed...I think radio is really his only form of media as far as the Skins goes. Just curious if rumors are swirling in DC media, I was just taken aback by his comment.

The more I think about it, the more I like Saban coming to DC, depending on who can get him players. The man is a disciplinarian who does get the most out of his players. I would just be concerned about him giving up if say, the University of Miami or USC or some other major powerhouse in need of rebuilding in the NCAA, came calling .

Thoughts re Saban...

I can't see why he would leave Bama to come to the Skins. He is making himself a legend at a college that already had one of those. If he stays there he will eclipse Bear Bryant as the greatest coach in the history of the school, which really makes him the GOAT of college football coaches. He is making stupid money in a little big town where he is THE big fish. Why leave that for the dysfunctional Redskins?

On top of that, it isn't like he hasn't tried the pro gig. His stint in Miami wasn't exactly a great gig. Perhaps he has figured some things out since then and perhaps the pros just isn't his bag. I'd certainly be wondering that if I were an owner of a pro team looking for it's next coach.

Don't get me wrong, I see the allure but my question is, how good is he day in and day out when the talent level is closer than he typically has to deal with at Bama?

Thoughts re Saban...

I can't see why he would leave Bama to come to the Skins. He is making himself a legend at a college that already had one of those. If he stays there he will eclipse Bear Bryant as the greatest coach in the history of the school, which really makes him the GOAT of college football coaches. He is making stupid money in a little big town where he is THE big fish. Why leave that for the dysfunctional Redskins?

On top of that, it isn't like he hasn't tried the pro gig. His stint in Miami wasn't exactly a great gig. Perhaps he has figured some things out since then and perhaps the pros just isn't his bag. I'd certainly be wondering that if I were an owner of a pro team looking for it's next coach.

Don't get me wrong, I see the allure but my question is, how good is he day in and day out when the talent level is closer than he typically has to deal with at Bama?

I've just been seeing his name mentioned a lot over the course of the last 3 days in places I wouldn't expect.

I think you're hitting the ball in the park with your assessment, but he already surpassed Bear Bryant. They have the same amount of national championships, but Saban has won one less in less than half the time at Bama. Not to mention, the allure of Bear Bryant will wither since he refused to play black players. Saban is likely to win #7 so he will surpass Bryant.

As for the difficulty of coming to DC and winning, you're right. He did face much of the same in Miami and did not want to even attempt it, jumping ship as soon as possible. My argument from the start was that I'd hate to see him do the same here when he saw out dysfunction. Ax is correct, we'd have to expect the same quit. I am just yearning for the day we have a coach who truly is in control of his football team.

It's all moot at this point anyway, Gruden is about to win out and we're about to win the division anyway. Tampa and the Giants to our rescue!!!

Congrats to AP, who got his 1,000 yards yesterday. I'm sure his best running will be in a couple of weeks when he runs as fast as he can away from the Snyder train wreck. I can't even imagine where this team would be had they not picked him up from the trash heap

Congrats to AP, who got his 1,000 yards yesterday. I'm sure his best running will be in a couple of weeks when he runs as fast as he can away from the Snyder train wreck. I can't even imagine where this team would be had they not picked him up from the trash heap

No harder to imagine that than it would be to imagine what we might have gotten from Darius Guice had he not torn his ACL right out of the gate.

But yeah, it was genius to pick him up when no one else thought he had anything left in the tank. And he lived up to every bit of the hype. Guy is an absolute first ballot Hall of Famer. I believe he's a loyal guy, and he's going to give the Skins first pass at signing him for the next couple years. With Guice coming off an ACL, having him to carry the load or split carries early, would really be nice. There's also the invaluable experience Guice can glean from one of the greatest RBs of all time both in terms of how to be a devastating RB in the NFL, and how to be a true professional. And don't forget - Peterson came back quicker from his own ACL than any player ever has - and has some insight into what that takes as well.

Ap in B&G depends entirely upon the front office, and coaching staff. If Gruden is here, and we re-sign AP, it would indicate a level of support and respect for Gruden. If everyone gets fired and AP decided to stay, it would probably mean he didn't respect that coaching staff.

With that said, I'd be surprised to see AP in B&G next year, and I'm ok with it. We cannot depend on a 34 year old RB.

I don't think anybody wants to depend on him, El.

But his presence in the RB room, and the team, is immeasurable. Just for work ethic alone.
And, if Guice is able to be all that the experts say he can be, then him and AP would make for a stellar 1-2 punch.

I don't think anybody wants to depend on him, El.

But his presence in the RB room, and the team, is immeasurable. Just for work ethic alone.
And, if Guice is able to be all that the experts say he can be, then him and AP would make for a stellar 1-2 punch.

AP is the type of runner who needs a lot of touches. I don't see him as the type to share carries, unless they did it like New England does....whole series where the RB gets the ball, then give the next man up a series, then go back. But how would that bode for Guice?

And I agree about his leadership, and the value of his knowledge for a young Guice. I just think we can find it in a more effective, younger player more accustomed to the shared role. AP is old school...he needs 20-25 touches.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 7, Members: 0, Guests: 7)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.