• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

Is the above enough to show Bruce the door?

Is the above enough to show Bruce the door?

He needs to be shown the door.

JP Finlay was on Sheehan's blog talking about Bruce and management were telling the coaches they wanted no Dline rotation,wanted the high picks on the field all the time(earlier in the year), and that HHCD had to play because they traded for him.

What a way to run a franchise, huh?

At least one team has Redskins senior VP Eric Schaffer "at the top of their list" for Pres./Football Ops. candidates, a source tells @Russellmania621. It would be a "death blow" to Dan Snyder if Schaffer left, the source says. https://t.co/Ih37s6fzPc

Isn't Schaffer more a numbers guy than a people guy?

Kyle Smith is probably the only person I would like to keep in the FO. Schaeffer might be good and worth keeping, but I am guessing it's much easier to replace a number cruncher than a solid talent evaluator.

Tess Way got snubbed so hard! Seahawks rookie punter over the best punter in the NFL?! At least he is a alternate. :/ But screw that.

Tess Way got snubbed so hard! Seahawks rookie punter over the best punter in the NFL?! At least he is a alternate. :/ But screw that.

Facts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't get Snyder. If he has half a brain in his head he can read. And any reputable sports publication or media resources can show what Bruce Allen did in previous stops in Oakland and Tampa.

Telling the coaches what players to play on Sundays is something that no coach should put up with. It's just a sign that Gruden is in it to make his dollars. A coach with a resume would have walked away from that kind of oversight, confident he could find another job in the league.

One move I questioned at the time was making the trade for Alex Smith without even asking Gruden about him. The front office made the move and just assumed Gruden could and would want to work with him in this offense.

I can't think of another team in the league that would operate that way especially when they have an offensive minded head coach, as you hired him largely for his expertise on THAT side of the ball.

But that tracks through with Bruce's move to trade three #1 picks for Robert Griffin III. Shanahan evidently was an observer rather than a participant in this process and once again the outcome was less than hoped for long-term.

I don't get Snyder. People on the radio keep saying 'well, Snyder doesn't know who to turn to' to replace Allen or hire a new coach.

How about bringing in the Assistant GM for every successful franchise in the NFL as a starting point and and trying to hire the executive FIRST and then allow him to hire the Head Coach?

Not everyone would want to work here, but there are only 32 GM jobs in the NFL and Snyder has the resources to make the job appealing in regards to compensation.

How can it get any worse?

So far this season we have traded for a safety in Dix that hasn't contributed much. We signed a linebacker, Reuben Foster, that won't be eligible to play this season and probably most or all of 2019 as well.

We also lost Simmie Cobbs from the practice squad despite the fact we had only 52 players on the active roster the week that New Orleans claimed him.

We didn't even have to release anyone to protect Cobbs.

Here we are keeping Perine on the roster for 16 weeks but making him inactive for all but a couple of games.

With Peterson 33 years old it might have been nice to have a #2 back that could have come in and provided a the second half of a 1-2 punch at tailback.

But we can't trust Perine to hold onto the football or be an adequate pass blocker.

So, why is he still on the team?

Other teams seem to find running backs on the street or off other team's practice squads, etc. there is no reason to keep Perine other than potential embarrassment about another blown draft pick.

Galdi this morning on WTEM reflected on Bruce's 2014 draft. Except for Morgan Moses these guys are almost all gone.

Meanwhile, we traded down with Dallas in Round 2 to allow them to select DeMarcus Lawrence :rifle:

Telling the coaches what players to play on Sundays is something that no coach should put up with. It's just a sign that Gruden is in it to make his dollars. A coach with a resume would have walked away from that kind of oversight, confident he could find another job in the league.

One move I questioned at the time was making the trade for Alex Smith without even asking Gruden about him. The front office made the move and just assumed Gruden could and would want to work with him in this offense.

Hey BD - I have seen references to Snyder telling coaches who to play, but can you give more info on this? There's a lot of stuff said on Twitter, and some of it is actually true :) I just don't know the details on the latest as far as Snyder doing things he shouldn't be doing as an owner?

On the Alex Smith pick - I've seen you post that before, and while most of your post is dead-on, I think that specific criticism is a red herring. Gruden responded to that characterization at the time by stating that they had already gone through and graded all of the potential Cousins replacements as a coaching and scouting group with full participation by everyone who needed to be involved, and that Alex Smith was rated at or near the top of the candidate list. Now, it's possible he was just being a 'good soldier' there and covering for yet more franchise dysfunction. But if you take him at his word, the acquisition of Smith was not some nefarious autocratic manuever by Allen or Snyder. It was based on already agreed upon preferences with coaching and scouting input.

I have no problem gutting Snyder and Allen on multiple fronts. But I think in the case of Smith's acquisition, the media was looking for controversy and tried to manufacture it where there probably wasn't any.

What happened was that JP was on the Galdi show on WTEM and reported that sources indicated Bruce Allen had dictated to the coaching staff that certain players needed to play and others should be phased out, etc.

I was surprised when I heard the comments that the meddling from Bruce went that far, but it seems reasonable to believe given how the coaches have refused to bench certain players when they don't perform and why other players get the quick hook or end up being released without being given a full chance to show what they can do.

What happened was that JP was on the Galdi show on WTEM and reported that sources indicated Bruce Allen had dictated to the coaching staff that certain players needed to play and others should be phased out, etc.

I was surprised when I heard the comments that the meddling from Bruce went that far, but it seems reasonable to believe given how the coaches have refused to bench certain players when they don't perform and why other players get the quick hook or end up being released without being given a full chance to show what they can do.

Well, the problem is that it doesn't sound out of the realm of possibility - right?

On the other hand, what if the 'sources' were guys like Kapri Bibbs or Simmie Cobbs? In other words, always possible that that kind of rumor is nothing more than sour grapes from a player who isn't getting the playing time they feel they deserve?

I guess my feelings are, looking at things like the Alex Smith trade and the latest 'controversy' is that there are plenty of things we KNOW have transpired in order to criticize this owner and FO without having to add in what really is supposition and rumor...

Boone, the Cobbs incident made this football team look really bad.

Here we had a player at a position where our regulars were not exactly lighting it up and we were only carrying 52 players on the roster and we failed to protect him and allowed the team with the best record in the league to take him and add him to their team.

Evidently, Gruden thought Cobbs had talent because he admitted after the fact that the team should have brought him up to the active roster and it was a 'mistake we made'.

In regards to Bibbs, he was a Joe Gibbs type player. A guy comes in without a big pedigree, good work ethic, is durable and makes plays for the team when he is in the game.

So, we let Bibbs go to keep Byron Marshall and Samaje Perine?

Marshall has been unable stay healthy in either Philadelphia or Washington for any stretch of games and showed how poor his pass protection skills were when Smith got hurt.

Perine, meanwhile, has been inactive for the majority of the team's games and showed last year that he wasn't quick enough off the ball to be an effective everydown rusher and couldn't be trusted to hold onto the football.

Bibbs wasn't going to make the pro bowl, but like players Gibbs kept around like Nick Giaquinto, Clarence Harmon, etc. he maximized what he could do and the team could count on that contribution.

Of course Bibbs was immediately picked up by the Green Bay Packers as a receiving back for Aaron Rodgers.

But he wasn't good enough to be a BACKUP here in Washington with Josh Johnson at quarterback, Josh Doctson and Jamison Crowder at wide receiver and backup runners like Marshall and Perine that have proven nothing?

Well, after the case of Sean McVay in 2017 there is no way that Snyder should let Shaffer out of the building.

Bruce Allen has to go in any event, if it takes promoting Schaffer and Kyle Smith to keep them then that's what we should be focusing on doing behind the scenes.

It's a tribute to how POORLY Bruce Allen and Jay Gruden are managing the performance of the team that we consistently develop guys like McVay, Schaffer and Smith that go on to be jewels in the crown for OTHER teams.

With all this managerial talent IN HOUSE how come we can't make it work for us?

It's a tribute to how POORLY Bruce Allen and Jay Gruden are managing the performance of the team that we consistently develop guys like McVay, Schaffer and Smith that go on to be jewels in the crown for OTHER teams.

We consistently develop guys that go on to have success elsewhere?

Aside from Sean McVay, am I missing someone over the last 20 years? Scott Campbell? Vinny?

That's been one of the huge problems here, we haven't even had good assistant coaches that later found success around the league.

McVay... only thing that could have been done to keep him was fire Gruden and promote him. The optics of that would have been dreadful unless McVay had the same success here as in LA.

It's been a common stereotype that the ‘Skins lose home-grown talent who goes on to have success elsewhere, but I can't remember for the life of me who even the last player was.

Look - we'd all love for McVay to somehow end up as our HC in DC - but there was no way for that to happen with a relatively young HC in Gruden, and no 'firing' on the horizon. Not sure McVay would've even been open to it, both for the optics, and knowing the organization. Another way to look at it would be that although Gruden takes a lot of heat, the development of younger coaches doesn't happen in a vacuum and I suspect he had more than a little to do with growing McVay and some of the other young coaching talent.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 5, Members: 0, Guests: 5)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.