• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

I don't care who they sign. As long as it ain't CrapperDick.

Well, the one thing I can say about Gruden, he says he discussed bringing Krappernick in, but decided against it because he doesn't know the system at all.

Well, the one thing I can say about Gruden, he says he discussed bringing Krappernick in, but decided against it because he doesn't know the system at all.

Only reason they'd even consider it would be PR to appease the social justice warrior/white knighting/virtue signaling mob.

Josh Johnson is a joke.

Brian Mitchell hit the nail on the head today on WTEM.

Gruden is not that good of a coach if the only things he is looking for in replacement players like Sanchez and Johnson is that they have been in a similar system before.

Joe Gibbs, Bill Parcells, Bill Belichick and other top coaches are able to ADAPT their offense and defensive units to the talent on hand.

Gibbs and Belichick are really superior in doing that IN SEASON.

We went from Joe Theismann to Jay Schroeder in 1985 and went 5-1 down the stretch to finish 10-6.

Belichick was able to win 11 games with Matt Cassel as the starter, a guy that didn't even play regularly in college.

He also won games with Jacoby Brissett and Ryan Mallett.

Gruden should be able to tailor his game plan on the fly for a quarterback that may be an RPO guy or a pocket passer with a downfield arm, etc.

There HAS to be someone out there with a better 2018 profile than Josh Johnson.

He was crappy even when he started games back in 2011 for the Bucs.

Midgets jousting ON ostriches might actually get me to enter the Peoples Republic of Maryland for a few hours.

My halftime shows would make the Cesar's jealous, every week is a different theme. Dwarves in Thunderdome (8ft high) cage, Vinny pinata night, Roman candle fight night where we have a candle war with 70K people.

I'd also incorporate something where every game there's roughly 20 random fans get offered to see the rest of the game in a suite, season ticket holders get to pick the stadium playlist for the game duration, disco night, etc.

My halftime shows would make the Cesar's jealous, every week is a different theme. Dwarves in Thunderdome (8ft high) cage, Vinny pinata night, Roman candle fight night where we have a candle war with 70K people.

I'd also incorporate something where every game there's roughly 20 random fans get offered to see the rest of the game in a suite, season ticket holders get to pick the stadium playlist for the game duration, disco night, etc.

Two enter, only one leaves.

That... would... be... AWESOME!!!

Plus, the game stuff. That would be cool, too LOL!

Josh Johnson is a joke.

Gruden is not that good of a coach if the only things he is looking for in replacement players like Sanchez and Johnson is that they have been in a similar system before.

Joe Gibbs, Bill Parcells, Bill Belichick and other top coaches are able to ADAPT their offense and defensive units to the talent on hand.

We went from Joe Theismann to Jay Schroeder in 1985 and went 5-1 down the stretch to finish 10-6.

Belichick was able to win 11 games with Matt Cassel as the starter, a guy that didn't even play regularly in college.

Gruden should be able to tailor his game plan on the fly for a quarterback that may be an RPO guy or a pocket passer with a downfield arm, etc.

You do realize that Gruden has thrown in the towel on the rest of the season, right?

I mean, on MNF, with 3:16 left in the game,4th down and he elects to punt knowing that they'll never get the ball back...that's when he decided it's over.

And today, putting his pet project in Trey Quinn on IR along with Dunbar....he knows the season is shot.

Not saying it's right to give up at 6-6 but Jay's telling you he's done and just going through the motions.

Obviously he hasn't gotten it done. Doesn't mean he hasn't tried however and hasn't done what he could to win. He certainly hasn't been blessed with luck and/or overwhelming talent. I think he's worked hard and conducted himself as a professional though - and I'd say the same thing about Jim Zorn.

I agree wholeheartedly with you on the shituation Jay's been put in. Not many coaches could turn a street team into a respectable unit due to all the injuries. I don't hate Jay but he's had ample opportunity to correct the usual suspects like clock management, false starts, missed assignments, etc. IMHO. That's part of why I think Jay would accept being let go without much objection this offseason. It'd be better for the team and him both to start fresh and go in a different direction.

Hell i'd hope he can get on with Cleveland, Cincy, or even with John and the raida's. The best thing Jay could get that he's obviously not getting here is management/staff support to nudge him and tell him like it is when his gameplan is failing. Maybe he's too stubborn to adjust, or it could be the assistant coaches aren't speaking up when they should.

Jay Gruden is as much a victim of his own poor judgment as anything else.

Over the summer I kept waiting for him to stand up and tell Allen and Williams he needed veteran help at wide receiver, that no one on the team had shown the ability to step up and be a 'go to' guy on third down or in the red zone.

We signed Paul Richardson, a complementary player, from Seattle and drafted Trey Quinn in the 7th round.

That's coming off a season in 2017 when Kirk Cousins didn't have anyone to throw the ball to either.

Who's that on?

Don't tell me that Gruden is so beaten down and impotent at Redskins Park that he couldn't have said last February 'hey, I need a real pro at WR to have a productive year on offense and we have to get that player whether in free agency, trade, etc'.

And if the answer is that the front office came up with Paul Richardson, Gruden should have been smart enough to look at the player's history and respond that he was hurt 2 of the 4 years he was in Seattle and was not a guy that was going to be productive working the intermediate zones which is the staple of this system.

Shawn Lauvao? Again, Lauvao has been here for 5 years. He was one of the lowest rated guards by PFF in back to back years.

Again, where was Gruden to make sure this was addressed?

When the same problems come back year after year and the same guy is at the helm you have to start to question HIS approach.

And if he isn't capable of influencing the front office to address these areas than that also shows us something about him as well.

I don't care who they sign. As long as it ain't CrapperDick.

Bingo! Without going into details I listened to Al Galdi make a case for Crapperdick on his radio sjow this morning. He started out stating he was "past the politics" and then proceeded to lay out a political argument that was so dishonest that I had to switch to another station. I will now boycot any product Galdi pushes.

Bringing Crapperdick to DC would be the biggest mistake imaginable - but would fit the Redskins journey of self-destruction. Bringing that person here would serve one purpose only - turning the team and the nation's capital into a platform for his political views. It would descend into a three ring circus within hours.

I don't care how awful Josh Johnson is/might be. Anyone but Crapperdick, his drama, deep rooted psychological problems and agenda.

Sanchez's presser today was pretty good. He's a team guy....not a meme guy like Crapperdick.

Galdi became as embarrassing as Florio. I apologize on behalf of anyone with a vowel at the end of his last name... ;)

I can't believe Allen's name has allowed him to remain in the building this long. When he turned on Shanahan and went down the road with Snyder on the RGIII thing I knew Allen was doing nothing but wasting our time, he wasn't going to build a winner here.

in terms of Gruden, the entire family has been living off the Super Bowl win by Jon back in 2002. Jay was an assistant on that staff and got a ring.

Jon himself was named coach of the Raiders off that win 16 years ago.

When are people going to wake up and realize that these guys may have hit lightning once but it very likely won't happen twice.

Even Jimmy Johnson and guys like George Seifert that won 2 Super Bowls were unable to come close to that kind of success on their follow-on teams.

Jay Gruden hit his plateau in Cincinnati. He had Marvin Lewis to deliver the discipline and the front office gave him AJ Green, Giovanni Bernard, Tyler Eifert and Andy Dalton to work with along with Mohamed Sanu and some very good OL.

Like Norv he could work to develop his gameplans without having to worry about the 100 other things that dog NFL head coaches around during the week in terms of other commitments and responsibilities.

Norv could never learn to build a team and motivate it to excel in 11 or 12 years as a HC.

Gruden is in Year 5 but he seems headed down the same path.

I guess Norv's renaissance in Carolina with Cam Newton has hit some snags the past 4 weeks? :)

Josh Johnson is a joke.

all of those play the same type of pro style football. Just insert backup and go. Keapernick would need a totally different system that relies on a gimmick offense, neither Gibbs nor bellichick would take him this late in the season especially behind an offensive line that has this many backups

How about Jay Cutler?

He's a pocket qb with a strong arm and the ability to get the ball in the hands of receivers. He has his drawbacks but compared to Sanchez and Johnson Cutler is a Hall of Famer.

while we are talking about street free agents in this thread and not guys with bright NFL futures, you would have to admit that Jay Cutler had a better NFL career than Mark Sanchez or Josh Johnson. Heck, Johnson has played far less at age 33 than Patrick Mahomes has already played being in the league only a year and half.

Cutler can throw the ball down the field and that is the ONLY threat a defense at this point is going to fear from Washington, if any at all.

The Redskins with the compromised offensive line can't run the ball and Gruden absolutely refuses to use the backs and TEs in a short pass heavy scheme, so the best option appears to be having a qb that can hit the big play, even if only occasionally.

I can completely understand why people would want to look at bringing on Jay Cutler, on paper. He has better stats, better tools, etc.

In execution though? The guy is a quitter. He is arrogant. He seemingly has long lost the competitive edge. In a season where people are not wanting to see the team quit, he would be at the forefront of giving up.

Not worth spending the money. Save that money in the cap to next year, when there is a chance of something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.