• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

I'm totally ready to judge Allen on the Smith trade. It was another young-for-old trade, with a coach/GM who had already once fleeced us on a young-for-old QB trade a few years ago. Before his injury, Smith looked like a shell of his former self, just like McNabb did when he came here. Can we blame Allen for Smith getting injured? No. But over-reaction and lack of patience and lack of business savvy and inability to successfully gauge talent at the QB spot ... that has plagued this team for basically the entire time Allen has been here. As a one-off, I suppose a GM could be forgiven for trading a pick and a promising young player for a 34 year-old journeyman QB. But taken within the context of the McNabb disaster, the RGIII disaster, the complete and utter botching of the Cousins situation ... Smith playing like crap and not making it through a full season is unforgivable.

I'm totally ready to judge Allen on the Smith trade. It was another young-for-old trade, with a coach/GM who had already once fleeced us on a young-for-old QB trade a few years ago. Before his injury, Smith looked like a shell of his former self, just like McNabb did when he came here. Can we blame Allen for Smith getting injured? No. But over-reaction and lack of patience and lack of business savvy and inability to successfully gauge talent at the QB spot ... that has plagued this team for basically the entire time Allen has been here. As a one-off, I suppose a GM could be forgiven for trading a pick and a promising young player for a 34 year-old journeyman QB. But taken within the context of the McNabb disaster, the RGIII disaster, the complete and utter botching of the Cousins situation ... Smith playing like crap and not making it through a full season is unforgivable.

You have me with yo with most of that. But the last sentence - did he really ‘play like crap'? To me that would mean missing WRs left and right, turning it over a lot, etc... His receivers did not help him early on, and frankly we just haven't been calling a lot of passes with AP rolling. The passing game has been anemic, but I don't think Smith has played like crap and the injury could've happened to anyone we had back there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I think you're splitting hairs here, Boone, but if you prefer replace "playing like crap" with "ranking 27th in passing yards per game, 26th in completion percentage, 30th in yards per attempt, 27th in passer rating, and 26th in QBR" ... we can do that. I think my point stands.

Last edited:
Well, I think you're splitting hairs here, Boone, but if you prefer replace "playing like crap" with "ranking 27th in passing yards per game, 26th in completion percentage, 30th in yards per attempt, 27th in passer rating, and 26th in QBR" ... we can do that. I think my point stands.

I hear you brother - I guess I just don't see his play as being anywhere near the disaster you guys seem to feel it was. His performance can't be divorced from the play of those around him nor from the offensive plan and play calling overall which has minimized the passing game all year long.

I don't know if he'll be back, just feel writing him off as a blown acquisition is premature.

Here's the two issues I had with the Smith trade.

One, we were trading for a 34 year old quarterback who had just come off the only season of his 13 year career where he was a top 5 rated passer in terms of qb rating. So, we were buying high on an asset that due to father time was guaranteed to be a declining one within a year or two even if he came in and played well.

Two, we gave Alex Smith a rich contract extension despite the fact we didn't know if his 2017 performance in KC with a very talented offense would translate to Washington where the wide receiving corps was rated [URL=https://www.bgobsession.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=2]#2 9[/URL] in the NFL before the season by Pro Football Focus.

We could have made the trade and had Smith play out the last year of his deal to show us what we could expect to see.

Did it carry some risk?

Yes. But then again, even after coming off a 2017 season where he was rated a top 5 passer, the list of suitors for Smith came down to teams other than the Redskins that were like the Broncos that wanted to trade the salary of a 31 year old Aqib Talib to KC or a Buffalo team that was also dangling a mid-round pick in 2019.

So, the price on Smith for 2019 as a pending free agent if we wanted to keep him was likely not going to be more than what we gifted him in the contract extension in January.

Now, with Smith's health in question the Redskins are likely to do what I thought they should have done in the first place.

Start Colt McCoy as a transitional figure after Kirk left and draft a quarterback for the future.

Unfortunately, 2018 seemed to be the year of the quarterback and 2019 seems to be a class that is not too deep.

But it's a necessary step.

With the salary cap it is no secret teams like the Rams, Chiefs, Eagles, etc. with quarterbacks playing on rookie contracts are at a distinct advantage and able to go out and surround these passers with solid pickups in trades and free agency.

Teams with older quarterbacks that are true franchise performers like Brady, Brees, Roethlisberger, etc. are able to go into the draft and find guys like Antonio Brown, James Conner, Michael Thomas, Alvin Kamara OUTSIDE of the first round and bring them in to supplement their stars.

Here in Washington we are caught once again in between - in 'no man's land'.

We are paying Smith $71M in guaranteed money and while that is not the top salary at the position it surely looks to be above what his numbers and overall play in 2018 seem to be worth.

His backup, McCoy, is slated to make $7M in 2019 if he stays.

So, on a cap basis that looks something like $23M and $7M = $30M for the quarterback position.

On a value basis does the 34 year old Smith and 32 year old McCoy make sense for almost $30M in 2019?

The Redskins always seem to get into these situations where they are overpaying players rather than getting them on the cheap.

And in most cases it goes back to the impulsiveness of Allen, Snyder and the front office.

We simply HAD to have RGIII in 2012 so we traded away 4 high picks to get one player. Rash.

With Cousins leaving in free agency, we did the same thing.

Trying to remedy a past failing with a quick fix.

That doesn't work that often unless you are a VERY shrewd personnel manager and in sports like baseball where there is no hard salary cap.

I point to the Steelers.

Le'Veon Bell is one of the best running backs in the NFL. He is sitting out the season and the Steelers basically told him to stay home after Week 8.

Are they crushed? No, because they used a #3 pick on James Conner who looks like a pro bowl caliber back.

Meanwhile, Pittsburgh in letting Martavius Bryant go a year ago didn't panic at the wide receiver position and simply used their #2 draft pick to take JuJu Smith Shuster, another highly productive player for the Steelers at age 23.

The Steelers just continue drafting. They didn't go out and overpay a free agent. They didn't make an in-season trade for a running back or wide receiver.

New England did the same thing. They lost Nate Solder and Dion Lewis in free agency, guys that helped them win a couple of Super Bowls, and they just drafted replacements.

Belichick will go out and trade for a player or sign a free agent, but it is almost always when HE wants to do so, not because another team has his back up against a wall to make a deal.

If the deal isn't a value trade then he moves on.

The Redskins don't do that.

We gave Paul Richardson $40M based on one season where in a pass happy league he had under 1,000 yards receiving.

Richardson is a one trick pony, a small guy that can go deep but who also gets hurt almost every year.

Compare that to the Steelers and Patriots who also looked to upgrade at wide receiver.

They got Shuster and Josh Gordon.

The Patriots gave up essentially a #6 pick for Gordon to balance any risk on their end of Gordon failing a drug test.

Both players count for little against these teams' caps and provide a lot more in terms of on the field potential and production.

That's why these teams are going to the playoffs and winning while the Redskins will probably watch the playoffs at home on TV.

Again.

I hear you brother - I guess I just don't see his play as being anywhere near the disaster you guys seem to feel it was. His performance can't be divorced from the play of those around him nor from the offensive plan and play calling overall which has minimized the passing game all year long.

I don't know if he'll be back, just feel writing him off as a blown acquisition is premature.

Oh, it may not be all Smith's fault that his performance has been ... not awesome. But it's not awesome nonetheless.

And I am of the opinion that if you are trading away youth for a 34 year-old QB, that QB absolutely HAS to be able to hit the ground running. He's old. We don't have time to let him get comfortable with the players and the system and the alignment of the planets. Because he's old. He's only going to slow down and get worse and need more support as the years go by. We don't want to him to get ok with his surroundings right about the time he'll need to be replaced.

That's why I really really really don't like trading for 34 year-old QBs. It doesn't really matter WHY Smith took so long to get it going. It just matters that it did.

Or it would have, had he not just suffered a brutal season-ending injury. That's just a cherry on the **** sundae.

Oh, it may not be all Smith's fault that his performance has been ... not awesome. But it's not awesome nonetheless.

And I am of the opinion that if you are trading away youth for a 34 year-old QB, that QB absolutely HAS to be able to hit the ground running. He's old. We don't have time to let him get comfortable with the players and the system and the alignment of the planets. Because he's old. He's only going to slow down and get worse and need more support as the years go by. We don't want to him to get ok with his surroundings right about the time he'll need to be replaced.

That's why I really really really don't like trading for 34 year-old QBs. It doesn't really matter WHY Smith took so long to get it going. It just matters that it did.

Or it would have, had he not just suffered a brutal season-ending injury. That's just a cherry on the **** sundae.

I'd be ok, even now, with Alex...were it not for the absolutely self-immolating contract he was signed to. This front office/owner have to go. What were they thinking?

Sean Taylor, the last draft pick the Redskins made of a player who truly had Hall of Fame ability.

That was 2004.

Been wandering in the desert a long time :(

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Redskins?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Redskins</a> claimed Reuben Foster, source says</p>— Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo) <a href="https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/1067539950453825536?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 27, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Holy Schnikes.......

EDIT:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Former 49ers' LB Reuben Foster was claimed by the Washington Redskins, per source.<br><br>Now the question becomes whether or when the league will suspend him.</p>— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1067539881117790210?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 27, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Last edited:
Well, the Redskins signed Donte Stallworth after he served time for killing a workman during a DUI incident.

Didn't we also sign Darrell Russell?

This isn't the first time.

Bout what I thought. We need someone in here to fire up some Oklahoma Drills

“I just feel like when we're in certain preparations — when it's Friday, when it's Saturday, when it's time to lock in and really be focused in — I feel like it's a little bit too much playing. Whether it's on Friday or whether it's the Saturday walk-through,” Swearinger said.

“If you're a focused individual, every time that you step on the practice field —whether it's a walk-through, whether it's a real practice — any time the coach is saying something, that means business. When we have our walk-throughs on Saturdays, I feel like it's a joke, to me—with the amount of focus that we have, with the amount of playing that we have, the amount of lack of discipline that we have on those Saturdays and Fridays, on days where I feel like we should be tuned in. That's where those comments come in.”

Bout what I thought. We need someone in here to fire up some Oklahoma Drills

“I just feel like when we're in certain preparations — when it's Friday, when it's Saturday, when it's time to lock in and really be focused in — I feel like it's a little bit too much playing. Whether it's on Friday or whether it's the Saturday walk-through,” Swearinger said.

“If you're a focused individual, every time that you step on the practice field —whether it's a walk-through, whether it's a real practice — any time the coach is saying something, that means business. When we have our walk-throughs on Saturdays, I feel like it's a joke, to me—with the amount of focus that we have, with the amount of playing that we have, the amount of lack of discipline that we have on those Saturdays and Fridays, on days where I feel like we should be tuned in. That's where those comments come in.”

And I get accused of not knowing what the players are feeling/saying when I say how they mention about the lack of discipline around Redskins' Park.

The media is going nuts over this - claiming the Skins should have signed K-Nick.

Anyone want to touch that one?!

What are the Redskins going to do with a 29 year old quarterback that hasn't played a down in over 2 years?

It's not the same thing to go in and learn a new system as a qb as it is at other positions.

We know that by watching Smith. Smith was the fifth rated passer in 2017 and by all accounts a smart guy.

At the time of his injury there were still questions about his knowledge of and capability in this offense.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 5, Members: 0, Guests: 5)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.