• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

I just hope they get it over with quickly so we can get past the media manufactured interest in Krappernick.

As for the short-term/long-term plans you discussed...this injury should absolutely be a consideration for those plans. I'd like to think the Skins already had plans for a mid round pick for a QB maybe as early as the 3rd, but definitely 4th or 5th, but this should ensure that. Anything before the 2nd round would be foolish in this draft class, but 3rd should definitely be an option.

However, seeing the play from Smith over the course of the last month, I'd be inclined to figure out a way for the Skins and Smith to come to an agreement that would get Smith out of the NFL. Dude should realize his glory days are behind him, unless he wants to go to a team who actually has enough weapons to disguise his weaknesses and there are only 2 or 3 of those teams in the league who have QB's to handle them better than Smith could.

Yes, this is an injury that can be overcome, no...Smith is not going to get any better than we've seen from him here in DC. No matter how healthy we are, we just don't have enough talent around him and won't have enough talent in place by the time his contract is up anyway. I just don't buy your arguments supporting him. We should admit the mistake and move on.

So Dirty Sanchez is now a skin? It won't matter, Colt will be the 2018 version of Doug Williams, except he's a honkey and 5' 2”. Still tho

Drafting young QBs is never a bad idea. But I don't think Smith's broken leg changes anything in terms of the Redskins short-term plans. He'll be back ready to move into the starter's role next season. It's a broken leg. I don't know why Theismann decided to retire when he did, but typically this is an injury that heals and shouldn't be career threatening.

I don't really see how it changes next season and beyond. Whatever the plan is tentatively in place to find a long-term successor, I doubt we deviate from it. I personally don't see how Smith's broken leg is a rationale for feeling like we have to draft a youngster in a draft that is supposedly quite weak at that position. If it were a torn labrum, or a fracture throwing shoulder, or even an ACL - maybe I could see it. But it's a broken leg and it will heal. I don't see Alex Smith ending his career on that kind of a note.

Dunno, B. He'll be 35 years old. He's not a kid and that's not an insignificant injury. I wouldn't bank on his coming back at full strength ... which, quite frankly, wasn't all that awesome to begin with.

In my opinion, we should have drafted a QB this past offseason. Now I think it's absolutely imperative.

Dunno, B. He'll be 35 years old. He's not a kid and that's not an insignificant injury. I wouldn't bank on his coming back at full strength ... which, quite frankly, wasn't all that awesome to begin with.

In my opinion, we should have drafted a QB this past offseason. Now I think it's absolutely imperative.

If I remember correctly, Theisman tried to come back the following year. That didn't last long.

If I remember correctly, Theisman tried to come back the following year. That didn't last long.

I think that was more about collecting on an insurance claim, proving he was no longer physically able to play. Smith and Theisman were both having pretty lackluster seasons at the time of their injuries, too.

I'll take the wait and see but if he retires we're stuck with a Romo-esque cap hit for someone no longer playing. With what doctors can do now a days I don't think this career threatening with what we currently know.

My point is - the plan was for Smith to be our starter for 3-4 years - and the injury doesn't necessarily change that plan. Theismann's injury was 33 years ago. Orthopedic surgery and recovery has come a long way since then. Smith's projected recovery time is 6-8 months. He'd have plenty of time to get ready for the 2019 season. Sorry, I just don't see how this kind of injury changes things when we just signed the guy. It's in the Redskins interest for him to come back. If he doesn't, I believe we are on the hook for his entire contract in 2019. If that's the case, not trying to bring him back would be insane.

We needed to draft a young QB to groom behind Smith before the injury. You're right that we still do.

Does the injury to Alex Smith save Jay's job if the Redskins miss the playoffs?

According to what we were lead to believe Bruce Allen and Co. made the trade for Alex Smith before discussing it with Gruden.

So, the fact Smith is injured or has played poorly (which is the plain truth - forget this 'we need awhile to start clicking') doesn't reflect back on Jay.

Jay has supported Colt McCoy though as one of his favorite 'sons' so to speak.

What will be interesting to see is if McCoy plays better than Smith and all of a sudden Reed, Davis and others start to put up better numbers through the air.

Another reason to show Bruce the door.

Jay had been supporting colt since 2014. We'll see now how smart that looks.

According to what we were lead to believe Bruce Allen and Co. made the trade for Alex Smith before discussing it with Gruden.

So, the fact Smith is injured or has played poorly (which is the plain truth - forget this 'we need awhile to start clicking') doesn't reflect back on Jay.

Jay has supported Colt McCoy though as one of his favorite 'sons' so to speak.

What will be interesting to see is if McCoy plays better than Smith and all of a sudden Reed, Davis and others start to put up better numbers through the air.

Another reason to show Bruce the door.

That was media manufactured controversy Bulldog - Gruden himself stated they had already discussed and rated Alex Smith as their #1 target before the deal was done. The injury doesn't reflect on anyone. Truth is, if we didn't have half our offense on IR already, that injury may not have even occurred.

There are a lot of reasons to hate on Bruce Allen. But I don't think we can blame a broken leg on him :) Whether or not the acquisition of Alex Smith was a major mistake is an open question imho. I personally think it's too early to come to that conclusion. I say that because I believe if he had a full season with healthy starters on offense, he'd have had a lot more luck than what we saw.

I expect Colt to play well. He's a pretty good QB. But he'll also turn the ball over and take chances he shouldn't. Whether or not that proves to be a sum total plus or not, we're just going to have to watch to find out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 3, Members: 1, Guests: 2)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.