• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

In the last three games, the Washington Redskins have held Christian McCaffrey, Ezekiel Elliott and Saquon Barkley under 100 yards.

Combined.

That statistic above is insane. If someone had told us that would happen before the season began, we would have all thought they were crazy.

Here's another: 7 sacks today. 7.

This defense is starting to feel like the 2001 Ravens, or the 2002 Bucs.

Now we just need Alex Smith to start playing a little better and we may have something special this season.

That statistic above is insane. If someone had told us that would happen before the season began, we would have all thought they were crazy.

Here's another: 7 sacks today. 7.

This defense is starting to feel like the 2001 Ravens, or the 2002 Bucs.

Now we just need Alex Smith to start playing a little better and we may have something special this season.

We don't need Alex Smith to play better.
He's our Joe Flacco, in a Super Bowl win :)

A few other positives:

Swearinger is having a career year. All-Pro.

After being neglected lately, Jordan Reid was targeted 12 times and had 7 receptions. Maybe Alex is learning?

Trent Murphy. Morgan Moses. Matt Ionnidis.

What?

Those were 3 players that many wrote off too early.

Let's hope that we can add Josh Doctson's name to that list. His 5 receptions today were the most of his career.

If he can continue to develop and we can hold on another week or two before Jamison Crowder returns, we may have just enough to make some noise.

OMG, I think there was an incredible effort today by our defense, but comparing them to 2 of the greatest defenses in NFL history is just absurd! FFS man, we played a terrible Giants team.

We should look at this game with a balanced view.

As I said before on this thread, I have concerns about this team coming from behind when it has to down the road with Alex Smith and his receivers looking to be one of lowest producing units in the league.

But that in no way takes away from what this defense has accomplished to date over 7 games. Other than the Saints game where the Redskins didn't look as if they got off the plane, the Redskins D has played well enough to overcome any offensive deficiencies we have had.

And the presence of Adrian Peterson I believe has been inspirational for the entire squad. He is a first ballot Hall of Famer and he is producing at an elite level. His fitness level is off the charts for someone his age and he is beating guys on defense that he has 10 years on.

The Redskins in recent seasons have not had these types of role models for our younger draft picks and free agents and someone that can be the face of the franchise.

Kirk Cousins and Alex Smith both seem to lack the internal confidence to take on that kind of mantle with the team, regardless of the other factors.

Peterson on the other hand is supremely confident in himself, but only because he knows he puts in the work to be successful.

That rubs off on other players.

Going back years that is the same kind of quiet leadership we had from Art Monk, Darrell Green, Monte Coleman and others.

We just need to develop a couple of those kind of franchise stalwarts on our own to take this team forward as a consistent contender.

We may have that on defense with Allen already, but we need some younger folks on offense to emerge as well.

We're definitely going to need more offensive production moving ahead, the defense has been lights out lately but we can't depend on that the whole season, Atlanta will be a good test, not a good defense on their end but they can still put up points, I don't foresee us needing to win a shootout but we're going to need more than 20 points in my estimation.

Lots of people concerned about Alex Smith and the offense.

I noticed something yesterday. And it happened at least twice.

On a 3 step drop, Smith planted the 3rd step, then paused, patted the ball, paused again, then finally let it go. Reed caught the ball for a minimal gain.
It looked as though Smith waited too long, allowing the defender to be right on reed when he caught it.

Howeva…….

The replay showed the play, facing the offense. Smith hit the 3rd step and was ready to fire, but he couldn't. Reed was in the middle of 397 step shimmy, not looking for the ball. Even with the pause, and pats, Smith still delivered the ball BEFORE Reed made his cut and looked for the ball. I saw it again later on. Again, with Reed.

So, my theory is....Smith is known for being a precise timing passer. Evidenced throughout his career. The timing with his new receivers is off, at least in part, because our guys have been so used to Greedy Lyin Bastard waiting until they were completely through with their cuts, and shimmy's, and jukes before he'd dream of risking an interception that would hurt his purse. So, Smith isn't going through reads too fast. The receivers are taking to long to get through their routine. They must unlearn, what they have learned. Smith seems ready when he hits the 3, or 5 step drop. He's having to wait on guys to finish their Madden moves, and that throws everything, including accuracy, out of whack.

It'll take a little more time, but we'll get there. Be patient my friends.

It can only get better.
Smith has been an accurate passer for about 11 years.
You don't suddenly forget how to throw a football, and I'm certain it's not age-related.
There's just one or more things going on behind the scenes that we can't see, causing the lack of cohesion in our passing game, which probably can be fixed in a short amount of time.

Last edited:
Lots of people concerned about Alex Smith and the offense.

I noticed something yesterday. And it happened at least twice.

On a 3 step drop, Smith planted the 3rd step, then paused, patted the ball, paused again, then finally let it go. Reed caught the ball for a minimal gain.
It looked as though Smith waited too long, allowing the defender to be right on reed when he caught it.

Howeva…….

The replay showed the play, facing the offense. Smith hit the 3rd step and was ready to fire, but he couldn't. Reed was in the middle of 397 step shimmy, not looking for the ball. Even with the pause, and pats, Smith still delivered the ball BEFORE Reed made his cut and looked for the ball. I saw it again later on. Again, with Reed.

So, my theory is....Smith is known for being a precise timing passer. Evidenced throughout his career. The timing with his new receivers is off, at least in part, because our guys have been so used to Greedy Lyin Bastard waiting until they were completely through with their cuts, and shimmy's, and jukes before he'd dream of risking an interception that would hurt his purse. So, Smith isn't going through reads too fast. The receivers are taking to long to get through their routine. They must unlearn, what they have learned. Smith seems ready when he hits the 3, or 5 step drop. He's having to wait on guys to finish their Madden moves, and that throws everything, including accuracy, out of whack.

It'll take a little more time, but we'll get there. Be patient my friends.

Good stuff. For sure, the timing passing game requires precise route running.

it's a recipe that works as long as the team doesn't suffer any early adversity in a game and ends up on the wrong side of a 14-0 halftime score.

it's a fallacy to think we can go 16 games and into the playoffs playing ahead with the turnover battle favoring us each week. It's just not realistic.

there are some weeks where we are going to need to score 27-30 points if not more to win and it is vital that the offense is capable of putting up close to those numbers when necessary.

if you look back on the season Alex Smith started off the year throwing for 260 and 270 yards but since that time we are regressing back to the 175-180 mark each week.

That is not a good sign as that is not showing we are taking steps forward in the passing offense.

By Week 7-8 Smith and Reed who have both been healthy and working together for weeks should be on the same page by now on some of these short yardage staple routes that the typical NFL offense runs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 5, Members: 1, Guests: 4)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.