• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

Look - Dallas was either going to spend a 1st on Cooper, or draft a first round talent next year. Either way, they were going to get better somewhere - just like we will when we use OUR 1st round pick.

Cooper had a great first 2 seasons and fell back to Earth in 2017. No question he's one of the most talented WRs in the league. Arguing we lose last Sunday if he plays is silly. Maybe having him on the roster results in 15 more passes, 2 of which we pick off :) You can't assume because A) then B) - doesn't work that way. It's kind of like arguing you'd have hit the FG if a penalty hadn't moved you back because it looked like you had the yardage. When you change a factor in any situation, you can no longer predict the result.

Cooper should definitely help the Cowboys. But we beat them with a very flawed performance on offense. We have even an average performance and that was a blow out.

I ain't skeered.

Look I agree we should not be trading a#1 at mid season for a receiver, but I don't agree with the ‘go with the guys you have' philosophy either.

The Redskins WR position is clearly one of the least productive on the team to this point and with injuries hampering Crowder and Richardson, who were acknowledged as the top 2, we should be looking for help.

Belichick clearly was in trading a #5 for Josh Gordon.

I would look into Thomas from Denver and Parker from Miami as well as some other veteran options.

If Elway wants a #2 pick for Thomas we can always say no.

But the idea we are going to get Trey Quinn back from IR and we are going to be ‘fine' at WR is bury your head in the sand logic to me.

Again, it's not like we were that productive at WR when everyone was healthy.

The NFC East is there to be had this year.

With the injuries at corner we are going to need to score more points going forward.

Can't afford to ignore that.

Look I agree we should not be trading a#1 at mid season for a receiver, but I don't agree with the ‘go with the guys you have' philosophy either.

The Redskins WR position is clearly one of the least productive on the team to this point and with injuries hampering Crowder and Richardson, who were acknowledged as the top 2, we should be looking for help.

Belichick clearly was in trading a #5 for Josh Gordon.

I would look into Thomas from Denver and Parker from Miami as well as some other veteran options.

If Elway wants a [URL=https://www.bgobsession.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=2]#2 [/URL] pick for Thomas we can always say no.

But the idea we are going to get Trey Quinn back from IR and we are going to be ‘fine' at WR is bury your head in the sand logic to me.

Again, it's not like we were that productive at WR when everyone was healthy.

The NFC East is there to be had this year.

With the injuries at corner we are going to need to score more points going forward.

Can't afford to ignore that.

I've advocated for making a move for a WR - I'm just acknowledging that I think the team thinks they can ride this out. And Gruden has recently stated they may have to do something if Richardson and Crowder can't return soon.

Big difference between acknowledging that and getting in a bidding war over Cooper.

Here's the other thing. If we determine this year that out of Doctson, Richardson, Crowder, Quinn, Sims, and company that we don't have a legit #1 and #2 WR, we can pick the best one available in the first or 2nd round next year. It doesn't always have to be about the current season. I know that we've already, as fans, determined we need a bigtime WR. But an in-season trade is going to be (by definition) expensive. If you don't think you have a potential SB team, there's an argument to be made for being patient. I'm not saying it's a satisfying argument - but there IS a legit argument one can make to wait.

That may be true for 2019, but right now there is an unexpected opportunity to win the NFC East in 2018 and after waiting this long to field a winner and start to build a new tradition here we shouldn't sit back and let other teams be more aggressive in trying to pass us in the division race.

I am all for giving Michael Floyd a chance to contribute but he has been out of the league for the better part of the past 2 years so he's more of a 'shot in the dark' at this point, so I would be looking to trade for a veteran who is not necessarily a #1 but someone we can bring in who can move the sticks and be a dependable target on third downs for Alex Smith.

Finding a guy to fit that role would also free us up to use Jordan Reed more in the slot role going down the field.

That double team he faces would be harder on opposing defenses IF they had to contend with a middle of the field proven vet that can get open on safeties and nickel corners.

As far as team perceptions, I give Williams and Kyle Smith enough credit to see that the WR position is one that is holding us back.

However, as we know Bruce Allen is often times very slow to make moves. Occasionally he will surprise in approving moves like the one for Alex Smith, but that is the exception rather than the rule.

We need some good news from Dunbar today. "Nerve issues' brings back nightmares about Kyshoen Jarrett.

If he is done for an extended period of time, we're going to have to consider PP.

I wish I shared everyone's confidence on the Amari Cooper trade. A first was a hefty price to pay, but the finer details don't look so bad.

He's cheap and young at only 24 years of age. His salary this year? Only $700,000. Next year, $13.9 million. Next year he'll be in a contract year, looking to try and earn an OBJ contract in 2020.

Our division just got a whole lot tougher.

They still have to sign him - better hope he Is a standup guy :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If he is done for an extended period of time, we're going to have to consider PP.

And like QUICK before it's too late...
either from the deadline, or someone else jumping on it.

And at least we didn't trade for Eli Apple, like the Saints just did.

Oh, and if he ever becomes a Redskin, let's not call him PP. :)

Last edited:
Hell has indeed frozen over.

Googling NFL Power Rankings today will make jaws drop. The Redskins are ranked anywhere from 6 to 10 across the various sites. And this one, the site that possibly hates the Redskins the most, PFT?

10. Washington (4-2; No. 13): Don't be shocked if/when Washington upsets the Rams in January.

Googling NFL Power Rankings today will make jaws drop. The Redskins are ranked anywhere from 6 to 10 across the various sites. And this one, the site that possibly hates the Redskins the most, PFT?

10. Washington (4-2; No. 13): Don't be shocked if/when Washington upsets the Rams in January.

As usual, the press overreacting and jumping the gun. The Redskins haven't done anything yet.

Let's see if they keep the intensity of the last two games up when they go to NY(usually a horror house for the Redskins) and play a bad Giants team, which traditionally we play down to perceived bad teams.

I don't mean to be negative but there are still alot of demons to exorcise ......

nfl.com has them at 10, which is good...BUT, how can they rate Carolina 3 spots higher than us after we dominated them, and have the same record ?
Aside from that, how can they be considered #7 at all ? Just because of one comeback, against an Eagles team, that appears
to be a shell of its former super bowl self ?

Yeah, Cooper is an upgrade for Dallas. But, I'm not shook about it. He hasn't played as well of late (compared to when he first came into the pros). Also, as long as our front 7 can manhandle their O-line, I'm not so concerned about their skill positions. In an ideal world, he produces nothing - and Dallas is out of a #1 pick for nothing. :biggrin:

Hmmm, Giants are starting a fire-sale in advance of our game. Eli Apple, and now:
https://nypost.com/2018/10/24/snacks-harrison-traded-to-lions-as-giants-fire-sale-picks-up/

Our offense better step up!

Yeah, this makes so little sense to me the way the run Barkley. I understand you want to play money ball, and get as much as you can for your better players who may not be in the long term plans for the team. However, if you're going to dump all your talent for future gains, don't destroy your most valuable asset by working him so hard he gets beaten down by the time you turn things around.

Late to the conversation, but on Amari Cooper to Dallas ... to me their bigger issue is who gets the ball TO him going forward. Cooper could be All World, but with the current iteration of Dak Prescott, the 'boys passing game is at best hit or miss. Hell, San Fran could have had Jerry Rice in his prime all those years, but if they'd have had "just a guy" behind center, we'd never have known Rice was more than a tall guy with wheels.

Dak is starting to look more like the guy his college fans always thought he was--a running QB with moxie but with limited pocket/throwing ability--rather than the wunderkind he looked like as a rookie.

They have a problem down in Dallas. To me the rest of their season is determining what to do with the QB position next year and beyond.

The Giants game is now the biggest trap game this team has had since the 2016 final against you guessed it the New York Giants.

With the trades of Eli Apple and Damon Harrison you would think the Giants would be a rollover this weekend, but things rarely go smoothly for the Redskins in New Jersey regardless of the records.

This game after 2 emotional wins will be a good gauge on where this coaching staff is.

If the Redskins come out and stay focused and take care of business that will be a watershed of sorts.

If the team goes up to NJ and gives up 3 touchdowns for Beckham and loses the game, then at 4-3 we are back in the dog race and back to trying to prove we are to be taken seriously.

Yep. We'll know if/when the Redskins turn the corner and become a contender when they a) show up and dominate in games like this one, that by all counts they should, and b) win or lose, actually show up and go balls-out week in and week out. Yes, even elite teams lay an egg now then--Gibbs' teams in their prime were known to get rolled now and then--but week in and week out you could confidently expect them to play up to their talent level and give someone a fair fight.

Our Skins haven't been that team in a long time.

Time for Alex Smith to look like a seasoned veteran who can read defenses and make plays instead of being the off-target passer who has happy feet in the pocket.

I know Jay Gruden didn't expect this when we paid him $71M.

I can totally see the Redskins losing to the Giants this week. By all rights we should win this one by three TDs going away. But the Redskins love to **** the bed against these guys. When was the last time we even SCORED three TDs against them? The third week of 2016? The Giants have had one winning season in the past six years (and that year we got to play their backups the last week of the season) and we've gone 3-9 against them. At this point, any win against them is a good win.

As far as Alex Smith goes, he isn't going to win games for us. He's not the kind of guy that's going to make something from nothing. And the Redskins really have nothing at WR right now. We've got Jordan Reed and ... that's about it. Honestly, I don't know what else a coach WOULD expect when signing a 34-year old journeyman QB to a new team that has no WRs whatsoever. Of course there are going to be some big bumps in that road. He'll get the hang of the offense and be better as time goes on. In the meantime, at least he's not turning the ball over. Our turnover differential is winning us games right now, so ... there is that.

Last edited:
Yeah, Cooper is an upgrade for Dallas. But, I'm not shook about it. He hasn't played as well of late (compared to when he first came into the pros). Also, as long as our front 7 can manhandle their O-line, I'm not so concerned about their skill positions. In an ideal world, he produces nothing - and Dallas is out of a #1 pick for nothing. :biggrin:

Late to the conversation, but on Amari Cooper to Dallas ... to me their bigger issue is who gets the ball TO him going forward. Cooper could be All World, but with the current iteration of Dak Prescott, the 'boys passing game is at best hit or miss.

Then there's thing about his dropsies, his biggest issue.
I think one year he had the highest drop rate in the league, and a couple years later he was 4th worst.
And he's also historically bad, too. I think they started keeping the stat in 2007, and he's something like among the 5 worst since that time.
And with the dropsies, it doesn't help that he doesn't have a good passer throwin him the ball, like Om said.

The Giants game is now the biggest trap game this team has had since the 2016 final against you guessed it the New York Giants

The common denominator in those two games? Cousin Kirk going ADERRRRRRRRPPP in both those games.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 5, Members: 0, Guests: 5)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.