• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

Way too expensive.

I would have loved either Josh Gordon or Amari......but not for a first.

A first for someone who really hasn't done much in three years... ? Nice job, Jerruh!!!

It sure seems expensive, but I guess it really depends on how you look at it.

If you assume Dallas will finish around .500 and have pick 16 in the draft, will the guy that's available in that slot be better than Amari? If so, then bad deal.

That's way too much. After Joey Galloway and Roy Williams, you'd think the Cowboys would be done trading first rounders for WRs. It may push them over the top in the NFC East this year, maybe, but they aren't winning the superbowl with this move, and that's the only reason I would think a team would trade a first rounder for a half season's-worth of a player's services. If the Redskins had made the same move I'd be totally disgusted. My only concern for the Redskins is that Snyder may panic and overpay in a trade for someone else now.

That's way too much. After Joey Galloway and Roy Williams, you'd think the Cowboys would be done trading first rounders for WRs. It may push them over the top in the NFC East this year, maybe, but they aren't winning the superbowl with this move, and that's the only reason I would think a team would trade a first rounder for a half season's-worth of a player's services. If the Redskins had made the same move I'd be totally disgusted. My only concern for the Redskins is that Snyder may panic and overpay in a trade for someone else now.

No reason to believe anything like that will happen. If the Redskins had been desperate to get Amari there's no doubt they could have had him. We're operating like a mostly smart franchise these days. We're gonna dance with the ones we brought and aren't going to give up the future in some panic move. Skins fans don't recognize this kind of thinking :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No reason to believe anything like that will happen. If the Redskins had been desperate to get Amari there's no doubt they could have had him. We're operating like a mostly smart franchise these days. We're gonna dance with the ones we brought and aren't going to give up the future in some panic move. Skins fans don't recognize this kind of thinking :)

Gruden says...there's a chance...but only if Crowder and Richey don't get better soon...

https://www.nbcsports.com/washingto...jay-gruden-believes-trade-might-help-redskins

I think there's an overall understanding that our passing attack is weak. The fans and mediots see it, and so obviously does the coaching staff. What Alex is being asked to do is quite a bit different than what he did in KC. He's struggling to adjust. And his unfamiliarity with our receiving weapons has been been made exponentially more difficult by a rotating cast of players including guys who were working at Walmart a month ago. Pass pro has been inexplicably spotty at best.

On the other hand, we stumbled onto a giant gold nugget in AP. Gone are the complaints that Gruden won't commit to the run. Now the narrative is that he's running too much. Gruden's riding AP like his favorite mule.

What's that gotten us? 4 wins in our first 6 games, equalling our best start since 1996 when Norv Turner had them at 7-1 before going 2-6 down the stretch and missing the playoffs. Win against the Giants next week and that's the best start we'll have had in 22 years.

And it's Gruden's playcalling and approach that's gotten us there.

I get the complaints and anxiety. Our offense is almost a liability right now. But I think there's a method to the madness. Gruden is playing Moneyball. He knows we have 2 advantages over our opponents. We've got a resurgent, powerful RB in AP. And we've got one hell of a defense. His playcalling right now is predicated on not making mistakes and forcing the other guys to make them.

The Redskins through 6 games are tied for #4 for takeaways with 11 takeaways (4 INTs and 7 forced fumbles).

They Redskins are #2 in the league in turnovers, having thrown just 2 INTs with 3 fumbles..

So far in 2018, the Redskins are rushing the ball more often than in 2017 (roughly 46% of the time vs. 41% in 2017). Gruden is buying time. He's trying to give Alex Smith time to adjust. He's trying to give Alex time to mesh with his offense. He's trying to give Alex time to mesh with the players around him. He's relying on the better than average rushing attack and defense to eke out wins while he does that. One of the reasons Gruden has pretty much given Smith a pass, failing to criticize him even when it's warranted (like after yesterday's game) is because limiting Smith's exposure is THE PLAN.

We don't like the plan, but there's no denying that right now - more often than not, it's working. We've beaten two really good teams in Green Bay and Carolina. We just beat a pretty good one in Dallas. And of course, we beat a bad team in Arizona.

If you accept the above assessment of what's gotten us to this point, there might be cause for some serious optimism going forward. If Smith settles down, pass pro improves, and he starts getting some of our better receiving talent back (Richardson, Crowder, Thompson, possibly Quinn and/or Sims) or we add a top tier WR before the trade deadline, you could see offensive production really take off. A couple good signs yesterday even with a very flawed performance from Smith? No INTs and he spread the ball around to 6 different players, including several to Josh Doctson.

I think it's likely Gruden will continue focusing on a pounding run game (yes, even rushing on 1st down almost exclusively) until Smith starts showing signs of comfortability, and/or he gets enough weapons back to have a more reasonable chance of having an above average passing attack.

I'm not arguing that this approach doesn't deserve criticism. I'm arguing that it's not happening in a vacuum, that Gruden knows exactly what he's doing, it's a calculated risk every weekend, but that so far, it's worked more often than not.

I agree with this. Overall, I have been happy with how Gruden has called the games. There are individual situations where he could do better and those deserve some criticism. It always drives me crazy when in the red zone or late in the game, you get away from the creativity that got you to that point. But 4-2 with wins against GB, CAR, and the cowgirls speaks for itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish I shared everyone's confidence on the Amari Cooper trade. A first was a hefty price to pay, but the finer details don't look so bad.

He's cheap and young at only 24 years of age. His salary this year? Only $700,000. Next year, $13.9 million. Next year he'll be in a contract year, looking to try and earn an OBJ contract in 2020.

Our division just got a whole lot tougher.

I wish I shared everyone's confidence on the Amari Cooper trade. A first was a hefty price to pay, but the finer details don't look so bad.

He's cheap and young at only 24 years of age. His salary this year? Only $700,000. Next year, $13.9 million. Next year he'll be in a contract year, looking to try and earn an OBJ contract in 2020.

Our division just got a whole lot tougher.

Our secondary held them down without Dunny.....and then later without Moreau.
So I think our #1 defense will be able to handle them a 2nd time, with Dunny and Moreau coming back.

In fact, maybe that was the straw that broke the camel's back, and caused them to make the trade the day after playing us - the fact they couldn't do much against a defense without it's best-playing corner.

Yep, we just have to hope that you're right.

I suspect they took a look at the division and determined that it's wide open. The Giants look like a joke. Philly looks human and maybe suffering from a SB slump. And then there's us.

Do we win that game yesterday if Amari Cooper was on the field? I personally don't think so. When focused, he's in that rare group of WRs that are on a different level.

I'm hoping for some drama and finger pointing on the sidelines. Maybe even punches being thrown or a DUI. Because he's a talented guy.

I think there's no doubt Dallas improved their offense with this move. The question is, how much?

I know losing Bryant really hurt ... I guess. I suppose I always thought his importance to the team was a bit over-stated. The loss that really hurt them a lot was, in my opinion, Jason Witten.

Frankly, this move doesn't address that loss. I don't think the Dallas passing offense is simply going to recover the loss of a HOF player like that by trading Cooper for Bryant halfway through the season. Dallas will be better with Cooper than without him, sure. But this ain't a move that's pushing them over the edge of anything.

And for a first round pick, it should be.

Yep, Dallas is gonna really NEED that first round pick next year.
And they're gonna WISH they had it, when they find out how high they will be picking.

The other cool thing is we proved we can beat the Cowboys without a single WR who is even HALF as good as Cooper. LOL

You gotta think that John called up Jay and said you owe me one for what I'm giving the turds in Cooper. Or is it Just me?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.