• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

The one consistent... little-to-no adjustments in the second-half on the Offensive side of the ball. You figure Gruden would have learned that by now.

Ball control only works if you get first downs DP. We ran plenty in the 2nd half - their D just tightened up. I'm not directing this at you by any means, but I swear it seems like a lot of fans sort of forget that the other team is trying to win as well. The Packers (gimpy Rodgers or not) are a quality opponent with a very good coaching staff. Teams that are playing from behind and got stomped in the first half are almost always going to do some things in the 2nd half to adjust and make the game more competitive.

One of the reasons I was harping on the lack of an effective backup to AP is because I felt he looked gassed at times in the 2nd half. Without a 2nd RB banger who can come in with fresh legs, when your starter gets tired, it limits you. I know that Gruden gets saddled with (and probably deserves to an extent) the 'can't make adjustments' label. But in this case, he did make the adjustments - the Packers scored but never got closer than 11 and we were able to put together a drive to put more distance between us.

Chris Thompson looking a lot more like Chris Thompson would be a big help for Alex Smith. CT looks tentative and a step slower to me this year so far. We really need him to get back to 2017 form soon. Reed is killing it (I don't think I've ever seen him look better) but so far CT isn't the same guy. Those two are our 3rd down money options.

I don't think you guys understand what I'm getting at.

Saw a stat the other day that puts the Redskins near the top of the league in run plays called on first down....like almost 60% of the time, it's a run on first down.

Now, look at my screen name. Think I don't want to run the ball? But you can't keep banging your head into 8 man fronts when everyone in the stadium,at home and the opponent know what's coming on first and ten.

I was begging for a first down PA pass in the second half. It didn't have to be a 50 yd bomb...but a 10-15 yd pass in the middle of the field to Reed,Davis or Crowder would've been nice...you move the chains,give the opponent something else to think about and maybe make them hesitant to load the box.

You can't get more rush attempts if you are staring at 3rd and 10 because you gained nothing on first down against a stacked box. And you can still play ball control and mix in a first down pass here and there.

Leave AP in. Give them the standard run look and play pass out of it. IMO, the Packers defense was ripe for that in the second half but it seemed like Gruden was scared to death to try it.

Piece I was just reading has Gruden saying those two will be on the D line if there healthy. First two weeks were getting their feet wet, but there it from here on out. He also said he backed off in the second half.... what a schmuck...

I said in another thread that Jay should get this year and next, unless there's a complete bed shitting. Still tentatively believe it...but dammit if Jay doesn't make me 2nd guess myself with quotes like he backed off.

This is intriguing because it was much more of a rotation week 1 and 2. Tim Settle saw 0 snaps on Sunday. Maybe because we wanted that additional speed in the event that Rodgers used his legs? Maybe because we knew we were going into a bye week? Maybe because of the lead we had, pass rush became a lot more important than run defense?

We knew Rodgers was operating with a broken wheel my man!

I'm not directing this at you by any means, but I swear it seems like a lot of fans sort of forget that the other team is trying to win as well. The Packers (gimpy Rodgers or not) are a quality opponent with a very good coaching staff. Teams that are playing from behind and got stomped in the first half are almost always going to do some things in the 2nd half to adjust and make the game more competitive.

Yeah this was the point I was kinda clumsily trying to make in my post earlier.

I have always seen the NFL like a game of chess, where each team makes a move and then a counter move. You can't expect to win them all, just try and win more moves than your opponent does.

This weeks game was an odd viewing experience, because it was the Packers vs Skins and that means the Wife's team versus my team. Most times I just watch the opposition with my Burgundy and gold hat on, but last week I was watching the Packers more critically too and me and the wife were talking about it. For all the criticism of the second half, you could see the thinking. Bend don't break, play softer and don't let Rodgers beat us like he did the Bears and almost the Vikings.

That long drive in the second quarter... as much as it drove us nuts to watch GB drive the field, it was driving the GB fans nuts too. Wifey and her twitter pals were all talking about how long the drive was taking and how taking time off the clock at that point, being 18 points behind, was hurting them. Allowing them less and less time in the half to come back on us. (Remember they couldn't assume we weren't going to be the Offense from the first half, they were worried about us putting up MORE points!) They really wanted quick scores and we didn't allow that.
Of course as Redskin fans we saw it differently. GB dominating the clock, our Dee not stopping them and then our Offense going 3 and out. Then we started to panic.
But for the GB fans, their thinking was if our Offense had been able to put up more points in the second half, even just another touchdown, then they were in big trouble with those long clock eating drives.

I got a window into a different perspective with the dejected Packers fan and her twitter buddies screaming at the screen for a quick score and panicking every-time Rodgers had to hobble to a first down when he escaped the pocket.

The Redskins offense is playing with one hand tied behind its back due to the need to try and legitimize Josh Doctson and get him reps despite the fact he he is contributing ZERO right now.

0 catches, 1 catch, etc. per game.

Geez, John Riggins caught more passes in a season as a fullback than Doctson does on the outside.

On ESPN 980 yesterday morning, when asked by Al Galdi, John Keim said that watching Doctson in the offseason and camp and then the preseason his prediction of catches for Josh were down around 40 because he didn't see any real separation nor sure hands.

Let's all face the truth, if Doctson had been a #2 or #3 pick instead of a #1 two plus year ago he would be on the bench.

Just watched our former RT, Tom Compton, playing left guard for the Vikings? Oh and he got blown up!

Typical Cousins. Throws for 400 yards through 3.5 quarters and then fumbles on a sack late in the fourth quarter to kill any chances of a comeback :rifle:

Typical Cousins. Throws for 400 yards through 3.5 quarters and then fumbles on a sack late in the fourth quarter to kill any chances of a comeback :rifle:

Yup...if the game is not on the line, he seems to feel that pressure. Late in the 4th Q in a do or die situation he has tunnel vision...i swear it is tunnel vision brought on by delusions of grandeur.

I think this is something he can outgrow, but will he put his ego aside to allow the growth.

Vikings have the worst OL in the NFC next to the Giants. Unless they fix that, they aren't going anywhere.

Vikings have the worst OL in the NFC next to the Giants. Unless they fix that, they aren't going anywhere.

Did you see who they had playing LG last night? Our castaway RT, Tom Compton.

Wasn't the vikes D supposed to be all badass this year though?

They've been getting smoked.

Last edited:
Would you give Pittsburgh Derrius Guice and a 3rd round pick in 2020 for Leveon Bell?

Would you give Pittsburgh Derrius Guice and a 3rd round pick in 2020 for Leveon Bell?

Let's see...

A young back with unlimited potential vs a star back that's been run hard,put up wet and is looking to be paid WR money.....

That's a big NO for me.

Hell no! I'm not sure I'd trade them straight up. A 3rd round pick to boot? That's insane. I get that Guice is 'unproven' - but no way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.