• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

I expected our defense to be top 10, possibly top 5 this year - but 2 games in, that ranking doesn't mean much. It's mostly based on dominating the Cardinals. The Colts ran it down our throat in the first half last week and dominated TOP because of it. They did a good job tightening up in the 2nd half but the Colts, Andrew Luck or not, are hardly an offensive powerhouse.

Gonna have to see a lot more before I'm happy. One good trend - we seem to be able to generate turnovers - we've forced and recovered a fumble and picked off QBs 3 times. But our defense isn't good enough to win a game for us when the offense falls flat.

Rodgers can make a secondary with this kind of youth look really silly with off schedule plays. This is a real test for the under 26 group we have back there both at S and CB.

Given that the Packers with Rodgers can score points (even if they give up them too on defense) it points up the mess the Redskins have at wide receiver right now.

This really bothers me as it was a clear area of need since the end of last season and yet the team made no moves to bring in a proven veteran to stabilize the receiving corps.

Now having to bring in Perriman and Floyd as much because the top 3 have failed to produce as because Quinn and Sims are on IR.

After watching Josh Doctson the last 2 years, he is a clear disappointment. Whether he is an outright bust might not turn out to be correct, but he is never going to be the go-to #1 receiver he was supposed to be when taken #22 overall.

Crowder showed last year that without Jackson and Garcon on the field, he was unable to expand his game and be able to emerge as a more reliable target.

Richardson? He was hurt for 2 or 3 of his years in Seattle and so he is hurt again. Like RGIII, Richardson is a great athlete but doesn't have an NFL body. He is slight of build and is another poster boy for IR.

The Redskins have had a unbelievable number of injuries over the past couple of years, but some of the problem is that the team continues to take risks by acquiring players like Richardson and re-acquiring players like Lauvao that are consistently injured and have ended up on IR in the past.

Judging off stats after 2 weeks is a dangerous game to play.

Anyone think Fitzpatrick is really the second coming of Brett Favre?

By the end of the year he will be middle of the pack where he has shown himself to be most of his years in the NFL.

Redskins' defense so far has not faced an elite player.

Johnson for AZ still seems limited in his return.

Luck made some plays but he is not back to where he was and has limited weapons.

How the Redskins let Hilton beat them as the only weapon is a red flag.

Good defenses take away a single key player at WR or RB and don't let that player beat them.

I remember seeing Eric Dickerson come to RFK after he ran for 195 yards against Dallas and Petitbon's defense limited him to something like 29 yards on 11 carries.

The Rams at the time had no WRs or TEs that scared us and we took away the one key guy.

If the Redskins can shut down a Rodgers or Cam Newton (0-4 lifetime against Cam) then I will be more of a believer we are ready to take that next step.

Perriman released, Kapri Bibbs to the active roster today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Were we even top 5 when GW was with them?

Actually, yes. We had the number three defense in 2004. And it was 5th in scoring.

Considering how awful our offense was that year, our defensive performance that year was nothing short of spectacular.

Only 2 games in, I'm not ready to give up on our receivers. I still believe Smith can get a lot more out of them. Our coaches have to do a much, much better job of designing and game planning with the guys we have.

This really bothers me as it was a clear area of need since the end of last season and yet the team made no moves to bring in a proven veteran to stabilize the receiving corps.

Now having to bring in Perriman and Floyd as much because the top 3 have failed to produce as because Quinn and Sims are on IR.

After watching Josh Doctson the last 2 years, he is a clear disappointment. Whether he is an outright bust might not turn out to be correct, but he is never going to be the go-to [URL=https://www.bgobsession.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1]#1 [/URL] receiver he was supposed to be when taken [URL=https://www.bgobsession.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=2]#2 2[/URL] overall.

This rings pretty true. I do think we'd be in better shape with Quinn and Sims on this roster. Both showed a ton of promise and seemed to be the only WRs who could take a routine play and turn it into something special.

Bulldog said:
Crowder showed last year that without Jackson and Garcon on the field, he was unable to expand his game and be able to emerge as a more reliable target.

I get your point, but at least he was consistent last season. Crowder in 2017 had nearly identical stats to his 2016 numbers (66 receptions to 67 the year before, 52.6 yds receiving per game, compared to 52.9 the year prior). The only area he took a step back in was TDs (only 3 vs. 7 the year before). There was zero significant dropoff. But Crowder isn't a 1 or 2 WR, he's a great #3 and that's about it. And so far in 2018 he has yet to make any real impact.

Your overall point is correct - we don't seem to have a legit #1 or #2 WR.

The idea of moving Reed to wideout is intriguing. I've heard Gruden mention it as well.

I thought he played QB.

Dunbar is the converted WR.

I remember Dunbar being asked to play DB because of the logjam of bodies at WR. For some reason, thought Reed was asked to gain some size and play TE. Not quite sure where I thought I'd heard that.

It's because you asked Reed while he was injured and on vicodin like usual

Gruden and Smith found a way to get production on offense - use the two tight ends outside and down the field and hit the long one to Richardson.

That's great, it worked this week with Peterson productive on the ground to balance it out.

But I look at the stat sheet at the end of the game and see a 34 year old Vernon Davis is far more important to this team's success through the air than Josh Doctson.

Doctson just doesn't produce. Maybe after the bye we will see Michael Floyd start to contribute and the offense won't be so dependent upon the backs and tight ends.

In re Josh, when was the last time he had a game with 6 or 7 catches, 90 yards and a TD?

This year he has fewer catches in 3 full games than a guy like Jordy Nelson had a in a half today.

At some point you have to question why we are still trotting the guy out there if either the offense doesn't target him because the coaches are afraid of drops or because he simply can't win matchups on the outside to get open and be a legit option.

He looks a lot more like a seventh round pick than a first round pick after 3 years.

Dotson is officially a bust. The great purge of McLovin players can't finish soon enough.

Next year we need to put Doctson in the secondary. He disrupts offensive flow & ensures no catches to his area of responsibility. Perfect FS material

Some info from the official who threw the roughing flag on Matthews today:

Kareem Copeland (Washington Post) I was just trying to get an explanation of the personal foul against Clay Matthews, how that was called on the sack?

Craig Wrolstad: On the sack on the roughing the passer?

Yes, roughing the passer.
So that's not a new rule. I had judged that the defender landed on the quarterback when he was tackling him with most or all of his body weight and that's not allowed. If you do that, it's roughing the passer. So that was basically my key, that he landed on him with most or all of his body weight and that was my ruling, roughing the passer.

Can you explain when he's coming forward, you know, kind of directly into the quarterback, how he's supposed to avoid that?

Yes, I think there's been some examples on the media tapes. But if you've got a shoulder into him and then landed on him with most of his body weight off him or released him when he went down, then he would have been ok. But in my judgement, I ruled that he landed on him with most or all of his body weight there.

And how was that different – there was a sack by Daron Payne on Aaron Rodgers – and we can actually hear Rodgers talking to you, the mic was still up and so people were trying to figure that out, how those two plays are different? Because it seemed like Daron kind of went down on Rodgers with his weight also.

I don't know exactly what play you're talking about, but from my memory that was the only play I had where I had roughing the passer today. I don't know which play you're talking about, I'm sorry. There were a lot of QB hits today.

When you have a repeat offender out there, do you guys tend to watch a little bit closer?

No. We take every play by itself. It's just a reaction, we react to the play. I didn't know what number the guy was until after I threw the flag, so we don't deal with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FYI - Niles Paul was the converted WR to TE, not Jordan Reed.

About the personal foul/roughing the passer call. I knew it would be called when I saw Matthews land with the full body on Smith. It was obvious. I don't like that rule, but the league made forceful, insistent, and adamant points about it in the off-season. Matthews quickly raised his hands just before the flag was tossed, as if to make a point that he thought it was legal. He likely knew the flag was coming as soon as the hit was made.

We have bitched about our lackluster offense, and our soft zone defense.

But the Redskins have scored more points than any other NFC East team through the first 3.

Skins: 64
Eagles: 59
Giants: 55
Dallas: 44

The Redskins have allowed the fewest points of any NFC East team through the first 3 games.

Skins: 44
Dallas: 53
Eagles: 55
Giants: 62

That doesn't suck people.

We have bitched about our lackluster offense, and our soft zone defense.

But the Redskins have scored more points than any other NFC East team through the first 3.

Skins: 64
Eagles: 59
Giants: 55
Dallas: 44

The Redskins have allowed the fewest points of any NFC East team through the first 3 games.

Skins: 44
Dallas: 53
Eagles: 55
Giants: 62

That doesn't suck people.

That doesn't suck.

The bright spot? Plenty of room/season to get even better. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.