• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

One thing I think we can be certain of.

Alex Smith knows how to throw a damn fade.

That alone can't help but increase Doctson's production :) Hell - if I had a 6'5" TE with great hands named Jeremy Sprinkle, I might even try to get him in the back of the end zone a few times...

Smith, unlike Cousins, is in a place he wants to be with a contract he is happy with. There is no need for him to tailor his execution for anything other than winning. I, for one, am very excited to see him build a rapport with all of his weapons.

Smith, unlike Cousins, is in a place he wants to be with a contract he is happy with. There is no need for him to tailor his execution for anything other than winning. I, for one, am very excited to see him build a rapport with all of his weapons.

Yeah - that speaks to a major (and I think valid) criticism of Cousins, especially last season. Cousins was clearly focused at times on his own stats and seemed very averse to any kind of risk-taking. Waiting for WRs to be 'totally open' before being willing to release the ball, taking the sure bet throw to WRs he knew and trusted vs. going downfield or throwing to unproven WRs... he definitely played with 'not making a mistake' as a major priority. I also expect Alex Smith to take better advantage of his weapons and playing more fearlessly. Kirk also refused to take off on the run even when it was obvious it was there for the taking. I think we're going to see Smith do that a lot more frequently.

Yeah - that speaks to a major (and I think valid) criticism of Cousins, especially last season. Cousins was clearly focused at times on his own stats and seemed very averse to any kind of risk-taking. Waiting for WRs to be 'totally open' before being willing to release the ball, taking the sure bet throw to WRs he knew and trusted vs. going downfield or throwing to unproven WRs... he definitely played with 'not making a mistake' as a major priority. I also expect Alex Smith to take better advantage of his weapons and playing more fearlessly. Kirk also refused to take off on the run even when it was obvious it was there for the taking. I think we're going to see Smith do that a lot more frequently.

I also don't think Kirk had the ability (whether he chose not to, or he was instructed not to) to control the offense at the line. In the game vs Seattle, he said he was TOLD that if Doc was man to man, then they were going to switch to the fly route. Then you look at the game vs N.O. (that i really dont like re-living) the run play called on 'the play' was imho, clearly the wrong play to run, but there was no change even though it was obvious it should have been. Kirk may not have been comfortable, or Jay may not have been comfortable giving him the freedom to do that. Either way, I think Alex has that freedom, and the ability, to make those changes. That could open up a lot for our WR if he sees a matchup or defensive alignment he can exploit.

https://twitter.com/ByMikeJones/status/1022111665251332097

More
#Redskins TE Jordan Reed (toe) and T Trent Williams (knee) are doing well after rehabbing from offseason surgeries, but are expected to ease their way into training camp action as precaution, source says.

WR Josh Doctson (precautionary MRI on leg) is expected to be full go.

Last edited:
This may ruffle a few feathers, but I feel his stunted production had as much to do with Kirk as it did him. I can remember seeing him flash open and never even get a look. I also remember numerous reports of frustration within the WR group regarding Cousins missing WIDE OPEN receivers in favor of the conservative, easy approach. I will be the first one to admit that part of this has to do with Jay and the design of the offense.

You kept hearing Kirk didn't "trust" him, whatever the hell that means.

Kirk locked on to receivers and may as well have married Jordan Reed. I'm guessing that's another reason he threw so many pickles. We always heard of stories of prior QB's having guys open all over, but not even being seen. Kirk was protected from some of that, but somewhere along the way, people said "Eff it" and started saying "Look at all these guys out there Kirk is missing" and putting it on display.

He really did seem to lock on to one or two guys. Once Thompson was out, Kirk was done.

As a sidenote... I'm very curious how much of Kirk's yardage was YAC from CT turning a catch from a 1-3 yard throw into 25 yards and how that affected things after he (CT) was injured.

Nick

Doctson confirmed earlier this morning that he is 100%.

I've never heard of an MRI to prove that you are 100% healthy, but I can understand why this was done.

Gruden starting voicing as much (in more diplomatic terms) late in the season. He became quite vocal in trying to urge Kirk to let it fly more often and go off schedule. I think we'll see more of that from Smith this year.

2 things, I think Alex Smith is a better QB than Cousins. If I were Minnesota and I though Smith was on the trading block, I would likely have gone for him than Cousins. They are in a position to win it all in the next 2 seasons, if the QB play can be solid. I think Cousins can do well, but I think Smith is closer to championship play.

Then there is my fandom of Zimmer and how I really like what he has done in Minnesota. I am afraid I will no longer be able to root for them, even with my favorite NFL RB, Dalvin Cook. I think Cousins is shitty. He had the world in his hands in DC, and could have made this his team for years to come, he knew 3 years ago he would never sign long term and we wasted 2 seasons on him. I blame us too, but **** him!

Days left until Training Camp

images

Last edited:
Ok wow? I never knew 0 was ever an option at any point in The NFL's history?

ca2721ac888c3ef04b40196b6ff9865f.jpg

August of last year...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
McClou has been wrong a whole lot of times.
So I'm not sure how he "settles it once and for all", on the first day of camp :laugh2:
Though of course, on this one, I hope he's right

Lol... I dont think it settles anything... and he actually tweeted that in August of 17 which was at the beginning of last season. There were rumors that Guice was not 100% last year, so it is interesting to see that going into last year, one of the better talent evaluating execs thought he was the better option.

It popped on my feed because someone pointed it out yesterday so I figured I would share.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 6, Members: 0, Guests: 6)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.