• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

Penn state running backs that were awesome in the nfl...........good luck vagiants

So Barkley get 4 yrs/31m guaranteed? Guice is looking better and better everyday.

Indeed. Guice is proving to be a great teammate and fan favorite at this juncture. Just hope it will translate to the football field this fall.

Mark your calendar, this many days

3ad2d5bd2ace3806c63b6627e3b9d54b.jpg

So Josh Doctson had a precautionary MRI on his leg on Monday.

I'm having flashbacks to Malcolm Kelly.

So Josh Doctson had a precautionary MRI on his leg on Monday.

I'm having flashbacks to Malcolm Kelly.

Lord help us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doctson's procedure was not necessarily cautionary, it was to see if it has healed properly and if there was no lingering damage.

It as healed properly according to reports and there is no damage. 100%. Good to go.

I wonder how many other players that played all 16 games last year had a ‘precautionary' MRI.

I wonder how many other players that played all 16 games last year had a ‘precautionary' MRI.

Valid question and point. You don't do an MRI out of the blue or just out of curiousity. At least I've never heard of one being done to assess a year old injury. Was this an MRI on his Achilles?

Can't be a great sign ...

Valid question and point. You don't do an MRI out of the blue or just out of curiousity. At least I've never heard of one being done to assess a year old injury. Was this an MRI on his Achilles?

Can't be a great sign ...

I don't know if they ever disclosed WHERE it was..

The rational side of me says you don't do an MRI unless there is a problem.

The curious side of me spins it saying, I wonder if it's far fetched to do an MRI to confirm that whatever was wrong has healed. Get it on film instead of trusting the lack of symptoms. Get a scientific look before he gets out and re-aggravates or develops a problem because something was underlying and masked. I can't remember anyone having one prior to camp without a known injury, but most players get a follow up film done as they're completing recovery to get passed by the DR to play.

As far as Doctson goes, an MRI would've made sense at the start of 2017. But we're a YEAR out from any known injury - right? The only reason I can think of to do an MRI is if he's complaining about something bothering him or the trainers are seeing something concerning. Hopefully it's nothing, or overreaction.

The sad truth though is that it would only be a huge loss in terms of potential. Doctson was hardly an impact player last season in terms of production. He showed some sparks and had a few decent games, but that's about it. This is a make or break season for him. He needs to show that he's a star in the making this year or I'm going to have to categorize him as a blown pick.

As far as Doctson goes, an MRI would've made sense at the start of 2017. But we're a YEAR out from any known injury - right? The only reason I can think of to do an MRI is if he's complaining about something bothering him or the trainers are seeing something concerning. Hopefully it's nothing, or overreaction.

The sad truth though is that it would only be a huge loss in terms of potential. Doctson was hardly an impact player last season in terms of production. He showed some sparks and had a few decent games, but that's about it. This is a make or break season for him. He needs to show that he's a star in the making this year or I'm going to have to categorize him as a blown pick.

This may ruffle a few feathers, but I feel his stunted production had as much to do with Kirk as it did him. I can remember seeing him flash open and never even get a look. I also remember numerous reports of frustration within the WR group regarding Cousins missing WIDE OPEN receivers in favor of the conservative, easy approach. I will be the first one to admit that part of this has to do with Jay and the design of the offense.

If the designed progression of the play goes right to left, and Doc may be the 3rd read, but the 1st read is open for a 7 yard out route, then Kirk never even gets to Doc in the progression and doesn't see him flash open deep because the ball is out already. Now I also blame Jay and the offensive staff for this, because they need to be aware of it and need to tweak progressions and stuff based on matchups. An additional factor for this could be the struggles we had on the O-line. They may not have had the confidence that the O-line could keep Kirk up long enough to make those deeper reads, so everything was designed to get the ball out fast on the 1st / 2nd progression...

Something in my gut tells me this year is going to be BIG for Doctson. I think we're going to see a MAJOR step towards what he's going to become as a player. I have no real evidence to back that up other than jumping on the hype train about this kid, but something tells me it's gonna be different.

I think there were multiple reasons Doctson didn't get more looks. Cousins has never been a 'spread the ball around' QB. He loved Reed. He loved Crowder. And he loved Grant and Thompson out of the backfield. If you didn't have one of those names on your jersey, you just weren't getting a look very often, open or not. And considering we were starting guys off the street on the OL at points last season, I don't think anyone can fault them for going with quick drops and the short passing game.

That being said, I'm not sure Doctson was open every play or for that matter whether he was running crisp correct routes every time. Maybe he was, but I'm not convinced that was the case. It's kind of like the backup QB - everyone loves him until they really get a great look at him.

I think you may be on to something though. Doctson could shine with a guy like Smith under center, assuming he can stay on the field. We just have a ton of questions in the passing game. Will Reed be able to stay on the field? What have we got in Paul Richardson? And on and on. I don't feel at all comfortable predicting what our passing game effectiveness will be and who will stand out (beyond Crowder who always seems solid).

I think there were multiple reasons Doctson didn't get more looks. Cousins has never been a 'spread the ball around' QB. He loved Reed. He loved Crowder. And he loved Grant and Thompson out of the backfield. If you didn't have one of those names on your jersey, you just weren't getting a look very often, open or not. And considering we were starting guys off the street on the OL at points last season, I don't think anyone can fault them for going with quick drops and the short passing game.

That being said, I'm not sure Doctson was open every play or for that matter whether he was running crisp correct routes every time. Maybe he was, but I'm not convinced that was the case. It's kind of like the backup QB - everyone loves him until they really get a great look at him.

I think you may be on to something though. Doctson could shine with a guy like Smith under center, assuming he can stay on the field. We just have a ton of questions in the passing game. Will Reed be able to stay on the field? What have we got in Paul Richardson? And on and on. I don't feel at all comfortable predicting what our passing game effectiveness will be and who will stand out (beyond Crowder who always seems solid).

I can't argue, it's likely he wasn't OPEN on every play. That's a given.... nobody is. But even if he was open a handful of times over the course of the season. Last year he was at about 500 yds. Say he catches 10 more balls at the same average he had (14.3) and hes up closer to 650.... then we're having a completely different conversation. Say 2 of those are TDs and he goes from 6 to 8.

35 rec / 502 yards / 14.3 avg / 6 tds

sounds a lot different than

45 rec / 650 yds / 14.4 avg / 8 tds

in reference to a 2nd (essentially 1st) year WR who played in all 16 games vs 2 the year before.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 7, Members: 0, Guests: 7)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.