• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

There is always going to be a stupid team with a desperate GM that overspends in free agency. It used to be us with Deion Sanders and Albert Haynesworth.

Yes, Cousins is going to get a market-breaking deal that will last as long as it takes for Aaron Rodger and Drew Brees to get new contracts.

But will that team be a contender for more than one season (if it already is one?)

A team like Denver or Jacksonville can make a plausible argument that settling on the right quarterback will have them in the Super Bowl in 2018.

So, for them the gamble may very well be worth the risk.

But for teams like the NY Jets and Cleveland they are years away from being a contender with or without an upgrade at quarterback.

What they do is something NOT to be copied by others (as it usually is with these guys).

I agree with Feinstein that Cousins would likely have turned down a $137M offer from the Redskins just to get out of town.

After the Redskins refused to give Cousins a max type deal the first year he was under the franchise tag, Kirk has had one step out the door.

The departure of Sean McVay and the descent of the Redskins to 7-9 and now in a division with the 13-3 Super Bowl Champion Eagles and the 9-7 Cowboys who seem to beat the Redskins on a regular basis with Prescott and Elliott, only clinched it.

Meanwhile Denver has only to pass the 10-6 Chiefs who as division champs return with a first year starter at qb in Mahomes.

The Jaguars are in a division they were able to win with Blake Bortles at quarterback. That should tell you what you need to know there.

Those teams plus the Vikings if things clear up there are the best places for a FA quarterback to go to.

The biggest thing with those 3 teams is that they are built on running the ball and defense. With how deep this 1st round is with QBs, as well as the names in free agency, I could see all 3 of those teams taking a long hard look at the team and thinking that paying a QB nearly $30 mil a year is not an option. Minnesota and Jax were a game away from the SB and both had a 'journeyman' QB. Bortles will cost Jax $15mil this year if they pick up his option, they're also likely losing one of their top 2 WR, so they'll need money there. Minnesota doesn't have a single QB under contract right now, so they'll likely be drafting one this year ANYWAY, regardless of who they sign. Keenum, is likely going to be a lot less expensive that Kirk, and they will be getting their top RB back.. Denver is the one that stands to make the biggest jump, but if Keenum gets locked up early in FA, Jax picks up Bortles option, and Denver commits that no. 5 overall pick to a QB that's going to cost 10% of what Kirk will... it's possible that the only teams to be bidding for his services could be Cleveland and NYJ, which both have the cap $$ to go far in negotiations, but leave a lot to be desired regarding competition.

Nothing is official so technically it's a Josh McDaniels situation.. Smith could sit down at Redskins park on March 14 at 4:01 and say... "you've got me for this year, then I'm a free agent" and there isn't a damn thing we can do about it. This is part of the reason I pray we aren't playing around with some vindictive tag and trade for Kirk. The more we play petty mind games with Kirk, the more Smith is going to reconsider his loyalty to a team that has shown no loyalty to their current high profile QB. Let the man go, let's get Smith in here. Take the lump of what happened in the whole thing, and move on. Get to work.

Wouldn't the Skins have some sort of agreement in place to safeguard against this? If he doesn't sign extension, trade is void.

Wouldn't the Skins have some sort of agreement in place to safeguard against this? If he doesn't sign extension, trade is void.

You would hope so... but I believe the rule is the same as the rule is with coaches in the postseason... that ink cant touch paper til both teams involved have completed their seasons..

That's right. The trade, and the extension, don't happen until the ink hits the paper. Very doubtful any of the party's involved will change their mind.
Unless someone gets busted for drugs, or beating up a woman.

And it would be gross negligence for the team to NOT explore the possibilities of a tag and trade. Because you know, as sure as Buddha made little green apples, if it comes out after the fact, that the team could have gotten something, with little to no risk, and didn't try, everyone ready to throw the front office into a running wood chipper would be breaking fingers typing about how the inept front office blew a chance to get a little something. If it can't happen, it can't happen. Throwing it out there to see if you get any bites doesn't hurt a soul. It's just talk.

The lesson coming out of the Josh McDaniels fiasco is that IF you are going to go back on your word and make yourself personna non grata around the NFL you better have one team that has already agreed to take you on and keep you long-term.

McDaniels has that in New England. Smith doesn't have that.

McDaniels' agent refused to continue to represent him and I would imagine McDaniels going forward has less of a chance of being on another team going forward than Colin Kaepernick.

If he doesn't get the HC job when Belichick steps away from the Patriots, McDaniels is probably going to have to go to the college ranks to re-establish himself.

Didn't like him when he took the Denver job and think even less of him now. And yes, Smith would be burning major bridges if he tried to back out.

Vontae Davis has been cleared to play. I'm wondering if a CB interested in reestablishing himself at 30 years old would garner any interest from the Redskins? The guy has proven he could play in Indy and Miami, but is coming off injury.

Vontae Davis has been cleared to play. I'm wondering if a CB interested in reestablishing himself at 30 years old would garner any interest from the Redskins? The guy has proven he could play in Indy and Miami, but is coming off injury.

He's Vernon Davis' little brother. I'd say that, all other factors aside, makes consideration far more likely...

That is the kind of move IMO that the Redskins have to look at in terms of the backfield.

We have spent significant free agent dollars and draft picks already in the backfield in recent seasons and need to address the DL and sort out what we have at linebacker to move forward as a defense.

With Norman counting $16M against the cap in 2018 and Dunbar resigned to a multi-year deal the Redskins need to look to add value depth as the Eagles did.

Ronald Darby and Patrick Robinson were re-treads and the Eagles were able to win 13 games and 3 playoff games with them in the lineup because they had a dynamite front four.

That's where we need to build up first and foremost.

15 days until this Kirk mess is officially behind us.

March 6Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, deadline for clubs to designate Franchise or Transition Players.

<tbody style="box-sizing: border-box;">
</tbody>

Ronald Darby was not a retread. He was a starter his first two years and traded for Jordan Matthews and a 3rd round pick in 2018.

Unconfirmed rumors from JLC that Josh Norman hates our FO and wants out.

Who knows with JLC though? He's not very reliable.

I'm surprised JLC has the time to report anything with all the time he spends on Twitter espousing his political views. He should just shut up and dribble.

Unconfirmed rumors from JLC that Josh Norman hates our FO and wants out.

Who knows with JLC though? He's not very reliable.

LaCanfora has had an anti-Skins agenda for a long time now. Still - doubt he'd just flat out make something up. Question is - if someone is chirping or planting rumors, who would that likely be? Seems like the most obvious answer would be unlikely - Norman himself. With Fuller gone, and Breeland's future uncertain, he's slated to be THE premier CB. I'd think that would be a good spot for him right now?

Could it be his agent trying to set the stage for him departing DC, maybe in order to get a bigger deal somewhere else?

Could it be Breeland or his agent with the goal of making keeping HIM in DC a bigger priority?

Would love to know where this one is coming from...

I'd trust about half of what J-Load thinks and none of what he says.

Boone, I really dislike JLC.

I guess it's possible though that Norman wants to win a SB and believes our secondary would be a mess without Fuller and Breeland.

I hope there's no truth to it. It would be great to see him come out and refute it.

So...

Pick 13 rolls around, and in a shocking development, both Baker Mayfield and Josh Allen have yet to be picked.

What do you do? :)

So...

Pick 13 rolls around, and in a shocking development, both Baker Mayfield and Josh Allen have yet to be picked.

Take a TE who's rated as a 2nd rounder!!!

AA0735A0-5822-46CC-9E4A-91E51C67C90B.gif

So...

Listen to all offers being made for our pick, and take the best one. Move down, add choices.

If none are worth it, then continue the surprise by making Mayfield and Rosen available at #14 , by selecting the best "up the middle" player on the board.

Boone, I really dislike JLC.

I guess it's possible though that Norman wants to win a SB and believes our secondary would be a mess without Fuller and Breeland.

I hope there's no truth to it. It would be great to see him come out and refute it.

Isn't the burden of proof on J-Load showing that Norman did say that?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 4, Members: 0, Guests: 4)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.