• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

Either way, we HAVE to upgrade the rushing attack and obtain a veteran presence at WR.

I would be saying this if Cousins was staying or if the Redskins had dealt for a younger qb or drafted someone else.

The fact is Rob Kelley, Samaje Perine, Kapri Bibbs, etc. are all BACKUP quality runners in this league.

Chris Thompson is an excellent change of pace back, one of the best, but you can't give him the ball 20-25 times a game and expect him to hold up for 16 games.

Forget Fournette or Ezekiel Elliott.

If the Redskins had a Dalvin Cook or Kareem Hunt or Alvin Kamara we would be ready to roll with the play action game which Smith excels at.

At wide receiver, assuming that the club is intent on keeping Doctson, Crowder and some of the younger players like Robert Davis - we need to bring in a veteran presence - a guy that can come in here and be the leader and show these guys how to get the job done from the standpoint of being an established professional.

A younger Pierre Garcon so to speak. Competitive with some fire.

Either way, we HAVE to upgrade the rushing attack and obtain a veteran presence at WR.

I would be saying this if Cousins was staying or if the Redskins had dealt for a younger qb or drafted someone else.

The fact is Rob Kelley, Samaje Perine, Kapri Bibbs, etc. are all BACKUP quality runners in this league.

Chris Thompson is an excellent change of pace back, one of the best, but you can't give him the ball 20-25 times a game and expect him to hold up for 16 games.

Forget Fournette or Ezekiel Elliott.

If the Redskins had a Dalvin Cook or Kareem Hunt or Alvin Kamara we would be ready to roll with the play action game which Smith excels at.

At wide receiver, assuming that the club is intent on keeping Doctson, Crowder and some of the younger players like Robert Davis - we need to bring in a veteran presence - a guy that can come in here and be the leader and show these guys how to get the job done from the standpoint of being an established professional.

A younger Pierre Garcon so to speak. Competitive with some fire.

I can agree with all of this... I like Perine a lot, and haven't given up hope that he can be a good piece, but I do want a guy who can take it to the house on any play. We can't live on Thompson as hard as we did at times this last year.

What the hell does Joe Jacoby need to do to earn a hall of fame spot?! There is some buzz on Twitter suggesting he didn't make the cut again.

Apologies if this has already been discussed and I missed it, but what's the feeling here re: Doug Williams as our future GM? Is that a possibility, and if so do you fellas like the notion or no?

I bet Randy Moss made it in because the game is in Minnesota :mad2:

Besides, the football writers have short memories and tend to recall the sexy quarterbacks, runners and receivers.

Linemen?

They are usually an after-thought unless they have a personality that transcends their position like Reggie White or Michael Strahan.

but I do want a guy who can take it to the house on any play.

I believe Mack Brown falls under that category...however...

Apologies if this has already been discussed and I missed it, but what's the feeling here re: Doug Williams as our future GM? Is that a possibility, and if so do you fellas like the notion or no?

Short answer would be no.
And I do believe that that is also the overall strong consensus here.

Short answer would be no.
And I do believe that that is also the overall strong consensus here.

Thanks Spear, but would you care to elaborate? I'm reading that he was instrumental in the Alex Smith deal, but I haven't followed his career arc as a FO guy with us. What are the negatives associated with that promotion, if you wouldn't mind.

Allen is not a personnel guy so whether he got the official title or not Williams is in fact the senior football executive in the organization now.

That doesn't mean Snyder or Allen won't question Williams or try and get him to do things with the roster at times, but you can say that for a lot of teams around the league where owners and team president types have had increasing say over the past 10-15 years.

It used to be that Al Davis was really the only owner that got down to the detail level with players, game-planning and college prospects.

But Jones, Kraft, Richardson (now ex), Brown, Bisciotti and others have shown they want to make their marks.

Thanks Spear, but would you care to elaborate? I'm reading that he was instrumental in the Alex Smith deal, but I haven't followed his career arc as a FO guy with us. What are the negatives associated with that promotion, if you wouldn't mind.

Others can probably explain this better than myself, but my perspective is that he hasn't actually been given the complete duties, responsibilities, and power normally associated with the position he's been hired for.
His power level doesn't match his title. That tells me that they don't completely trust him with much of the decision making. He doesn't have the final say in anything. He and Gruden are about on the same level, as far as giving input, but not actual authority on player acquisitions. Allen is the tiebreaker and the ultimate decision-maker in these situations.
And Williams is not seen as a top evaluator of talent, negotiator, etc.
To his credit though, and perhaps a big reason he's there, is he's seen as a very player-friendly FO figure. Perhaps someone who has the personality who can draw the desired and correct players to the franchise, and let the rest of the staff do the rest.
That's my understanding. I don't claim to be an expert in this, and I could be a little off in my analysis.

Last edited:
Others may be able to explain this better than myself, but my perspective is that his
He hasn't actually been given the complete duties, responsibilities, and power normally associated with the position he's been hired for.
His power level doesn't match his title. That tells me that they don't completely trust him with much of the decision making. He doesn't have the final say in anything. He and Gruden are about on the same level, as far as giving input, but not actual authority
on player acquisitions. Allen is the tiebreaker and the ultimate decision-maker in these situations.
And Williams is not seen as a top evaluator of talent, negotiator, etc.
To his credit though, and perhaps a big reason he's there, is he's seen as a very player-friendly FO figure. Perhaps someone who has the personality who can draw the desired and correct players to the franchise, and let the rest of the staff do the rest.
That's my understanding. I don't claim to be an expert in this, and I could be a little off in my analysis.

Good stuff. I appreciate it buddy.

What the hell does Joe Jacoby need to do to earn a hall of fame spot?! There is some buzz on Twitter suggesting he didn't make the cut again.

Joe Gibbs' 80's /early 90's Redskins teams are the most disrespected, under valued Super Bowl Champions of the Superbowl era.

So the HOF voters would have you believe that Joe's teams went to four Superbowls in ten years and only possessed FOUR HOF players.

The whole committee is a joke.

Again, it's easier for the voters to look at guys with statistics.

See John Riggins. He was a running back, scored 104 touchdowns, was MVP of the Super Bowl with a record 166 rushing yards.

He went in rather easily early in his eligibility period.

But players like Jacoby and Russ Grimm?

They have no individual stats to review. You have to look at what the TEAM did and specifically the skill players in key games to see the performance of the OL.

Voters are often too lazy to do that.

The fact the Redskins TWICE set the Super Bowl rushing record evidently doesn't move the needle for our OL players.

John Riggins and Timmy Smith did it all on their own :laugh:

For the voters the 49ers were a lot easier to deal with.

Montana threw passes. Steve Young threw passes. Jerry Rice caught passes.

Each team had high profile DBs that are HOFers in Ronnie Lott and Darrell Green.

But the Redskins never had a passer of Montana or Young's stature in the game.

While that shouldn't count for the other positions, it does in fact count with the voters.

That's why the ONLY vote that really means anything to me after those first several years of eligibility is ultimately the Veteran's Committee.

Players and coaches know who the best performers were.

Even with LT on his side, it took YEARS for Grimm to get into the HOF.

Randy Moss and Terrell Owens never won a damn thing. They bounced from team to team because nobody could stand them and they were lousy teammates.

But again they have statistics.

That's why they will get in.

Boone, your Bram Weinstein audio is awesome. I can't comment on it there so I will here. I have never shied away from my contrarian nature; as a young man I loved the Celtics when every friend I had was a hardcore Lakers fan, so being a B&G diehard on the wrong side of the country has never been a big deal. Sometimes, though, being a long way from 'home' in enemy territory can be dispiriting. I can access this content just as easily as anyone else these days via the 'net. but I envy my brothers and sisters who are surrounded by fellow fans on a daily basis. I hope it's not sacreligous or offensive to those who have served to suggest that I consider myself a sports lurp, way out here on the Left Coast, in that someday perhaps many more besides myself may share the same mindset. Hail.

I see no way that this could work out positively for the team. It seems childish of them.

I see no way that this could work out positively for the team. It seems childish of them.

Do we even have a GM? Because right now this Front Office acts like two kids trying to figure out Franchise Mode on Madden.

Scot McCloughan is now a personnel consultant for the Browns.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 5, Members: 0, Guests: 5)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.