• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

In my mind candid is great for the 30 other organizations in the league. I'd prefer mine to go all Belichick or Popovich.

I was more referring to the media wanting candid. They complain when people dont talk, then cherry pick words to portray disfunction on some level.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Now this is a quote. Lol

Jay Gruden on Kirk Cousins and #Redskins' team needs: “There's different ways to target a position. It doesn't mean we have to target it by paying a guy $500 million.”

Now this is a quote. Lol

Jay Gruden on Kirk Cousins and #Redskins' team needs: “There's different ways to target a position. It doesn't mean we have to target it by paying a guy $500 million.”

Candid too. :)

Now this is a quote. Lol

This sounds to me like the strongest piece of actual evidence that Kirk ain't comin back.
I know Gruden is known for being candid, but he IS smart. And if there's even a reasonable chance of Kirk coming back, then he doesn't make that statement, IMO.

Speaking of Kurt and QB's, we should draft this guy. Then Bruce Allen would not have to re-adjust his pronunciation of "Kurt" for his QB.
Strange thing is, I'm getting the feeling he has more potential than Rudolph, who is graded a few slots higher.

Kurt Benkert, QB, Virginia
Height: 6-4. Weight: 215.
Projected 40 Time: 4.79.
Projected Round (2018): 4-6.
1/22/18: A general manager told WalterFootball.com that Benkert was a player who intrigued them and that they were going to be studying him some more. Benkert completed 59 percent of his passes in 2017 for 3,207 yards with 25 touchdowns and nine interceptions. He accepted an invitation to play in the Senior Bowl.

Benkert has enough size and above-average arm strength. While he isn't a great athlete, he has mobility and can extend plays with his feet. Benkert has very impressive deep ball accuracy with the ability to make some phenomenal throws off platform. Benkert will work through his progressions, but he needs to get faster at that and improve his field vision for the NFL. Benkert needs to improve on his feet, but a good NFL coach could fix that. Obviously, working under center and transitioning to a pro system will be a work in progress. The senior is a player to study and consider in the months to come.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2018QB.php

I don't really feel that Doug Williams has the tools to be a mover and shaker at his current NFL level. Feels more like a promotion made to please fans.

I don't agree with this.
Fans care far more about winning, than about a "token, lovable, ex-winning Redskin player" accepting a top position in management. Snyder has to know this. Not only does he know the fans feel this way, but I'm convinced he feels that way, that winning is the most important thing.
And I don't think he would spend big bucks on the latter above, especially if we're not winning.

I didn't say anything about what fans want. I said that I felt Snyder and Allen promoted Williams based on what THEY thought the fans would approve of. On the heels of firing an extremely popular GM (whether it was warranted or not) they were likely desperate to plug in someone who a) would automatically have a high approval rating from fans, and b) had a great history of success with the franchise.

The fact that Williams was someone they could easily control was just a bonus. And there's a reason why they didn't give him GM authority or the title.

You're talking about an owner who brought in Jim Zorn as a head coach for God's sake. Was that move made because it gave us the best chance of winning too?

Not trying to be harsh, that's just how I see it.

I didn't used to be so cynical Fear. To be honest, I hate that I am. But a guy can only take so much. I tip my hat to those that still have some faith in this owner and Front Office.

Last edited:
I didn't say anything about what fans want. I said that I felt Snyder and Allen promoted Williams based on what THEY thought the fans would approve of. On the heels of firing an extremely popular GM (whether it was warranted or not) they were likely desperate to plug in someone who a) would automatically have a high approval rating from fans, and b) had a great history of success with the franchise.

The fact that Williams was someone they could easily control was just a bonus. And there's a reason why they didn't give him GM authority or the title.

You're talking about an owner who brought in Jim Zorn as a head coach for God's sake. Was that move made because it gave us the best chance of winning too?

Not trying to be harsh, that's just how I see it.

I didn't used to be so cynical Fear. To be honest, I hate that I am. But a guy can only take so much. I tip my hat to those that still have some faith in this owner and Front Office.

After you have elaborated, it makes more sense to me.
And I can agree with this being a possibility.

I tip my hat to those that still have some faith in this owner and Front Office.

I do, to a degree, because Snyder has absolutely evolved for the better, during his ownership tenure.
So, who's to say he won't continue to evolve for the better, in the future ?

I do, to a degree, because Snyder has absolutely evolved for the better, during his ownership tenure.
So, who's to say he won't continue to evolve for the better, in the future ?

I don't believe it's impossible. I actually think Bruce Allen is a bigger problem currently - because he's not a savvy football guy, but seems genuinely unwilling to bring anyone on that actually is, and to empower them and get out of the way.

https://wtop.com/washington-redskins/2017/12/scot-mccloughan-hearing-bookends-washingtons-no-good-very-bad-week/

I am hoping something comes of this...when I first heard the news, my hope was that McGloughan would shed light on the dysfunction in DC. After checking in on this story, it appears that the nonchalant drinking that appears to go on at Redskins Park is a no-no according to the NFL. Let's all pray that as rumor becomes fact regarding the drinking that goes on at the Park, maybe Dan is forced to remove Allen from his position...maybe even re-hiring Scot!

OK, the rehire of Scot may be fantasy, but maybe after Belichek decides to move on from NE after winning #6 , Dan hires him to become the GM here, and he hires Matt Patricia to be the head coach after another failed season under Gruden.

I don't believe it's impossible. I actually think Bruce Allen is a bigger problem currently - because he's not a savvy football guy, but seems genuinely unwilling to bring anyone on that actually is, and to empower them and get out of the way.

Good businesses are built, imho, on hiring your replacement. When someone is working with the fear that they're going to be replaced... they stop making good business decisions and start making them personal. It's business 101. That is when you stop hiring the best candidate, or don't hire anyone at all, and the growth stops.

Yeah, I thought Patricia was heading to the colts.

He's been closest linked with the Lions and apparently had his choice between them and the Vagiants. Still don't know if it's official. I'm just thankful he's not in the NFC East.

McDaniels to Colts

Patricia to Lions

Last I read/heard.........

I think where Snyder has failed to evolve is with his sentimental attachment to the past. It's past time to move on. We need new blood, with new perspective as a full, all controlling GM. I thought he was wising up with Scott, but unless it's demonstrated drinking was to blame, I'd say he let the wrong guy win the power struggle.

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FNBCSWashington%2Fvideos%2F1819408591426652%2F&show_text=0&width=560" width="560" height="315" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

Got a question in to Doc and the guys @ the 5:40 mark about what's Doc's best Joe Jacoby story.

Pretty neat!

Thats awesome!!!

Side note, if you ever get a chance to listen to Doc talk, he's a heck of a speaker. He spoke at my brother in law's graduation and it was one of the best speeches I've ever heard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 7, Members: 2, Guests: 5)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.