• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

Gotcha. I'm really hoping the plan becomes clear soon. The limbo thing has gotten very old.

To me Cousins seems like a different kind of cat. It wouldn't surprise me if his goal is to reset the contract structure of the league as far as a fully guaranteed deal while, at the same time, maximizing his income. To become this generations Curt Flood, so to speak.

The most interesting factor is to see if any owner is willing to break rank in the face their peers.

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2018/01/23/mason-rudolph-childhood-dream-playing-for-the-redskins/

huh....

Senior Oklahoma State quarterback Mason Rudolph, the top passer in college football in 2017, says it was a childhood dream to play for the Redskins.

A three-year starter for Oklahoma State, Rudolph finished 2017 with 4,904 passing yards (65 completion percentage), 37 touchdowns (fourth) and 9 interceptions, shepherding the Cowboys to a 10-3 record and a bowl victory (over Virginia Tech) in his senior season. He was 30-9 overall as a starter and 2-1 in bowl games.

Rudolph, a Rock Hill, S.C. native — a stone's throw away from Redskins legend Joe Gibbs' North Carolina home — grew up going on family vacations with the Gibbs family.

“Me and my brother are good friends with the Gibbs' grandson, the boys,” Rudolph told 106.7 The Fan's Craig Hoffman at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala. “Jackson, who's the quarterback at UCLA now; Miller; and then Jason and Taylor. Great family. Obviously my parents were good friends with J.D., Coach Gibbs' son, and so we were close in proximity.”

“I was in Rock Hill (S.C.), they were in Charlotte (N.C.), and so we'd get together growing up all the way up through my childhood, take vacations together,” he said.

That's not where Rudolph's local ties end. Earlier in life, the he lived in Virginia. The Redskins were a part of his weekly tradition.

“I lived in Virginia, so that was the closest team to cheer for,” he said, “and I always loved turning on the game Sunday afternoon watching the Skins play. That was kind of my team, really.”

Last edited:
To me Cousins seems like a different kind of cat. It wouldn't surprise me if his goal is to reset the contract structure of the league as far as a fully guaranteed deal while, at the same time, maximizing his income. To become this generations Curt Flood, so to speak.

The most interesting factor is to see if any owner is willing to break rank in the face their peers.

it would be a stupid financial decision for any team to do so because of the hard cap.

Once Grant Paulsen removed Kirk's penis from his mouth for long enough, he said it would be fair to give him a three-year deal for $75m, essentially making the entire contract a signing bonus. Now... say Kirk goes out in game 6 next year and tears an ACL or shits the bed, both of which are possible. The team has no “out” and a hard cap. You cut him, whammo goes your cap.

Last edited:
NFL agent on Twitter clarifying that when you franchise tag a player for the 3rd straight year, only the 'Exclusive' franchise tag is allowed.

I can tell you one thing - the team cares not if a guy was a Dallas fan growing up. Rudolph is an interesting possibility. A lot of mixed reviews on him. Has good size (6' 4", 230 lbs), pretty strong arm, completed 63% of his passes at Oklahoma State. Not as exciting as some of the other prospects. Kind of a boy scout.

Impressive in that he really improved every year as a starter.

Attachments

• stats.jpg
    stats.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 119
it would be a stupid financial decision for any team to do so because of the hard cap.

Once Grant Paulsen removed Kirk's penis from his mouth for long enough, he said it would be fair to give him a three-year deal for $75m, essentially making the entire contract a signing bonus. Now... say Kirk goes out in game 6 next year and tears an ACL or shits the bed, both of which are possible. The team has no “out” and a hard cap. You cut him, whammo goes your cap.

I totally agree. But...teams do stupid shit all the time.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Redskins Senior VP of Player Personnel Doug Williams to reporters at the Senior Bowl: "I've always said that the draft is like a crapshoot sometimes." From the "football player" era to the "crapshoot" era.</p>— Chris Lingebach (@ChrisLingebach) <a href="https://twitter.com/ChrisLingebach/status/955911161333116928?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 23, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Inspiring....right?

:kick_can:

Inspiring....right? :kickcan:

He was responding to a specific question about drafting a QB. And he's right. I really don't see why that's a big deal. Maybe not 'media savvy' but even fans know it's true. That being said - I don't really feel that Doug Williams has the tools to be a mover and shaker at his current NFL level. Feels more like a promotion made to please fans.

If so, I think it was a real miscalculation. Based on what I have heard and read since the announcement, Redskins fans almost universally responded to the news Doug W had been hired in a lead personnel role with ... "Williams? Really?"

Hoping he proves me wrong, but I'm also in the "I just don't see it"camp.

Twitter is all abuzz this morning with the Williams comments. Overall theme is that, while there may be some validity to what Williams was probably trying to say (that there are no guarantees especially when drafting a QB in the draft), it was a pretty stupid and tone deaf remark to make at a time when inspiring confidence and reassuring a worried fanbase ought to be the goal.

Communicating with the fanbase and to the media is part of an executive gig. So far, Williams isn't doing very well.

It's a complete and utter misunderstanding or ignorance of situational awareness.

It was also cherry picked... he said this later

“It all depends what's in the guy's heart, and how they look at this thing and how they take the game,” he said. “The most important thing, if they play this game with a lot of passion and a lot of heart, with the abilities that they do have, nine out of ten they're gonna be successful.”

the terminology and the presentation were way off on that part... so now everyone is freaking out that this guy doesn't know what he's doing.

Eh, much ado about nothing.

It is a crapshoot. Always has been. Always will be.

That's the way life goes. People are just too arrogant to believe that luck/fate plays the biggest part.
Both the good and the bad.

You're both exactly right.

And it still doesn't change the fact that it was a very stupid and unsophisticated choice of words :)

I see it the way you guys do, but not being careful with your words or the tone just creates drama and distraction. It is what it is.

Here's the entire video...

https://www.pscp.tv/Redskins/1rmGPOoajqyKN?t=1m8s

Last edited:
True, if image and perception are overly important to someone.

Results speak the loudest.

Eh, much ado about nothing.

It is a crapshoot. Always has been. Always will be.

That's the way life goes. People are just too arrogant to believe that luck/fate plays the biggest part.
Both the good and the bad.

funny how everyone wants candid til someone is candid... then they say 'you can't say that'

I don't personally care. I think it's getting way more attention than it should. But it does feed the narrative that this job is too big for Doug Williams. And it may be :)

McCloughan said similar things when he was the GM. But McCloughan was smart enough not to use loaded words like 'crapshoot'. The tone of the Williams comments were 'we're just going to throw some darts at the dartboard and see what happens'. He could've easily said 'There are never any guarantees when drafting but we're going to use all of our talented scouts and resources to get the best players available in the draft'.

When you say stupid things, and people freak out - my advice is, don't say stupid things.

PS - I'm just reporting the shitstorm on Twitter. I'm not worried about the comments. But I have never been convinced that Doug Williams has the talent and smarts to do this kind of a job. And creating unnecessary drama because you can't speak coherently - it doesn't help inspire confidence. That's just the way I see it.

I here you, brother.

Of course, if I was GM I'd want to make every other GM in the league think I didn't know shit from shinola.

Until I rip their guts out by picking someone they had no idea I would. And that someone ends up in the HOF, as a Redskin.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Burgundy Koolaid in a Gold glass baby!!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 6, Members: 0, Guests: 6)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.