• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

One thing NE is very good at is leveraging picks. It's not unusual to see them trade back for more selections in a draft. Rarely do they seem laser focused on one guy they have to have. A true sign of competent and talented leadership.

Yep. That, and they don't make decisions based on fan desires, sentimentality, or conventional wisdom. They'll cut a beloved player in a heartbeat if they think he's entered the downside of his career, and they'll bring on a supposed bad seed just as quickly if they think he can still produce.

I think it's funny that when the Redskins make a 'Patriots-like' decision, like moving on from Garcon and Jackson, it's instantly hailed as proof our front office is incompetent.

Of course, the Patriots would've signed Pryor and we'd have watched him rack up 2000 yards receiving and win the Super Bowl MVP award :)

Thanks for the support SO!

All the Pat's moves have had the benefit of being run through the BradyWins filter.
If you lose, everything is criticized. Once the GOAT they lucked into is gone, we'll see how some of the moves are portrayed.

Actually the Patriots under Bellichek started taking ‘pot shots' at qb before Brady by drafting Brady. Bledsoe's injury opened the door for him.

Even more support to the point that you can never look at the QB position as 'set.' Yet our front office has failed to maintain a flow of players through that position based on a lightning in a bottle season in 2012 and a couple years of statistical increases..

Yep. That, and they don't make decisions based on fan desires, sentimentality, or conventional wisdom. They'll cut a beloved player in a heartbeat if they think he's entered the downside of his career, and they'll bring on a supposed bad seed just as quickly if they think he can still produce.

I think it's funny that when the Redskins make a 'Patriots-like' decision, like moving on from Garcon and Jackson, it's instantly hailed as proof our front office is incompetent.

Of course, the Patriots would've signed Pryor and we'd have watched him rack up 2000 yards receiving and win the Super Bowl MVP award :)

I agree that the price tag on Jax / Garcon was high, and I was actually encouraged to a point that we hadn't dropped a ton of money to keep jersey sales up. That was a move in what appears to be the right direction.. Garcon's injury looks to be one that could truly effect his career, and Jax is already in hot water in Tampa, as well as apparently having a rift between him and his QB.

Going to go 'contrarian' here, just for a change :)

Are we really in that bad a situation in terms of future QB?

I'm not sure we are. I say that with the obvious understanding that I'm a big Kirk fan and while acknowledging that the team is at least partly to blame that we 'are where we are' with his future in DC so uncertain.

There are only a few possibilities that can occur before now and the 2018 season.

1) Skins Franchise Tag Cousins - I think it's highly unlikely the Skins 'rent' Cousins for another year, for several reasons. Gruden has publically stated he doesn't want that outcome. But more importantly - if the Skins are going to lose Cousins long-term either this offseason or next, it makes zero sense to delay his departure by a year (especially if it's going to cost you $34 million to do it). We have the 13th pick in what's supposed to be one of the most QB rich drafts in recent memory. We WILL have a chance to grab an impact QB, whether it's Mayfield, Mason Rudolph, or if one of the other talents drops to us. If you have to replace Cousins in the next 2 years, you do it THIS year. If the Skins franchise Kirk, they do it because they have a 'wink and nod' agreement with Cousins and another team. This is more likely than media talking heads believe - because there are some teams that LOVE Cousins. The short list - Denver, Cleveland, and the Jets - I believe any 3 of which would be willing to take a one year massive salary hit to get him long-term. The key to this deal would be that Cousins would have to agree with his future destination, and also have his own 'wink and nod' assurance as to what his LTD with his future team would look like.

If all that could be worked out in advance (not addressing whether that's kosher as far as league rules go), it could be an absolute bonanza for the Skins. Biggest question would be whether or not the 'trade' would involve a swap of picks to move up to pick a top 1 or 2 QB, or whether we'd ask for additional picks and stay at 13 which would be my preference.

I'm not sure the Redskins FO is savvy and smart enough to figure all this out, but imho it would represent the best scenario for us.

2. Re-Sign Kirk to a LTD - Most fans don't consider this even a possibility. But it may still be. Twitter buzz and social media experts have painted a scenario where Kirk hates our front office, only cares about the $$$, and wants out. But I think, like the McCloughan firing, the 'truth' is often far more complicated. I believe it's quite possible that Kirk really likes his teammates, wants to continue playing for Gruden, and is using the situation wisely as leverage to get the most out of the Redskins LTD offer that he can. This scenario becomes a lot more likely if the teams willing to pay Cousins a king's ransom turn out to be teams like the Browns or Jets. Cousins is smart. I don't believe he wants to be the highest paid player in the NFL if that means being relegated to being the best player on a horrific squad at a destination no more attractive than where he currently lives. If he doesn't get a blockbuster offer at a place like Denver, or Jacksonville, he could well decide to accept a deal close to what those teams are offering and stay in DC. I know you don't believe me, and that's okay. But I think it could still go down.

3. The Redskins Transition Tag Cousins - This is my 3rd preferred option, although it may prove to be the most likely. The Redskins, by transition tagging Kirk, would have the option to match any offer, and worst case scenario, would get compensatory pick(s) if he does depart. I don't prefer this scenario because it's highly likely Kirk will get ridiculously unmatchable offers, and because whatever compensation the team gets, it would be a net loss in terms of value. But this scenario is the *safest* one, and it's 'PR friendly' in that ultimately it would put the decision to depart on Cousins (ie...the team would frame it as a 'we made Kirk this incredible offer but he left for ridiculous money offered somewhere else'). That aspect is why I think Bruce Allen might lean in this direction. Bottom line, while not the best outcome for the Skins, we'd at least still get additional draft stock if it were to occur.

The only other possibility is that the Redskins allow Kirk to walk with no compensation whatsoever. I cannot fathom that occurring.

So, essentially - in any of the likely 3 scenarios, the Skins either get a much higher first round draft pick, additional draft picks, or re-sign Cousins long-term. None of those are terrible situations if you're in the mood to look on the bright side.

I'm not sure we are. I say that with the obvious understanding that I'm a big Kirk fan and while acknowledging that the team is at least partly to blame that we 'are where we are' with his future in DC so uncertain.

There are only a few possibilities that can occur before now and the 2018 season.

1) Skins Franchise Tag Cousins - I think it's highly unlikely the Skins 'rent' Cousins for another year, for several reasons. Gruden has publically stated he doesn't want that outcome. But more importantly - if the Skins are going to lose Cousins long-term either this offseason or next, it makes zero sense to delay his departure by a year (especially if it's going to cost you $34 million to do it). We have the 13th pick in what's supposed to be one of the most QB rich drafts in recent memory. We WILL have a chance to grab an impact QB, whether it's Mayfield, Mason Rudolph, or if one of the other talents drops to us. If you have to replace Cousins in the next 2 years, you do it THIS year. If the Skins franchise Kirk, they do it because they have a 'wink and nod' agreement with Cousins and another team. This is more likely than media talking heads believe - because there are some teams that LOVE Cousins. The short list - Denver, Cleveland, and the Jets - I believe any 3 of which would be willing to take a one year massive salary hit to get him long-term. The key to this deal would be that Cousins would have to agree with his future destination, and also have his own 'wink and nod' assurance as to what his LTD with his future team would look like.

If all that could be worked out in advance (not addressing whether that's kosher as far as league rules go), it could be an absolute bonanza for the Skins. Biggest question would be whether or not the 'trade' would involve a swap of picks to move up to pick a top 1 or 2 QB, or whether we'd ask for additional picks and stay at 13 which would be my preference.

I'm not sure the Redskins FO is savvy and smart enough to figure all this out, but imho it would represent the best scenario for us.

If I understand you correctly, I don't think the 'wink and nod' scenario is really realistic....at least the part about assurances on his LTD. Another team would want to get into a 'wink and nod' agreement because it would allow them to get Kirk at a known price without having to bid against others. But why would Kirk want to give them assurances on a LTD in this scenario? Wouldn't he rather hit the free market and see what he can get?

2. Re-Sign Kirk to a LTD - Most fans don't consider this even a possibility. But it may still be. Twitter buzz and social media experts have painted a scenario where Kirk hates our front office, only cares about the $$$, and wants out. But I think, like the McCloughan firing, the 'truth' is often far more complicated. I believe it's quite possible that Kirk really likes his teammates, wants to continue playing for Gruden, and is using the situation wisely as leverage to get the most out of the Redskins LTD offer that he can. This scenario becomes a lot more likely if the teams willing to pay Cousins a king's ransom turn out to be teams like the Browns or Jets. Cousins is smart. I don't believe he wants to be the highest paid player in the NFL if that means being relegated to being the best player on a horrific squad at a destination no more attractive than where he currently lives. If he doesn't get a blockbuster offer at a place like Denver, or Jacksonville, he could well decide to accept a deal close to what those teams are offering and stay in DC. I know you don't believe me, and that's okay. But I think it could still go down.

3. The Redskins Transition Tag Cousins - This is my 3rd preferred option, although it may prove to be the most likely. The Redskins, by transition tagging Kirk, would have the option to match any offer, and worst case scenario, would get compensatory pick(s) if he does depart. I don't prefer this scenario because it's highly likely Kirk will get ridiculously unmatchable offers, and because whatever compensation the team gets, it would be a net loss in terms of value. But this scenario is the *safest* one, and it's 'PR friendly' in that ultimately it would put the decision to depart on Cousins (ie...the team would frame it as a 'we made Kirk this incredible offer but he left for ridiculous money offered somewhere else'). That aspect is why I think Bruce Allen might lean in this direction. Bottom line, while not the best outcome for the Skins, we'd at least still get additional draft stock if it were to occur.

The only other possibility is that the Redskins allow Kirk to walk with no compensation whatsoever. I cannot fathom that occurring.

So, essentially - in any of the likely 3 scenarios, the Skins either get a much higher first round draft pick, additional draft picks, or re-sign Cousins long-term. None of those are terrible situations if you're in the mood to look on the bright side.

4. Kirk has already determined that he's not going to sign here, for any type of realistic contract. The Redskin franchise tag him, as you stated, renting him for another season. This imho is only an option if we are going to add a QB who could be essentially a year away and allow him to develop. Having him see Kirk and his processed could be a very good thing, and I think kirk has enough character to not purposely mislead the rookie.

5. Kirk again refuses to sign any LTD so we transition tag him.. Assuming Kirk's made his mind up that he does not want to be here, him and his agent gladly sign the transition tag, full well knowing that they will not sign any deal made by other teams because they do not want to let the Redskins match that offer.

6. Kirk and the Redskins sit down and understand that he does not want to be here long term, and the Redskins have no way of changing that. His mind is made up so they agree to part ways. This in my opinion is the best case scenario of the 3 I've outlined, because we are likely not winning the Superbowl, and most likely not even the Division next season, with or without Kirk.

All of my scenarios outline the idea that the Redskins aren't the decision maker here... Kirk is the one who's going to decide whether he wants to be here or not. I think a lot of people are putting too much in the camp of the Redskins and saying things like "we need to re-sign him" and "we can't let him walk" when in fact Kirk has as much to do with a signed contract as the Redskins do. Even if we make him a fair offer, I can see multiple scenarios, and reasons, why he could still chose to turn it down and move on.

If we tag him for the $34mil, he'll sign it immediately, and here we go again. He'll take the $34mil and laugh his way to next offseason, when he'll still be primed for LTD somewhere. And, he can take even less money then, because we will have paid him another ton of money, on top of the ton of money we already paid him. He's already made more money than anybody thought he ever would coming out of college. We've paid filet mignon prices for cube steak.

He is now actively holding the team hostage while he and his God (some people call them agents) have us waiting around to see what he's gonna do. All while his apologists wail about how he's been treated so unfairly.

**** him and his agent.

Greedy Lying Bastard

If I understand you correctly, I don't think the 'wink and nod' scenario is really realistic....at least the part about assurances on his LTD. Another team would want to get into a 'wink and nod' agreement because it would allow them to get Kirk at a known price without having to bid against others. But why would Kirk want to give them assurances on a LTD in this scenario? Wouldn't he rather hit the free market and see what he can get?

For the most obvious reason in the world - he wants to go to a specific destination. Denver would be the most likely possibility imho. Now if ALL Kirk cares about is the $$, you might be right. But I really doubt that's the case. But if he gets assurances on the *neighborhood* of what a LTD would look like, and it's his preferred destination - I think it's a win-win-win scenario.

I don't think Denver would be his first choice. He and his wife hate the cold. It's why they move to Georgia every offseason.

Jacksonville would be the more likely place he'd want to go.

And while I know it's not ALL about the money. It apparently is, for him to sign with us.

If he goes ANYWHERE for less than what we offer, only then he can say it's not about the money. And unfortunately, we made it possible for him to do so by making him a multimillionaire who never has to play another down. He is set for life.

We're so mean.

For the most obvious reason in the world - he wants to go to a specific destination. Denver would be the most likely possibility imho. Now if ALL Kirk cares about is the $$, you might be right. But I really doubt that's the case. But if he gets assurances on the *neighborhood* of what a LTD would look like, and it's his preferred destination - I think it's a win-win-win scenario.

I don't know. I still think he'd want to go into FA. He could still target Denver and see what he might leverage out of them, but then even take a lesser deal if that's his preferred destination. By going under the franchise tag, he runs the 'risk' of staying with the Skins in case the 'wink and nod' falls through.

4. Kirk has already determined that he's not going to sign here, for any type of realistic contract. The Redskin franchise tag him, as you stated, renting him for another season. This imho is only an option if we are going to add a QB who could be essentially a year away and allow him to develop. Having him see Kirk and his processed could be a very good thing, and I think kirk has enough character to not purposely mislead the rookie.

I don't think there's any chance the Redskins franchise Kirk with the idea of him playing in 2018 - for the reasons I previously gave. Colt McCoy can mentor a rookie QB just as well as Kirk could (perhaps better). But if there's a team that wants Kirk, and whom Kirk absolutely wants to go to - the Redskins have leverage by using the franchise tag.

5. Kirk again refuses to sign any LTD so we transition tag him.. Assuming Kirk's made his mind up that he does not want to be here, him and his agent gladly sign the transition tag, full well knowing that they will not sign any deal made by other teams because they do not want to let the Redskins match that offer.

I'm not following you here?

6. Kirk and the Redskins sit down and understand that he does not want to be here long term, and the Redskins have no way of changing that. His mind is made up so they agree to part ways. This in my opinion is the best case scenario of the 3 I've outlined, because we are likely not winning the Superbowl, and most likely not even the Division next season, with or without Kirk.

Struggling to see how letting Cousins walk with ZERO compensation is an option at all, much less the best option. At some level, it doesn't matter if Kirk wants to be here or not. The only thing that matters is that the Skins get the most they can out of his departure. How is letting him walk better than transition tagging him where if we elect not to match the offer we get compensation?

All of my scenarios outline the idea that the Redskins aren't the decision maker here... Kirk is the one who's going to decide whether he wants to be here or not. I think a lot of people are putting too much in the camp of the Redskins and saying things like "we need to re-sign him" and "we can't let him walk" when in fact Kirk has as much to do with a signed contract as the Redskins do. Even if we make him a fair offer, I can see multiple scenarios, and reasons, why he could still chose to turn it down and move on.

Of course Kirk has a lot of influence/control in what happens. But the Redskins are not without leverage. If Kirk really wants out, the Skins have the power/threat of making him stay in DC another year. They may not be likely to play that card, but the threat is there. Where I think fans have it wrong is that they view this as some emotional conflict where Cousins and the Redskins Front Office are enemies and at odds. The smart play here for Cousins and his agent is to work with the Redskins to achieve the best possible outcome for all parties.

If we tag him for the $34mil, he'll sign it immediately, and here we go again. He'll take the $34mil and laugh his way to next offseason, when he'll still be primed for LTD somewhere. And, he can take even less money then, because we will have paid him another ton of money, on top of the ton of money we already paid him. He's already made more money than anybody thought he ever would coming out of college. We've paid filet mignon prices for cube steak.

He is now actively holding the team hostage while he and his God (some people call them agents) have us waiting around to see what he's gonna do. All while his apologists wail about how he's been treated so unfairly.

**** him and his agent.

Greedy Lying Bastard

I'm answering based on *my understanding' of the Franchise Tag rules - with the caveat that I'm not an expert and may have it wrong. I believe the Redskins can use one of two types of Franchise Tags on Cousins. The 'Exclusive' franchise tag means they have Kirk for a year at a set salary price, and only the team can negotiate a trade at that point. The 'wink and nod' deal could still be in play here. The team could also use the 'Non-Exclusive' franchise tag on Cousins - which would allow Kirk himself to go out there and work out a deal with another team, but allowing the Redskins to match it if they want.

If Cousins really wants to, sure, you're right. He could sign it. But that doesn't preclude the team or Cousins (depending on the tag type) from making a deal with a deal to trade him.

I guess it depends on how badly Kirk wants to get out of DC.

I don't know. I still think he'd want to go into FA. He could still target Denver and see what he might leverage out of them, but then even take a lesser deal if that's his preferred destination. By going under the franchise tag, he runs the 'risk' of staying with the Skins in case the 'wink and nod' falls through.

I'm sure Cousins wants to go through the full free agency period. The point is, the Redskins can block that effort and force Cousins to work WITH them to get him to the destination he prefers without hurting the Skins in the process. I'm struggling to understand what the Redskins have to gain by allowing him to go through Free Agency. At the least, I have to believe they'll transition tag him.

I'm answering based on *my understanding' of the Franchise Tag rules - with the caveat that I'm not an expert and may have it wrong. I believe the Redskins can use one of two types of Franchise Tags on Cousins. The 'Exclusive' franchise tag means they have Kirk for a year at a set salary price, and only the team can negotiate a trade at that point. The 'wink and nod' deal could still be in play here. The team could also use the 'Non-Exclusive' franchise tag on Cousins - which would allow Kirk himself to go out there and work out a deal with another team, but allowing the Redskins to match it if they want.

If Cousins really wants to, sure, you're right. He could sign it. But that doesn't preclude the team or Cousins (depending on the tag type) from making a deal with a deal to trade him.

I guess it depends on how badly Kirk wants to get out of DC.

I'm sure we're both a little fuzzy on tag rules.

I thought one tag, the $34mil one, can be either exclusive, or non exclusive. Exclusive means we want him, and are willing to pay the $34mil to guarantee he stays.
The non exclusive, means if another team wants to sign him, they have to work out a contract with him, and give us two 1st's, or whatever compensation we agree on. But, we'd still be on the hook for the $34mil if nobody wants him.

If I'm right about that, I see little motivation for #8 to take less than $34mil for next season. He can then do it all over again.

The transition tag is pretty straight forward. I guess if we have to go that route, it's at least a compensatory pick for 2019.

I don't think there's any chance the Redskins franchise Kirk with the idea of him playing in 2018 - for the reasons I previously gave. Colt McCoy can mentor a rookie QB just as well as Kirk could (perhaps better). But if there's a team that wants Kirk, and whom Kirk absolutely wants to go to - the Redskins have leverage by using the franchise tag.

Absolutely this would be the top choice, if Kirk indeed has decided he wants to move on, and an LTD is not an option. I don't however believe that the leverage of the franchise tag lies with us. We have the ability to retain his rights for 1 more season, yes... but he has the leverage because we control absolutely nothing beyond that.

I'm not following you here?

If we elect to apply the Transition tag, then Kirk can field offers from other teams... If another team offers a contract that he approves of, he has the ability to accept the offer. At that point the Redskins have the ability to match the offer. If we match, then we have Kirk at the contract agreed upon. If Kirk is actually set on not signing with the Redskins, then he could field all the offers he wants, get his market value, then opt to not sign any of the deals. He could intentionally not accept an offer because he doesn't want to give us the chance to match it. Kirk plays for the Redskins in 2018 and then is an outright Free Agent at the end of the season and there is absolutely nothing we can do about it.

Struggling to see how letting Cousins walk with ZERO compensation is an option at all, much less the best option. At some level, it doesn't matter if Kirk wants to be here or not. The only thing that matters is that the Skins get the most they can out of his departure. How is letting him walk better than transition tagging him where if we elect not to match the offer we get compensation?

See above. If Kirk is absolutely refusing to sign here, which all signs point to, then he can ride out either tag option for 2018, then we have zero compensation for him because we cannot apply another tag, and he's a free agent, free to sign elsewhere. If that is inevitably whats going to happen, then the prudent move would be to not pay him the $34mil and use that money to sign other pieces like Brown, Foster, Breeland, RB, SS, WR, whatever you want. If somehow there was a tag and trade option on the table, then sure, that would be the better bet, but that's a lot of moving parts for our front office to execute...

Of course Kirk has a lot of influence/control in what happens. But the Redskins are not without leverage. If Kirk really wants out, the Skins have the power/threat of making him stay in DC another year. They may not be likely to play that card, but the threat is there. Where I think fans have it wrong is that they view this as some emotional conflict where Cousins and the Redskins Front Office are enemies and at odds. The smart play here for Cousins and his agent is to work with the Redskins to achieve the best possible outcome for all parties.

I understand that, but the window is closing. I'm personally in the camp that Kirk wants out and there's nothing we can really do about it. Obviously an outrageous contract would be persuasive, but I also want whats best for the team. If I'm right, and the possibility for Kirk to sign an LTD is gone, then keeping him here and paying him $34 mil for 2018 is a poor option.

Last edited:
You're referring to the 'Non-Exclusive' franchise tag though ST. That's the only version that allows HIM to negotiate. If we use the 'Exclusive' franchise tag, only the team can negotiate a deal. I'm pretty sure that's correct.

And I would never advocate doing the Franchise tag unless we're absolutely certain a tag and trade deal happens as the end result. We're in agreement there.

Here's a Wikipedia entry on the 3 tag options:

An "exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position as of a date in April of the current year in which the tag will apply, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. Exclusive franchise players cannot negotiate with other teams. The player's team has all the negotiating rights to the exclusive player.

A "non-exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount no less than the average of the top five cap hits at the player's position for the previous five years applied to the current salary cap, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. A non-exclusive franchise player may negotiate with other NFL teams, but if the player signs an offer sheet from another team, the original team has a right to match the terms of that offer, or if it does not match the offer and thus loses the player, is entitled to receive two first-round draft picks as compensation.

Under the Capped years a team can designate one additional player only as a transitional tag. A transition player must be offered a minimum of the average of the top 10 salaries of the prior season at the player's position or 120 percent of the player's prior year's salary, whichever is greater. A transition player designation gives the club a first-refusal right to match within seven days an offer sheet given to the player by another club after his contract expires. If the club matches, it retains the player. If it does not match, it receives no compensation.

Two things from the above. First of all, if it's correct and the team signing a player under the 'Non-Exclusive' franchise tag has to give up 2 first rounders, that's a pretty steep price (on top of the $$ it will cost to do a LTD.

Secondly, according to this entry (and others I've seen) there is NO compensation with the Transition Tag if we decide not to match an offer. That's contradictory to what I've seen on Twitter and elsewhere.

There seems to be a lot of confusion in general about the tag rules.

Last edited:
You're referring to the 'Non-Exclusive' franchise tag though ST. That's the only version that allows HIM to negotiate. If we use the 'Exclusive' franchise tag, only the team can negotiate a deal. I'm pretty sure that's correct.

And I would never advocate doing the Franchise tag unless we're absolutely certain a tag and trade deal happens as the end result. We're in agreement there.

No I know we hold the cards for a trade if we apply the exclusive, but Kirk can ultimately trump it if he makes it clear that he's not going to sign an extension with whatever team that would be on the receiving end of it.

Kirk gets to negotiate the contract offers from other teams if we apply the Transition tag.

I typed the wrong word... I fixed it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.