• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

Watching Steelers/Jags:

A good running game and strong defense still gets you a long way in the so-called "passing" league.

Wish this team could get that through their thick head.

Throw in good coaching, and you got yourself 4 of the best coaches in the NFL in the championships. .

Doug Peterson, Bill Belichek, Mike Zimmer, and Sean Payton have shown they are the best coaches in this playoff season. If I were the Steelers front office, I would fire Mike Tomlin tomorrow, he has the most talented football team in the NFL and still loses to a younger, talented team.

Watching these coaches, I am convinced we need to move on from Gruden. Zimmer should have been hired over Gruden!

Yep, we have to pay Kirk Cousins $30M a year because we couldn't possibly advance to the postseason with a middling quarterback..................

Oh, wait. We have Blake Bortles, Case Keenum and Nick Foles in the NFL conference championship games! :laugh: :laugh:

And don't forget Marcus Mariota, Tyrod Taylor and Alex Smith in previous games - perennial pro bowlers all! :evil:

Last edited:
Well, that all sounds great. But you have to have a stud, shutdown defense to make that work. Trying to go that route with a bad defense will get you 4 wins a year. Just look at the Jags prior to this year to see what that looks like. They were building a defense, but they weren't great. Now they are great and you see where it got them.

The bottom line is talent and execution wins just about every time. The more talent you have all across the board, the better chance you have to win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We won't get that talent paying a QB $30m a year. Especially one incapable of making up for that lack of talent.

I don't think Gruden could recognize a run game if it fell on his face and started to wiggle.

This is Redskins canon

It's like he literally hates to call run plays

Last edited:
A guy watching Case Keenum throw the ball today that was over at my in-laws called him ‘Kirk Cousins Jr' 😂😂😂

Same inconsistency under pressure - some excellent throws but also some wounded ducks made off balance that were lucky not to be picked off.

These guys are also both 29 and set to be free agents 😳

I don't know, maybe this means nothing. Every winning team in all the playoff games ran for the same or more TDs than their opponents. In this weekends 3 close games, each team scored the same number of TD's. It's just that the winners ran for more of them. One wouldn't think it matters how you score but possibly teams that can run for TDs simply score more points just because they don't have to lean on their QB. During the year, 3 of those 4 teams were in the top 7 of rushing TDs. All 4 were in the top 5 of points per game. The Offense putting up points helps the D.

Good D always helps. All 4 were in the top 9 of fewest rushing TDs as well as in the top 5 of fewest points allowed. Supposedly a 'passing' league. 6 playoff teams were in the top 10 for passing. 5 are gone...

The Jags just allowed 42 pts in the divisional game. 42 pts. Let me say that again. 42 pts.

That wasn't so great. If the Jags had scored two touchdowns less, then we would be talking about how the defense let the team down yesterday.

Yes, their defense was good this season. However, the defense nearly let the team down yesterday. A similar performance next week equals a mauling in Massachusetts.

Didn't they announce right after the season, Gruden would return?

It was a bit of wishful thinking on my part. To me, Gruden is the worst coach we've had in a long time. but not in terms of X's and O's. At least with Zorn and Spurrier we knew they were in over their heads...Gruden does just enough to make some think he might have what it takes, but keeps us in perpetual mediocrity. He is the equivalent of Norv Turner, he can spark some excitement with his offensive scheme, enough to keep us somewhat competitive, but he lacks too many other variables that go into good coaching.

It was a bit of wishful thinking on my part. To me, Gruden is the worst coach we've had in a long time. but not in terms of X's and O's. At least with Zorn and Spurrier we knew they were in over their heads...Gruden does just enough to make some think he might have what it takes, but keeps us in perpetual mediocrity. He is the equivalent of Norv Turner, he can spark some excitement with his offensive scheme, enough to keep us somewhat competitive, but he lacks too many other variables that go into good coaching.

So if you were GM for a day, who do you like brother? I am on record as decrying Sean McVay's aptitude in another forum last season, but he has done an incredible job with the Lambs. Do you see any OC's/DC's with the same potential, or should we look to the college ranks for our next HC?

I'd say this is Grueden's prove it year. Either he gets them to the playoffs or audios.

With that being said, who was our last defensive minded coach? Pettibone was it as far as my recollection goes. Need to try that route if Jay gets the boot imho.

Scour the constant top DC's and go with the best.

I'd say this is Grueden's prove it year. Either he gets them to the playoffs or audios.

With that being said, who was our last defensive minded coach? Pettibone was it as far as my recollection goes. Need to try that route if Jay gets the boot imho.

If he's stuck with Colt McCoy as his starting QB next year, then it's a guaranteed, stone cold lead pipe lock we miss the playoffs and Gruden's fired.

Schottenheimer?

(who we should have kept)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.