• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

I have to ask, did any of you honestly ... honestly think that we'd win yesterday? I think I put our chances of marching into Denver and beating a rebounding Broncos team that was favored by 14 points at about 5%. Was your percentage higher than that?

If it was, I have to say that's on you. The Broncos are a really really really good team. They were coming off a loss. At home. It was a miracle that we hung with them as long as we did.

The broncos were taken to task by a bad Dallas team and beaten by a colts team. They're not the dominate team people have claimed they were. Their defense is among worst in the league and Manning is not infallible.

It's not always about whether you win or lose, sometimes it's about how. If we had lost because our defense couldn't stop manning and our offense just couldn't keep pace - say we lost 52 to 40, or 45 to 38 - then I would have walked away without an issue; that sort of outcome was expected.

But halfway through the 3rd quarter our Defense not only held Manning and the broncos to 7 points - but they had provided us with 14 points. There was absolute NO reason we should have lost yesterday.

If someone had told you that the defense would hold the broncos to 7 points through 2 1/2 quarters and given us 14 points would you have accepted a loss as an end result?

It's absolutely inexcusable that our offense is this bad. Against a bottom of the league defense we had ONE drive that was good.

If any of you are ringing the bell to bench Bob, I hope you were ringing it on Saturday, and not because of the buzzsaw we walked into yesterday.
I've been questioning the wisdom in starting Griffin since week 1. I've been talking about how poorly he's been playing since week 1. I can't help it if it took others 5+ weeks to catch up. He's broken. There's something wrong with him. I don't know how to fix it, maybe letting him play is the best way, but anyone not seeing that there's something wrong with him by now just isn't paying attention.

If Bob hadn't shown us anything last year, and continued to not show us anything this year, I'd agree it might be time to look at Cousins (He of the two interceptions in a half a quarter of play). But half a season after spotty play it's time to bench Griffin? Really? This is why Dan Snyder can never put a winning team together. He is way too quick with the hook. Griffin was a ever-loving pro-bowler and rookie of the year last year. The guy has an extremely high ceiling. We've SEEN it. Just because he's struggling to recover from an injury that would have most players still on the sideline doesn't mean he suddenly sucks. It means he's struggling. If you bench him, trade him. Get him out of here. Burn it to the ground and start over. And hope that THIS time the guy you draft is perfect all the time.
Unlike some I don't think the answer is cousins. I think the answer is getting Griffin back to what he was. I'm not against the idea that the best way to get him back is to have him sit, get 100% and get some practice in.

But what the hell do I know, maybe letting him play is the best solution. It's costing us this season though.

Our defense has been pretty good this year. It's constantly put in awful situations because our offense goes 3 and out or turns the ball over. Offense is our #1 problem this year (special teams a close second.) I don't know how you fix it, but it starts with Griffin playing awful through the first 7 games.

there is a fundamental problem here reading defenses

That right there is the most troubling thing... He's not seeing the field. He's not finding the open guys.

He doesn't go through progressions. He locks onto guys. This was pointed out early last year. In the end it didn't matter because teams were so afraid of him running that WR's were open all over the place. This year they're covering those WR's and he's not only missing wide open guys, but he's forcing the ball into double and triple coverage...

I've heard some people suggest that the problem is mainly because he spent the entire offseason, OTA's, mini camp, and training camp rehabbing his knee and didn't get much needed practice time with the starters and the coaching staff. We've heard over and over, from Kyle, Rex, and Kirk, that year 2 is a very important year in this offense. Seems plausible that's the problem and that going into year 3 with a full offseason and training camp, being absolutely healthy, we see a great pocket passing QB in griffin.

The broncos were taken to task by a bad Dallas team and beaten by a colts team. They're not the dominate team people have claimed they were. Their defense is among worst in the league and Manning is not infallible.

It's not always about whether you win or lose, sometimes it's about how. If we had lost because our defense couldn't stop manning and our offense just couldn't keep pace - say we lost 52 to 40, or 45 to 38 - then I would have walked away without an issue; that sort of outcome was expected.

But halfway through the 3rd quarter our Defense not only held Manning and the broncos to 7 points - but they had provided us with 14 points. There was absolute NO reason we should have lost yesterday.

If someone had told you that the defense would hold the broncos to 7 points through 2 1/2 quarters and given us 14 points would you have accepted a loss as an end result?

It's absolutely inexcusable that our offense is this bad. Against a bottom of the league defense we had ONE drive that was good.

"It's not that we lost, it's HOW we lost" gets thrown around a lot on sports boards. It's like a battle-cry for inferior teams. :)

The Broncos were a better team. They've won five of their other seven games 49-27, 41-23, 37-21, 52-20 and 35-19. Somehow our 45-21 loss is some sort of special snowflake? Sorry, you play the game for 60 minutes. The team that does it better wins.

At 21-7 I still didn't think we were going to win. Even if the offense had managed another drive. Maybe it was just me though.

I've been questioning the wisdom in starting Griffin since week 1. I've been talking about how poorly he's been playing since week 1. I can't help it if it took others 5+ weeks to catch up. He's broken. There's something wrong with him. I don't know how to fix it, maybe letting him play is the best way, but anyone not seeing that there's something wrong with him by now just isn't paying attention.

Unlike some I don't think the answer is cousins. I think the answer is getting Griffin back to what he was. I'm not against the idea that the best way to get him back is to have him sit, get 100% and get some practice in.

But what the hell do I know, maybe letting him play is the best solution. It's costing us this season though.

If Cousins isn't the answer, then starting him would cost us the season too though. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Another truth for all losing teams. Especially when it comes to the QB.

Our defense has been pretty good this year. It's constantly put in awful situations because our offense goes 3 and out or turns the ball over. Offense is our #1 problem this year (special teams a close second.) I don't know how you fix it, but it starts with Griffin playing awful through the first 7 games.

Our defense has been ok at times. So has our offense.

The problem is that they are rarely ok at the same time. Oh, that and we can always count on special teams to crap the bed.

This will continue until Bob gets his **** together enough so that he can carry this team on his shoulders again. I don't think pulling him now, three weeks ago or three weeks from now will speed up that process any. Sorry.

In any case, carrying the team is a lot to ask of a second year player in my opinion. And we only expect it now because he did it last year, with practically unheard of success.

Last edited:
Gotta say that Garcon made one hell of a one handed grab at the sideline. :)

Yeah, I was annoyed that they didn't give us the first down, and it was not challenged or anything. Looked like to me he slid out at the marker.

to those of you that don't allow games like yesterday to make you absolutely miserable all week:
kudos to you. you're a better person than i.

to those of you that don't allow games like yesterday to make you absolutely miserable all week:
kudos to you. you're a better person than i.

I hope I don't appear to be that way cuz it ripped my guts out... I do try to rationalize a lot and maybe it's a level of homerism but I want to maintain the faith in the pieces in place because they do still rep the B & G. I try to see things objectively but it still stung... hard.

it takes me until like friday/saturday to get to rationalizing.

i'm still in the anger stage of grieving.

Griffin has a lot of work to do to get to where Andrew Luck is in his development as an NFL passer.

That said, the Redskins have a poor offensive line and a defensive line that doesn't scare anyone. The only players who stand out on the OL and the front seven to me are Trent Williams and Ryan Kerrigan. The rest of these guys are 'MEH' type players.

If you can't protect and you can't consistently put pressure on the opposing qb you aren't going to win many games.

Manning had two sprained ankles yesterday and the Redskins were only able to sack him in the backfield once. The 2 yard drop behind the line on the rollout by Rob Jackson 'counts' as a sack officially, but when you have a guy getting outside the tackle box you really aren't talking about beating one on one matchups up front necessarily.

So, one sack. A number of hurries. Meanwhile, Griffin was hit on more than 50% of his drop backs. Lichtensteiger and Montgomery together couldn't block the Broncos DT, whose name I can't remember for the life of me (that's how well known he is).

Meanwhile, Robert Mathis for the Colts beat the Denver tackles like rented mules a week earlier.

Mark Brunell is a testament to patience and perseverance. He was in the NFL for 17 years before he finally was able to win a Super Bowl ring riding the bench for the New Orleans Saints in 2009, four years after he was shown the door in Washington.

Maybe Jason Campbell will someday be able to say the same thing. He is 31 and still has time to get it done. His performance yesterday should keep him in the NFL for at least another contract or two.

294 yards and 2 touchdowns against the Chiefs.

Not bad.

Emmanual Benton ‏@Manny_PPI
Cooley said on 980 that Jordan Reed was so worked up about his pass drop that he caught 300 passes on his own this afternoon

I'm surprised that Fred Davis has been inactive, if for no other reason besides driving up his trade value.

I'm surprised that Fred Davis has been inactive, if for no other reason besides driving up his trade value.

He sucks. We aren't going to carry someone on the roster who can't contribute and is a knucklehead when he can't help us win games. He has no trade value.

Only one other team was interested in Davis as a free agent, Buffalo. And we can see what great decisions they have made :)

Davis is another failed Cerrato draft pick. All 3 of those #2 picks made in 2008 are now officially bums.

Devin Thomas never became a starting wide receiver and only stayed in the league for 2.5 seasons as a special teamer.

Malcolm Kelly was never able to get healthy - which should not be surprising considering he was given a draft reject grade from 50% of the NFL GMs making picks in 2008.

Cerrato ignored all that.

If he's really THAT bad, then of course.

If he's okay, and there's potential for him to score a TD, and net us a sixth or seventh rounder, then I would have played him.

Maybe he is just awful.

It's a good group of people in here. No one is happy with the performance of this team and they are four or five plays away from being 0-7. The only advice yours truly can offer is to take some time this week to enjoy other things whether it is a hobby, a project at home, or some extra time with friends and/or family.

Love you all. Hail.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 4, Members: 0, Guests: 4)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.