• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

Hardly matter brother - the point stands

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, as has been stated by Boone, and others, the coaching carousel has been as big, or bigger a factor in player acquisition/turnover than anything. Even the now almost mythical Bobby Beathard wouldn't be able to draft players for systems/coaches that change every other year. (I know, he wouldn't be firing coaches every other year) It's gotten better since the last 3 regimes have had 4 years each. No, that's not ideal, but it's an improvement.

I'm on record advocating Gruden be fired. For a host of reasons. But, he won't be. And the simple fact that he'll get a fifth season, is more beneficial for the franchise, in the long run, than his below average ability as a head coach. He's good enough to stumble into winning. But he'll never lead the charge. He's a guy that will need every bounce to go his way in order to succeed. As much as he's begged for #8 to improve on non-scheduled plays, Gruden totally sucks at it. There is no leading by example from him.

Anyway, the FO isn't great, and they aren't as bad as some believe. But, they're any easy target. And most people prefer shooting at easy targets.

Anyway, the FO isn't great, and they aren't as bad as some believe. But, they're any easy target. And most people prefer shooting at easy targets.

Interesting that you don't judge this Front Office on the same standard that you judge Gruden.

Why the sliding scale on performance Ax?

Confirmed the Redskins will have the 13th pick in the 2018 draft, courtesy of tie-breaker and 2 losses to Dallas.

Interesting that you don't judge this Front Office on the same standard that you judge Gruden.

Why the sliding scale on performance Ax?

Not sure what you mean, exactly. But, there is no sliding scale. The positions are different.

There isn't a front office in existence that gets it right, all the time. None. Not ever.
Some look like genius' for a while, and then get fired a few years later after looking like they don't know their ass from a whole in the ground.
Some stumble into drafting one of the GOAT QB's in the 6th round of a draft, and his performance makes every other move they make seem to work. But it's as much luck as anything.

Yes, the FO has had more than it's fair share of ****ups during my lifetime. Remember when it started?

That's right, when the owner fired his new head coach after just one season. Friggin Snyder.

But wait. It wasn't Snyder.

It was Jack...Kent...Cooke. That's right. The beloved snobby racist that started the curse this franchise has seemed to be under ever since he fired a Redskins legendary DC, after 1 season as head coach, so he could hire a Dallas ****in' Cowboy. Norval Turner. Tell me that isn't the same as Snyder firing Shotty to hire Spurrier. We've been in varying degrees of disarray since then.

Snyder's early meddling has given him a rep that will last until he wins, dies, or sells the team. Whichever comes first. He's been making better decisions, and staying out of the way for a while now. But unless we win, the reputation will continue to rule the day. He's not going anywhere. He seems to like Bruce Allen. So, he's not going anywhere. The front office has improved over the days of Snyderatto, by leaps and bounds. They haven't had the benefit of winning, to cover their mistakes. But like any FO, they're a lucky selection of a HOF player or 2 from being able to turn our frowns upside down. They need to hire a better PR firm. But their ability to pick players is as good as most FO's in the NFL. Continuity being the most important catalyst for that. Having a coaching staff that can get more out of players than even they know they have, will be the catalyst for regaining a winning tradition around here.

Jay Gruden is good enough to win some, provided he has a stacked roster. Then again, many head coaches could do that. He doesn't have the skill to make something out of nothing. Coaching requires more skill, than luck.

The current front office is skilled enough to get good players. To date, they haven't been lucky enough to get the game changers that transcend any coaching staff they play for.

So, to sum up this convoluted answer...
Good/great coaching can make up for the sins of a front office.
A good/great front office can not make up for poor coaching.
Keeping Gruden puts more pressure on the FO to get everything right. Which as I said at the beginning, none ever have.

Gruden continues to fail to get this team prepared mentally to come out and perform on a consistent basis.

Last year it was losses to the Panthers, Cardinals and Giants that cost a mostly healthy team the chance to go 10-6 or even 11-5.

This year you can ask yourself the question of why the Redskins were able to summon up enough energy and focus to come out and play competitive games with injuries against the Seahawks and Saints, but would then lay clunkers against Dallas at 38-14 and the Chargers at 30-13, and to play a completely forgettable game against the then 2-13 Giants where the offense only scores ONE touchdown in 4 quarters?

The injuries count to some degree of course earlier in the season after the team had beat the Rams and played close to the hot Chiefs team on MNF and appeared on an upswing.

But the poor performances against the Cowboys, Chargers and Giants - all losses - go in step with a very poor performance against the then winless San Francisco 49ers at home where the Redskins allowed Beathard, a guy who no NFL experience to come off the bench and almost win the game.

This was before the 49ers traded for Garroppolo and started to gain some late season traction. The Redskins should have closed the deal on these guys when Hoyer went out and a now #3 quarterback took the reigns.

But it is another example of how up and down the Redskins are under Gruden.

Since 2015 there have been some unexpected victories over solid clubs with good quarterbacks, but those games are usually bracketed by some rather poor efforts against struggling teams that had little to play for in those contests.

My question is, could another NFL coach get a more consistent performance out of this roster?

A more consistent, game to game focus and responsibility that to a degree transcends pure talent.

My guess is a more disciplined coach would have coaxed last year's team to a 10-5-1 record.

This year is harder to handicap based on the injuries, but this team really failed to show up against Dallas and the Chargers.

Even with the injuries, we gave them little to no fight at all.

Dunbar re-signed:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Redskins?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Redskins</a> got a new deal done with restricted free agent Quinton Dunbar. 3 years. <a href="https://t.co/Wbpk45l5dy">pic.twitter.com/Wbpk45l5dy</a></p>— JP Finlay (@JPFinlayNBCS) <a href="https://twitter.com/JPFinlayNBCS/status/947895809038831616?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 1, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I never really felt comfortable with Dunbar as a #2 corner.
He just looked awkward at the position, like he didn't have the natural, or learned, proper hip movement, to follow receivers.
Of course he's got a good excuse, being new at the position, I just question if he's ready for that role.

Last edited:
In other news: Kirk Cousins has removed all affiliations with the Redskins off his twitter profile.

Guess he's as good as gone.

I saw that all over Twitter but checked out his page from the last Wayback Machine entry and saw no changes?

Not saying it didn't happen. But man, if that's the case, what can we expect at Friday's self-called press conference from Cousins? He going to declare 'I will not be a part of the Redskins in the future at any cost!'.

I just can't imagine he's that guy. I think this is manufactured Twitter drama. Could be wrong I guess, but Cousins has always seemed like a class act to me and this would fly in the face of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Well, my wish is for the whole saga to end ASAP, no matter which direction it goes.

If they want to keep him, they should sign him in time to let him announce at his "press conference" that he just signed a LTD.
I say this knowing they will have to be knee deep in the "He ain't worth that much" numbers to get it done. But this needs to be over.

If he turns that offer down, we should announce that he did, and release him.
Cause this needs to be over.

The sooner it's over, the sooner we can move on to improving the team.

I had to laugh when I read the headline that Cousins sets Redskins record with 4,000 yard seasons...................and then the text goes on to show he threw for less than 200 yards and 3 interceptions in an ugly loss to NY.

Perfect example of where some stats taken out of context don't mean anything.

I had to laugh when I read the headline that Cousins sets Redskins record with 4,000 yard seasons...................and then the text goes on to show he threw for less than 200 yards and 3 interceptions in an ugly loss to NY.

A lot of similarities between this year's Week 17 game, and last year's.

Confirmed the Redskins will have the 13th pick in the 2018 draft, courtesy of tie-breaker and 2 losses to Dallas.

Boone, I read on NFL.com that we are equal 13th pick with the Packers. If they pick ahead of us in the first round, don't we swap for the second?

Also, pencil in Jon Gruden to return to Oakland as HC.

I think with the NFL tie-breakers in place, we get the 13th pick. Could be wrong, but that's what I've been reading today.

Well, the Packers won't be looking for a quarterback so that's not a move that would necessarily hurt Washington.

If tiebreakers don't resolve a tie, they flip a coin.

Raiders and 9ers will flip for the #9 spot.

The 49ers and Oakland were in a tie-break scenario re the draft, and San Fran won that coin toss, so San Fran has the first choice in rounds 1, 3, 5 & 7, where Oakland has first choice in the others. (First choice is between these two teams only.) If we are equal 13th, wouldn't we toss a coin (which we'll lose!) and pick AFTER the Pack in the first round, 3rd, 5th & 7th, whereas we'll pick before the Pack in rounds 2, 4 & 6?

NFL.com shows us with the 13th pick.

I don't know what to tell you guys beyond that :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.