• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

We don't know that Gettleman is going to do shit in NY ... Eli Manning is almost done, and then they are in full rebuild mode. Today's result aside, I think the G-Men live in the NFC East cellar for the forseeable future.

We, as Redskins fans, pointed fingers,laughed and mocked as Philly traded off their talent,hired and fired Chip Kelley and went into rebuild mode, only to watch them pass us in the standings and become contenders, while the Redskins, with an established coach and QB, still hover at .450 ball.

Gettleman built the Panthers into a contender, he will with the Giants too....especially since he has no interest in things like new stadiums or Harvest Fest. He just worries about on field product, something Bruce has no clue about.

Watch and see.

I will. And you're going to see how bad this Giants team can be when they don't have a franchise QB who's elevated them for more than a decade there.

I agree with you that our GM situation is bad. And that I'd have a whole lot more hope if we had a solid guy in place there. I'm just saying I wouldn't be so quick to assume the Giants are suddenly full of hope because of the Gettelman hire.

We've heard the same kind of stuff about Dallas, and how they were going to dominate... I just think the NFC East will continue to be a year-by-year division. I don't even buy the Philly hype right now.

I will. And you're going to see how bad this Giants team can be when they don't have a franchise QB who's elevated them for more than a decade is no longer there.

NYG has the second or third pick in a draft with good QB talent.

They'll draft a guy, have him sit behind Eli and they'll take off.

Meanwhile. Bruce will wind up letting Cousins go and we'll be stuck with a journeyman QB.

It's Bruce's pattern of behavior when it comes to Qbs and team management.

Look...I don't want it to be this way. I want us to be the team that gets talked about for great moves and lauded for the quick rebuild and turnaround into a contender.

That decision making talent is just not present in Ashburn.

And if you are honest with yourself, you know it too.

NYG has the second or third pick in a draft with good QB talent.

They'll draft a guy, have him sit behind Eli and they'll take off.

Meanwhile. Bruce will wind up letting Cousins go and we'll be stuck with a journeyman QB.

It's Bruce's pattern of behavior when it comes to Qbs and team management.

Look...I don't want it to be this way. I want us to be the team that gets talked about for great moves and lauded for the quick rebuild and turnaround into a contender.

That decision making talent is just not present in Ashburn.

And if you are honest with yourself, you know it too.

And as we all know, drafting a QB is an absolute crapshoot. Could they get it right? Sure. But who's the right guy? It's even betting that whoever they draft isn't going to be the next Eli Manning.

I'm going to let the 'if you're honest with yourself...' stuff go.

There's not a single person here who's kidding themselves. Jesus - I think we all know what the last 25 years has been like. We may differ on the causes, we may differ on the degree of negativity and hopelessness we embrace, but everyone here knows about the Redskins.

Nick Rose just drilled a DL in the face with a low kick. Maybe he's not a future HOFer afterall? :)

Ya have a point John, but Bruce hasn't shown much since before he joined the team as a personnel guy. At least Gettlemen has had a fair amount of success in the position. I'd be willing to take that chance.

I was responding to DPs assertion that hiring Gettleman equates to a Giants resurgence. I don't think that's a given.

I never said anything about whether he'd be a better option than Bruce Allen, or not.

Allen led-drafts in 2014 and 2017 were good ones.

He let the personnel guys in the front office crunch their numbers and make the selections for the most part IMO.

The problem with Bruce is he is unusually frugal in terms of negotiating player contracts.

While the Redskins were profligate before and negotiated against themselves for certain players in free agency, it seems the current organization is gun shy after the RGIII pick and the high profile FA busts to make signature moves at spots they can't seem to fill needs through other methods.

I recall in Tampa that quite a number of players that won for Gruden ended up leaving Tampa as free agents because Allen was not willing to acknowledge the market for these players.

By the end of his term there the Bucs were cooked. They were almost back to being the basket case team that they had been for much of their history up until the late 1990's.

I would have to think the Cousins negotiations or lack thereof is a case in point here.

I think we saw enough in 2015 to see that Cousins was not a flash in the pan, but rather a solid passer from the pocket who could get a bit better with more experience. Not a star, but a guy at 26 you could build with for 2-3-4 years while you acquired other key players to add to the roster.

There was certainly the opportunity to sign him that first offseason to a deal, perhaps one in the 3-5 year range.

Less risk, shorter term. Not a market-maker deal and one that Cousins was probably not even looking for.

But franchising him took the bar for a deal from perhaps the $14-$15M range over $20M and then onto $24M in Year 2 of the tag.

You only franchise a player you KNOW you want to keep and really think is a top 5 player for you so you can earnestly work on a long-term deal that reduces the up front cap hit.

The other strategy in franchising a player is to get that extra year of service out of a key veteran if you think you have a legit chance to contend and are willing to walk away the next offseason.

While it wasn't a franchise tag, New England did a similar thing with Darrelle Revis. They paid him the value of the $12M tag (at the time) on a 1 year deal to try and get a ring with the Patriots. Both sides were going to walk away after that season.

If the Redskins were not going to build with Kirk, they should have traded his rights before the draft last season and moved on.

While the argument can be made that at 7-9 we are now going to get a pick in the top half of the draft and can select a qb to replace Cousins.

But that opportunity in all likelihood would have been there anyway with Colt McCoy or a rookie from 2017 starting games this season.

And the Redskins would have had the additional draft pick(s) to work with.

Now?

Will there be any compensation?

Stay tuned.

I was responding to DPs assertion that hiring Gettleman equates to a Giants resurgence. I don't think that's a given.

I never said anything about whether he'd be a better option than Bruce Allen, or not.

We're on the same page. No guarantees in hiring anybody, be it front office, coaches or players. I don't think the Giants will be as bad as some think. Just like the Skins, injuries really hurt both teams, and McAdoo is gone. Both teams have a good chance to rebound nicely next season.

I agree that nothing is guaranteed BUT....

I'll bet on the proven NFL personnel guy, that actually built a SuperBowl contender over the guy who still rides off his Daddy's name.

Gettleman from what I have read has the same issues that Bruce Allen does - he's very frugal and allows negotiations with certain players to become personal, ultimately hurting the franchise.

But he does know which players to bring in the door in the draft. There won't be any Eli Apple type 'projection' picks at #10 overall as you had with wheeler-dealer Jerry Reese.

He's not big on spending megabucks in free agency so the Vernon, Harrison type contracts won't be repeated.

Now with a rebuild on his hands those contracts for 29/30/31 year old players is going to be a throw-weight around the team's neck, at least for another year or two.

Don't expect to see Brandon Marshall back again. Gettleman believes if you are not a top tier player for the team, then he can go younger and cheaper in the supporting roles. Sitting as the #3 behind Beckham and Shepard, that's exactly where he is.

Definitely agree it's time for a change regarding the Bruce. Promote Eric Schaffer to GM, head personnel whatever and give Bruce a job in team/media relations of some sort, idk.

We need to hit this draft on 3 major points of emphasis.

1. QB- offer Kirk a fair deal but do NOT let him or his agent hold the team hostage. Anything above a fair contract will cripple us elsewhere. My guess is fair being just under the market value.

2. Offensive running game. We all know Jay sucks possum butt at calling a game with even a hint of ground attack. Scan the line and determine if a dozer G/C should be had in the 1st or 2nd. A beastly G and a strong RB in 2 of the first 4 rounds is imperative.

3. Defensive lineman. A true stud NT if we stick with this damn 3-4. If there is no true NT then bpa defensive tackle, or 2 need focus.

Cousins:

20 of 37 for 158 yards, 0 TDs, 3 INTs, AVG/Pass 4.3, Rating 31.1

Wow, down there in Robert Griffin III territory :bigcry:

From a different perspective, honestly speaking, how does this 7-9 record compare with what record you predicted the Redskins would have, when the thread was started before the season, asking your prediction ?
I remember predictions as low as 3-13, up to 9-7.
So we're only a couple games off of the best prediction, though some crazy guy might have gone up to 10-6 :)

@Elephant and @ntotoro both called it at 7-9. Very few predicted better than 9 wins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[QUOTE]6-10. I think they'll find (stumble?) a way to 2 division wins, get a couple they should and steal 1 or 2 along the way.[/QUOTE] 1 under on the win column, 1 over on the division wins

I'd say the FO hasn't had a real clear guy that's the boss. From '78 to '99; two GM's. Granted, Casserly had to go, he really beat the team he inherited from Beathard into the ground. But since 2000 several guys in and out and some that maybe didn't have quite the control they thought they had. Some probably shouldn't have had as much control as they did. Link below to look over what their executives have been since 2000, it's kind of convoluted. This isn't a team that likes stability. No coach since Norv has lasted more than 4 years. No QB has lasted more than 4 years since Ryp and Cousins the only one to make it to 4.

link: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/was/executives.htm

I don't know how many teams are successful with this kind of turmoil but I'm guessing not many. In the last 25 years; 0-6 in playoff games; best record has been 10-6 (did it 3 times); most total wins by a coach in back-to-back seasons, 17, done that 3 times (Gruden 2015/16 & Norv did it twice); 1st or 2nd in the division, 6 times. So it's like every 4 years on average that they put together a team good enough to lose in the 1st round of the playoffs. Maybe get a personnel guy that you can let do those GM functions and leave him alone for a few years. Possibly you don't get to .500 any more, it's a risk you take, but .500 doesn't get you to the playoffs anyway.

We've advanced to divisional playoff twice (meaning we won playoff games) since Gibbs I.

We've advanced to divisional playoff twice (meaning we won playoff games) since Gibbs I.

Thanx, I stand corrected.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 5, Members: 0, Guests: 5)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.