• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

I'm not sold on the Matt Jones sucked thought. He was never afforded the chance to overcome fumbling like many of this years offensive players did.

I'm not sold on the Matt Jones sucked thought. He was never afforded the chance to overcome fumbling like many of this years offensive players did.

He's rushed for a total of 14 yards this season.

He was already cut once by Indy, resigned this month, and is the third RB in their rotation this weekend.

Gruden is a strange cat. Crowder can fumble 1000 kick returns and still start, but Jones performs similarly and is immediately in the doghouse. Maybe there is a 'work ethic' or attitudinal aspect we're not aware of - but I can't ignore the inconsistency. I've had the same thought Chris.

He was already cut once by Indy, resigned this month, and is the third RB in their rotation this weekend.

That's not a valid argument and you know it. There are a lot of things that have to be in place for most RBs to be successful. Familiarity with an offense, solid passing threat, good OL, just to name a few. Not really fair to look at any RB who's cut and point to his immediate performance wherever he lands as some 'aha' validation, anymore than pointing to players who are released who suddenly thrive as evidence that the team made some huge mistake.

I don't dislike Matt Jones. I think he has the perfect build to be a real bruiser in this league. I do wonder how dedicated he is though, and if football is his biggest priority. This isn't what you want to see in Wiki:

Jones was claimed off waivers by the Indianapolis Colts on September 3, 2017, but released less than a week later.[22] He was waived on September 9, 2017 and was re-signed to the practice squad.[23][24] He was promoted to the active roster on September 22, 2017.[25] He was waived by the Colts on December 2, 2017, but re-signed two days later.[26][27]

He's already been waived twice this season by the Colts.

I'd really like to see the guy make it. I'm cheering for him.

Haslett wasn't his hire.
No, but he lacked the sack to fire him when he was hired, and again after his 1st season.

Fewell is now the DB coach of Jacksonville--one of the best units in the league. It's hard to know if his great success there is solely due to roster talent or not.
HaHa! I know even you don't believe he was worth a damn here. You just gotta turn everything into Gruden being some supernatural football Phenom. That's cool.

Kotwica took one of the worst ST units in the history of the entire NFL and turned it to mediocre. A significant improvement from what we had. I'd like to see a new ST coach for the future, but he brought us a long way.
The ONLY things that keep us from still being one of the worst ST's in the league history has been the efficiency of our kickers. Our coverage teams are below average, and our return teams are non existent. I'm sure Gruden taught both guys how to kick though. Cause, well, he's a God.

If he leaves, we look dysfunctional and are back to square 1 in trying to convince another HC that "next time will be different."
It was different this time. He's had 4 years, and all we have is Norv 2.0. Although, unlike Jay, Norv never quit during a game, admitted it, and tried to somehow justify it.
He could walk in and resign next week and have 8 teams calling his cell phone as fast as we called Josh Norman. Gruden and Matt Stafford? Gruden and Andrew Luck? He has his pick of destinations.
Just like his namesake. Norv got plenty of offers too. How'd that work out. But I do agree, with a bonafide franchise QB, he might do better.
He needs to be the GM. Turn over all football decisions and operations to him. Bruce and Doug can be the buffers and go bowling with Dan.
As someone else said, he needs to learn how to be a head coach first. I have no faith in him anymore.
Sure, he could stumble into Championship with the right players.
Hell, even Barry Switzer did that.
But after 4 years, he is what his record says he is.

28-34-1= Loser

Gruden's single biggest mistake as head coach has been his decisions on the DEFENSIVE side of the ball in re coaches.

When he came in he was presented with Jim Haslett and should have said NO before he took the job. Haslett already proved he was a mediocre coordinator.

But then he followed it up with hiring Joe Barry when given a chance despite the fact there were proven defensive coordinators who were willing to be interviewed and take the job.

Manusky has been the best of the lot so far. The defensive talent has improved as well, so that I can see with some additional talent via the draft, some luck with injuries and resigning Zach Brown the 2018 Redskins defense might be a strength on this team.

But again, it has taken a good long time for the team to improve after the 'one step forward, one step back' kind of development we have seen.

In my mind you bring back Gruden in 2018 and see what the team can do with a more talented defense (with injured starters back) and with some improvements at WR and RB on offense.

Gruden needs to stop messing around at running back and go out and find an every down back, whether in FA or the draft.

We also need to admit we are looking at an offense that lacks a #1 receiver and unless we are going to take a #1 pick again to select a WR, we probably need to go free agent here as well.

Crowder has been more productive the past 3 weeks and he insists his early lack of production was due to the groin and hamstring injuries he was playing through.

OK, I buy that.

I also buy that Josh Doctson is going to improve.

But what I don't see is either player becoming the 'Larry Fitzgerald' type of cornerstone #1 wide receiver we need going forward.

Doctson and Crowder to me are #2 and #3 wideouts.

There may be more to the story that none of know no...but he's behind Frank Gore and their own current 4th round draft pick. Yeah, he was moved around like a chess piece but he's still there.

Some drive by responses.

Screw Breeland - he's inconsistent as hell and a head case to boot. Re-sign Josh Norman. We cannot afford to lose both and Norman is the far superior corner and not a team cancer.
Breeland had as good a year as Norman, for a fraction of the cost. Norman is another guy not worth his paycheck. Oh he's alright. He gets away with more crap than most CB's in the league, and that helps him quite a bit. I'd like to ADD to the secondary we have.

Doctson needs to step the hell up next year. He doesn't contest passes, isn't physical enough, runs sloppy routes, and often fails to make moderately difficult catches. Yeah, he's capable of spectacular plays - but that's the whole point. If you can make those, he ought to be able to pull in a lot more than he has to date. Need to see some major progress.
Mostly agree. He's also been open and not seen, a lot. That 1st bomb against the Broncos was a walk in TD. But #8 underthrew it so badly that Doctson had to almost come to a complete stop just to prevent the interception. Yeah, he dropped the next one. Then caught the last one. I think he'll be fine. A better running attack, if Gruden can ever figure out how to develop one, and better QB play is all that's needed.

The same beat up line that is protecting Kirk is trying to open up running holes too.
I think the biggest problem with our running game has to be the scheme/design Gruden has failed to come up with. I'll never believe the guys we have are that piss poor at blocking. Of course, Cooley says the lack of blocking by our TE's are the biggest hindrance to our running game. Whether it's either one, or both, the failure lies at Gruden's feet, IMHO.

And Ax, you're a hard case man...
Yes sir, I am. But I'm fair, and honest.

And I've got the cutest little dimples you've ever seen.

If Fitzpatrick is the standard then we are screwed. Lol And so are about 28 other teams.

Breeland had as good a year as Norman, for a fraction of the cost. Norman is another guy not worth his paycheck.

No NFL player is 'worth their paycheck'. We know. We get it. Norman was the 3rd leading tackler on this team in 2017. And 'fraction of the cost'? Newsflash - Breeland will likely demand more money to sign than will Norman - because he's a knucklehead of epic proportions.

But #8 underthrew it so badly that Doctson had to almost come to a complete stop just to prevent the interception. Yeah, he dropped the next one. Then caught the last one. I think he'll be fine.

Agreed on the overthrow - while keeping in mind Doctson would probably have dropped it even if it had been on the money. He dropped several that could've been big plays or TDs just in the Denver game. He *may* be fine, but I agree with Bulldog - even if he is there's no evidence he'll turn into a true #1 WR any more than Crowder will.

Yes sir, I am. But I'm fair, and honest.
And I've got the cutest little dimples you've ever seen.

Well you'd have to actually show your face in public for us to assess that :)

PS - the Haslett criticism is silly. When the owner is already paying a head coach not to head coach, and likely prefers not to have to pay his DC not to coach his final year - well, a rookie head coach says 'okay Boss'. It's not that complicated. The idea that Gruden thought Haslett was 'the bomb' - sorry - I don't buy it.

Kenny Hilliard back to PS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Encouraging Cousins stat. showing even more improvement, despite having less talent, and more injuries, than last year.
With one more game to go, he still has a better TD-INT ratio than last year - on both sides of that stat :

2016 : 25-12
2017 : 27-10

Defensively, Manusky has shown much improvement in pass defense :
Passing yards allowed :

2016 : 4130
2017 : 3299

And defensively, they allowed on Net Yards per Pass Attempt :

2016 : 6.6
2017 : 6.1

Cousins is the toughest decision this team has had to make in a long time.

If David Carr is paid $25 million a season, and Stafford is paid $28 million, what is a fair contract for Cousins? Somewhere in the same ballpark?

The "just build a great defense and win the SB" mantra sounds very attractive, but when was the last time that a crappy QB really won the SB?

No NFL player is 'worth their paycheck'. We know. We get it. Norman was the 3rd leading tackler on this team in 2017. And 'fraction of the cost'? Newsflash - Breeland will likely demand more money to sign than will Norman - because he's a knucklehead of epic proportions.
Some are not "worth" more so, than others. And if Breeland does costs as much, or more, to keep than Norman does, then he's free to go.

Well you'd have to actually show your face in public for us to assess that :)
Okay, I lied. I don't have dimples. It's pimples. The cutest pimples you've ever seen.

PS - the Haslett criticism is silly. When the owner is already paying a head coach not to head coach, and likely prefers not to have to pay his DC not to coach his final year - well, a rookie head coach says 'okay Boss'. It's not that complicated. The idea that Gruden thought Haslett was 'the bomb' - sorry - I don't buy it.
Well, sorry, but unlike most 1st time head coaches, Gruden had a brother with on the job experience to seek advice from. Control of your coaching staff should be a requirement. If he wussed out on that, it's on him. Of course it wouldn't surprise me that he wussed out on something.

So my brother, a former Redskins fan (boo!) and now Panther's fan (boo!) ran into someone he thought I might appreciate in Charlotte.

Shout out from Charlotte

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.