• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

It really is silly that the entire 53 man roster is not available on game days considering the attrition rate that the entire league suffers from.

Being rather cynical, I'd say a lot has to do with gambling. If a marquee player may or may not start/play that greatly affects the line. So knowing ahead of time who will play and who won't can be valuable information especially in a close match-up or the over/under in any game. It has a lot to do with how many watch or follow a game and the fewer that watch means your commercial time ain't worth as much money.

Why is there an injury report in the NFL to start with? So an opposing team knows who to prepare for? That's ridiculous - teams prepare for the other team; if the other guys have a player out they don't radically change their game plan, they're gonna do what they do.

Anyway, just thinking outside the box of those of us that are fans of the game.

Being rather cynical, I'd say a lot has to do with gambling. If a marquee player may or may not start/play that greatly affects the line. So knowing ahead of time who will play and who won't can be valuable information especially in a close match-up or the over/under in any game. It has a lot to do with how many watch or follow a game and the fewer that watch means your commercial time ain't worth as much money.

Inactive lists are just one hour before the game. Is the majority of bets really placed less than an hour beforehand ?
I'd expect bets to have some cutoff time more than an hour before, but then again, I don't know much about gambling.

You can get a bet in right up until the ball is kicked to start the game. You can also place bets on the second half.

I can only imagine how much lower the tv viewership would be without gambling and fantasy. If cigarettes are considered a nicotine delivery system then sports are a gambling delivery system.

Last edited:
So here we are, the last week of the 2017 season, one mired in injuries, disappointment and just overall melancholy imo. Even in seasons were we had worse records I think I was slightly more enthusiastic than this. Then again, maybe I'm just mentally prepping myself for what I think will be a clusterf*** of an offseason.

It'll be what it'll be.

I don't expect Gruden to be fired, but I wish he would be. It's not the end of the world if he stays.
I don't expect #8 to sign a LTD with us. And, I don't really care either way. I just want the whole saga to end ASAP. Life will go on however it works out.
I hope to re-sign Zach Brown to a LTD.
I hope we can afford to keep Breeland.
I hope we fire the current ST coach Sunday night.

I hope.

Credit where credit is due:

Letting Chris Baker go was a good decision by the Front Office. Dude is causing alot of friction in the Bucs lockerroom.

Djax has not exactly set the league on fire down in Tampa and now, there's an investigation going on after they found his car wrecked with weed and bullets inside the car. More drama for the Bucs.

https://sports.yahoo.com/buccaneers-chris-baker-incited-locker-074753295.html

https://deadspin.com/report-car-registered-to-desean-jackson-found-wrecked-1821612092

The Redskins have been making better personnel decisions the past couple of years (outside of the Cousins fiasco), but overall we still need to move forward FASTER to get from the 4-12 caliber club we had in 2013 to the 9-7/8-8 type club we are now to a true contender.

Some moves still have me scratching my head.

For example, I was just running down the Rams' roster and saw John Sullivan started the season at center for Sean McVay.

We had him here last year, he had 7-8 years of solid starting experience in Minnesota, and played well when Long was out.

But when the season was over we showed absolutely no interest in resigning him.

Instead, we went back to the Long/Lauvao duo inside.

I still don't get the Redskins and Gruden's fascination with Lauvao, he must have photos of someone in management doing something perverse.

But going back to the players inside, why not resign Sullivan as your veteran starter at center and move Long to LG and release Lauvao?

That would have saved the team a good portion of Lauvao's $5M salary for 2017.

You can also look at what we have at running back, which outside of third down back Thompson, is waiver wire and UDFA quality players.

The Eagles were able to get Jay Ajayi mid-season from the Dolphins for a modest #4 draft pick.

The Redskins could have used Ajayi perhaps MORE than the Eagles and again the price was reasonable. His presence here might have helped us win another game or two (we are near the bottom of the league with a 3.6 ypc average currently and starting former PS rushers) and would have given us a starter for 2018.

In the draft we have taken the Scherffs and Allens, who are part of the core going forward at the top, but we have also seemingly missed on high picks such as Doctson, Cravens and Ryan Anderson.

Docston, Cravens and Anderson together have contributed very little to this team for #1 , #2 and #2 picks.

If we had 3 players drafted that high that were contributing in a visible way this team would be considerably better, injuries or no injuries.

But at best Doctson looks like a #2 receiver if he can develop consistent hands, while Anderson was nearly invisible in 2017. He seems miscast as an OLB in the 3-4.

As we know, Cravens didn't contribute at all in 2017, walking away from the team during the preseason. When it was brought up that he had walked away from his USC team in college as well during his stay there, the question became why take this guy so high when he has question marks about commitment to the game and transitioning to a new position in the NFL?

To me a #2 pick should be a player you project to be an early starter for your team, a guy that is going to come in and make a solid contribution as he continues to learn and get better.

The best teams hit on picks in this area of the draft, where you potentially get a blue chip prospect who falls from the first round and have him for 3-4 years on a cheap contract.

Josh Doctson,as is with most young receivers, get written off as busts way too early by fans.

Davante Adams: Year 3
Adam Thielan: Year 3
Demaryius Thomas: Year 3
Jordy Nelson: Year 4
Michael Crabtree: Year 4
Golden Tate: Year 4
Marvin Jones: Year 4/5
Emmanuel Sanders: Year 5
Julian Edelman: year 5

BTW: Art Monk broke out in year 5 too.

So maybe what is called for in Doctson's case is a measure of patience?

Outside of the Cravens situation, calling a first year player a bust is short-sighted, at best.

Nice post Bulldog. Although I don't see any concern with Doctson. People said the same about Trent Murphy, Ionaddis....etc. If this coaching staff can elevate a Ryan Grant, they can certainly expect big things out of Doctson going forward.

The fix for 2018 and forward is pretty simple, yet won't happen. Promote Gruden to GM and HC. He's already worn both hats at the same time in the Arena League with great success. He can do the same here. And have Bruce focus on a new stadium and tailgate parties.

Gruden's talent evaluation with players like RG3 and Matt Jones has already proven that he's the smartest football guy in the building--and likely on the same level as McLovin without the drinking problem.

Who is the best talent evaluator between Gruden, Doug Williams, Bruce and Dan? Everyone knows the answer. So just make the switch.

Yeah, he did great with the Haslett, Barry, Fewell, and Kotwica evaluations too, huh?

No wait, I remember now. He only gets all the credit for good moves. Somebody else is responsible for any bad ones.

Somewhere between your worship, and my disdain, lies an average Joe.

And the only head coach I ever remember admitting he quit before a game was over.

Uh, not to thread jack here, but I just read on SBNation that Tress Way invented a card game called "Who Farted?" LMAO. Has anyone else heard of this? I bet that one goes over great on team plane flights lol...Cheers.

Yeah, he did great with the Haslett, Barry, Fewell, and Kotwica evaluations too, huh?

No wait, I remember now. He only gets all the credit for good moves. Somebody else is responsible for any bad ones.

Somewhere between your worship, and my disdain, lies an average Joe.

And the only head coach I ever remember admitting he quit before a game was over.

Haslett wasn't his hire. Fewell is now the DB coach of Jacksonville--one of the best units in the league. It's hard to know if his great success there is solely due to roster talent or not.

Kotwica took one of the worst ST units in the history of the entire NFL and turned it to mediocre. A significant improvement from what we had. I'd like to see a new ST coach for the future, but he brought us a long way.

Barry is the only clear coaching blunder so far.

When viewed as a whole.....one Barry vs Callahan and the rest? That's pretty impressive.

Gruden has all of the leverage within this organization. He can determine right now if we continue improving, or if we go back to becoming a laughing stock of the league. If he leaves, we look dysfunctional and are back to square 1 in trying to convince another HC that "next time will be different."

He could walk in and resign next week and have 8 teams calling his cell phone as fast as we called Josh Norman. Gruden and Matt Stafford? Gruden and Andrew Luck? He has his pick of destinations.

He needs to be the GM. Turn over all football decisions and operations to him. Bruce and Doug can be the buffers and go bowling with Dan.

Some drive by responses.

Screw Breeland - he's inconsistent as hell and a head case to boot. Re-sign Josh Norman. We cannot afford to lose both and Norman is the far superior corner and not a team cancer.

Doctson needs to step the hell up next year. He doesn't contest passes, isn't physical enough, runs sloppy routes, and often fails to make moderately difficult catches. Yeah, he's capable of spectacular plays - but that's the whole point. If you can make those, he ought to be able to pull in a lot more than he has to date. Need to see some major progress.

I think my friends are too hard on our RBs. I heard all this gaga-ing over Bibbs last week, but I actually thought it was Perine (playing with a strained groin) who showed some guts and grit. He ran through defenders and fought for tough yards all day, and is showing he can catch out of the backfield pretty well too. The same beat up line that is protecting Kirk is trying to open up running holes too. He's had a pretty decent year and I expect more next year. I also think Fat Rob is a pretty good RB. We didn't see it this year due to him playing injured until placed on IR - but he's a good RB.

And Ax, you're a hard case man...

Last edited:
Gruden doesn't need more responsibility. He needs to work on his head coaching and master that before he gets more responsibility. He has to learn end of game situations, clock management, etc. I also think having someone else call the plays will help him with those things. I never like coaches with GM responsibilities as they can't always separate the two.

I agree with Boone on Breeland. He has his head so far up his own tail, he doesn't even realize he can't cover the number 2 receiver much less the number 1.

As for the other comments, the only bust the past couple years is Cravens. It's too early to tell on Doctson and Anderson especially. But you continue to draft talent and eventually the best players win out and you have a great team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that Perine is as tough a two-yard back as there is in the league.

Gruden doesn't need more responsibility. He needs to work on his head coaching and master that before he gets more responsibility. He has to learn end of game situations, clock management, etc. I also think having someone else call the plays will help him with those things. I never like coaches with GM responsibilities as they can't always separate the two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andy Reid is perhaps the worst coach in the entire league with clock management, two minute drills, etc. And maybe that's what has kept him from winning a SB. But he's very valuable in other areas.

If we can find a real GM to come in and make decisions on:

Do we sign Cousins to a long term deal?
Our ILB just went down in week 7. Who is the best ILB we can sign immediately?

then bring them in..........but Bruce clearly isn't that guy.

If not, I trust Gruden to make those decisions better than Dan, Bruce or Doug. In lieu of that outside person coming in, let Gruden make the call. He knows if Cousins is the real deal better than they do. I'd give him the final decision on all player personnel until we find someone better.

He knew RG3 sucked. He knew Matt Jones sucked when McLovin thought otherwise. He's earned it.

And on the CBs, Fuller was a fantastic pick and he gives us some leverage with Breeland. I'm not too worried there.

I think that Perine is as tough a two-yard back as there is in the league.

Tough crowd - although I admit I laughed :)

I'm suggesting Perine runs hard and the yards will come when the OL isn't the walking wounded. I think a Fat Rob/Perine/Thompson combo is pretty good - especially if Perine keeps growing as a pass-catching back. Watch that Denver game again. Perine had several longer rushes negated by penalties, and several where the DL was in the backfield before he ever had a chance. He also put the ball on the deck. I'm just arguing he's better than he gets credit for being.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 7, Members: 0, Guests: 7)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.