• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

Can we contribute something beyond 'spewing'?

Seriously - if you are a Redskins fan, you are hurting. No need to describe the shit sandwiches smell, texture, and taste - we all get it.

I think the real question now is whether the Redskins show patience and retain the current regime, or whether they blow the whole damn thing up again? The 2nd question is whether or not they *should* show patience and retain the current regime, or blow the whole damn thing up again :)

It's quite possible we end up with a different QB, different HC, perhaps even a different GM next year. It's equally possible none of those folks change.

I know not whether those things will change, nor whether those things should change.

If you press me, I'll say that constant coaching turnover has gotten this franchise nothing but systemic losing for 20+ years. That doesn't mean maintaining the status quo will result in success. But I'd prefer we suck it up, absorb a lost season, and put our noses to the grindstone again in 2018.

Can we contribute something beyond 'spewing'?

Seriously - if you are a Redskins fan, you are hurting. No need to describe the shit sandwiches smell, texture, and taste - we all get it.

I think the real question now is whether the Redskins show patience and retain the current regime, or whether they blow the whole damn thing up again? The 2nd question is whether or not they *should* show patience and retain the current regime, or blow the whole damn thing up again :)

It's quite possible we end up with a different QB, different HC, perhaps even a different GM next year. It's equally possible none of those folks change.

I know not whether those things will change, nor whether those things should change.

If you press me, I'll say that constant coaching turnover has gotten this franchise nothing but systemic losing for 20+ years. That doesn't mean maintaining the status quo will result in success. But I'd prefer we suck it up, absorb a lost season, and put our noses to the grindstone again in 2018.

I just want you to know, I am not intentionally trying to rub salt in the wound. I have simply lowered my expectations, and refuse to invest as much as I once did into this team. By doing so, I really believe I have a new point of view when I watch, then discuss this team...I see things a whole lot differently.

I want the Redskins to succeed more than any other team, but that doesn't mean I cannot see the product in front of me. We're simply not a good team. Injuries aside, we were still not a very good team going into the season. I take no pleasure in saying that, other than I can poke the antagonists out there. I just saw it differently.

Many put a lot of hope in Gruden's ability to coach this team. While he is capable of a masterful game plan, he is not so good at contingency plans, and in game management of the variables involved, i.e., time outs, game awareness.

People were lauding our RB's before the season when none of them were actually proven. Why? There was nothing to suggest we'd have a good run game, but people kept pushing Perine on us as if he was the next Alfred Morris.

They were talking about how great our OL was...and it is a good one. This is where the injury bug excuse gets some play.

I kept hearing about how we'd be fine without Jackson and Garcon, that a veteran WR was not needed...Pryor was going to save this unit.

I disagreed with all of it.

5 years ago, I created an "I told you so" thread out of pure hubris...this is not an "I told you so" post. This is me asking how what was so plain to see to me, was so easily brushed aside by the masses.

Buckle up folks, if you continue to invest as much as I once did, which I see many do, be prepared for the continued disappointment as long as Dan Snyder and Bruce Allen run this team. Since I have chosen to invest little, this time of year is much less of a disappointment to me.

Well Boone, I understand your point. Seriously I do.

But I think Jay admitted defeat in the post game presser.

When your head coach says things like this:

"I'm at a loss for words. I never thought we'd get beat like this two weeks in a row."

It doesn't give the fans much confidence that he has a finger on the pulse of the team.

Then again - isn't that *exactly* what we as fans would say?

We hear a lot of talk that Gruden is Norv II - but honestly, I find that response refreshing, because it's at least honest.

I would never have anticipated we'd come out for the 2nd week in a row on the road, and get our asses kicked. Since that's exactly the state of disbelief I'm in, I'm not sure I really view Gruden calling it like it is some major character flaw.

I think if this were Joe Gibbs, we'd have heard something very similar. 'We just got our butts kicked out there'.

Why is it that strange?

After falling out of any conceivable playoff position last week, the team has concluded the competitive portion of its season.

Don't expect much from here on out.

Perhaps if this was a veteran team used to wining and had a SB win in their past, the Redskins would tough it out to try and win the remaining games for team pride.

But there is no such history of success here. We were 8-7-1 last year and missed the postseason.

Not really much difference if you miss the postseason. 8-7-1 or 7-9 or 6-10.

It's a sign a team still has to get much better.

After last week's loss, I just think it was dumb not to shut Trent Williams down and have him get his surgery.

For a team that puts players on IR for hamstring pulls, it's baffling to see them toy with the career of their franchise LT, who has a floating knee cap.

Same goes with any other player who's struggling to even practice,who they think has a future here.

It just seems to me, that the football decisions being made are poor,nine times out of ten.

I just want you to know, I am not intentionally trying to rub salt in the wound. I have simply lowered my expectations, and refuse to invest as much as I once did into this team. By doing so, I really believe I have a new point of view when I watch, then discuss this team...I see things a whole lot differently.

I want the Redskins to succeed more than any other team, but that doesn't mean I cannot see the product in front of me. We're simply not a good team. Injuries aside, we were still not a very good team going into the season. I take no pleasure in saying that, other than I can poke the antagonists out there. I just saw it differently.

Many put a lot of hope in Gruden's ability to coach this team. While he is capable of a masterful game plan, he is not so good at contingency plans, and in game management of the variables involved, i.e., time outs, game awareness.

People were lauding our RB's before the season when none of them were actually proven. Why? There was nothing to suggest we'd have a good run game, but people kept pushing Perine on us as if he was the next Alfred Morris.

They were talking about how great our OL was...and it is a good one. This is where the injury bug excuse gets some play.

I kept hearing about how we'd be fine without Jackson and Garcon, that a veteran WR was not needed...Pryor was going to save this unit.

I disagreed with all of it.

5 years ago, I created an "I told you so" thread out of pure hubris...this is not an "I told you so" post. This is me asking how what was so plain to see to me, was so easily brushed aside by the masses.

Buckle up folks, if you continue to invest as much as I once did, which I see many do, be prepared for the continued disappointment as long as Dan Snyder and Bruce Allen run this team. Since I have chosen to invest little, this time of year is much less of a disappointment to me.

I don't know that you have some new super-objective insight because you've disinvested :) We all see 'the product'.

'Injuries aside...'. What does that mean? Literally, it means, ignore the fact that half your season starters are no longer on the field. Factor in playing what turns out to be one of the top 2 or 3 hardest schedules this year...

That's quite a bit to 'aside', isn't it?

I don't have much to argue with the rest of your points. The plan at WR has, decidedly, not worked out. Our RB's have not excelled. Our #1 RB Fat Rob - like him or not - went on IR midseason, and our OL stability has been non-existent.

Nearly every Redskins fan realized this season had a lot of question marks. Totally new defensive coaching staff, new WRs, McVay departing and Gruden calling plays - I don't think it took a genius to figure out there was a lot of instability that could come into play with this team in 2017. Things could've gone our way. With a super solid QB in Cousins, we could've returned as a playoff team. Things didn't go our way, and we now look at a 5-7 win season. Its not a jaw dropping shock.

After last week's loss, I just think it was dumb not to shut Trent Williams down and have him get his surgery.

For a team that puts players on IR for hamstring pulls, it's baffling to see them toy with the career of their franchise LT, who has a floating knee cap.

Same goes with any other player who's struggling to even practice,who they think has a future here.

It just seems to me, that the football decisions being made are poor,nine times out of ten.

Trent Williams decides if - and when - he has surgery brother. Little details matter.

Yep, same thing with Kirk Cousins.

A smart team would have either paid the man in 2015 based on those 9 games and the coaches' vouching for his ability OR they should have franchised him and then traded him in 2016.

Instead, the decision-makers were unable to make a decision and let this drama run on for almost 3 years. Unheard of in the NFL.

The Redskins may be through with offering free agents like Albert Haynesworth laughable contracts, so things have improved a bit.

BUT, the front office here is still agonizingly SLOW in making moves to improve this team and preempting some of these issues by dealing players when there is a market for them and moving on.

In other cases we have players like Shawn Lauvao, whom Cleveland didn't want back, that are a clear liability in pass protection and we pay him $5M a year for the past 2-3 years.

He should have been out of here after that first year. You can bet that Bellichick would have admitted the mistake and gotten rid of a guy like that as soon as was possible.

Look at how quickly he got rid of Haynesworth, Jamie Collins, and allowed others like Blount leave in free agency at age 30/31.

That's PROACTIVE. We are REACTIVE.

I'm not arguing there's 'nothing wrong with the franchise'. But when it comes to whether or not a player has surgery, I have no idea what you're saying... Firstly - we don't know the medical specifics with Trent's injury. Secondly, the team can't require a player to have surgery even if they think it's warranted.

I'm not arguing there's 'nothing wrong with the franchise'. But when it comes to whether or not a player has surgery, I have no idea what you're saying... Firstly - we don't know the medical specifics with Trent's injury. Secondly, the team can't require a player to have surgery even if they think it's warranted.
The guy can't practice and the staff has no idea until an hour before game time if he's available.

How in the hell,as a franchise, can you put your coaching staff in that kind of position?

A competent team sits him down and tells him something to the effect of:

You're an important part of this team and it's future. Your knee is compromised to the point you can't practice,much less play.We have to sit you down and you're going on IR.

It's not hard. It's called leadership.

And there is none to be found at Redskins Park.

He wants to play. He's a crucial part of a devastated OL. The team has not yet been eliminated from playoff possibility. Team doctors clear him (which is a requirement). So they let him go.

You really have a problem with that?

That kind of decision happens on every team in the NFL, every weekend of the NFL.

This team had nothing to play for today.

The players knew it. The Coaching staff knew it.

Both parties put up brave talk to go along with a brave face and the whole team came out flat.

So yes, I have a problem with the roster being mismanaged.

The team doctor is still Dr. Andrews right? The same doctor that sent RG3 back onto the field with his knee hanging by a thread,right?

So if Trent winds up permanently damaged......

Box score is telling me they played pretty bad. I've accepted it already but it still disappointing to see.

Lots of tough decisions ahead on roster spots as well as staff....all the way to the Bruce.

Last edited:
We need someone who can come into the Front Office and clean house and find a coach in the Parcells mode: a guy that won't take crap like "soft practices" lightly. Someone who'd light a fire under someone's ass.

Now some would say that Jay get's onto guys...but I don't buy that. You're talking about a guy who was getting purple nurples from his players.

Think that stuff goes on at a Belichick practice? Or at a Coughlin practice?

Need a guy with a hard edge to him......

Redskins are now 0-2 against the 'easy' back end of the schedule

To be fair, playing Dallas and the Chargers on the road is ‘easy'?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We need someone who can come into the Front Office and clean house and find a coach in the Parcells mode: a guy that won't take crap like "soft practices" lightly. Someone who'd light a fire under someone's ass.

Now some would say that Jay get's onto guys...but I don't buy that. You're talking about a guy who was getting purple nurples from his players.

Think that stuff goes on at a Belichick practice? Or at a Coughlin practice?

Need a guy with a hard edge to him......

You're seriously playing the ‘purple nurple' card now? Other than DJ Swearinger spouting off when things are at their toughest, have there been rumors this team practices soft or that there's a lack of effort or intensity?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 11, Members: 0, Guests: 11)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.