• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

That's exactly right Kel. And I'll take it one step further - Aaron Rodgers, Ben Roethlisberger, Drew Brees, Tom Brady, *insert supposed perfect QB name here*, all throw INTs, have passes tipped and intercepted, fumble and make other mistakes. Only Redskins fans seem to believe that only OUR QB has those kinds of negative plays occur.

I think with our guys, the problem is that we aren't good enough to have those things happen and still consistently overcome them. The margin of error for the Redskins is small. We might've been in the game last night with 1 or 2 of those errors. But 4, 5, or 6 of them? No way.

My thoughts summed up. :)

I feel like we judge Cousins as a finished article at QB, when he's really not. This is his 3rd true season holding the reins.
His first couple of years were spent sitting on the bench behind RGIII. Learning alongside a fellow rookie.

Compare to Rodgers. He's been in the League 13 years now. It took him 6 years to get to the Superbowl.
His first 3 years were spent sitting on the bench behind Brett Favre. Learning from one of the best in the game.

For better or worse Cousins is still learning. Maybe his rise isn't as meteoric as others, but he's constantly showing signs of growth. You may not like stats, but his are always in the top 5 to 10 of QB's. Maybe he can't elevate a team like Rodgers or Brady can, but then... not many QB's can.
And how many QB's have we seen start their careers strong and flame out. Prescott is not the same without Elliott. Kapernick went to a Superbowl and is now unemployable. WE know this better than most, we watched RGIII go from the most exciting player int he league to out of the league in just a few years.

Bearing that in mind I'd rather have a good solid competent QB who strives to take steps every year to move forwards. I think at this point we're pretty sure he's not going to be a flame out QB.

And it's not him dictating the money he's being paid... it's a confluence of circumstances that he's totally playing to his advantage. ANYONE would do exactly the same thing ESPECIALLY in a career where one bad tackle could paralyse you for life. I don't blame him, or hold it against him one iota. In the same position I'd do the same thing.
As a parallel think of what happened to former F1 Champion Michael Schumacher. He earned hundreds of millions in salary and then a skiing accident injured him so badly he'd burning through money at a huge rate on medical bills.

Football players take those risks everytime they step onto a field.

If we can surround him with a good solid healthy team, a team with a solid defense and a good running game, he'll produce. The Skins will win.

This is a team in a transition phase. Getting younger and more talented. Without injuries I do believe we'd have seen a massive step forward this year, I think we were already seeing it early on until the football Gods saw fit to bludgeon us with the injury hammer.

There's no guarantee's in football. Maybe next year the league figures Wentz out and the Eagles crash to earth. A couple of years ago Newton and the Panthers looked unstoppable. Things change.
Maybe next year the injury Gods smile on us and we can see the TRUE potential of this team and whatever we add in the off season.

I think that's why I love this sport, indeed sport in general. It's a sport of what ifs.

Sometimes they suck (What if the Saints come back from 15 points down with 6 mins to play) but sometimes they can be amazing (see beating Seattle at home!).

Couple of thoughts regarding other qb's in our division.

First couple of times I saw Dak play it occurred to me that he is not an accurate downfield passer. Figured that would be handled by 8 in the box so not that big of an issue. No doubt he brings other attributes to the table, scrambling etc. but didn't put true fear in my heart.

Friggin Wentz on the other hand has gone from a nice prospect to damn near unstoppable. All we needed was a Roethlisberger clone who is willing to work on his game. He puts real fear in my heart - one and three quarters years in the league and this is what we are seeing? Holy crap. So, I have two choices, pray for a season ending injury (never would do that) or sit back and watch this monster tear up the entire league for the next few years - while seeing him twice a year. SMH

Who should we root against?

The NFC? :)

Sadly - had the Redskins actually showed up against Dallas on Thursday, I'd still be motivated to watch and hope something totally improbable happens. By totally improbable, I mean that numerous other NFC playoff wannabes totally implode and the Redskins win out, paving the way for a miraculous playoff appearance.

But seeing their total non-effort and self-inflicted implosion, I don't think it matters what the rest of the NFC does the rest of the way. We don't appear capable of anything close to a season end run.

And actually, running the table, finishing 9-7, and missing the playoffs again would be SO Redskins.

Who should we root against?

The NFC? :)

Sadly - had the Redskins actually showed up against Dallas on Thursday, I'd still be motivated to watch and hope something totally improbable happens. By totally improbable, I mean that numerous other NFC playoff wannabes totally implode and the Redskins win out, paving the way for a miraculous playoff appearance.

But seeing their total non-effort and self-inflicted implosion, I don't think it matters what the rest of the NFC does the rest of the way. We don't appear capable of anything close to a season end run.

And actually, running the table, finishing 9-7, and missing the playoffs again would be SO Redskins.

With the 18th pick in the draft, the Washington Redskins...

The only teams that Washington can win a 9-7 tie against are Seattle, Rams & Panthers. Everyone else has to finish 8-8 for the Skins to beat them if they finish 9-7. If the Rams, Falcons & Panthers get 2 wins they beat Washington. If the Saints get 1 W they beat Washington.
Seattle, Dallas & Detroit need 3 while GB needs 4.
Lions schedule is pretty easy so hard to see them not getting to at least 9-7. Atlanta is 6-1 against the NFL & all 5 of their remaining games are against the NFL.
Me - I'm rooting for the Browns. Else the Chargers will still be in the hunt for first in their division next week.

I'm cheering for steaks on the grill, a huge lobster, grilled salmon, sauteed red potatoes, roasted asparagus, corn on the cob, a southwest salad, and ice cream. It's the holidays and the Redskins are done for 2017. I still intend to enjoy this holiday season somehow. Oh, and Virginia in the Military Bowl.

One other thing. I'd like to take a nice, hot two hour shower.

Santa, please bring me a new owner in 2018.

The Redskins are not going to beat the Chargers.

We tend to lose to teams with good quarterbacks (Brees, 2 times to Wentz, Alex Smith (Playing lights out at time), Keenum, etc.) no matter how many players we have on the injured list.

There haven't been any hotter than Philip Rivers in recent weeks. With this game on the road, I don't see a win given the fallout from the Cowboys' loss.

It's great that given a 150,000 to 1 shot, and the properly sequenced losses of 5-6 other teams the Redskins can still make a wildcard if they win out :laugh:

First, win out? Geez, this team has had a hard time winning TWO games in a row.

Both the 49ers and Giants, both 2-10, took us well into the second half before we were able to pull these games out.

And we lost by double digits TWICE to the Eagles and TWICE to the Cowboys.

To me the competitive portion of the schedule is over.

If the Redskins whip up on the Giants in their rematch with Geno Smith starting, who really cares?

It's meaningless for the team going forward.

In fact there is a good argument to make that the Redskins would be better off finishing 6-10 to get a better draft position for a future qb to replace Cousins.

Me, I was rooting for my BGO fantasy football teams. One did great, the other is ahead but I need the last 2 games on the week to break my way to hold on.

We tend to lose to teams that are willing to run the ball. In every loss this season the leading Rusher for the game was on the opponents side. They may not have amassed a ton of yards - just more than Washington ever mustered.
In all but 1 of those losses the leading Passer was Kirk Cousins.

In that small handful of wins - Washington had the leading Rusher in 3 of those 5. Leading Passer in 3 of those 5.

If we can surround him with a good solid healthy team, a team with a solid defense and a good running game, he'll produce.
This is just as true for Colt McCoy, and most of the QB's in the league. Even some of the backups.
Many for a third of the cost. Or less.

We tend to lose to teams that are willing to run the ball. In every loss this season the leading Rusher for the game was on the opponents side. They may not have amassed a ton of yards - just more than Washington ever mustered.
In all but 1 of those losses the leading Passer was Kirk Cousins.

In that small handful of wins - Washington had the leading Rusher in 3 of those 5. Leading Passer in 3 of those 5.

Yeah, that's my observation too.

I don't think it's a coincidence that our season went sideways predominantly when we lost Jonathan Allen and Ioannidis needed to play with a club on his hand. We've not been able to consistently stop the run since then, and as soon as they wear us down and start running on us their passing game opens up too. It's no surprise we fade down the stretch on defense lately.

Not to mention the numerous times the offense failed to score touchdowns early, forcing teams to be one dimensional, allowing the defense to pin their ears back and go kill the QB. Defense started strong in many games, but by the offense got rolling it was too late.

Breaking development at Redskin Park :
Ryan Grant smiled.
The incident was so rare and shocking, that it caused fellow receiver Jordan Reed to smile broadly, as a result.
But as a result of that, Reed sustained a new injury while smiling.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Fired Giants GM Jerry Reese had a winning percentage of .523 in NY<br><br>Washington boss Bruce Allen has a winning percentage of .407 in DC<br><br>(Dan Snyder, without Bruce Allen, had a WP of .455)</p>— Dan Steinberg (@dcsportsbog) <a href="https://twitter.com/dcsportsbog/status/937747109792632834?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 4, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

BB, the Colts waived Kalis due to an undisclosed injury 2 days ago.
It was bad enough that once he cleared waivers, he was to spend the rest of the season on IR.
Do we know what the injury is, and if/how he's actually able to play or practice, just 2 days later ?
Are we just trying to recoup him for next year, out of regret that we lost him ?

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/kyle-kalis-waivedinjured-by-colts/

I really don't know. It is not unusual for some teams to reach an "injury settlement" and then release the player.

Kalis was waived by the Colts on Saturday with an undisclosed injury, but the Redskins are willing to take the risk of bringing him in given their depleted offensive line. Kalis likely won't start off the bat for Washington, but he should provide some depth moving forward.
The link is at the same website previously noted by Fear. link: https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/redskins-kyle-kalis-claimed-by-washington/

So a guess is that if Kalis is medically cleared in the next few weeks he'll hang around & maybe get a few snaps. If not, place him on IR and they can keep him till year versus the PS (saw how that worked out previously). I'm pretty sure that all PS guys are released at the end of the season (but I could be wrong) so if they want to keep Kalis around this would be the smart way to go about it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.