• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

Another season over before December gets here.

Big game, slim playoffs hopes on the line,season on the line and Jay Gruden's team is a no show....again.

Every season it's the same song and dance and always a myriad of excuses as to why we haven't been a true contender 25 yrs running now.

Tired of Dan and Bruce's BS. Bruce will let Kirk walk but somehow manage to keep his job. We'll skip the trenches in the draft which will be explained away by the injury excuse this season has given them.

This Franchise is on life support...fanbase is too. It's the result of fielding a shitty product for 25 yrs....and there seems to be no cure in sight.

Bruce has no clue how to build a team nor do I trust Doug Williams to build one. When Jon Harbaugh uses us as a motivational tool "If you don't perform, I can ship you down I-95 where those losers are". You pretty much know you're a Browns level Franchise.

What's left to cling to as a fan?

How long is Jay's contract for?
IMHO signing Kirk to a Ltd would cripple any available cap we have. Best to draft a qb in rd 1 and take the 3rd when KC signs elsewhere

Question though, weren't Bruce and Dan interviewing gm replacements at 1 point. Is that over and done with?

To me it seems it isn't do much as mastering the draft, but our pre & in-game preparedness. It's like once you take away Jay's first choice of game plan it usually goes to hell in a hand basket.

Stubbornness or just that bad at head coaching?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">A loss ensures the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Redskins?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Redskins</a> have failed to reach 10 wins in 23 of their last 26 seasons.</p>— Jake Russell (@_JakeRussell) <a href="https://twitter.com/_JakeRussell/status/936444702697709569?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 1, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

We are a clown show.

To me it seems it isn't do much as mastering the draft, but our pre & in-game preparedness. It's like once you take away Jay's first choice of game plan it usually goes to hell in a hand basket.

Just that bad at head coaching. He is, Norv Turner Part Deux. A decent enough coordinator, and that's it.

Watching him routinely get outcoached/outschemed by the likes of Jason Garret and Ron Maronelli is a joke. He has just as much trouble beating them with a healthy squad, as he does with a banged up one. I know, the players love him. But being liked is not a requirement from a leader. He's like a parent that tries too hard to be their kids friend, instead of their parent.

But, he'll likely get a pass this season with the injury excuse. And we'll have yet another season of him before he's finally shown the door.

#8 will cost too much to keep. He's not worth half of what he's getting now. QB's win all the time without his flashy stats. I'll take Dak Prescotts "W" last night, over #8 's stat line, every day of the week, and twice on Sundays. Yeah, he did a lot of good things last night. But his early fumble deep in our own territory was a main component in the loss. All the good things don't wipe that out. I'd rather have that money to sign 5-6 quality FA's, at positions of need. A better TEAM doesn't have to rely on one position so much.

And how many more times does Jamison Cluster**** have to fumble on a punt before Norv will admit the he has been wrong to stick with him. He's a disaster waiting to happen. He has a couple handfuls, maybe, of quality returns for his career here. A handful, or less, of them have been positive game changing returns. We need a dedicated returner. One that does both KO's and PR's. And we need a special teams coach that knows how to make them, special.

Kotwica, is a stinka! Just like Norv's choices of Haslett and Barry.

Another morning and another game to put in the rear view mirror.

I'm not going to moan too much (I never do!) but in some ways last nights loss was the worst of the season for me. Beating even the epic New Orleans collapse.

Apart from the opener, this team as shown grit and determination through a rough 2017 campaign. If you'd have told me before the season that we would lose Foster, Thompson, Reed, Kelly, Pryor, Smith and Allen pretty much all season, and have to be dragging people off the streets to fill in on our lines and playing at Running Back... I'd have assumed a 2-14 season was on the cards. But we've fought every inch of the way this season with a team held together by nothing more than what seems to be grit and determination.

You guys ever see one of those Top Gear specials where they guys buy cars and then drive them thousands of miles across some god awful desert, and the cars keep breaking down and they keep fixing them with whatever they can find, and you spend the show wondering if they're going to actually make it to their destination..

This season feels like that. Bits keep falling off the team and we keep pushing onwards. We were competitive in pretty much every game till this week. It's that that disappointed me last night. It was like finally the sheer weight of repairs finally caught up with the team and we broke down.

I'm of a mind now where I'd rather see them shut it down, heal up our banged up players ready for next year, and see how high we can get in the draft. I hate thinking like that, but the reality is that we're very much an outside prospect for the wildcard now, it would take an epic collapse by multiple teams to get us to the post season. I remember seasons for reasons and this season will be the Snakebit one. Before the injury bug hit we showed flashes of what this team really is, what it could be. We could have been in the mix this year, but you just can't plan for the kinds of injuries we're seeing. Every starter that went down weakened us, and like a trauma patient in the E.R. finally the injuries accumulated to a point where you just have to call time of death on the season.

Being positive though, if we can sort out all the contacts and financials, I like where this team is for next year.

Assuming Kirk is back, and we get Thompson, Reed, Davis, Crowder and Doctson back too the pass game looks really solid.
If we can get the O-line healthy and Perine continues his development we could have a really good offense again.

I'd like to see us draft high on Defense again this year and shore up what I think, prior to injuries, was already a much improved unit.

I'll be watching the rest of the games, I always do, but I'm already turning a watchful eye to 2018 now. :D

Another season over before December gets here.

Big game, slim playoffs hopes on the line,season on the line and Jay Gruden's team is a no show....again.

Every season it's the same song and dance and always a myriad of excuses as to why we haven't been a true contender 25 yrs running now.

Tired of Dan and Bruce's BS. Bruce will let Kirk walk but somehow manage to keep his job. We'll skip the trenches in the draft which will be explained away by the injury excuse this season has given them.

This Franchise is on life support...fanbase is too. It's the result of fielding a shitty product for 25 yrs....and there seems to be no cure in sight.

Bruce has no clue how to build a team nor do I trust Doug Williams to build one. When Jon Harbaugh uses us as a motivational tool "If you don't perform, I can ship you down I-95 where those losers are". You pretty much know you're a Browns level Franchise.

What's left to cling to as a fan?

Amen. I feel the same way. I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel. I don't trust Dan & Bruce to make competent choices to improve the team going forward. So, the continual loop of poor play will just continue.

Apathy.

This is exactly right. Everyone has their go to line for when the team loses and they blame whoever they always blame. But the last 2 games, it has just seemed like the team as a whole was not ready to play. They had no focus and no desire. Yes, some individuals played well as they normally do. But I just can't past the fact that when the team needs to play well, they instead come out in a shell. That points to coaching and preparedness. As a team, you can't expect to be handed a win just because you showed up. You have to execute and play better than the other team and make plays when it counts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is exactly right. Everyone has their go to line for when the team loses and they blame whoever they always blame. But the last 2 games, it has just seemed like the team as a whole was not ready to play. They had no focus and no desire. Yes, some individuals played well as they normally do. But I just can't past the fact that when the team needs to play well, they instead come out in a shell. That points to coaching and preparedness.

See: 2016-17 season, week 17

Come out and beat the Giants, a team with nothing to play for, and you're in the paloffs. The team looked like monkeys f#cking a football instead.

Nick

Well, I expected better watching last night, but given what Gruden, Cousins and Co. have given us in primetime 'meaningful' games over the past 3 years perhaps I was just being too optimistic.

This team unlike the ones in 2015 and 2016 has been compromised by injuries, but the flat opening period performance was eerily similar to what we have seen in the past.

The Redskins had clear chances to take the lead early and show the Cowboys this was going to be a 60 minute fight they didn't want to be a part of.

It seemed as if Prescott and the Cowboys took the first body blows and then came alive when Dak was finally able to scramble forward for a first down on that drive that ended with Dallas' first touchdown.

From there on out, this game was effectively over.

What did the outcome convince me of?

1. The Redskins desperately need help at wide receiver. My analogy for Josh Doctson is Alvin Harper. Good for one or two big catches a game using his athleticism but not reliable as a chain-moving, possession saving wideout with the sure hands and confidence you see in a true #1 .

To me he was a 'miss' in the first round. At #22 you invest in a guy that RELISHES the competition, contact and physical nature of the game. Doctson to me doesn't like running over the middle or having to block on the outside. He is a show-pony.

Crowder had a catastrophically bad night for this team. He is usually reliable as a receiver so last night in that regard was the exception not the norm for him. But let's not kid ourselves. Jamison is a #3 or #4 receiver on a really good offense like New England or New Orleans or Atlanta.

So, in a way it's not his fault injuries have him playing way above his pay grade.

Also as a punt returner, Crowder has given us very little since being drafted in 2015. He may have been the NCAA punt return leader coming out but outside of that one return last year for a TD, he has a very poor return record and is one of the least productive returners in the NFC.

We need to admit reality here and find a replacement with true breakaway ability when they make that first guy miss and start to get upfield.

2. We have a LOT of outside linebackers on this team. Beyond Kerrigan, Smith, Anderson, Galette we also have Trent Murphy coming off injured reserve. But what we DON'T have is a dominant pass rusher who game in and game out is a guy that just ruins the day for the opposition. Kerrigan has 9-10 sacks and gets them in bunches, but tends to take advantage of the Erick Hicks' of the world to put up those stats. When he is going against a Tyron Smith or Lane Johnson quality tackle he tends to disappear.

Despite the previous investments in this position, if we are going to continue the 3-4 (which is a debate in and of itself) we need to draft or sign a legit pass rusher with higher ceiling/athleticism. We need our own Von Miller, Vic Beasley or even a DeMarcus Lawrence type that is 255-60 but can get around the edge on just about any tackle out there.

3. Kirk Cousins didn't lose this game by himself. He wasn't responsible for Crowder fumbling a punt. He wasn't responsible for the front seven on defense to begin to collapse mid-way through the second quarter. He also isn't responsible for Josh Docston dropping the slant pass.

But in these games where the Redskins look challenged to stem the tide on a game that could be going sideways, Kirk never seems to be able to right the ship with some calm, cool plays made on the next drive to 'restore order'.

Far too frequently, he gets caught up in the flush of the toilet bowl and starts to devolve with the rest of the team.

That's what Drew Brees, Brady and especially this year Philip Rivers have NOT done.

They settle people down on the sidelines and get guys focused back on the field. Kirk does not seem to have that ability to influence the play of his teammates in a positive way.

I remember Troy Brown saying players on the Patriots were a LOT more afraid to face a mad Brady on the field after dropping a pass or batting one up for an interception, etc. than in facing a hit by the corners or safeties.

Here, and part of it may be Jay Gruden's fault as well, players make mistakes and they apologize for them but they never really seem to give off any inkling that they are worried about these plays having an effect on their status with the club.

It seems the Redskins culture is too accepting and forgiving at times.

And I think on the field that starts with the QB.

The QB has to show that same toughness. Throwing another interception and fumbling twice after the Crowder miss/interception early on, didn't do much to help Kirk turn this one back around.

The performance last night follows similar performances last year against Dallas, Carolina and the NY Giants where the Redskins were far healthier than last night and Kirk had the services of DeShaun Jackson and Pierre Garcon.

So, this prime time failure can't all be laid at the feet of injuries.

It just seems to be Kirk.

When things start to not go well against solid to good teams in primetime, Kirk seems to come up small.

Last night I just think an Aaron Rodgers or Drew Brees would have found a way to keep this team online and in contention to win at the end.

At this point, after all these years of frustration, I really want only one thing.

Players with a high level of ‘attitude'. Players that say “oh, hell no” when the going gets tough. The Hogs, Brian Mitchell, Dexter Manley, Charles Mann, London Fletcher, SEAN TAYLOR, etc.

Outside of Kerrigan, Swearinger, Scherff, T Williams, and Zack Brown I don't see it.

I think that the last iota of my give a damn left last night, yet I'll continue to watch just won't care, bring on the off season and Kirk, let him walk. I'm tired of watching capt stats d*** shrivel in the spot light and Gruden can join him outside the building.

Did some of you actually watch the game last night? Cousins was the best player on the field for the Redskins. His mistake was the fumble, which was a costly one and all on him as he has to protect the ball. But he made play after play after play last night. It was all for nought as the team played poorly and that is what matters. But Cousins absolutely played really hard and tough and made a ton of plays all night long.

I don't think there is one player to blame as it was a team failure. But if you really have a need to blame one guy, you can blame Crowder who was responsible for turnovers on back to back plays. The drop for the INT killed most likely a TD drive and the fumbled punt could have killed another score and definitely flipped the momentum. If the Redskins go up 10-0 in the 1st quarter, the game is completely different and we don't see Dallas running all over the Redskins in the 2nd half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What Cousins did NOT do is scramble on a keeper for a key first down in scoring territory as Dak Prescott did.

That facet of his game still eludes him in crunch time, especially in scoring territory where he takes an unnecessarily high number of sacks.

How many times have we been pushed out of field goal range by a 8-10 yard sack on third down where Kirk either needs to throw the ball away OR take off on his own and try and get yards downfield? :)

Can the Redskins win with Kirk Cousins if the rest of their team is as good as say the 2002 Bucs or 2000 Ravens defenses?

Yes.

The trouble is you can't put those kinds of teams together anymore, or at least keep them together.

Kirk came into the NFL at the wrong time.

Joe Gibbs would have made a big winner out of him just as he did with Mark Rypien.

In today's NFL you can't hide weaknesses the way coaches used to be able to.

Remember the job Bill Parcells did with Jeff Hostetler in the 1990 playoffs and Super Bowl?

Those days are over.

Norv Gruden's system will survive without #8 .

#8 is more likely to fail anywhere else.

We'll be better of after next season, when both will be gone.

If the Browns are the Factory of Sadness, then we're the Wholesalers of Sadness.

Please don't compare us to the Browns :)

In the past 4 years, the Redskins under Gruden have won twice as many games, 26 wins vs. only 11, as the Browns. We've won an NFC East championship and hosted a home playoff game. The Browns have had 2 head coaches and 4 different starting QBs.

The Redskins have a long way to go.

The Browns are a an outright disaster.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 6, Members: 0, Guests: 6)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.