• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

Cousins is a top 10 NFL QB. Honestly - given what he's had to work with this year, those are impressive #'s. Yeah - I know. Stats don't matter. Except that they do.

With the upcoming schedule those stats are gonna go thru the roof...going by Redskins standards anyway. No doubt pretty good stats but he's also playing above our available cap allocation as well.

Can't see how we can support his contract and maintain future FA lockup's

My prediction - we take our future QB in the 2018 draft with our top pick. We'll also pony up for 1 more year of Cousins and transition to his successor in 2019. While I'd like to keep Cousins long-term, I think he's going to get some totally off-the-chart offers if we let him hit the open market, and (rightfully so) we aren't going to cripple our franchise by investing in him long-term at market value as teams like the Ravens have done.

We'll gulp hard and take the 1 year hit to retain Cousins in 2018 while we groom the next 'franchise QB' candidate.

My prediction - we take our future QB in the 2018 draft with our top pick. We'll also pony up for 1 more year of Cousins and transition to his successor in 2019. While I'd like to keep Cousins long-term, I think he's going to get some totally off-the-chart offers if we let him hit the open market, and (rightfully so) we aren't going to cripple our franchise by investing in him long-term at market value as teams like the Ravens have done.

We'll gulp hard and take the 1 year hit to retain Cousins in 2018 while we groom the next 'franchise QB' candidate.

I could see that totally happening. I do worry if we lock Cousins into a big long term rate what they will do to our ability to get other pieces.

Quite possibly. If the new guy was doing OK and the team wasn't getting W's maybe trade him but that would take a team pretty desperate and have the cap space to pull it off.

Was a crucial game this week, beating the Giants means a lot coupled with a couple of the other results in already. Our road to the Playoffs then…

Seahawks - 2 games ahead but we hold the tiebreak (Play the Niners. Seattle aren't unbeatable though, losing 2 of the last 3 games – one to us! Plus the Niners played them very close back in week 2. Here's hoping eh!)

Panthers - 2 games ahead (They should beat the Jets this week… but they still have Saints, Vikings and Falcons on the docket. I think maybe our hopes should be pinned on beating Seahawks to their Wild Card though.).

Lions – (PLAYED! LOSS)1 games ahead. (Their schedule is cake. They did lose to the Vikings this week as I hoped!)

Packers - 1 game ahead (Pack play the 8-2 Steelers. They should lose which will put us even with them.)

Falcons - 1/2 game ahead (Still have the Saints twice - 2 losses please! AND the Seahawks, the Panthers and the Vikings. I can see them beating the Buccs this week, but their end of season is brutal.)

Cardinals - Level (Play the 7-3 Jax Jags. Fingers crossed they'll lose this moving us a game ahead of them.)

Buccaneers - Level (They play the Falcons this week. Now we're won this week doesn't matter who wins this game we benefit. Either we more a half-game ahead of the Falcons or a full game ahead of the Buccs.)

Cowboys – (PLAYED! LOSS) Level (I wasn't expecting the Chargers to whup them so comprehensively. Level pegging now and we still have the return game against them without Elliott next week. AND they still have tough games against the Eagles and the Seahawks to come too.)

So.... Crowder has 561 yards so far this season in 11 games. Not great...

BUT

He has 412 yards on 27 catches in the last 4 games.

With 5 games left to play we could have a 1000 yard receiver on the team after all!

Was a crucial game this week, beating the Giants means a lot coupled with a couple of the other results in already. Our road to the Playoffs then…

Seahawks - 2 games ahead but we hold the tiebreak (Play the Niners. Seattle aren't unbeatable though, losing 2 of the last 3 games – one to us! Plus the Niners played them very close back in week 2. Here's hoping eh!)

Panthers - 2 games ahead (They should beat the Jets this week… but they still have Saints, Vikings and Falcons on the docket. I think maybe our hopes should be pinned on beating Seahawks to their Wild Card though.).

Lions – (PLAYED! LOSS)1 games ahead. (Their schedule is cake. They did lose to the Vikings this week as I hoped!)

Packers - 1 game ahead (Pack play the 8-2 Steelers. They should lose which will put us even with them.)

Falcons - 1/2 game ahead (Still have the Saints twice - 2 losses please! AND the Seahawks, the Panthers and the Vikings. I can see them beating the Buccs this week, but their end of season is brutal.)

Cardinals - Level (Play the 7-3 Jax Jags. Fingers crossed they'll lose this moving us a game ahead of them.)

Buccaneers - Level (They play the Falcons this week. Now we're won this week doesn't matter who wins this game we benefit. Either we more a half-game ahead of the Falcons or a full game ahead of the Buccs.)

Cowboys – (PLAYED! LOSS) Level (I wasn't expecting the Chargers to whup them so comprehensively. Level pegging now and we still have the return game against them without Elliott next week. AND they still have tough games against the Eagles and the Seahawks to come too.)

We havn't played the Lions this year

I know it's a little crazy to be talking playoffs at 5-6, but this team has a real opportunity ahead, if we somehow manage to win games and not let the mountain of injuries get the best of us.

The schedule shapes up fairly nicely, and I firmly believe that this week in Dallas will tell the tale of the season. 10 wins will definitely be getting in the playoffs in the NFC, 9 wins is a long, long stretch. More importantly, the teams we are chasing have brutal schedules in many cases, and that includes some current division leaders such as the Rams, who easily could slip to 6 losses.

Let's take a look at remaining games...

Atlanta (currently 6-4) - Vikings, Saints twice, Panthers, Bucs twice - my predicted finish (10-6)
Rams (currently 7-3) - Saints, Cards, Eagles, Seahawks, Titans, Rams - my predicted finish (10-6)
Panthers (currently 7-3) - Jets, Saints, Vikings, Pack, Bucs, Falcons - my predicted finish (11-5)
Seahawks (currently 6-4) - 49ers, Eagles, Jags, Rams, Cowboys, Cards - my predicted finish (11-5)
Lions (currently 6-5) - Ravens, Bucs, Bears, Bengals, Pack - my predicted finish (9-7)
Cowboys (currently 5-6) - Skins, Giants, Raiders, Seahawks, Eagles - will they lose one more knocking them out of the fold? Yes
Packers (currently 5-5) - Steelers, Bucs, Browns, Panthers, Vikings, Lions - will they lose one more knocking them out? Yes

All in all, if we take care of our own business, we are throwing ourselves in the mix come Week 17. Whether we hold the advantage in tiebreakers will be another story.

Of those I don't see Detroit losing two. That is a pretty cake schedule.

Did Sprinkle even dress last night? Just curious, no catches going by the box score if so.

Thanks JB, was wondering how well Kirk was distributing the ball. Suppose when Crowder is balling out it's tough to look elsewhere tho.

Kirk still hit 7 guys on 19 completions so I'd say he spread it around pretty well even with Crowder getting 7 catches.

Niles Paul and Davis were helping to block at the line of scrimmage.

JPP would have had five sacks on his own if the team didn't scheme to provide Cousins with better protection. Even so, Cousins took 6 sacks.

The very fact of a #4 pick like Kirk Cousins coming in and starting here in Washington, Russell Wilson doing the same as a #3 pick, Dak Prescott in Dallas , etc. is pretty good evidence that a capable front office can go into the draft and find a signal caller that can come in and be a productive NFL starter.

The problem for the team is that Cousins was sitting behind Griffin for much of the first 3 years of his career, so when he finally did get a chance to play and showed he could be productive there was NO TIME left on his contract to see Part II of the movie, the team was forced to either pay up right away for a limited sample of work or let him go.

If the Redskins were clairvoyant they should have paid Cousins the $16M after the 2015 season on a 5-6 year deal.

But who knew whether that last 9 games in 2015 was the real deal or a mirage?

Look at Case Keenum. He is cruising along with a 9-2 Vikings' team and making plays all over the field.

But remember what he was at his other stops? He was downright awful at times. Throwing interceptions just like Cousins did early on.

So, do the Vikings roll the dice in 2018 and give Keenum a mega-deal contract at age 29 or do they go back to Bridgewater and thank Case for his fine season of work as he goes into free agency?

It's a lot easier in retrospect to say what a GM should have done.

But it was no slam dunk after 2015 that Kirk was the long-term answer. The Redskins had a relatively light schedule coming down the stretch in 2015 and while the team did make the playoffs at 9-7, we never did beat teams like the Patriots, Seahawks, Broncos or Steelers.

In our 'primetime' matchup with the Packers at home in the playoffs we got destroyed and the entire team, Cousins included, looked way over-matched.

It was hardly the same kind of performance Kurt Warner had in 1999 with the Rams where signing him to a long-term extension was a given after his performance over 16 games and the playoffs.

Was disappointed in Joe Gibbs: A Football Life, last night.

1) There was too much about NASCAR and not enough about football.

2) When they did discuss football, they glossed over too much. No interviews or mentions of Joe Bugel,Don Breaux or Ritchie Petitbon.....You know, guys who worked with him day in day out?

It would've been nice to get their perspective on the man.

Should've been better. In fact, they have done better on other players/coaches. It just came off as something that was slapped togther and shoved out to the public.

Glad I was away for the last 2 games. I was off doing my part to reduce the deer population.
Probably would have gotten myself tossed.

I'll be brief.

When all was said and done, the offense failed to gain six...freakin...inches to seal the deal against the Saints. Terrible play call by Gruden. Either sneak it, or run it straight up between the guards.
Everybody and their mother knows Brady's gonna sneak it when it's that close. And he always seems to make it. Never loses yards, does he?

Gruden's just a guy. He'll never be an elite coach.
Crook Cousins is also, just a guy.

Dropped passes by Giant receivers was our best weapon against them.

Hope like hell we can hit 10-6. Even though it's not a given, that it will take us to the post season.

Another must win this Thursday. No excuses.

I think they're all must wins now as I don't see 9-7 making the playoffs. Dallast - same boat as the Skins in that they're all must wins wins but their road is a lot more uphill. Washington has played down to the level of their competition previously so what will they do against a team that's managed only 22 points total in their last 3 games? This is a game (much like the Gnats) they really should handle fairly easily.

Yeah - best receiver for the Gnats is a TE who leads the league in drops. Added to that total Thursday.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 5, Members: 0, Guests: 5)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.