• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

Can you give some examples of 'preventable injuries'?

As for why some players get injured on a play, but others don't - first of all, it's a false premise - because no play is exactly the same. But setting that aside, there could be existing but unknown injuries - such as a miniscule tear in an MCL, that upon a particularly violent hit, give way. Players have different builds. I don't think it's rocket science to assume greater size increases player durability.

I'm not arguing it's not worth looking at, or that 'nothing can be done'. I'm just skeptical that there's some kind of major fault or failed/inadequate approach the Redskins need to address any more than any other team. If injury prevention is the #1 priority, I suppose you could take an approach that focuses on 'safe tackling', not going for extra yards, filling your team with the biggest bodies available at every position, maybe other things that don't leap immediately to mind.

Maybe you could reduce injury rates, maybe not. But you might also impact positives like breakout plays based on 2nd effort, team speed, who knows...

Not being a buzzkill (or at least intending to be one). I'm just skeptical that there are root causes of injuries that aren't 99% explained by the size and strength of players, and the nature of the game which is violent hits delivered with ferocity over and over again.

I've been wrong before. I think it's an interesting topic.

The only thing I'd add to this, which pretty much sums up how I feel, is that I think sometime playing hurt and compensating for something can lead to further injury. You see it alot in basketball, where someone sprains an ankle or something and then changes their gait to compensate which leads to injuries on the other leg or back or something as the body isn't doing what it does naturally.
With our team so banged up I'm wondering if some players are forcing an early return with is leading to more reinjuries.

But then I'm not sports scientist, so this is just a theory. LOL

The gameday inactive rule might be the dumbest of the dumb rules.

The entire 53 man roster should be active for every game. With all practice squad players dressed and available, should the starters ahead of them get injured. But once that practice squad player gets on the field, the starters they replaced are done for the day.

Not just that Ax. I don't really understand why, in a sport where owners are making gazillions, they don't expand roster size to say, 65. It's the right thing to do, and it would give more project players/UDFAs a chance to succeed. There's only one argument against it - and that's cost. But that could be mitigated by having a 3rd restricted pay tier beyond the 53 man roster.

It's really a no-brainer.

Not just that Ax. I don't really understand why, in a sport where owners are making gazillions, they don't expand roster size to say, 65. There's only one argument against it - and that's cost.

Seems like a contradiction.
If they're making gazillions, then why is "cost" the only issue ?
Perhaps "cheapness" would be a more fitting word ?

At the very least I'd like to see guys in the concussion protocol not count against the 53. I get the player safety aspect but the protocol can go on indefinitely. Many other injuries can linger on but mostly you can fix a reasonable timetable for the players return.

Hmmm,
I was really excited by the Pryor signing. A world of potential and according to him a tremendous desire. As Rick Walker has said - you can say and post whatever you want but you have to show and prove it.

Pryor is looking to be headed to a new team after the season.

Hate to see wasted potential.

Was it this thread that we were talking about SkyCam?

Interesting article on The Ringer about it...
The Ringer SkyCam

I'd like the use of it as a tool in some circumstances, but on the whole, I prefer the traditional look.

I thought I read where Pryor was getting an MRI for something, and that's why he wasn't at practice.

As to his non existent performance this season, I put about 75% of the blame on our coaching staff.

If we can't get what Hue Jackson and his staff, plus 873 different QB's did, out of Pryor last season, that's on us. It's what happens when you have a rigid system coach, like Gruden. Not to mention a QB, already richer than he could have ever expected to be, that STILL plays more like a guy who's afraid of losing out on a big contract, more than just trying to win the freakin game.

I haven't heard anything definitive, but I have heard rumors/rumblings that Pryor has been playing hurt most of the season. Doesn't explain the total lack of success he's had (or near total), but there may be more to the story than we know.

I haven't heard anything definitive, but I have heard rumors/rumblings that Pryor has been playing hurt most of the season. Doesn't explain the total lack of success he's had (or near total), but there may be more to the story than we know.

I thin that its a definite possibility, he doesnt look anything like the player he was in cleveland, with a million different and crappeir qbs

If we can't get what Hue Jackson and his staff, plus 873 different QB's did, out of Pryor last season, that's on us. It's what happens when you have a rigid system coach, like Gruden. Not to mention a QB, already richer than he could have ever expected to be, that STILL plays more like a guy who's afraid of losing out on a big contract, more than just trying to win the freakin game.

If it was the coaching staff, then none of our other receivers would be having success.
Coaches may fail to coach up a player to a higher level. But very rarely do they coach a player down, and in effect, make him a worse player.
If Hue Jackson is such a great coach, and better than our staff, and responsible for coaching UP Pryor, then why is his team so miserable year after year ? Going on a 1-24 stretch, I think I heard.

Last edited:
None of our receivers are having much success. Do we even have one in the top 10, 20?

Common denominators; Coaching staff, and Crook Cousins.

Our leading ‘receiver' (not counting Thompson and Davis) has 348 yards, so...

None of our receivers are having much success. Do we even have one in the top 10, 20?

Crowder is the best at #53 when eliminating TEs and RBs.

Our leading ‘receiver' (not counting Thompson and Davis) has 348 yards, so...

And what of their success prior to this season, where the coaching staff was the same ? They were the common denominator during the good years too.
If it was on the coaches, they would have failed to get anything out of Crowder and the rest of them in 2016 and prior.
And then there's Grant. Maybe not a great receiver, but he wasn't supposed to be this good. He's far exceeded expectations. You have to give credit to coaches for that.
There's something else going on this season, and it's not on the coaches.

Last edited:
Different coordinator/play caller this year.

There is a guy with the Rams that is having a decent season so far.

So, you're saying McVay is the one responsible for our receivers getting more open and catching more balls in those years ?
A play-caller is the reason why a 6-5 receiver suddenly can't get open ?

Last edited:
I'm saying McVay had a seemingly very good rapport with Cousins.

As a fan without access to the All 22 video I can't say with conviction that they are or are not getting open. Also, with out the needed access I can't say whether or not the qb trusts them enough to let it go.

I think we're waaaay oversimplifying things. Here are just a few factors that come into play in producing a really good passing offense:

1) QB protection/OL effectiveness
2) QB talent
3) QB confidence
4) WR/TE talent
5) TE/RB pass blocking
5) QB-WR familiarity/timing
6) Running threat
7) Player familiarity/comfort level with plays/scheme
8) Offensive Health

That's just throwing stuff at the wall, but just with those - you can see where just about every factor I listed there was shaky going into this season, or quickly became an issue within the first 4 games.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.