• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

Yeah, I suppose a professional football coach in the middle of a nationally televised football game being watched by tens of millions, trying to find some way for his team of walking wounded backups to win a game, even as a season is slipping a way, could have been disinterested and bored.

Or ...

Sept. 23, 2011-- Why do we yawn?

All humans yawn. So do most vertebrate animals. Surely it serves some useful function. But what that might be has puzzled scientists throughout the ages.

Now a series of experiments suggests a surprising reason for yawning. It cools the brain, says Andrew C. Gallup, PhD, a postdoctoral research associate at Princeton University.

"We have collected data on rats, parakeets, and humans. All the data supports the brain-cooling hypothesis," Gallup tells WebMD.

Here's the basic idea:

- When you start to yawn, powerful stretching of the jaw increases bloodflow in the neck, face, and head.
- The deep intake of breath during a yawn forces downward flow of spinal fluid and blood from the brain.
- Cool air breathed into the mouth cools these fluids.

Together these processes may act like a radiator, removing [too hot] blood from the brain while introducing cooler blood from the lungs and extremities, thereby cooling [brain] surfaces," Gallup says.

... maybe he was utterly engaged and overextended, and his body was simply doing what a few million years of evolutionary biology has programmed it to do?

Nah that can't be it. That would only apply if we won. We lost, so he musta just been disinterested and bored.

Tell you what...how about we call it an involuntary response AND a lousy visual? Cause frankly, it was both. I mentioned it in chat. I thought it looked bad and honestly, I still do.

It's probably just me and this is only my opinion but my thought at the time was that he did look disinterested. Was he? I doubt it very much but the visual "said" something different.

I work in front of people for a living. I present and do demos for potential customers every week. I am keenly aware of my body language. Sometimes I have to yawn when I'm doing it and I know what it looks like. I work at minimizing the appearance and if there is a way to hide it, I do. It just sends a bad message.

Does this make Guden a bad coach? No, it just makes him a bad PR guy. Sadly, in this day and age, a Head Coach is more than just a coach. He is more like the CEO of the company and as such he has to be worried about pesky crap like PR and appearance. Perception is reality now days. Part of my beef with Gruden from Day 1 has been his side line demeanor. I honestly believe he is clueless about the image he is projecting out there and I don't just mean to the public...his players see it too. Everything he does out there is seen and sends a message to the team.

I get the people defending the guy at the moment too. He is in a tough position and he is seriously burning the midnight oil, I'm sure. I'm not trying to crucify him. Having said that, if I were the PR person for the Skins I'd be talking to him about the messages he is sending with his body language.

An involuntary response under duress, in this case a yawn, makes Jay Gruden a "bad PR guy"? He wasn't giving a speech, he was trying to coach a professional football game--one in which his team was literally coming apart at the seams due to accumulation of injuries.

That assessment seems like a real stretch to me. Hopefully you're basing it on more than just this one visual? If so, that's a different conversation.

Maybe I just don't get why anyone would still be imparting any kind of judgement on a guy for that particular involuntary action in that particular situation. It smacks to me of classic fan overreaction. And I consider myself quite qualified to comment on that, given I'm prone to it myself in the heat of battle. With three days to look back objectively at the bigger picture though, I'm having a hard time understanding how a yawn is even part of the conversation given the realities of what went down Sunday and leading up to it.

I should probably be on here more--maybe then I'd understand. ;)

With three days to look back objectively at the bigger picture though, I'm having a hard time understanding how a yawn is even part of the conversation given the realities of what went down Sunday and leading up to it.

I made my initial comment less the 12 hrs after the game.

EVERYTHING else has been responding to those who didn't like it.

Personally I honestly don't care whether he yawned or not. LOL I didn't even notice it when watching the broadcast even though it was pointed out. (It was late, I was probably yawning myself to be honest! :D)

All I was doing was pointing out that it's an involuntary thing he probably wasn't even aware of doing.

I agree that if I saw a pilot or a heart surgeon yawning then I'd be worried if I was a passenger or going under the knife.... but then both those profession have a responsibility to be rested and able to perform the task. I don't want a surgeon burning the midnight oil prior to sticking me with a scalpel. Nor do I want a pilot who's on his 8th back to back flight.

Gruden isn't in a job that relies on him getting a solid 8hrs every night. From what I know about Coaching (which is little to be honest) Coaches frequently put in long hours, burn the midnight oil and sleep on couches in their offices. I'd honestly be more pissed if Gruden was just rolling in a 9am and going home at 5pm and switching off.

Gruden also isn't presenting to anyone, so it's really pretty irrelevant from that point to. I'm a software consultant and trainer by profession so I know yawning infront of a class or a presentation is a no-no, but Gruden's not presenting to anyone at that point. He's probably not even aware of the camera being on him, he's busy trying to shore up a decimated team and find groups of players that can be put together on the field to accomplish something. Honestly I'm not sure what I'd have done when 6 of my 8 offensive linemen are off the field nursing injuries. The fact that we were even a little bit competitive I think speaks volumes.

It was an odd feeling on Sunday. I hate losses as much as the next man, but on Sunday as our players were dropping like flies I honestly was thinking it through and couldn't figure out what I'd do. With no o-line we couldn't run or pass protect, the Cowboys seemed to be in our backfield before the ball was snapped sometimes.

I honestly got to the end of the game and shrugged. We put up way more of a competitive showing that I honestly expected and hence I actually didn't feel that bad. I felt much worse after that Kansas City loss or the Eagles loss where we could have had wins. But this week I really couldn't see a way around the attrition for us. Alas I feel that's going to be the case for the next couple of weeks till we start getting healthy again.... hopefully.

That said I'm not defending Gruden, just the action.

I have issues with Gru, mostly based around 2nd half adjustments really, which even before we had been decimated were suspect. I don't like his play calling sometimes and I have a real issue at times with his RedZone calls.

On the flip side I think he'd grown since his first year and learns. This team is leagues better across the board than it was a few years ago and I like that they have the right spirit and don't give up.

I'd LOVE to have seen what we could have done this season if Little Miss Fate hadn't beaten us to death with the injury stick.

Sometimes as fans I think we get too close to our team and we magnify the issues we see. But all teams have these issues. (Except maybe the Patriots...)
Everytime we see Kirk throw an interception we call him boneheaded... but every QB throws interceptions and they are ALL boneheaded plays. For example both media darling Carson Wentz (5) and Cam Newton (11) have thrown more interceptions, and Rodgers is only 1 less in half the games.
We'll regularly rake Gruden over the coals for bad clock management or a bad call... but I guarantee every fan base in the league says the same thing about their coach on their version of BGO.

That's just football. There's only one Belli and only one Brady. Everyone else is flawed, there are no perfect teams.

Went off on a tangent there. Lunchtime rambling, strap on your hiking boots and join me. :D

An involuntary response under duress, in this case a yawn, makes Jay Gruden a "bad PR guy"? He wasn't giving a speech, he was trying to coach a professional football game--one in which his team was literally coming apart at the seams due to accumulation of injuries.

That assessment seems like a real stretch to me. Hopefully you're basing it on more than just this one visual? If so, that's a different conversation.

Maybe I just don't get why anyone would still be imparting any kind of judgement on a guy for that particular involuntary action in that particular situation. It smacks to me of classic fan overreaction. And I consider myself quite qualified to comment on that, given I'm prone to it myself in the heat of battle. With three days to look back objectively at the bigger picture though, I'm having a hard time understanding how a yawn is even part of the conversation given the realities of what went down Sunday and leading up to it.

Maybe it is a stretch. Maybe it's just me and Ax. I don't know.

I do know I work hard at tempering my over reaction as a fan with logical thought and 3 days later that visual still bugs me. Is it keeping me awake at night? No. Do I want to fire him over it? No.

Here is another way to look at it...Ever seen Belichick yawn on the side line? How about Carroll? Tomlin? Any other Super Bowl winning coach? I'm not being flip here...I just don't remember ever seeing any of them yawn on the side lines. Now I grant you, I don't watch those teams play every week so my odds of catching that are much less just from an opportunity standpoint.

Maybe my view of this is totally colored by my lack of enthusiasm over his side line demeanor. I haven't been thrilled with that part of his coaching from the beginning so I might be overly critical. Perhaps my expectations are too high.

I also recognize that there is likely a camera trained on him every single second he is in public view on a game day. That's a tough position to be in.

Personally I honestly don't care whether he yawned or not. LOL I didn't even notice it when watching the broadcast even though it was pointed out. (It was late, I was probably yawning myself to be honest! :D)

All I was doing was pointing out that it's an involuntary thing he probably wasn't even aware of doing.

I agree that if I saw a pilot or a heart surgeon yawning then I'd be worried if I was a passenger or going under the knife.... but then both those profession have a responsibility to be rested and able to perform the task. I don't want a surgeon burning the midnight oil prior to sticking me with a scalpel. Nor do I want a pilot who's on his 8th back to back flight.

Gruden isn't in a job that relies on him getting a solid 8hrs every night. From what I know about Coaching (which is little to be honest) Coaches frequently put in long hours, burn the midnight oil and sleep on couches in their offices. I'd honestly be more pissed if Gruden was just rolling in a 9am and going home at 5pm and switching off.

Gruden also isn't presenting to anyone, so it's really pretty irrelevant from that point to. I'm a software consultant and trainer by profession so I know yawning infront of a class or a presentation is a no-no, but Gruden's not presenting to anyone at that point. He's probably not even aware of the camera being on him, he's busy trying to shore up a decimated team and find groups of players that can be put together on the field to accomplish something. Honestly I'm not sure what I'd have done when 6 of my 8 offensive linemen are off the field nursing injuries. The fact that we were even a little bit competitive I think speaks volumes.

But he is in a job that should require that. He is effectively playing chess at the Grand Master level every weekend. Do think for a minute that Kasparov would walk into a tournament without getting a good night's sleep? How well do any of think when we are exhausted? How creative are we?

He gets 16 chances a year at a win. He is paid to win and while his job entails a lot of other responsibilities, winning is all he is paid for. Does he not owe it to himself and his employer to come to work those 16 times a year in the best shape possible?

And I disagree that he wasn't "presenting". He is one of 32 Head Coaches in the most watched professional sports league in this country. One of the most watched professional sports leagues in the world. On game day he is presenting something to someone every single minute he isn't alone. In front of his staff, his players, the media, the fans and the viewers at home he is presenting. And he has been in this game long enough now that he should assume every thing he does in view of a camera is being captured by that camera and shown to the whole viewing audience. Hell, he should assume that anything he does in front of the camera will make the highlights on ESPN, NFL Network, Football Night in America and any other show out there with a vague interest in ratings.

Now, having said all that, I don't want to take anything away from what happened on the field. What he and the staff pulled off with a bunch of guys who got cut after 4 pre-season games was pretty impressive. I said that then and I am saying again now.

I also don't want to make too big a deal about this. I only jumped in because I think my view kinda ties the two sides together. It was involuntary and it bothered me, so I'm middle ground.

But he is in a job that should require that. He is effectively playing chess at the Grand Master level every weekend. Do think for a minute that Kasparov would walk into a tournament without getting a good night's sleep? How well do any of think when we are exhausted? How creative are we?

Depends how many of his Chess pieces are broken and if he has to figure out where he's getting his new pieces from at short notice. ;)

He gets 16 chances a year at a win. He is paid to win and while his job entails a lot of other responsibilities, winning is all he is paid for. Does he not owe it to himself and his employer to come to work those 16 times a year in the best shape possible?

True.... but though the chess comment above was tongue in cheek, for the exact reasons we've discussed they aren't comparative. Kasparov only has to worry about himself and getting himself to that seat in front of the chess board with his body and mind prepped to be the best they can be.

Coaches have to deal with all the minutiae of the game, the staff, the injuries, the strategies and god knows what else I don't know about. That stuff keeps you up at night and takes time to deal with. Even if he gets a solid 8hrs the night before the game does that make up for the rest of the week? What about weeks when they are travelling? Short weeks? I don't think honestly it's reasonable to assume that he gets even a chance to get a good nights sleep before a game, I'd wager no coach does. In a perfect world it would be great, but in the real world of sports and the pressures that go with it, I'm thinking not. I bet the first night of decent sleep any coach really gets if they're honest is the day the season ends.

And I disagree that he wasn't "presenting". He is one of 32 Head Coaches in the most watched professional sports league in this country. One of the most watched professional sports leagues in the world... etc

I get all that, I do. But honestly I don't much care how he looks on the field, I suspect most people don't. And I suspect Gruden doesn't give a jot either. If you asked him I'd wager that he thinks that when he's on the sidelines it's the game that is the job, not how he looks on TV. Frankly personally I hope that's the case because when he's on the sidelines I, as a fan, don't want him bothered by how he looks on TV. It's an outside perception, I don't think Coaches or organisations really care. I think the last Coach that did was probably Tom Landry LOL.

I do think that it also may be something that is changing, I think the younger coaches, the McVay's and Shannahan's of the world probably put some thought into their image, but I doubt many of the older school coaches do.

Honestly I just think this is down to personal feeling from the comments here. It's not something that bothers me at all personally he's working with a stress load that I personally couldn't imagine (and I pay packet that I couldn't either!), but I can also understand those that are and why.

Now, having said all that, I don't want to take anything away from what happened on the field. What he and the staff pulled off with a bunch of guys who got cut after 4 pre-season games was pretty impressive. I said that then and I am saying again now.

I also don't want to make too big a deal about this. I only jumped in because I think my view kinda ties the two sides together. It was involuntary and it bothered me, so I'm middle ground.

Indeed.

This is why I really love this forum, everyone is united in a love for the Skins, but we all have our own opinions and the debates are intelligent and rarely heated.
Love you guys! :D

What does it mean if he burps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then it means he is now seeing what the rest of us are seeing 😆😆😆😆

The same thing is happening with Gruden and Cousins that happened back in the 1990's with Norv and his qbs.

Every time there was a chance to evaluate Norv as a coach and look to move on, we get a series of injuries and he gets a reprieve for yet another season.

Is being 8-8 or 9-7 quality better than being the 0-7 Browns?

Of course. But that should not be the measuring stick.

The Eagles in 2014 and 15 were awful after Kelley traded away half their team.

And yet starting over, after 2 short years the are 7-1 with one of the highest ranked qbs in the game.

And amazingly they were able to unload Sam Bradford for a #1 pick to Minnesota to recoup part of what they gave up for Wentz.

If they were the Redskins they would still have Bradford and would be trying to decide 'is he worth a new contract or not?'

Bruce Allen's front office is not making the big lame ass moves we used to see here that drew league-wide derision.

But they are slow plodders.

Decisions on players and coaches takes forever to materialize.

We should have signed Kirk or traded him after 2016.

Now we look like fools for either paying him a king's ransom or letting him go with no compensation at all.

We should have pulled the plug on that useless DC we imported from San Diego after Year 1.

Heck, why do you hire a guy that went 1-15 in his only other gig in that role?

On a staff where his DADDY was the head coach 😤😤

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Through seven games, the Skins have either been 2-5, 3-4 or 4-3 in 16 of the last 17 seasons.</p>— Dan Steinberg (@dcsportsbog) <a href="https://twitter.com/dcsportsbog/status/925776920318496769?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 1, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">They've been 2-5 six times, 3-4 six times (including this year), 4-3 four times, and 5-2 once.</p>— Dan Steinberg (@dcsportsbog) <a href="https://twitter.com/dcsportsbog/status/925777185885097985?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 1, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Yawning or no imho Jay needs to gtfo of play calling duties. I see no reason we cannot promote someone to play caller already on the team either.

Okay... the "Doc" in Docsandy has a minor factoid to put out there...

Fact: Yawning is not 100% a sign of boredom (though there are studies that SUPPORT this, but not prove it). One popular belief is that it signals that the brain needs oxygen; more recently there's been studies in the UK that shows yawning is a sign that the brain needs to "cool down" and think more clearly.

Okay I'll shut up now... I need people talking to me come Sunday <grin>.

Personally I don't care. Would it bother me if it happened a lot,probably. Chances are even Gibbs I yawned on occasion on the sideline during his glory years considering the hours he kept at Redskins Park... but I don't remember issues being made of that. We all yawn. Any animal with a spine yawns. We in good company (and some not-so-good)...

Me, of course, being a stats guy, had to pull up the actual stats on this, to settle it once and for all.

GC = Games Coached
TY = Total Yawnage.
YPG = Average Yawnage Per Game

Jay Gruden - Head Coach of Washington Redskins

GC TY YPG
55 1 .018

Gruden is definitely in the top EYA (Earned Yawn Average), of all Head Coaches over the last 10 years.
I'd be far more concerned with players yawning during games, than the occasional grasp of brain oxygen from a coach.

Fact: Yawning is not 100% a sign of boredom (though there are studies that SUPPORT this, but not prove it). One popular belief is that it signals that the brain needs oxygen; more recently there's been studies in the UK that shows yawning is a sign that the brain needs to "cool down" and think more clearly.<grin>

Both explain the play-calling... nyuk, nyuk, nyuk...

</grin>

As nobody else seems to be willing to address the elephant in the room -

Covering your mouth when yawning.
Well, first of all nobody wants to view your your last meal, pretty simple.

But if the hand is over the mouth (right or left) then who knows if your yawning...or just passing gas?
Hand signals can used to warn others - right hand; yawn. Left hand; clear out.

pfffft

[Exits stage right, covers mouth] cue sound fx.

As nobody else seems to be willing to address the elephant in the room -

Covering your mouth when yawning.
Well, first of all nobody wants to view your your last meal, pretty simple.

But if the hand is over the mouth (right or left) then who knows if your yawning...or just passing gas?
Hand signals can used to warn others - right hand; yawn. Left hand; clear out.

pfffft

[Exits stage right, covers mouth] cue sound fx.

Why you gotta bring me into it?

It's not the yawn, or the perception some have of the yawn, that makes Gruden a poor coach. He just is...he is the offensive version of Jim Schwartz.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 5, Members: 0, Guests: 5)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.