• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

Yup. Todays was definitely a "glad it's over and glad we got the win" kind of game. I thought we would be ok up to that last head scratching offensive series. Didn't even really try to get the first down to ice the game. Played not too lose. Bullet dodged. Even with the beat up secondary, I thought Manusky should have got after the rookie. We definitely need some help at RB and it needs to be an off season priority.

Adrian Peterson today:

26 carries, 126 yards, 2 touchdowns.

If he's over the hill, we need some of that here ðŸ'Œ

I feel pretty fortunate that the 49ers can't catch. Especially that rookie TE.

The last two minutes of that game sucked, but I'm very grateful. It wasn't fun at the end there but I'll take it.

Atlanta lost to Miami, and the Giants without OBJ and Brandon Marshall are actually up 17-3 at Denver right now.

A few other notes: D Hall is eligible to return next week. With Norman and Breeland potentially out, the timing couldn't be better. Even if we can only get three games out of him.

Martavis Bryant has requested a trade from the Steelers. He's only 25 and he's incredible when he's not smoking pot. We already seem to be having problems with distribution to Doctson and Crowder, so it's probably unlikely. But he's a special talent.

Next week's MNF features two of the top teams in the NFC. I can't wait!

Is it troubling to anyone else that it's year four of the Gruden era and he still has trouble managing timeout usage and general situational awareness?

Hell, he bailed Kyle out late with the game clock at zero and he calls TO while on defense!

Or 3rd and 5 and a first down seals the game and he doesn't pass to get it? Puts our banged up defense right back on the field.

Gotta have smarter decisions from the HC.......

Is it troubling to anyone else that it's year four of the Gruden era and he still has trouble managing timeout usage and general situational awareness?

Hell, he bailed Kyle out late with the game clock at zero and he calls TO while on defense!

Or 3rd and 5 and a first down seals the game and he doesn't pass to get it? Puts our banged up defense right back on the field.

Gotta have smarter decisions from the HC.......

And he calls the timeout when the 49ers were 1 second away from a delay of game.

A lot of QBs snap the ball with the clock at 1 second or less. No problem with the time out there.
As far as the 3rd and 6 with under 2 minutes remaining that was the correct call as it kept the clock running. An incomplete pass would have stopped the clock with what 1:40 or so left in the game and punting instead of :57 seconds or so left in the game

Yeah, I get that but to me they didn't even look like they realized the clock was about to go out.

A lot of QBs snap the ball with the clock at 1 second or less. No problem with the time out there.
As far as the 3rd and 6 with under 2 minutes remaining that was the correct call as it kept the clock running. An incomplete pass would have stopped the clock with what 1:40 or so left in the game and punting instead of :57 seconds or so left in the game

Disagree.

The short passing game was the reason the offense had any success yesterday. A first down puts the game away and our banged up defense never gets back on the field.

You got CT,Reed and Davis or Kirk on a roll out. Quit playing scared and get the first down and let the offense win the game.

Agreed. With 1:48 left on the clock and 2 timeouts the 49ers made a mistake by onside kicking the ball and not kicking deep.

The Redskins made a major mistake by not jumping on the 49ers on that first down at the 49ers 47 yard line by throwing a ball to seal this game to Reed or Grant or Crowder.

At that point we had lost Jonathan Allen, Breeland, and Moreau had a hamstring. The defense was beat up and wasn't going to hold up to another 49ers drive.

You need to go for the jugular there and the Redskins meekly ran the ball 3 times with a guy in Perine who averages 2 yards a carry.

You aren't going to get a first down and kill the game doing that.

As I have said before this team really needs to find a capable back. We have to find a veteran on the street or via trade that can execute basic plays.

Perine in that last possession lost 2 yards on first down by simply not following the play as called and running inside. Instead he went outside.

That followed an entire game full of runs where we got zero productivity from Perine and Brown.

With the defensive personnel that were hurt in this game and with Josh Norman out another couple of weeks, Gruden is going to HAVE TO take some more risks to beat the Eagles on Monday night.

We need to be much more aggressive in trying to win the game rather than trying to hold on and play conservatively.

Observations:

1- Player of the game was very likely Mr. Dunbar. Excellent, excellent game.

2- Ryan Grant is still not explosive, but he comes through every time we need him. I think I say something about him every week and it's well earned every single week. Very underappreciated.

3- Doctson flashes again, but then went missing again.

4- Chris Thompson saw entirely too much action as the primary back for my liking yesterday. He's in on short yardage situation as the only back. I don't mind him there with split backs or as a wing or slot. But as the primary back, and then having him carry the ball? Doesn't make sense on many angles. It's putting mileage on his legs and frame and increasing fatigue which decreases his ability to hit the home run late in the game when the D is tiring. Later, in a short yardage situation, Perine was in there and he got stopped before the marker and he managed to keep his feet moving and picked up the first down. That's what we should be doing in those situations. Letting our power back be the power back.

5- The defense is a walking mash unit and they came out after 17-0 completely comatose. It was scary to watch. They had no bounce or excitement. It was like they thought the game was over. There are certain exceptions for certain players, but all in all I was disappointed in the defense yesterday as a whole.

6- The Vernon Davis fumble was the second worst call in all of the games yesterday. The Austin Sefarian-Jenkins fumble call was not only worse, but it lapped it. Twice. Yikes.

7- Speaking of Vernon... He continues to be the best receiving tight end on the roster so far this season. Waiting for Reed to show up.

8- I have a problem with the timeout prior to the delay of game call on SF. Maybe we missed it and the timeout was called with 6-8 seconds left on the play clock and that's why it looked so strange... But if we called that late in the play clock I am mortified.

9- The drive following the onsides kick had me livid. I understand the 'Skins wanted SF to use their timeouts, so they ran the ball. But there are high percentage ways to do that that are much more conducive to picking up a first down and ending the game right there. When there is that much time left on the clock, you need to gain a first down. How about a rollout pass with Cousins, where if there is nothing there he can tuck and go? If he throws to an open receiver and its dropped, it doesn't make the playcall poor, it makes the receiver poor.

10- Even though I stated above that we need to use Perine in short yardage, he clearly missed a few holes/called plays during the game. That is also quite scary. But let's keep it in perspective... he's a rookie that was on cruise control in the NCAA due to is size/strength/leverage. Patience is a virtue with him.

11- I liked Swearinger getting that penalty in that little scuffle with Garcon. I'm usually not one for that kind of crap, but Garcon seemed to be running his mouth about hurting one of our guys, and DJ let him know he wasn't okay with that. That's the swagger this defense has been missing. An edge that can't be taught. I know it allowed them to score more points, but in that situation, with the D starting to falter, it's okay to show a little fire and grit and show that you've got your guys backs. I wish he didn't cost us that many yards and he only chirped, but you get that with a fiery guy like Swearinger. And I'd rather have him around than not have him around.

12- You know who our offense misses? Pierre Garcon.

Last edited:
Great post KDawg. I am more positive about Doctson - but perhaps that's because I really thought he was done as an NFL player when we heard he was still having health issues mid-offseason. So glad I was wrong. Slowly but surely, he's becoming a bigger part of this offense. They just need to continue to grow him and get the ball in his hands more. If Pryor can improve and Doctson develop, we would have the most potent group of pass catchers in the league (that's including TEs and RBs).

I hear what you are saying about the defense, but I will say that watching those last 2 minutes, with everything on the line, every Redskins fan in America had already resigned themselves to a gut-wrenching, week-ruining loss. We've watched it transpire so many countless times over the past 20 years, it was a foregone conclusion. The Redskins had outplayed San Fran most of the afternoon, and were going to nullify all of that effort over the span of a couple minutes. We were going to give up a couple of long runs, or 25 yard passes, and lose that game.

Instead, we saw the D tighten up, totally shut down the 49ers, and make the crucial play to seal the deal. And we did it with some very key players on the sidelines. I think it's important to give them credit for those last couple of minutes.

Always pleased with a win. Yeah, it should've been 34-7. But after beginning with a Good Spurt, our current starting QB, Spurt Cousins, went AWOL, and became Bad Spurt. Indecisive, and inaccurate. Luckily for us, Good Spurt reappeared at the end to help get the win.

We need Spurt Cousins to be Good Spurt, for the entire game next Monday.

I'm nervous to hear MRI results Jonathan Allen, Breeland, and get updates on Montae Nicholson, McClure, and Moreau. Hopefully all are just banged up - because if not, I have no idea who we'll have out there in the defensive backfield next week. :yikes:

Great post KDawg. I am more positive about Doctson - but perhaps that's because I really thought he was done as an NFL player when we heard he was still having health issues mid-offseason. So glad I was wrong. Slowly but surely, he's becoming a bigger part of this offense. They just need to continue to grow him and get the ball in his hands more. If Pryor can improve and Doctson develop, we would have the most potent group of pass catchers in the league (that's including TEs and RBs).

I hear what you are saying about the defense, but I will say that watching those last 2 minutes, with everything on the line, every Redskins fan in America had already resigned themselves to a gut-wrenching, week-ruining loss. We've watched it transpire so many countless times over the past 20 years, it was a foregone conclusion. The Redskins had outplayed San Fran most of the afternoon, and were going to nullify all of that effort over the span of a couple minutes. We were going to give up a couple of long runs, or 25 yard passes, and lose that game.

Instead, we saw the D tighten up, totally shut down the 49ers, and make the crucial play to seal the deal. And we did it with some very key players on the sidelines. I think it's important to give them credit for those last couple of minutes.

Agreed with giving the D some credit. But they wouldn't have been in that situation if they didn't leave Garcon, Goodwin and Robinson uncovered on three separate plays. And it would have been worse if Mr. "I'm not Kerry" Kittles could catch. Yes, they answered the call on the last drive, but there were too many opportunities for them to seal the game and blew the opportunities.

I am hoping Norman is good to go Monday. Norman and Dunbar isn't a bad combo (although, judging by the Skins subbing, they are keeping guys in a particular depth chart... So it may be Norman and Moreau with Fuller in the slot... But we'll see.)

Norman is the defensive catalyst. He plays, and if he's 80% of what he normally is and you'll see a better defense on the field.

And to clarify because I think I left it open to interpretation: I'm not blaming Doctson or Reed for not doing more. I'm unsure why they aren't doing more. It could be on them. It cold be injuries. It could be the play calling/game plan. It could be the quarterback not throwing their way. It could be anything. It's just Doctson isn't involved enough at this point, in my opinion, and Reed isn't doing what he's capable of. The why is still a question.

I think it's a lot simpler than that. In 2016, you had Garcon and Jackson getting 21% each of the passing yards, Crowder 18%, and Jordan Reed 14%. 3 WRs accounted for 60% of our passing yards.

This year, a running back has the largest % of our receiving yards, Chris Thompson with 27%, followed by a TE, Vernon Davis, with 18% of our receiving yards. Pryor, Grant, and Crowder are our next biggest producers, but none of them has more than 17% of our production.

So far this year, our top 3 WRs account for just 39% of our receiving yards.

One could argue that having non-WRs as our top 2 leading receivers means that we don't have top tier talent at the WR position. But I think it's more a reflection of Kirk spreading the ball around to numerous weapons. Personally - I think our offense is much more effective overall this year, simply because teams don't know where the ball is going on any given play.

Hey BB, just fyi - we have [tweet] tags now you can use - just enclose the long digits at the end of a tweet url in the [tweet]/[/tweet] tags to display the tweet as it shows up on Twitter.

Disagree.

The short passing game was the reason the offense had any success yesterday. A first down puts the game away and our banged up defense never gets back on the field.

You got CT,Reed and Davis or Kirk on a roll out. Quit playing scared and get the first down and let the offense win the game.

That wasn't playing scared. The clock keeps running 100 percent on a run. You only have a 50/50 chance of the clock running on a pass. If they were trailing or tied the pass would have been called in that situation. Getting the first down would be nice but more importantly keeping the clock moving is also important. An incomplete ball a sack fumble which has happened in the past, would be disastrous.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.