• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

Crowder has put the ball on the ground twice in three games. A rough patch for sure but shit happens. He has been a dangerous punt returner for years, including his time at Duke. He is a gamer and will take care of it.

Is there anything prettier than CT25 motoring through defenses?

First time in his career that a four man rush got to Carr and sacked him

By year end Cravens may be considered a defensive MVP for quitting and therefore letting Nicholson get those reps.

Young players stepping up and making plays on defense
Fuller with a pick
Nicholson with a pick
Allen with 2 half sacks
Iandioss with a half sack
Smith with a sack

it appears being in a contract year has worked wonders for Preston Smith :)

from what we have read Ziggy Hood took Matt Ioannidis under his wing and helped him improve his strength in the offseason so he has come back a different player than the one that was cut last September despite being a #5 pick.

the young defensive backs are all athletic and seem to have good hands. thankfully, the days of Carlos Rogers and Brandon Merriweather may just be behind us.

and the unspoken................Jonathan Allen after 3 games is near the top of the defense in terms of total snaps from scrimmage.

he's a clear three-down player and we haven't had many of those on the DL in the past 20 years that I can remember.

I agree that Chris Thompson is the offensive MVP so far, lucky thing we were able to get him locked up with a new contract.

Gruden is right that we can't give him 25-30 touches per game, he will wear down.

But in that 15-18 range consistently, I am hopeful he can play 16 games for us.

With Cousins bouncing back along with the offensive line, the two things that concern me are Jordan Reed, who seems to get hurt from just having people look at him in practice.....and the outside receivers.

Crowder is not stepping up into that Wes Welker type role as a slot receiver who can catch 80 balls to take the pressure off.

He seems like he is being exposed now that defenses are paying attention to him with no Garcon and Jackson on the outside.

Pryor contributed 2 catches for 19 yards last night.

Those are the kind of stats you expect from a backup tight end in an offense that just threw for 350 yards, not from a #1 or even #2 starter.

At some point, Brian Quick and Maurice Harris are going to have to get a shot to play regular snaps if things don't improve.

Perhaps Pryor will improve markedly as the season goes on, but what we are seeing is why the Redskins didn't give him more than a one year contract for $6M.

But again, one would expect more than 2 catches for 19 yards. Quick and Harris would produce far better than that IMO.

Pryor yardage will come. Kirk took a more conservative approach a few times he said Pryor was the intended target but looked for other recievers after seeing coverage.
I think I read prior to this game the last 2 seasons the redskins were 1-5 when reed didn't play.

Trying to select a defensive player of the night? Write down about 10 names, toss them into your favorite 'Skins hat, mix them up and choose one. Odds are, you'll find a deserving player. - Jay Gruden

Preston Smith is not in a contract year. He is signed through the 2018 season.

Preston Smith is not in a contract year. He is signed through the 2018 season.

Yup the suspended guy is the one who is in the contract year with the defense playing so good I don't know who they would cut to bring him back

DJ hit Lynch so hard he forgot how to dance

Reading CSN this morning and they put up these stats...

Redskins' NFL Rankings

— Offense (yards/game): 273.7 (8th)
— Defense (yards/game): 272.0 (5th)
— Points for: 71 (13th)
— Points against: 60 (9th)

— Passer rating offense: 105.3 (6th)
— Opp passer rating: 81.2 (8th)
— Yards/rush attempt: 4.5 (7)

— Opp. yards/rush attempt: 3.2 (7th)

Now apart from that Points For rank being a little outside the top 10 (and I suspect if our offense can keep clicking like last week then we may be moving upwards there) I don't think I've seen an overall better set of rankings for the Skins for a while now. Defense looks legit!

Looking forward to the Chiefs this week, their Defense doesn't look all that on paper, we could be on for the upset again.

Now... I may be getting optimistic here...(more so than usual) but is it possible that both our D and our O have really only started to scratch the surface of where we could be?

I feel like this Defense COULD (and that's a big COULD) really grow to be something good. Last week showed the potential we have on that side of the ball, it's a young defense that seems to have found leaders and last week looked better than I've seen a Defense in Washington play in years.

And our Offense has always shown that it could put up points. It looked great last week and I still felt we left points on the table last week. Last week FELT like a game that should have been 45-0 instead of the 27-10 it ended up as.

I'm really excited for this week to see what happens. While I'm typically afraid we'll see a regression, I REALLY want this trend to continue. Every season there's a dark horse team that seems to come out of nowhere and push for the play offs and the superbowl. Last year it was the Cowboys to some degree, wouldn't it be nice if this year it was us on the strength of a new defense.

I can dream! LOL

Monday's game against KC will be a far better barometer of where the team is than the last 3 weeks. Reid has generally always put together very qualified teams even if they fall short and KC has again looked to be a major player in the AFC since Reid took over. The worst part, I hate waiting til Monday.

The NFL is a 'week to week' league. Drawing any kind of definitive conclusions from a game or even two or three is usually fool's gold. We've improved every week so far and that's great to see. Like all of you, the team that won last week looked to me to put forward one of the best overall team efforts that I've seen in a long, long time.

I think it meant something, don't get me wrong. It's pretty subjective, but I like the *attitude* this team seems to have. Short memory on offense when mistakes do happen, pound the ball even if it's not yielding huge chunks of yardage, and very game and aggressive on D. I don't think I've seen more 'swarming' to the ball, great tackling, and aggressiveness both in terms of pass rush and secondary play in a long, long time. Early assessment of Manusky is that we may have found a hidden gem. I think the Raiders are actually a superior team compared to KC. But Monday night will be another big test.

The NFL is a 'week to week' league. Drawing any kind of definitive conclusions from a game or even two or three is usually fool's gold. We've improved every week so far and that's great to see. Like all of you, the team that won last week looked to me to put forward one of the best overall team efforts that I've seen in a long, long time.

I think it meant something, don't get me wrong. It's pretty subjective, but I like the *attitude* this team seems to have. Short memory on offense when mistakes do happen, pound the ball even if it's not yielding huge chunks of yardage, and very game and aggressive on D. I don't think I've seen more 'swarming' to the ball, great tackling, and aggressiveness both in terms of pass rush and secondary play in a long, long time. Early assessment of Manusky is that we may have found a hidden gem. I think the Raiders are actually a superior team compared to KC. But Monday night will be another big test.

Totally agree, it's the trend I'm talking about.

As you said we've played better every week, and I don't feel like we've actually peaked yet. As I said, I think we left points on the table against the Raiders and also gifted them 10.

Traditionally I've always been an optimist, but also feared that we'll also return to the bad habits at some point, or regress somewhere. Last year for instance when we won it was great, but in reality in the back of my mind I always knew that we were a flawed team. Run game struggles, our terrible defense and our Offence one Kirk no show away from defeat.

This year already feels, to me anyway, different.

Feels topsy turvy in that it almost seems like or D is our strength at the moment, and I don't think it's finished improving. I hope not anyway.

Our Offense just needs to show that it can perform close to last year and it's starting to do that, even our Run game has been consistent more or less (though with a multitude of RB's)

Special Teams has been solid for us for a while, and the issues there feel like a glitch. I'd wager Crowder won't muff another punt all seasons and I still have faith that Hopkins can return to form.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, that this is the first time in a LONG time that I've felt this team feels solid in all three phases of the game. It feels like the last three weeks we've been watching something happen, a growth. Might be a false dawn, God knows we're seen those before!, but I can't help but feel this is sustainable this time. You're right, it is WAY too early to tell right now, and the Chiefs game will give us a big reference point. I think if you replayed that Eagles game again this week we'd win it, I bet the team wished it could have that game as a do-over.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 5, Members: 0, Guests: 5)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.