• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

I tend to agree Bulldog but it's Id point out that some players, physical talent level aside, are just ballers. And God knows we've had plenty of physically gifted players who just never could learn to play the position or he poor football instincts. I don't think you can simply look at measurables as some end all be all assessment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tend to agree Bulldog but it's Id point out that some players, physical talent level aside, are just ballers. And God knows we've had plenty of physically gifted players who just never could learn to play the position or he poor football instincts. I don't think you can simply look at measurables as some end all be all assessment.

Madden syndrome... 'but he's rated an 84 in madden, he has to be better then the guy rated 79....' He might have the physical tangibles to 'rate' but if he dont know where to be on a play, how deep to make a cut, how to instinctively cut back.. that's all the human factor that can't be truly rated.

In other words, McCloughan's motto: Looking for "football players".

I agree, you can't look at measurables and ignore the intangibles.

But with players that don't separate clearly on 'proven ability' on the field or 'football instincts' (admittedly subjective per the coach or GM), you have to try and project who can handle the physical demands of playing in the premiere competitive league we have.

Yes, a receiver that is 5'9 and 185 can make it in the NFL.

But a receiver that has a similar work ethic but is 6'3 and 210 and just as fast has better odds most of the time.

A couple of interesting tweets from Scot. Yeah I know, he's gone but the Grant one is at least humorous. The other probably would have made for an interesting camp that year.

NuRyanGrant.jpg

NuMariota.jpg

I would have kept Maurice Harris over Grant. Kid is going to be a productive receiver for somebody. Grant on the other hand.... meeeeeh

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Su'a Cravens told some Redskins on Saturday he plans to retire, but a meeting with team officials has changed his mind for now, per sources.</p>— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/904357567001972737">September 3, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

What a great pick...... /sarcasm

Here is where I am going to depart from Scot McCloughan.

With the Redskins needing an infusion of 'no-fooling' blue chip talent on defense, I would not have taken a player that is a tweener and basically has to learn to play an entirely different position in the NFL with such a high pick.

These type of transitions are OK with guys taken later, 5th our 6th rounder, etc.

But in Rounds 1 and 2 you need to be 'no nonsense' and take guys that project to a definite position and have a realistic chance of coming in and taking over that spot sooner rather than later as a professional.

Even if Cravens is 100% committed to football (which may not now be the case) his transition to the NFL first as a linebacker and now to safety is no slam dunk.

We really need more out of that #53 overall pick at this point.

We could have used a DT that could stop the run, an edge rusher, a starting caliber safety (who had played that in college).

We could also have used a OG replacement for Shawn Lauvao.

Too bad Nico Marley isn't big enough for the pro game. Teriffic motor and drive.

Here is where I am going to depart from Scot McCloughan.

With the Redskins needing an infusion of 'no-fooling' blue chip talent on defense, I would not have taken a player that is a tweener and basically has to learn to play an entirely different position in the NFL with such a high pick.

These type of transitions are OK with guys taken later, 5th our 6th rounder, etc.

But in Rounds 1 and 2 you need to be 'no nonsense' and take guys that project to a definite position and have a realistic chance of coming in and taking over that spot sooner rather than later as a professional.

Even if Cravens is 100% committed to football (which may not now be the case) his transition to the NFL first as a linebacker and now to safety is no slam dunk.

We really need more out of that #53 overall pick at this point.

We could have used a DT that could stop the run, an edge rusher, a starting caliber safety (who had played that in college).

We could also have used a OG replacement for Shawn Lauvao.

Reportedly Cravens had the same reservations in college. That should have been a HUGE red flag.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Skins placing Cravens on non-football exempt list. He'll be gone a month, at least.</p>— Mike Jones (@MikeJonesWaPo) <a href="https://twitter.com/MikeJonesWaPo/status/904374880333901824">September 3, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Is there a correlation between the retirement talk, and the "non-football exempt list" ?
He had a knee injury. Isn't that football related ?
So, does that mean there's a special exempt designation for people toying with the retirement idea ?
Seems odd.

So much for being a 'warrior' and a 'football player'. I swear to God this team is cursed and it's almost impossible to stay excited as a fan.

We will be better off with Everette,Nicholson and Harvey-Clemmons.

According to the NFL.com website Cravens has a week to come back to the team or else he is off the roster for the year.

It's akin to the 'left camp/retired' list that John Riggins was put on in 1980 when he went home to Kansas.

Cravens is no slam dunk starter at safety for Washington. He's was basically a rookie learning a new spot.

I am surprised with this going on in the background that the Redskins weren't at least interested in talking to the Bucs about JJ Wilcox or the Broncos about TJ Ward.

So much for being a 'warrior' and a 'football player'. I swear to God this team is cursed and it's almost impossible to stay excited as a fan.

Can't help but to think about Preston Smith, another draftee of SM, and another guy who's been accused of being "half into it", and maybe the next guy to fall out of the picture.
Right now, his 2015 and 2016 drafts are looking pretty weak, so it's beginning to look like his skills and ability to find "football players" are over-rated. Maybe the Skins did the right thing by letting him go, and maybe it wasn't about his drinking or a political power struggle ?

Let's face it, McCloughan as much as anyone else was going on measurables.

Preston Smith has the size, length and quickness that projects to the NFL. Ditto for Cravens.

But I don't think based on what we have seen that either Smith or Cravens is a 'warrior' or '110 percent effort' guy.

Smith has by all accounts had issues staying focused on actually playing football after he got his signing bonus and started enjoying going out and living the NFL lifestyle.

Meanwhile from what we are reading Cravens evidently decided to pack it in last year and skip the last few weeks of the season, ruffling some feathers of other players on the team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 5, Members: 0, Guests: 5)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.