• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

I agree Kel, but it may be hard to prove. Especially if Mike Shanahan is whispering things to KC.

To be honest I don't have a lot of faith or trust in the Shanahans.

I don't trust them either. And yes it's really hard to prove. I just think this would be unprecedented if they were talking to him now. Even if it's Mike doing the talking. Although, if it is Mike we will know. He won't be able to wait to tell everyone he tampered. Just like Colonel Jessup, he will just be begging for someone to ask him so he can confess.

Only 2 players eligible for tomorrow's Supplemental Draft :

Georgia Military DE Tavares Bingham (6-4, 290)
Western New Mexico RB Marques Rodgers

Most likely, neither player will be drafted by any team.
Bingham has good size, but played little the last couple years, so a team would have to be willing to invest a couple years in him at least, after inviting him to camp.

Last edited:
Hey, today is my 8th anniversary here. How time flies. Thanks to those whose hard work has allowed me to waste so much of my time on this site. :tears_of_joy:

You know who you are. :notworthy:

Today is this awesome community's 8th birthday. We went live on this date back in 2009. That was an exciting day - and it's no surprise that you were one of our first member's Chris. So glad you and all of our other great folks found us and made this your home :cheers:

Happy Birthday BGO!

One of our primary thread search tools is being worked on right now - so as far as the first official thread or non-staff post, I can't speak to that with any certainty. We were posting threads and having discussions months and months before we actually officially opened for business.

This is one of the early, early threads and some opening day posts.

https://www.bgobsession.com/5-oclock-club/292-hi-there.html

Funny enough, our wonderful friend servumtuum who we had gotten to know over on 'The Noosphere' - our first attempt at building and running a vBulletin board (sadly, we had to make the decision to move on from 'TN' as we called it - it's no more) - found us and was posting well before we were actually open.

What an amazing 8 years it's been...

I would love it I could somehow subscribe to Scot McCloughan's scouting service.

Is it just me or does Kirk's agent seem the type that would moonlight for ISIS?

Burner I thought you could subscribe to McCloughan's service if you were willing to pay the $500,000 fee :)

Be cheaper to just hang out at Mr McGloo's favorite bar and hope to overhear some shoptalk. :)

What....................too soon?

I wish Kirk well.

In 2018 he will be going to a team that was 2-14 this season and is likely to be a 3 or 4 win club next year. So, he will be back to where he was here in 2013-2014.

He's going to make the money one way or another. Whether he ever is in a position to win anything is another question.

A lot of times with quarterbacks the correct LONG-TERM answer is to say 'NO' :)

So few players become true franchise quarterbacks for 8-10 years if they are not already that when they sign these big contracts.

Look at two deals that were signed - Flacco and Luck.

Those contracts have prevented Baltimore and Indianapolis from using free agency to help upgrade their rosters at critical spots in recent seasons.

In Flacco's case you can point to a Super Bowl win where he had a run similar to Mark Rypien in 1991 and say the Ravens are simply paying it back to a guy that brought home the championship.

But in Washington Cousins hasn't done anything but go 9-7 and lose in the playoffs by 20 plus points at home to the Packers.

If Cousins was 25 and in his third season with two 4,000 yard passing years behind him, it might be a different story.

But Cousins is 29 in 2017.

While quarterbacks do age better than most other positions in the NFL, there are FEW that emerge as elite performers at or near 30 in recent history.

You can go back into the pre-free agency or early free agency years and point to a guy like Rich Gannon or going way back to a guy like Jim Plunkett that blew up after 30 and took teams to the Super Bowl.

But the irony is that both of those players were acquired for minimum or no compensation from their former clubs.

The one rule with quarterbacks is you pay true franchise players.

Kirk by almost everyone's account, media - fellow players - GMs agree that he is not at that level.

His skills in fact may have already hit a plateau.

So let's go out to that magical tree where quality QB's fall and get one, history has shown we're capable.

Come on.

Are you really going to tie ALL the team's future hopes to Kirk Cousins?

He's a capable passer and on an otherwise GREAT team like the Redskins had in 1982 or 1991 might be able to win something of consequence.

But he's not in the class of a passer that is going to make up for his big salary hit by raising the team on his shoulders. Giving him $25 or $26M a year is going to cost the team chances to resign a number of key younger players we drafted over the past several years that are headed to free agency.

If the Redskins took Kirk Cousins in the 4th round, the Seahawks took Wilson in the 3rd round, Dallas took Prescott in the 4th round, and even going back great qbs like Montana (3rd round), Brett Favre (2nd round) and Drew Brees (2nd round) were selected after that 29th pick, then I would support the idea that going forward teams will be able to find capable quarterbacks.

2018 seems to be a much more promising draft for qb talent in terms of depth than 2016 or 2017 and that in part may indicate why the Redskins did not use a #2 or #3 pick on a young quarterback to sit behind Cousins right away.

As an organization you can't be beholden to someone else's history.

Alex Santos and Doug Williams were not in charge when picks for Heath Shuler, Patrick Ramsey and Jason Campbell were made.

Given the solid drafts this team has had in 2014, 2015 and 2016 and a promising one in 2017, I would think this team can draft a quarterback that can start and produce in this league.

Come on.

Are you really going to tie ALL the team's future hopes to Kirk Cousins?

I don't know where you get this notion. Myself, and many others around here have all mentioned he has his faults. His most glaring is his inability to step it up and carry the team in the past 2 seasons with our season on the line. I remember Peyton Manning having some difficult playoff games early on.

Most of us say he is the type that would need a strong supporting cast to win it all, but he is capable and if you don't believe see that, you're fooling yourself.

We have a top ten QB in the NFL on our roster, who can consistently win games...as he's proven over 2 years. I bet there are at least 2o teams in the NFL who would want him as their QB. This organization cannot keep a top 10 QB, but you want to pin your hopes on the idea that they can produce one in the upcoming off-season for a couple years down the road.

The money? It's what good QB's will be making in this league for years to come...just watch what Jameis Winston gets if he continues to progress.

For me it comes down this ... the team isn't in love enough with Kirk to throw "whatever it takes" numbers at him, and Kirk isn't in love with the team enough to sign anything short of whatever he and his agent think his "true market value" is. The result? The team uses the franchise tag option to do exactly what it was created for--to keep a player they want to keep for another year when they and the player are too far apart on a LTD to get it done.

So we head into 2017 with a QB who once again is gambling on himself, and his health, hoping to come out the other end in at worst the same position he's in now. Leveraged in a QB-starved league and hoping the stars align for him either here or elsewhere.

I went through many of the same early reactions most of you did ... pissed at the team one minute, pissed at the QB and his agent another, pissed at the true business the NFL has become. After a couple days, though, I'm really ok with where we are. Nothing happened we haven't vetted over and over again here since last season ended. We have a motivated QB heading into the season. We are NOT wedded financially for the next five years to a guy almost all of us agree is a good, but likely never great, NFL quarterback.

My biggest concern/question right now isn't whether we'll end up paying Kirk stupid money down the road, or end up going in another direction either of our own accord or simply because he really and truly doesn't ever intend to sign a LTD here. My biggest question is whether or not we have lost our way again in the front office ... losing Scot M. wasn't the bottom line, not going out and finding another "legit proven GM" to replace him was.

All the QB talk is the tree ... the forest is whether or not "the team" has a brain to figure out how to build and sustain a team solid enough where having a real QB can push them into legit contender status.

The money? It's what good QB's will be making in this league for years to come...just watch what Jameis Winston gets if he continues to progress.

And Jameis is only 23. There will be a ton of crab legs in his future. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.