• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

I'm fine with that. I think the combo of Reed, Crowder, Pryor, and Doctson (if he really has overcome the achilles issues) will quickly make us forget how irreplaceable Garcon and Jackson were.

The 'they were better than what we are going to put on the field this year' argument doesn't hold water for me. If every NFL player had to sign one year contracts that would be fine. But that's not how the math works. To retain one or both of them we would have had to sign multi-year deals, and the calculation was that it wasn't worth it and that their production was going to be on the decline. We never know if that is true until we know it. I don't think it was an irresponsible move, that's all I'm saying.

I am not attaching some sentiment to the Garcon signing, I would dump any player on this team tomorrow if it meant the team got better. I am simply stating he is the veteran leadership at the position we lack and will remain a 1000 yard, clutch performer at that position provided he stays healthy, which he has most of his career. We could easily have afforded the contract he signed and still brought Pryor in. Who would we lose? Ryan Grant!

I'd have kept Garcon - but he may not have wanted to be here - I don't know. But let's not turn him into Jerry Rice either. Garcon disappeared for long stretches in more than a few games. He's not irreplaceable. We are a pass happy offense with an accurate QB - whoever our starters are, they are going to get some serious yards. Not taking anything away from Garcon - loved him. I have heard you make the 'leadership' argument before. While I normally buy into that, I'm not sure at a skill position like WR it really adds much. Linebacker or even OL - sure - but WR?

As much as I appreciated Garcon he was not a game changer. In my mind he was reliable, steady, and a product of the system. Pryor has upside that Pierre never had. If Pryor's preparation translates to the field Garcon will become an afterthought. Let's see what his production is like in in SF with no qb.

I will also add that the love Redskins fans seem to have for players that have never taken a snap for the burgundy and gold is a phenomenon just as powerful as fan loyalty, and generally just as misplaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably more. Human nature is to desire what you don't have.

Well, and see this is how the Redskins operate. It makes perfect to hem and haw with Cousins. We run the risk of overpaying him. It makes perfect sense to let Garçon go. It makes perfect sense to let Jackson go. Those guys were old and wanted too much money or they didn't want to be here or they were overrated or one guy from Cleveland that we signed to a one year deal is as good as both of them put together.

But after all of this perfectly logical thinking, the team has managed to completely gut the one part of the team that actually kept us in games. From what I can tell Gruden is just such an amazing coach that we can stick anyone in any spot and not miss a beat. Well, let's hope so. I'm not sure I'm convinced.

Completely gut? Lol

The two most important parts of the offense are still in place with Cousins and Reed. Crowder is still here. Davis is still here. Pryor adds a tall, fast, wideout who appears to have a great work ethic and is motivated. Plus there is a highly regarded 1st round pick from last season who hopefully will live up to expectations. Add Perine, subtract Jones, and the prospect of an improved run game isn't a crazy thought.

Yes. Removing two 1000 yard receivers and a 4000 yard passer would be completely gutting a passing game. I like Reed a lot but he's not the center of our universe and I wouldn't count on him to be so.

Sorry. I didn't realize Cousins won't be here. I missed that. :tears_of_joy:

I'm not saying our passing game will be terrible. I think it will probably be fine. But even so, it's a pretty big question mark. I don't think it needed to be. It would be nice for something on this team to be set. And right now if it's not the passing game it's nothin.

Sorry. I didn't realize Cousins won't be here. I missed that. :tears_of_joy:

I know, right? [emoji846]

I'm still holding out hope that we get him signed to a long term deal. If we don't though and he's gone next year, the amount of players we'll have managed to lose at our one area of strength would have been fairly staggering.

Change is a part of the NFL. Unfortunately, here because of Vinny and the past every departure of a decent to good player is worried over because of the fear of the team then bringing in a bust draft pick or a veteran that steals the money.

The truth is, this front office as constituted for the first time has had the chance to make moves in the draft and free agency as a lead partner rather than as a 'second' picking up votes 'outside' the room once the big dogs have decided everything.

The picks so far the past couple of years since 2014 have been solid overall, some of these guys have real upside.

And the free agents for once are ascending players like Pryor and Brown, mid-20's, productive seasons behind them and a chance to get better.

That's a paradigm shift from where we were.

You don't pay Garcon and Jackson at 30/31 rich contracts going forward 4-5 years because their production is most likely to slip due to age, injury, etc.

These aren't new thoughts. Bellichick has been swapping out players on this philosophy for the past 15 years as have the Steelers and Packers and that's why they continue to win.

Garçon signed a 5 year 47.5m deal with 20m GTD. Jackson signed a 3 year 33.5m deal with 20m GTD. Why would either have agreed to a 1 year deal at their age?

The Patriots win because they have Tom Brady. The Packers win because they have Aaron Rodgers. The Steelers win because they have Ben Roethlisberger.

When you have an elite QB it's a lot easier to take a flyer on some random draft pick or FA.

Again, we can rationalize away why we didn't sign our two top WRs but at the end of the day we lost them both, and for whatever reason we lost them it's gonna hurt.

Unless we have Tom Brady.

Last season-

Garcon- 79 rec, 1041 yds, 13.2 avg, 3 tds, 15 20+ yds, 65.1 ypg, 52 1dn

Pryor- 77 rec, 1007 yds, 13.1 avg, 4 tds, 11 20+ yds, 62.9 ypg, 48 1dn

Interesting to note that Pryor was targeted about 140 times while Garçon was targeted about 110 times, and they have basically the same numbers.

One could surmise that Garçon was targeted fewer times because he had Jackson on the other side. On the other side of Pryor this season we'll have ... Doctson? Shall we put his numbers up next to Jackson?

I know I know. Doctson is healthy this year and will therefore be awesome. I hope that's right.

As usual, Hope springs eternal in the nations capital.

Pryor was being thrown to by the murderers row of Kessler, McCown, and RG3, with Corey Coleman on the other side. Perhaps that could be a factor in both the number of targets and the target/completion ratio.

Interesting to note that Pryor was targeted about 140 times while Garçon was targeted about 110 times, and they have basically the same numbers.

One could surmise that Garçon was targeted fewer times because he had Jackson on the other side. On the other side of Pryor this season we'll have ... Doctson? Shall we put his numbers up next to Jackson?

I know I know. Doctson is healthy this year and will therefore be awesome. I hope that's right.

As usual, Hope springs eternal in the nations capital.

And apparently so does negativity :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 10, Members: 0, Guests: 10)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.