• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

I will get excited about this defense when we stop talking about creating pressure in the early offseason and actually sign , draft or trade for disrupters on the DL and genuine speed guys on the outside šŸ˜Š

Talk has been really cheap around here because as you all know the Redskins are the only team since 2000 that has not drafted a DL in the first round.

I don't care as much about what round we draft a guy in. But like everybody else, I'd love to see us draft some All pro defensive linemen.
Somebody that gives offensive coordinators nightmares.

Sitting here trying to recall off the top o' my head ... who was the last honest-to-god disruptive defensive down lineman we've had?

First name that jumps to mind is Charles Frickin' Mann. Is that possible?

I will get excited about this defense when we stop talking about creating pressure in the early offseason and actually sign , draft or trade for disrupters on the DL and genuine speed guys on the outside ��

Talk has been really cheap around here because as you all know the Redskins are the only team since 2000 that has not drafted a DL in the first round.

^^^ This. Blitzing sounds great, but it should be a tool to use at the right time. Never the staple of a pressure D..

Sitting here trying to recall off the top o' my head ... who was the last honest-to-god disruptive defensive down lineman we've had?

First name that jumps to mind is Charles Frickin' Mann. Is that possible?

Think you are right.

I'd say a slim argument could be made for Darrel Gardner. Granted we didn't draft him & he was only here 1 season to boot.

Albert Haynesworth.

Oh... you mean disruptive on the field...

Nick

I'd say a slim argument could be made for Darrel Gardner. Granted we didn't draft him & he was only here 1 season to boot.

That's fair.

In his one season here, 2002, he started 15 games, forced 2 fumbles, had seven sacks, 45 tackles, and was voted our defensive MVP.

Then he was gone.

Albert Haynesworth.

Oh... you mean disruptive on the field...

Nick

lol

No, wait.

That's not funny.

I will get excited about this defense when we stop talking about creating pressure in the early offseason and actually sign , draft or trade for disrupters on the DL and genuine speed guys on the outside šŸ˜Š

Its been pitiful. So desperate I would trade the entire draft for Cleve two first rounders, take Jonathan Allen.....heck even give them Cousins for their next year #1 and get the QB of the future to rebuild. Or trade the Cleve second first rounder plus cousins, move up for Fournette or Foster. We are in rebuild mode, like it or not, there has to be a plan, I don't see Kirk in the long term plans.

I'd agree the defensive line is in rebuild mode--hands down. As of today we don't have a single proven legit NFL starter on the roster. And it looks unless between now and September we add one via FA, we'll head into the season again without one. We could draft nothing BUT DL's in April, but that's no guarantee any one of them will be ready to start and contribute by opening day.

As to the team? If Cousins signs a LTD, our offense will be competitive at worst, with a chance of being pretty damn good again at best.

The rest of the defense, LB's and secondary, aren't "there" yet, but they're NFL quality if playing behind an NFL quality line and coaching.

Coaching? I know Jay Gruden is a lightning rod for fans, but as of right now I'd rate him as worth at least another full year to see if he can build on the last two years.

Ownership? That's another story for another day.

They're thin at LB. Very thin.

Kerrigan, Smith, Murphy, Foster, Compton
Bates - torn ACL. Galette (?)

Compton had more tackles in 8 games last year than everyone else on the roster has had in their combined careers.

Maybe Bates is OK after the tear but that was late in the year (Panthers) so I wouldn't count on it. Maybe they get a draftee who can come in and give you some snaps. Maybe one of those backups can come in. Maybe nobody will get hurt.

If we can find even decent starters in this draft for all 3 defensive tiers I'd be giddy. If there was a better lb crop I'd love to go with an ILB first, but seems like a no. We'll go either CB or FS with 1st rounderto show the new secondary coach some tribute. After that it's thunderdome between the rest of the position coaches.

Last edited:
Kinda makes ya wonder if Matt Jones has consulted Tiki on carrying the ball & stuff yet.

All sounds good to me.

Though I'd also propose adding 2 inner uprights to the goal post. Any field goal of 50+ that pass through the inner bars? 5 points.

I like the fact that we suddenly have size outside ...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...rmere-ram-brian-quick/?utm_term=.5cd2e7e04b1f

The Washington Redskins continued to overhaul their wide receiver unit on Friday, adding former Ram Brian Quick, a person with knowledge of the situation confirmed.

A second-round pick out of Appalachian State in 2012, Quick started a career-high eight games in 2016, recording 41 catches for 564 yards and three touchdowns (all career bests).

The 6-foot-3, 218-pound Quick gives the Redskins yet another big-target wide receiver. Earlier this month, they signed the 6-4 Terrelle Pryor. The team also expects to have a healthy Josh Doctson (6-2) back after an injury-plagued rookie year, and the 6-3 Maurice Harris also returns, as does Kendall Thompson (6-2), who spent last season on the practice squad.

Washington also has two other big targets in tight ends Jordan Reed (6-2) and Vernon Davis (6-3). The other two tight ends on the roster are Niles Paul (6-1) and Derek Carrier (6-4).

Washingtonā€™s shortest receivers are the 5-9 Jamison Crowder and Ryan Grant (6-0). Not long ago, Washington didnā€™t have a single wide receiver over 6-1...

I just never know what to think of a WR from the Rams. Their QB play has been so terrible that it seems like it is hard to get a good valuation on them, but at the same time, it seems like Quick has had the dropsies on occasion. I only know he was quite good in fantasy for a few games 2 years ago :D

We are getting much taller receivers than we usually have though, can't complain there. While they aren't Mix tall, but they are at least higher quality than he ever was....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ā¤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.