• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

e.

Something I've been thinking about (not directed at you or anyone else here, just a general observation) - we finally start operating like the Patriots, try not to overpay for talent, let aging stars go before they are done, and Redskins fans just freak the **** out. That's just the truth.

I think the freak out is only amplified because of the position we're talking about: QB

We have a fairly young,decent QB that just happened to rewrite the Redskins history book for QB accomplishment. That's a rarity here and we seem to be dragging our feet going on two years now.

With the history of this club over the last twenty plus years, they've earned every bit of skepticism and jaundice they get when it comes to transactions.

The worst fear I have is that Kirk goes and we're back to the Grossman,Beck,McCoy bin of QB selection again.

Unbelievably there are some in Redskinsland that are more than happy to go that route again(Not you in particular Boone but I have seen that notion bandied about the interwebz).....and I for one,can't stand the thought of wandering the QB Wilderness another 20+ yrs.

To me, its more the fact I don't have much confidence in the front office.

Shanahan picked out Cousins as a fourth round bargain and as it turned out he was right as he has far surpassed Griffin.

If we had a young Bobby Beathard or Ron Wolf-type as the GM I would be less concerned about potentially trading Cousins if we can't make the money work.

But the downside here is that this club is quite likely to replace Cousins in the draft with somebody more approximating to Brock Osweiler than another player that becomes a true quality replacement.

Colt McCoy would be the starter for 2017 in any event while a younger player learns on the bench.

But McCoy to me is a limited player.

He is mobile and has good leadership qualities, players like him.

But after he flashes in a game or two opposing defenses are able to take away his effectiveness on the bootleg and jam up his receivers because of his limited arm strength.

He also isn't very tall and with pressure up the middle has trouble with batted balls and passes defensed by the DBs.

They have until July to increase their offer. Not offering the guy the moon right out of the gate doesn't equal 'we don't sold on you'. If they weren't sold on him, they'd have traded him and gotten good value.

Something I've been thinking about (not directed at you or anyone else here, just a general observation) - we finally start operating like the Patriots, try not to overpay for talent, let aging stars go before they are done, and Redskins fans just freak the **** out. That's just the truth.

If you act like the Patriots, but have neither Belichick nor Brady, things aren't going to work well for you. The Pats LUCKED into Brady. Similarly, we lucked into Cousins. I am NOT saying Cousins = Brady or anything like that, but the Pats paid Brady a lot of money and discovered that when you have a really good QB, the rest of the team just doesn't matter as much. When you have one of the two best QBs in the league over the last 17 years, you can get away with garbage at WR, trade your starting Guards for low round draft picks and just generally afford to send players packing a year or two earlier than most clubs do, and people will talk about the Pats system, how genius Belichick is, and how just generally ruminate on why other NFL clubs hang on to their veteran players a smidge too long.

If we completely bought in to the Patriots way, we would suck. Period. We should have gotten rid of Fletcher a year or two before we allowed him to retire gracefully. We should have cut Portis earlier. Cooley was ineffective late in his career. The list goes on. We kept them all to 1)keep the fans happy, 2) to provide a semblence of winning culture, and/or 3) to maintain the illusion that we were trying to win every year. None of those things are what the Pats would have done.

Because they can afford to. Their margin of error is much larger than almost anyone else's out there. Our margin of error has been absurdely small. Assuming Kirk doesn't get traded, we are about to find out if he can elevate a team the way Rogers, Brady, Manning, etc can or if he is a system QB.

Either way, whatever the results, we can't afford to do things the Patriots way.

Yet.

Forget the patriots. Until Brady retires we won't know much about how awesome they really are. Think Steelers. Yes they have Roethelisberger but even before they found him they put together teams smartly. I'd like to see that here. I know, that's asking a lot ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bennie Logan signed by KC according to reports.

Pryor has apparently reached out to Kirk according to reports.

Pryor has apparently reached out to Kirk according to reports.

That's good. Even though I've tried not to worry about the contract and think it will all work out, the one thing I am concerned about is if this situation will prevent Cousins from working out with his teammates. You always hear stories about QBs working out with their WR in the offseason. I'd hate for the contract to be a reason that didn't happen with Cousins and his WRs.

If we were running things like the Patriots, DeAngelo Hall and Kedric Golston would've been gone long ago.

The fact that they are still on the roster is troubling to me because if the idea is to get younger/faster, these two shouldve been the first to go.

Without Tom Brady, the patriots wouldn't get away with many things that they do.

Probably.

But what's the excuse here for keeping broken down relics like Hall and Golston around?

Gallette signed for the minimum and it's a roll the dice move, but we should've moved on from him and let a young guy take his spot.

Probably.

But what's the excuse here for keeping broken down relics like Hall and Golston around?

Gallette signed for the minimum and it's a roll the dice move, but we should've moved on from him and let a young guy take his spot.
Eh, just grow tired of so much, "what the patriots do". As if they don't have a phenomenal luxury that allows them to "do what they do".

And I'm not privy to the info that leads them to decisions, so I don't know why they felt hanging on to those guys, last year, was the thing to do.

If they keep them both again this year, I might care.

I wish the Redskins would go ahead and just sign Anquan Boldin for one year.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Redskins?src=hash">#Redskins</a> release defensive end Ricky Jean Francois.<br><br>&#55357;&#56560;: <a href="https://t.co/5kmCphY8FA">https://t.co/5kmCphY8FA</a> <a href="https://t.co/3uFwhtRvDY">pic.twitter.com/3uFwhtRvDY</a></p>— Washington Redskins (@Redskins) <a href="https://twitter.com/Redskins/status/842139923989843968">March 15, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Ole Ricky Jean made the mistake of criticizing the team on social media in regards to the departure of Scot McCloughan.

This move has Bruce Allen written all over it.

The truth, though, is like Pierre Garcon and DeSean Jackson, Francois is a 30/31 year old player whose best days are likely behind him.

Saving $3M against the cap can allow the team to sign another player who is younger.

But at the same time, it appears the move is at least in part 'politically' motivated, because releasing Shawn Lauvao ($5M) or DeAngelo Hall ($4.25M) would have yielded even more cap space for other signings.

Ole Ricky Jean made the mistake of criticizing the team on social media in regards to the departure of Scot McCloughan.

This move has Bruce Allen written all over it.

The truth, though, is like Pierre Garcon and DeSean Jackson, Francois is a 30/31 year old player whose best days are likely behind him.

Saving $3M against the cap can allow the team to sign another player who is younger.

But at the same time, it appears the move is at least in part 'politically' motivated, because releasing Shawn Lauvao ($5M) or DeAngelo Hall ($4.25M) would have yielded even more cap space for other signings.

And interestingly enough, DeAngelo Hall publicly supported Bruce Allen and the Redskins in the regards to the McCloughan drama.

Ricky Jean was a target for release well before running his face. Even he knew it. That's why he ran his face.

The Allen loathing is hysterical, though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 6, Members: 0, Guests: 6)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.