• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Blognostications: 2012 - Week 17 v Dallas Cowboys

Loved it!

Wish I could have been in the stands for the original chant. I'm hoping we have those types of moments in the near future, whatever they will be :)

I was at that '83 game. Sat accross the field from the bouncing bleachers. Thing of beauty. I'm so nervous about this coming game. Our D seems to falter in the 4th, the Dallas O seems to come alive then. We need to enter the 4th with a 3 score cushion. In RG3 we must trust. Just out score them mothers and lets claim the division. WOOT!! Still can't believe that's a possibillity going into the last game. :)

And to think, it almost wasn't a possibility. Had the Steelers beaten the Cowboys a week ago, as they nearly did, we would have the division pretty much sown up right now and this game wouldn't mean anything. :D

And to think, it almost wasn't a possibility. Had the Steelers beaten the Cowboys a week ago, as they nearly did, we would have the division pretty much sown up right now and this game wouldn't mean anything. :D

Or if Cleveland could have held onto their 14-point lead or whatever it was.

To be fair I'd rather have that.

I have no idea where this team will go if it makes the playoffs, and while it'll make me sad for a minute if they lose in the first round I'll get over it quickly by understanding the bigger picture for the franchise.

I'd rather this game be meaningless. As it stands right now we may not get to playoffs, much less host a game. Nothing is a sure thing in this week to week league.

GREAT JOB FEAR! :thewave:

As a season ticket holder, I was lucky enough to attend all of the playoff games, including Super Bowl XVII, following that strike-shortened 1982 campaign. I'll never forget that NFC Championship Game and those bouncing stands across the way.

I was pretty confident going into that game, mainly because it was at home and because we were forcing them to wear their "unlucky" blue road jerseys that they seldom wore.

Everything just seemed to fall into place. Riggo ran wild. The Smurfs delivered. The Fun Bunch jumped and Dexter knocked out Danny White. In came Gary Hogeboom for that Coup de Grace pick six by Darryl Grant and victory was ours.

While this game may be reminiscent of that 1982 NFC Championship Game, it's also eerily reminiscent of the final game of the 1979 season. The win or go home scenario came into play thanks to the Cardinals rolling over in a 42-6 loss to the Bears which gave the Bears the wildcard tiebreaker in point differential (we were dead even on all other tiereakers). Had the Skins won that game, they would have won the division with an 11-5 record. While Ron Jaworski's Eagles also finished 11-5, the Skins would have had the tiebreaker and thus, would have taken the NFC East crown. Instead, they lost 35-34 on a late TD pass from Roger Staubach to Tony Hill.

By the time this game is played Sunday night, we'll already know whether or not the Vikings and Bears won but I'm fairly certain they both won't lose. That means this really IS the first playoff game of the 2012 season. Win and we get to host a playoff game for the first time since 1999. Win and we have a shot at a FOURTH Lombardi Trophy and RG3 increases his chances of winning ROY. Lose and that effing team from Texas gets playoff bragging rights while Luck or Wilson wins ROY. I don't think I could stand that.

As many great memories as I have of that NFC Championship victory over Dallas, I'm still haunted by that loss in 1979. Euphoria or death? THAT'S HOW BIG THIS GAME IS.

Those Cowboys teams with Staubach had Super Bowl pedigree. Heck, even Danny White made it to three straight NFCCGs. And of course you had the Cowboy era with the Triplets, much of which happened at the beginning of the Redskin decline 20 years ago.

The present day Cowboys have had the tendency to come up short in big games, particularly those away from Dallas. Got smoked in Philly 44-6 in '08. Did blow the Eagles out in back-to-back weeks in '09, but then Favre took them to the woodshed in the Metrodome 34-3. Last season, fell behind the Giants 21-0 at halftime before making a run but eventually falling 31-14.

Of course, realistically. none of the past matters. The teams seem to be pretty evenly matched, both with good offenses and suspect defenses. But after Thanksgiving and this one being at FedEx, I'm feeling pretty confident, and will predict a familiar score:

Redskins 31
Cowboys 17

Great write-up Fear-yeah, this is the defining "We Want Dallas" game this season.

Thanks, guys.
Sorry the write-up was so long and wordy. I guess I could have been more concise.

Om has taught you well, young Padawan. Why use a few words when you can use MANY? ;)

Seriously Fear, there is so much to say about a game like this. It really is the first significant win-or-go-home game we've played against Dallas since that game in January of '83. I enjoyed every word. :cheers:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.