• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Give Credit to Redskins Defense

You keep saying this, and I think maybe that word doesn't mean what you think it means.

I really am having a hard problem remembering exactly how we've been inordinately lucky this year, the Griffin to Morgan fumble aside.

Agree with Goaldie...if anything, this season has been 100% UNLUCKY.

-Lost $18M in cap space the day before free-agency.
-Lost both starting safeties before the season even started.
-Our number 1 WR & biggest offseason acquisition tears a ligament in his foot on a freak incident scoring on a runaway TD in week 1.
-Lost two front-7 standouts in week 2.
-Lost a TD even after an inadvertent whistle against the Panthers, which still numbs my brain to think about.
-One starting safety was ready to make a comeback, and then got reinjured in a freak collision in PRE-GAME WARMUPS, while also taking out a key offensive weapon.

Am I missing anything?

-Our number 1 WR & biggest offseason acquisition tears a ligament in his foot on a freak incident scoring on a runaway TD in week 1.
-Lost a TD even after an inadvertent whistle against the Panthers, which still numbs my brain to think about.
-One starting safety was ready to make a comeback, and then got reinjured in a freak collision in PRE-GAME WARMUPS, while also taking out a key offensive weapon.

Am I missing anything?

the schedule writers giving us the schedule imediately following the bye... this has been an absolutely brutal stretch thus far

well, id say playing teams like the eagles who are in a mess and playing with practice roster Olinemen because of injuries is pretty lucky, playing foles instead of vick was lucky, playing the Giants when they were hurting helped (although IMHO that was our most impressive game) playing the saints when we did was massive as well. I have seen fumbles go our way this year and commented on this in the game chat numerous times, in past years those fumbles were never even close lol

Am I missing anything?

I'd throw Sleepy in there for good measure.

And the Cap Penalty can not be overstated.

Ry, whenever we have lost a fumble in the past, folks have said (I know I remember Henry saying this, and I'm sure others have as well) that bad teams lose those fumbles. When you're a good team, you get some bounces.* My argument is that we are becoming a good team, right before our very eyes. And as a good team, we're gonna get some of those bounces that two years ago we wouldn't have gotten.

*let's all pretend to ignore the Romo factor, which would invalidate this argument. :)

well, id say playing teams like the eagles who are in a mess and playing with practice roster Olinemen because of injuries is pretty lucky, playing foles instead of vick was lucky, playing the Giants when they were hurting helped (although IMHO that was our most impressive game) playing the saints when we did was massive as well. I have seen fumbles go our way this year and commented on this in the game chat numerous times, in past years those fumbles were never even close lol

Please. We beat the Eagles with or without Vick. Did you WATCH the Eagles play at all this year? They were a joke. A complete joke.

And I don't want to hear about injuries from any other team. Lanky just chronicled them all. We've been crushed by injuries this year.

The Saints have been more up and down this year than a stripper on her pole. They get demolished 52-27 by the VaGiants and then crush the Bucs yesterday 41-0. Were the Giants also lucky to have caught them at the right time? I would daresay the Saints were UNLUCKY to have to open the season against us. Give our team some credit, my friend. It's OK, we won't laugh.

The Cowboys are peaking and have won five of their last six. When would be a less lucky time to land them than right in the middle of that stretch? On Thanksgiving? In Dallas?

Playing the Eagles isnt any luckier than any other team playing the crap team in its division. Thats not lucky. The BRONCOS are lucky. The Colts are lucky. We've played the 13th most difficult schedule in the league. We need apologize to noone for our schedule.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

The eagles are reeling not the least of which for reasons would be the Oline is even worse than ours with several PR guys playing. Injuries we had were pretty big, but the 2 safeties? they were injured before they played a down, you dont miss what you never had.

the saints were playing their first game without payton, and even if they have been up and down, we got them at a good time.

I think we are much improved as a team but lets not get ahead of ourselves we won some games we should win, perhaps the ravens and the giants games were games we maybe shouldnt have won. the Cowpies had injuries at key spots against us , we pulled out a game there because they are an overrated team and we simply beat them.

I have seen fumbles go our way this year and commented on this in the game chat numerous times, in past years those fumbles were never even close lol

So would you say that in the past, other teams were lucky to beat us? :)

Also, Vick? Really? He's been atrocious this year. I should know, I had him on one of my fantasy teams.

EDIT: I would almost say facing Foles was unlucky, as with Vick you're guaranteed several turnovers right from jump street!

Just to be clear, I am happy we are winning, but I just prefer to be the team where the stars have to align for us to lose, rather than the team that barely pulls out a win

Barely pulls out a win? What game did you watch yesterday?

We barely pulled out a win against the Giants, who coincidentally, barely pulled one out against us a few weeks prior. I didn't see us having any more luck than they did in our series this year. We barely pulled out a win against the Ravens after our superstar QB left the game. I'm not sure I'd call that luck.

We blew out the Eagles. No luck there. Just a good team crushing a bad team, as it should be. And we blew out the Browns ... with our backup QB.

And we beat the Cowboys soundly. On Thanksgiving. In Dallas. I don't know what football universe you live in, but in this one that is always a big deal. It's such a big deal it's something we'd never done before. Ever. In the history of the Dallas Cowboys and Thanksgiving. Let alone while the Cowboys are in the midst of their best November/December in five years, maybe more. I'm kind of shocked anyone would actually downplay THAT game.

No, the Redskins haven't been lucky. Not with scheduling. Not with injuries.

We are not winning with smoke and mirrors. We are beating teams. Some by a lot. Some by a little. The same way ALL teams win games. Again, we need not apologize for it.

Barely pulls out a win? What game did you watch yesterday?

We barely pulled out a win against the Giants, who coincidentally, barely pulled one out against us a few weeks prior. I didn't see us having any more luck than they did in our series this year. We barely pulled out a win against the Ravens after our superstar QB left the game. I'm not sure I'd call that luck.

We blew out the Eagles. No luck there. Just a good team crushing a bad team, as it should be. And we blew out the Browns ... with our backup QB.

And we beat the Cowboys soundly. On Thanksgiving. In Dallas. I don't know what football universe you live in, but in this one that is always a big deal. It's such a big deal it's something we'd never done before. Ever. In the history of the Dallas Cowboys and Thanksgiving. Let alone while the Cowboys are in the midst of their best November/December in five years, maybe more. I'm kind of shocked anyone would actually downplay THAT game.

No, the Redskins haven't been lucky. Not with scheduling. Not with injuries.

We are not winning with smoke and mirrors. We are beating teams. Some by a lot. Some by a little. The same way ALL teams win games. Again, we need not apologize for it.

:chestram2::notworthy:

Teams aren't running as much because when you the other team falls behind early in a game the farther behind they are the more passes they throw the only anomaly I see through the first five games is Atlanta Ryan threw 52 passes

...the Cowpies had injuries at key spots against us , we pulled out a game there because they are an overrated team and we simply beat them.

See, this is a trap of narrow vision too many fall into. I know, I have done it myself. To say the Cowpies were playing us with injuries to key players while discounting our injuries just doesn't make any sense to me. We have been down 2 of our best DL all season, a third DL who was a solid rotation guy and our starting Free Safety all due to injury. Throw in an aging talent in Fletcher who has been nursing an injury this whole win streak and we have been just as decimated by injury at key spots as any other team we've played.

#Redskins defense has made 50 tackles for loss, the 4th highest total in the league. Jackson/Kerrigan playing run well, DL winning up front.

via @GrantHPaulsen

Guess they were all just lucky? :)

50 tackles for a loss, in the same season when we allowed more big plays than any other redskins team in history? You do understand that numbers go up when other teams move the ball at will right? this reminds me of when everyone was on Landrys jock in the first year of the 3-4, when a safety has that many tackles its not a good thing. bottom line, this defence is improving, but it was really bad, not its just bad to mediocre, so im not dancing around just yet

I'm not so sure, Ryman. The Redskins are 9th overall in average TOP (not counting OT). Opposing teams have had the ball vs our defenseless than 30 mins per game, good for 18th.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

yet the number of plays run against our defence has been pretty high. either way, the defence is improving but given how bad it was , thats not really saying a whole lot. I'll get excited when it starts being consistently good

Oh for sure, its very inconsistent. I think this makes it even more frustrating - we're taking away a lot of yards, but then giving them right back on 2nd or 3rd & longs! With Rak & Carriker back, I think this D has the potential to be very nasty.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.