• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Give Credit to Redskins Defense

"Passing on us at will" has produced 0 wins against us lately.

May I have another?

This is a tough crowd. We've won 5 in a row and won't finish no worse than 500. Considering where we were 6 weeks ago I feel great.

The D is playing a lot better. Yesterday I was impressed with how well they tackled and played overall. They repeatedly got off the field on 3rd downs. This is evident in the time of possession.

Enjoy the moment and support our guys.

Agree.We wouldn't have won 5 straight without key stops by the defense. Bitch all you want about their inadequacies, but the D has been part of the effort.

tshile, no one is suggesting we are 'great' at anything on defense. In fact, I think I specifically said 'the defense isn't great.' The opinion we are debating is whether or not we are 'still unable to stop the run.'

Ryman, I think what you are trying to say is that the defense isn't perfect, and you've made a very good case for that.

But to suggest we are 'unable to stop the run' because the Browns managed one or two successful running plays is a gross overstatement. Every team misses on a critical stop once in awhile. That is not evidence of being 'unable' to stop someone.

You can dismiss yards per game, and average yards per game, and points per game, and whatever else to look at two plays of a team that lost by three scores if you want, but don't find such anecdotes particularly compelling.

Last edited:
Agree.We wouldn't have won 5 straight without key stops by the defense. Bitch all you want about their inadequacies, but the D has been part of the effort.

The defense is doing the same thing for us that the Giants D did during their 2 SB winning seasons. After sucking horribly they have stepped up big time (except D. Hall still blows plays repeatedly) Sure they aren't doing it with a great pass rush but despite all of those injuries they are stepping it up enough for us to win the games we must win.

Yes. YES...

I know Haslett isn't popular, but there is less than a 5% chance he is fired at the end of the season. Sorry guys. Unless the D implodes over the next two weeks (and we miss the playoffs), I can practically guarantee he is back. And he should be back. No one likes to hear this, but injuries have decimated his unit, and he finally has compensated and is producing a unit that is making plays. We're not dominating anybody, but we are playing VERY solid D, well good enough to win.

Haz ain't going anywhere, guys. Sorry.

the defence has improved from atrocious and horrid to merely bad, the problem is that we have grown accustomed to making excuses for bad defence.

Its the first year, its a new scheme, we dont have the players, we have too many old guys, we have too many young guys.

Haslett has a history, and its not good. simply put, he is not a DC who will get us where we need to be.

I think we need to get rid of him this year and find a good DC, but Goalie might be right shannahan hasnt exactly been great at correcting his mistakes I could se ehim saying that we have "improved" even though the steep decline on defence came under his watch and our "improvement" hasnt even gotten us back to where we were pre haslett.

Ryman, they have improved without 3 major components. Simply getting Orakpo & Carriker back will be huge for this D IMO. Meriweather will be icing on the cake.

as fr winning, we have gotten some key plays, but if you look at the teams we have beaten? we have either beaten teams with bad QB's or we have done just enough on D to win, I think its great that we have made enough plays to win, but I give more credit to the offence and frankly to our running the ball enough to control the clock at key times than to the actual defence that has still given up too many big plays. bottom line though, I like the fact that we are winning despite things rather than losing because of them.

Ryman, they have improved without 3 major components. Simply getting Orakpo & Carriker back will be huge for this D IMO. Meriweather will be icing on the cake.

actually some of the improvement came because we arent forcing Rak to do things he is just not good at. if we adjusted things and used him correctly he would be a huge addition, as it is, he has been outplayed by jackson. has anything haslett has done suggested to you he will adjust and use Rak more effectively? Carriker and merriweather will be upgrades though, absolutely

Good call Tr1. The Rams and Panthers games will grate on my nerves for a while, for different reasons.

But such is life. Given where we were before the bye, I don't see how anyone can be anything be ecstatic.

what we really need to give credit is to HASLETT.. .Look at the second half stats for teams... we've made adjustments.. something people have been SCREAMING for in the second half for YEARS. On this streak, outside of the game against Dallas, we've shut down the opposing team in the second half...

Opposition points in second half:

Philly - 3
Dallas - 28 (yeah)
NYG - 3
Balt - 7
Cle - 7

i know there's a lot of hate against this guy.. and maybe he's struggled.. but you cant deny giving up an average of 4.8 pts per quarter over 10 second half quarters of football.. even with that egg we layed against the Cowbums

Agreed ST. If we judge Haslett by the numbers and injuries, you have to give the guy another year.

actually some of the improvement came because we arent forcing Rak to do things he is just not good at. if we adjusted things and used him correctly he would be a huge addition, as it is, he has been outplayed by jackson. has anything haslett has done suggested to you he will adjust and use Rak more effectively? Carriker and merriweather will be upgrades though, absolutely

Well will just have to agree to disagree - the defense was stronger with Orakpo in there, this cannot be questioned IMHO. Its taken him awhile but yes, Haslett has made adjustments to sort-of compensate. The D is still shaky, and still gives up the big play as you mentioned.

I was impressed by the Giants game, even though they were injury riddled as well, I think one of the biggest holes on this defence is rak in coverage, he is an excellent pass rusher and takes great angle in the run, he is also a non stop motor guy, but he simply isnt a linebacker and hasnt progressed as one, he also hasnt expanded his toolboox of pass rush moves. I think where we have improved is in the secondary and back seven.

I was impressed by the Giants game, even though they were injury riddled as well, I think one of the biggest holes on this defence is rak in coverage, he is an excellent pass rusher and takes great angle in the run, he is also a non stop motor guy, but he simply isnt a linebacker and hasnt progressed as one, he also hasnt expanded his toolboox of pass rush moves. I think where we have improved is in the secondary and back seven.

Do you remember the Saints game? Towards the end, Orakpo defended 3 passes, and essentially took the game over. It was pretty impressive.

thats true he made some big plays in that game, yet we still allowed a lot of yards and points to a team that was struggling and NOT the saints team everyone expected this year.

I always say you gotta be lucky to be good, but this year we relied heavily on luck, and lets be honest this franchise hasnt been really lucky lol

thats true he made some big plays in that game, yet we still allowed a lot of yards and points to a team that was struggling and NOT the saints team everyone expected this year.

I always say you gotta be lucky to be good, but this year we relied heavily on luck, and lets be honest this franchise hasnt been really lucky lol

You keep saying this, and I think maybe that word doesn't mean what you think it means.

I really am having a hard problem remembering exactly how we've been inordinately lucky this year, the Griffin to Morgan fumble aside.

No, but I think the Redskins have finally found a keeper at OLB in the 3-4 in Rob Jackson.

He has started the past three games while leaving the platoon behind and he has produced sacks and a couple of turnovers.

Funny looking back that the team was thinking of guys like Chris Wilson and Markus White being the bridge to getting Orakpo back.

White was cut and Wilson doesn't look like he will be here beyond the end of the season.

This team's achilles heel is the secondary and that is not something any coordinator can game plan around in today's NFL.

It's a passing league and if you don't have corners that can run and safeties that can play short or deep you are going to be in trouble.

Hall is only here because of his contract and Wilson is better suited to being the #3 corner.

When the team finds two legit corners this defense with the current front seven will look a lot better.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

You keep saying this, and I think maybe that word doesn't mean what you think it means.

I really am having a hard problem remembering exactly how we've been inordinately lucky this year, the Griffin to Morgan fumble aside.

are you joking?

we have had several fumbles bounce back to us, we have gotten to play teams who due to injuries suspensions etc etc have been not as good as they were before. this team aside from losing carriker has been pretty lucky thus far injurywise, although merriweather wasnt lucky, he hadnt done anything before his knee injury either

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.