• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Should Pollard be fined for the Helmet to Helmet Hit?

RG3 Fan

The 1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Baylor
I think it was obvious that Pollard intended to hit RG3 helmet to helmet. I think he should be fined.:cuss:

I find it funny in this age where the NFL is supposed to be super careful about concussions and fining hits on qbs and leveling penalties for any hit to the head, looking to fine players for hits on defensive players, etc. One of the oldest rules in the book is never called anymore.

When was the last time you heard a ref call "spearing" Whether RGIII was hit near the sideline and on the run or in the head is irrelevent. The player lowered his head to intentionally use his helmet as a weapon. That's spearing. It's supposed to be against the rules.

The fact that it was head to head only makes it worse.

Should be. He wont though.

I used to laugh at the conspiracy theorists. But at some point you have to stop ignoring the evidence. We're being treated different than other teams by the rules committee.

The ****ing giants player was fined less than Will Montgomery. you know, the guy that tried to stomp on him two weeks ago?

So while he should be fined for spearing (and it should have been a penalty, doesn't matter if it's on the QB or late as burgold said) he wont be. Or if he is, it'll be a minimum amount.

Yes. Teams have bounties on RG3. I've seen defensive players do much more egregious things than anything the Saints were supposedly guilty of. **** the Ravens. **** that ****hole Baltimore. They lost. I hate their entire division with exception of the Bengals.

I find it funny in this age where the NFL is supposed to be super careful about concussions and fining hits on qbs and leveling penalties for any hit to the head, looking to fine players for hits on defensive players, etc. One of the oldest rules in the book is never called anymore.

When was the last time you heard a ref call "spearing" Whether RGIII was hit near the sideline and on the run or in the head is irrelevent. The player lowered his head to intentionally use his helmet as a weapon. That's spearing. It's supposed to be against the rules.

The fact that it was head to head only makes it worse.

Last time I remember it being a call that was controversial was the Bruce Smith call. You're right it's not called very often any more, always something else or they call it something different.

Should be. He wont though.

I used to laugh at the conspiracy theorists. But at some point you have to stop ignoring the evidence. We're being treated different than other teams by the rules committee.

The ****ing giants player was fined less than Will Montgomery. you know, the guy that tried to stomp on him two weeks ago?

So while he should be fined for spearing (and it should have been a penalty, doesn't matter if it's on the QB or late as burgold said) he wont be. Or if he is, it'll be a minimum amount.

I didnt know that sad factoid. WTF? With the Revenue Dan brings to the league, you would think more equitable treatment of our players would be mandatory. I wish he would stand up to this nonsense. (for all I know, he is behind the scenes)

Not to derail the thread, but yes, it is what happened.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...-fines-linval-joseph-will-montgomery/1754719/

Montgomery is appealing
Montgomery was docked $10,000 for trying to cleat Joseph in a place that should never be cleated. Joseph was fined $7,875 for stomping Montgomery, even though he tried to halt his motion while his foot was in mid-air. Perhaps Joseph's quick realization he was about to commit an offense that could've resulted in an ejection led to his being fined slightly less than Montgomery.

If this gets much worse I'm going to have a lot of apologizing to do, because I've been a pretty big ass hat towards the people who have been screaming about unfair treatment ever since the salary cap fines.

Fines come out on Friday right? Just wondering when we need to look to see if he was fined. Not sure if it'll be mentioned in the local media if he isn't fined.

By the way, here's a screen shot of their schedule of fines for the 2012 season:
14dn7f4.png

so, the giants player got the bare minimum. and pollard should be fined a minimum of $21,000, probably more because this is not his first offense. He's been fined before.

The problem here is that the fine schedule is a joke. This is chump change for many players in the NFL. Listen to Rodney Harrison sometime when he talks about setting aside part of his salary every year to cover the fines he knew he would get.

Until the NFL and NFLPA reach an agreement about fines that mean something to this millionaires nothing is going to change. I think the league needs to think about a percentage based system so they it hurts every player equally regardless of income level.

I agree it's a joke, but I don't think the answer is to change the amount of money. The amount of money players make is a wide range - 20k to a person making 500k/season is a lot more than a person making 5 million.

I think the only thing to do is to suspend players. They lose a game check, and (more importantly) they hurt their team.

It'll truly become bad for a player's individual business. It'll be like being labeled as injury-prone; what good are you to the team if you're going to miss 1/4 of the season due to suspensions? They'll stop getting contracts they feel they deserve and they'll loose part of the money they do make as well.

In the short term it'll seem like an overly-aggressive way of legislating the game. In the long term it'll adjust how they play and I think it'll greatly benefit player safety.

That is why I said a percentage based system, t. 10% of your income is 10% of your income.

Although suspensions would probably work better. Then you are not getting paid and your team is hurt so the pressure from your own locker room to keep it clean will be big.

Yeah the only problem with % base is that a cheap safety murdering a WR on the field loses 50k while a big name would lose 200k, or 300k, or whatever the % is. There's a big argument there for being punished more for being successful than for what it is you did.

But I guess you could poke holes in any sort of legislation over the game like this.

They don't seem to be able to be consistent in what they're currently doing. The NFL is being run by clowns right now.

Yeah the only problem with % base is that a cheap safety murdering a WR on the field loses 50k while a big name would lose 200k, or 300k, or whatever the % is. There's a big argument there for being punished more for being successful than for what it is you did.

But I guess you could poke holes in any sort of legislation over the game like this.

They don't seem to be able to be consistent in what they're currently doing. The NFL is being run by clowns right now.

you want to get to these guys.. suspensions, PERIOD. It kicks you right in the gut AND in the wallet. The sad thing is that there are very few guys in the league that are malicious in their actions beyond a level of hard play. Most guys are out there for the right reasons, doing the right things...

tackling with your head down or arms by your side should be a 15 yard penalty. anyone that's ever played football at any organized level has been taught that you have to keep your head up and see what you hit, and you have to put your arms out to tackle.

coaches will have to just sit players that can't play by the rules, else they risk moving the other team down the field via penalties.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.