• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Kirk Cousins

Elephant

The Commissioner
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Florida State
There was tremendous apprehension when we drafted him, many were understandably upset when we have so many needs on this team. I would love to have seen another ILB or interior DL or OL with the pick, but I was not entirely against it when it happened. In fact, having watched a few games of his while at Michigan State, I knew he had some athleticism...not RG3 athleticism, but enough so that when/if Griffin were to go down, he would be able to keep our playbook in tact...mostly. With Rex, a whole new game plan has to go in effect.

So yesterday was the 2nd time this season we had to see him come in and take the reigns. During the Atlanta game I wasn't sure what to expect. We were all pleasantly surprised to see him drive straight down the field for a TD. It didn't last long though, he ended up throwing 2 picks and we lost. Was he asked to do too much? Who knows...maybe? But he didn't look bad, he looked like a rookie.

Yesterday, when it was quite obvious Griffin was going to have to come out, how many of you were confident Kirk Cousins could do what he did? I have to say, I felt like this kid could win the game for us. I joked about it a little when we were in chat yesterday, but I really felt Kirk Cousins would be able to win the game for us. He showed a lot! And the Breeding that Jimbo called it continued...even with Griff on the sideline.

Hey diddle diddle Kirk Cousins up the middle! Give Griff a week off, let Kirk win us the Browns game and build his trade value then we'll see how Griffin feels for the Eagles' game. I feel confident Kirk Cousins can beat the Browns.

I initially hated the pick, but at the end of draft day came around to it. I wanted us out of the Rex Grossman business ASAP.

I had mixed feelings when he came in yesterday... I knew he could do it, I also knew he could blow it. I'm just happy we got that punt return, and he just had to hand it off to finish off the game in OT.

It's nice to know we have a backup that can step up. You don't normally get that when you spend what we spent to get your starter...

I already am of the persuasion that I would feel better with Cousins than Rexy regardless of the game situation.

Morris can beat the browns. Cousins just needs to manage the game and not make any stupid mistakes.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Not picking on you Mike, but I've seen this a lot lately. The Browns are NOT a bad team. They are playing well here lately, with a terrific RB and a rookie QB who is starting to come around. I don't think we could throw any old schlub back there and expect to win (playing against Arizona is another story - wow, what a dumpster fire that franchise is).

Having said that, I don't think Kirk is just any schlub at QB. I think we would have an excellent chance at winning with him this weekend, I just don't think it's a given.

In fact, even with RGIII at 100%, I'm not sure it's a given.

The simple fact is, nobody knows ****.

The Browns are no guaranteed win, even with a 100% Griffin.

Happy as I can be for Kirk. If he starts next week, I'm all in.

But, if Robert can go, he should. Don't want to hear a damn thing about the future. As an all time great once said, the future is now.

Nobody knows when he will play his last game, or play.

See: Sean Taylor, Brian Piccilo, Jerry Brown, etc...

They suck against the run was my point. A heavy dose of Morris and Royster and let Kirk just not make any huge mistakes.

And how dare you pick on me!

Goal's Momma has told him all about you!

They suck against the run was my point. A heavy dose of Morris and Royster and let Kirk just not make any huge mistakes.

And how dare you pick on me!

This is true, I'll give you that. But with Kirk back there, they would be playing for Morris a lot. Now he can still get some yardage, but it won't be anywhere near as easy as with Griff and the playfakes.

His TD he extended the play and had great touch. Kylie's call on the 2 point conversion was great. It kept Cousins from having to read and throw into a very compressed area.

El,

I'll admit - I was one of the ones in the chat that was completely skeptical of Cousins' ability to lead this team to victory, especially being down 8 at the time. While I thought he had a shot of making a few throws to get us a TD based on where we were in terms of field position, I fully expected the conversion to fall flat on its face. In fact, I was so skeptical of Cousins' ability to win against Baltimore that I was insistent that we needed to win the toss in OT and press the ball downfield quickly because I felt that the longer the OT went on, the more the advantage swung in the favour of Ravens and the greater the likelihood of Kirk screwing up.

Ultimately, I think Crawford's return still leaves things open to uncertainty in regards to Kirk. Can he consistently put together longer drives over the duration of four quarters and mix in timely throws downfield to complement Morris' running? Much of that is still open to debate. What we saw yesterday was simply a sample of a few nice plays from Cousins mixed in with a perfect call from Kyle to catch a defense off guard. At the end of the day, it's not enough to inspire confidence is me personally. I firmly believe that if Cousins starts in Cleveland, we'll have to rely on winning a very ugly slugfest against a team that has suddenly gone 5-3 in their last 8 and showing a sense of toughness on defense. I honestly don't think that's a favourable matchup for Cousins.

Doc Walker was on the Fan 590 this morning (Canada's largest sports radio network) and he basically was preaching the concept of "next man up." He put things into perspective a bit. He basically said that if a franchise has no confidence in their backup to win games, then shame on them for picking the wrong guy to fill that position.

I guess it’s easy to say that I liked the Cousins pick now (I did at the time too…honest). Shanahan had worked with him in the Senior Bowl and thought enough of him to draft him as insurance. It just seemed to make sense given our only other option was Rex. It also makes sense given the fact that everyone knew RGIII was going to run from time to time and might get dinged up. Cousins was a four year starter, is athletic and who by all accounts is a solid leader and a team first guy. Sounds like a perfect guy for this system. Not as perfect as RGIII though.

There have already been suggestions that if RGIII isn’t 100% that we should let Cousins start and just pound the Browns into submission on the ground. While I’d love to be able to do that I don’t think we’re quite on that level offensively that we could just put anyone back there at QB and hand the ball off fifty times and win. The Browns defense is above average and their offense is improving. We need to treat this game very seriously. Could Cousins win for us? Sure, but now is not the time to get cocky if we have a better option and I could see Shanahan doing that with a guy he seems to like as much as Cousins. These next three games are huge and we can’t play around.

BTW….how cool is it to say that about our upcoming games and mean it?

i can say honestly ..i didn't think we were going to win , if griff doesn't come back in and move us down the feild , i don't think we win ....i mean cousin sitting the whole game except for 2 mins ...if we dont get that pass flag on 3rd down games over ...i would love to rest griff, but to tell you the truth brownies are 5-8 with a solid defense , and we cant take them litely we could fall flat on are face , with are playoffs hopes fading .....

I'm very happy for Captain Kirk but let's face it, a LOT of Morris' success depends on RG3. If the Browns crowd the line keying on Morris and force Cousins to try to beat them deep, I wouldn't like our chances too much.

Sure, Cousins can move around a little bit but he's still more of a sitting duck back there against the blitz than RG3 is with a bad wheel.

The Browns game scares me WITH Griffin in the game. Without him, I'd probably pick us to lose.

I was not confident that Cousins could do it at all. I was wrong. Thank God!!

My brother's comment: "Grossman would have thrown a pick before the whole defense was even on the field."

I'm cool with Kirk back there against the brownies. I have no doubt our line and Morris can rack up some serious yards there. Only worry i have is would Kyle stick with the run when we have them on their heels?

Kirk "the illustrious one" Cousins should be the conductor of the pain train this week. RG-imsobadassyoucan'ttouchme-3 needs to get his healing factor on. The Butler will serve them proper like. And the train rolls on...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.