• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

NFL Network Every Bit As Big Of A Joke As ESPN

Ok, I was just watching the NFL network about an hour ago and when they compared our teams:

all three 'experts' gave us the QB edge,
two of three gave the Ravens the RB edge (though all said it was close),
all three gave the Ravens the WR edge,
all three gave the Ravens the defensive edge (though they all noted improvement in our defense over the past few weeks)
two of the three gave the Ravens the coaching edge (but all three said this was very close)

Honestly, I didn't have a problem with any of that. The Ravens are a 9-3 team with a history of being a good team. We are having a banner year at 6-6. I'm not sure why anyone is expecting tons of respect. For good teams, a three game win streak is fairly typical, not a reason to break out a ticker-tape parade. We're still an average team, guys. Wait until we actually ARE 10-6 and then, next year, we can talk about respect.

No... I don't think you can draw that conclusion, but please feel free to show it to me if you can.

Pointing to a few isolated games does not accurately describe a team or its season.

There are quite a few teams that are clearly not SB contenders. Philly would be one, so would Oakland. But to count NY, GB, NO, Atlanta, NE, Denver, Pit, or Baltimore out of it because you can reference one or two bad losses this season is foolish - in my opinion.

Well, with the Ravens, you can point out 4 bad losses (thanks for adding your two! ;)). Texans crushed them (legit superbowl contenders), they barely squeaked by a terrible San Diego team, they lost to Philly & they lost to Pittsburgh without 85% of its starting offense (exaggeration).

EDIT: 4 bad games, not losses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, with the Ravens, you can point out 4 bad losses (thanks for adding your two! ;)). Texans crushed them (legit superbowl contenders), they barely squeaked by a terrible San Diego team, they lost to Philly & they lost to Pittsburgh without 85% of its starting offense (exaggeration).

Yeah, I mean I don't get the flacco love and their defense is getting old (and injured.) They're clearly riding on their reputation more than their actual ability.

That said, they are a successful organization. For all their flaws, I'd love our team to have had the last 10 years they've had (although I'd like some actual rings for it, but still). They deserve the respect, even if it is a bit inflated or misplaced.

Except for the Griffin v Flacco thing. People seem focused on the rushing. To me their opinions on the QB's are way more disrespectful :)

...and were painfully close to a four-game sweep.

As Derek texted me Tuesday morning, "We just beat all three division opponents in three weeks. I think it's safe to say the culture of the Washington Redskins is changing."

How can anyone text you now? I thought some prisoner has your phone now. In Cumberland, KY? Or is it TN?

:)

Anyway...

How cool is it that we're talking about how our team is doing these days and mentioning the playoffs? Can't believe that we're arguing about it, but that is the way it goes. :)

How cool is it that we're talking about how our team is doing these days and mentioning the playoffs?

Especially for those of us that had us left for dead after the Carolina game. :dunce2:

Seriously, this team makes me bi-polar. ;)

How can anyone text you now? I thought some prisoner has your phone now. In Cumberland, KY? Or is it TN?

:)

Anyway...

How cool is it that we're talking about how our team is doing these days and mentioning the playoffs? Can't believe that we're arguing about it, but that is the way it goes. :)

Yeah, hog hasn't answered any of my texts in months...I don't think I got the updated number. :)

Especially for those of us that had us left for dead after the Carolina game. :dunce2:

Seriously, this team makes me bi-polar. ;)

It's so... tiring, I guess is the best word.

That will be the best part about finally being a good team on a regular basis... The not showing up against awful opponents and losing should, for the most part, stop. It'll happen, but man those back to back losses @PIT and home against CAR were just depressing.

Like - maybe everyone else is right and the coaches need to be fired and the whole team (minus griffin) scrapped and start over - kind of depressing.

being underdogs is alot better in a way , what games have we won that we're suppost to win ...i hear you guys on your points ,but it's tha truth will never get respect till we win tha east or playoffs from here on ...take tha raves they where a cundiff field goal from being in tha super bowl ...if tha dumb coach takes a time out to give tha kicker time i think they win...that being said media are stupid like that...there more of what have you done for me lately type media ...soooooooo untill we whoooooop ass every year ,were going to counted out every year and be hated on !

Yeah, hog hasn't answered any of my texts in months...I don't think I got the updated number. :)

You hadn't texted me in a YEAR prior to getting my new phone back in August; so I highly doubt I'm missing anything now.

But just in case, the new digits are 301-TUF-SH*T.

:guitarist:

;)

It's going to take back to back winning seasons to get the respect back.
Really? Explain the Saints. They were horrible for their entire existence. Then out of nowhere they win the Super Bowl. nothing but respect the entire season.

Look at the Rams, decades of futility. Then a kid named Warner shows up, and they are instantly respected as one of the greatest teams of all time.

Look at the Lions. One or two good seasons in over half a century. They get a touted QB, and respect was instantly there before they even proved anything.

The Patriots......one of the worst teams in NFL history for a very long time. Then Brady comes out of nowhere, wins a few games, and it's instant respect and superstar status.

Seahawks, Bucs, Panthers. Everyone gets instant respect after never accomplishing anything. But we have a storied team, a legendary coach, one of the greatest players to come along in a long time, etc. and we have to work through two seasons of winning and proving ourselves to gain respect? Why? Seattle got it with a 7-9 record.

The fact is, until the media fully jumps on the RG3 bandwagon, and the guys like Brady, Manning 1 and 2, etc are on the tail ends of their careers, we will never get respect. Not until we're the only thing left to talk about.

Really? Explain the Saints. They were horrible for their entire existence. Then out of nowhere they win the Super Bowl. nothing but respect the entire season.

Look at the Rams, decades of futility. Then a kid named Warner shows up, and they are instantly respected as one of the greatest teams of all time.

Look at the Lions. One or two good seasons in over half a century. They get a touted QB, and respect was instantly there before they even proved anything.

The Patriots......one of the worst teams in NFL history for a very long time. Then Brady comes out of nowhere, wins a few games, and it's instant respect and superstar status.

Seahawks, Bucs, Panthers. Everyone gets instant respect after never accomplishing anything. But we have a storied team, a legendary coach, one of the greatest players to come along in a long time, etc. and we have to work through two seasons of winning and proving ourselves to gain respect? Why? Seattle got it with a 7-9 record.

The fact is, until the media fully jumps on the RG3 bandwagon, and the guys like Brady, Manning 1 and 2, etc are on the tail ends of their careers, we will never get respect. Not until we're the only thing left to talk about.

Not a single team you mentioned has had the history this team has for the last 21 years. In fact, all but 1 of them has made it to the super bowl in that time. Some of them more than once. Quite a few of them have won 1; or more.

We aren't the only ones that have been sold a false bill of goods, many times, in many different ways over those years. The national media and people around the country were paying attention too.

Come on ex, you've seen how ugly it was. At one point we were chanting to fire the GM. The whole stadium - well, those that bothered to show up.

It sucks that we were run so poorly for so long that majority of the people that are not Redskins fans are skeptical about how this will turn out. Most of them call our scheme a 'college style offense.' The lack of respect is all the way around, and from almost everyone; it sucks that it's justified.

But it'll make it all the better when we're stomping on the NFC east and playoffs aren't a hope but an inevitability.

Until then I'll enjoy being the underdog. Who gives a **** what any of those people think anyways. :)

Not a single team you mentioned has had the history this team has for the last 21 years. In fact, all but 1 of them has made it to the super bowl in that time. Some of them more than once. Quite a few of them have won 1; or more.
Liar. The Rams, before becoming an overnight media darling, hadn't even been to a Super Bowl in 20 years. The Saints? They had never done anything. The Bucs? Ditto. The Seahawks? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. The Lions have never been......the only team I named that had even been to a Super Bowl in a 20 year span was the Pats, and they got their asses handed to them. None had won one as you claim, making it impossible that any had won more than 1. You are literally just flat out lying.

Until then I'll enjoy being the underdog. Who gives a **** what any of those people think anyways. :)
Oh I agree, but it isn't being ignored that bothers me, it's being **** on like we're still the bottom feeders of the league.

Liar. The Rams, before becoming an overnight media darling, hadn't even been to a Super Bowl in 20 years. The Saints? They had never done anything. The Bucs? Ditto. The Seahawks? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. The Lions have never been......the only team I named that had even been to a Super Bowl in a 20 year span was the Pats, and they got their asses handed to them. None had won one as you claim, making it impossible that any had won more than 1. You are literally just flat out lying.
I wasn't saying they were big because they won (or appeared in) the super bowl.

I'm saying they won the super bowls (or appeared in) because they were good. Maybe thats why they got hype? They were actually good?

You might want to think about different perspectives before you spout off about people being a liar.

I wasn't saying they were big because they won (or appeared in) the super bowl.

I'm saying they won the super bowls (or appeared in) because they were good. Maybe thats why they got hype? They were actually good?

You might want to think about different perspectives before you spout off about people being a liar.
It's nothing to do with perspective. I said other teams have been just as bad or worse than us, then started having one good season and the media loved them. I then named some teams. You said some of those teams won super bowls (which they didn't) now you're saying they were good (they weren't) which is a total lie. This was all in response to you claiming we would get love after another good season. I used those teams as examples of horribly bad teams that got doted on by the media during their first good season in decades.

None of the teams I named won a super bowl at the point they gained their hype, that seems to be the point you're missing. So it wasn't due to them being good, I was just proving your point was total BS.

You just dont get it. Didnt think it would be that hard to follow what I was saying. Oh well, it's just not worth it.

I was watching a segment they did this morning about the game this Sunday. They compared various different thing between us and the Ravens to discuss who holds the edge in each area......
What areas did they give the edge to the Redskins in? None. Not one. .

The segment I watched gave Griff the nod at quarterback

Hate to break it to you tshile, but you're the one not getting it. Here is the whole thing as simple as I can say it.

1. You said we don't get any respect because we've been terrible for so long, and to get respect we will need back to back winning seasons.

2. I said the idea of that was BS, because other teams that were horrible for 20+ years gained respect immediately at the first sign of a decent season. I then listed several examples as evidence.

3. You said the teams I listed had either all won or been to multiple Super Bowls, and that they had respect because they were good.

4. I pointed out that you lied, because not a single team I listed as an example had EVER won a Super Bowl, let alone more than one. I also pointed out that aside from the Patriots, every team had either never appeared in one, or it had been more than 20 years since their appearance.

Since all of this is irrefutable fact, I don't get why you still felt the need to argue. You're right, it isn't complex at all, which is why I'm so baffled as to why you continue to push a lie, while having the nerve to act like I'm the one who isn't getting it.

The Rams instantly gained respect in 1999 with Kurt Warner. This was despite the fact they had not been to a Super Bowl in 20 years (fact), they had never won a Super Bowl (fact), they had a losing team for 9 straight seasons (fact), and for 14 out of 20 seasons (fact). Yet the respect was instant. It didn't take them putting together multiple winning seasons. So they disprove your argument (fact).

In 2010, the Seahawks went 7-9 and became the first losing team to ever make the playoffs (fact). In the first round, against the mighty Saints, many media pundits were predicting the Seattle upset (fact). This was a losing team getting more respect than a juggernaut. Seattle had lost their only Super Bowl appearance in team history 4 years earlier (fact), they had a losing or even record for 13 of the previous 20 seasons (fact), they had only had back to back winning seasons a few times in team history (fact), and they still got respect and didn't even have to win to get it, that was just a bonus.

In 2003, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers won the Super Bowl. That entire season, praise was heaped upon them almost from day one, because of what a great job Jon Gruden was doing with guys like Warren Sapp, Ronde Barber, John Lynch, etc. At that point in time, the Buccaneers had only put together a winning season 6 times in team history (fact). They were widely accepted as the worst team in NFL history, and there wasn't even an argument that could be made for any other team. Yet after putting together a futile 117 wins in the previous two decades (fact), they were a media darling. Before that and since, they've almost never had a reason to smile about their team's performance.

In 2009, the New Orleans Saints were a media juggernaut all season long, from the initial snap, on their way to winning the Super Bowl. It was so bad, that to not be rooting for the Saints was frowned upon as meaning you must hate life. This was in spite of the fact that this was a team who only had 8 winning seasons in 42 years up to that point (fact), and 5 winning seasons in the previous 20 years (fact), with no Super Bowl appearance in team history (fact).

In 2010, the Detroit Lions drafted Matthew Stafford. In spite of the fact they were widely accepted as the most mismanaged team in the league for a very long time, they were instantly respected. The fact they had become the only 0-16 team in NFL history just 2 years earlier (fact) didn't matter. The fact that in the previous 20 years they had only had 6 winning seasons (fact) didn't matter. The fact they have still never been to a Super Bowl (fact) didn't matter. They had Matthew Stafford now. Things were different now. The media wanted to make sure everybody knew just how great they were gonna be, and showed them nothing but respect. The fact that their one season in the sun was apparently a fluke doesn't matter, they still get respect as a 4-8 team.

Now unless you have facts to back what you're saying, quit pursuing a futile point that isn't real. None of these teams had a winning history as you said, none of these teams had ever won a Super Bowl, let alone multiple ones as you claim, and most had never even been to one. I really don't understand the point you're trying to make, because again, what you said in response to my comment is a total lie. Look above at the facts. These teams were losers that gained instant respect. And proof that it doesn't take multiple years of a winning environment to gain respect. Unless, apparently, you're the Washington Redskins.

The segment I watched gave Griff the nod at quarterback
That's the thing - they acknowledge Griffin's superior athletic ability, but they immediately went in to the Joe Flacco hype machine that pops out every year, and 2 of the 3 on the panel said Joe Flacco had the edge as a game manager and decision maker. It's a total joke.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.