• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Deadspin: The Most Hopeless Franchise in Football

• Thread starter Lanky Livingston
  • Start date
whenever I see these arguments about WHO in an organization is to blame for a flameout this bad, the answer is in the end EVERYONE.

so, it really doesn't make any difference whether Snyder is helping Cerrato pick up the phone and making trades or merely allowing Vinny to follow his own instincts (much less likely).

in the end, Snyder is the one that signed off on the hiring of Zorn.

how many teams hire a position coach to then be an OC and then offer him the HC job a few weeks later?

how bizarre.

how many teams end up drafting THREE receivers in ONE round of the draft as the Redskins did in 2008, only to see ALL THREE fail to make an impact?

Again, a bizarre strategy given that this team had age and injury issues on both lines.

Snyder says he grew up watching Gibbs and rooting for the Redskins.

Evidently, he forgot the point about building a core of pro bowl offensive and defensive linemen to keep the team competitive despite not having John Elway or Joe Montana under center.

Im not saying Snyder is an angel but its so freaking old to hear the same 3 chords over and over again in a song. Snyder isnt calling down from upstairs to "stretch the field" or even standing on the sidelines helping to try and coach the team. What he is though is an easy target. He keeps company with people like Tom Cruise who we make fun of and dont like. He isnt the best people person, etc.

You're hearing the same ol' chords bro because people have figured out after all these years what the lowest common deniminator is.

The danny. The danny. The danny.

Im not saying Snyder is an angel but its so freaking old to hear the same 3 chords over and over again in a song. Snyder isnt calling down from upstairs to "stretch the field" or even standing on the sidelines helping to try and coach the team. What he is though is an easy target. He keeps company with people like Tom Cruise who we make fun of and dont like. He isnt the best people person, etc.

And just because I choose not to endulge in the slamming and piling on with the critics shouldnt make me a homer. It should mean that Im looking for the positives in a sea of negatives. It would be so easy for me to fall right in line but Im trying to keep some hope alive. And thats not a homer..thats just a fan in my book.
You know Mike, I really could care less about all of that. JKC was at times cantankerous, unreasonable and even obnoxious. He also had an eye for much younger women that often found themselves in somewhat embarrassing situations. However in spite of all his flaws, JKC did something Snyder hasn't, he won. Because of that, JKC’s flaws became part of his charm rather than something to beat him over the head with. The same would probably be true of Snyder if he were winning. As has often been said when Snyder is discussed, winning is the best deodorant.

I'm impressed with the tenacity of your optimism Mike. However, I happen to be much more results oriented. Furthermore, when things aren’t working, it's only natural that people are going to analyze the reasons for it.

Finally, I have to say that I think your portrayal of our expectations of a competently run team as being like a bitter schoolgirl without a date and as gratuitous slamming of Snyder etc. is patently unfair. The fact is, our management is a joke and is completely unworthy of our proud franchise. Until he makes whatever changes are necessary to remedy that situation, I’m going to give him hell for it. After all, as a fan that’s all I can do.
10.gif

zorn was a big name? campbell was a big name? cooley, horton, doughty, all these guys were big names when they were brought in here?

Mike, first of all, draft picks are draft picks. Unless you are making a top five pick, a draft pick is not going to be a 'big name.'

However, we do have a habit of trading away draft picks to get free agents with those big names. When was the last time we had a full compliment of picks? 2002?

The guys you mention, Cooley, Campbell, Horton ... you're right. Those are the type of players teams build around. We don't have nearly enough of them, because Snyder likes to get big names. I had hoped that was over once Gibbs took over. But Brandon Lloyd and Adam Archuletta proved me wrong. I had hoped that hiring Zorn was evidence that Snyder had changed, but Jason Taylor and Albert Haynesworth proved me wrong.

Actually, what Snyder is, is losing. None of the other stuff gets old. Treading water gets old.

8-8, 8-8, 7-9, 5-11, 6-10, 10-6, 5-11, 9-7, 8-8 ... that gets old. If we had some 12-win seasons and a couple division championships sprinkled in there Snyder could send Tom Cruise down to the sidelines to call an audible and I wouldn't care.

And just because I choose not to endulge in the slamming and piling on with the critics shouldnt make me a homer. It should mean that Im looking for the positives in a sea of negatives. It would be so easy for me to fall right in line but Im trying to keep some hope alive. And thats not a homer..thats just a fan in my book.

Of course you're a homer Mike. That's not a bad thing. I have absolutely no problem with your optimism. But it is optimism, and after literally decades of 8-win seasons (give or take a game) I'm fresh out. A lot of us are, and we have good reason. That's all.

Sorry, Mike. Maybe I am mis-characterizing you, but from your posts you seem to be one of the last of the true believers in Dan Snyder's 'innocence' in the process and of his good intentions.

I think after 10 years of tumult and organizational failure with the consequent changeover in personnel and players, there are only two constants still in place - Snyder and Cerrato.

Riggins called Snyder a 'loser' last week in regards to his management style as an NFL owner.

I haven't seen anything yet to vindicate Snyder from that view.

You guys beat me to it. Facts are facts. We can debate the motive or the reasoning but not the results. I’m not trying to change your mind about anything; just let you know that folks, me included, are getting sick of this cycle. Maybe ten years isn’t enough of a pattern for you, and that’s cool. It’s enough for me. Just please don’t try to say I’m just a blind hater or not a real fan. Why would any of us be here is we didn’t love this team? I just hate what it has become.

The perception that Snyder likes to make big splashes to “fix” problems for the team is absolutely true. I don’t see how this is up for interpretation. I don’t need to point out the 100 million dollar man we signed just this off season or Hall. In fact I can go right down the line and list quite a few right off the top of my head. Vinny said himself in a recent interview that it was Dan’s idea to bring in Albert, so let’s not pretend who is making the calls on these guys. It’s either Dan through Vinny, or Vinny with Dan’s blessing. The only time this pattern was broken was the year Marty was here and Vinny was out of the picture. It’s doesn’t exactly take Columbo to figure this out. Off the top of my head:

Mark Carrier
Jeff George
Deion Sanders
Bruce Smith
Jeremiah Trotter
Jessie Armstead
Lavernius Coles
Randy Thomas
Phillip Daniels
Cornelius Griffin
Marcus Washington
Shawn Springs
Antwan Randle El
Adam Archuleta
Andre Carter
Brandon Lloyd
Jason Taylor

Have some of these guys worked out? Sure. Most have failed to live up to billing. This isn’t my opinion, it’s a fact. That is a pattern of failure. We have failed to address deficiencies on our team the most efficient way to do so, through the draft, for YEARS. This is a pattern of failure. We are on coach six in ten years of his ownership and quickly working to number seven. That is a pattern of failure. I don’t see how it could be seen any other way.

I don’t give a crap about Tom Cruise or any of the other side issues regarding Snyder. All I care about is how he runs his team because I have invested a large part of my life in being a fan of this team. I don’t have unreasonable expectations, but I expect more than this in exchange for my valuable time, money and continued interest. If I don’t show my displeasure in some way by bitching, not going to games, not buying merchandise or some other method Dan and his boys would have no reason to change at all. This probably won’t have any effect anyway, but it’s all I can do (to steal yusef's line)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.