• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

I Could Finally Go To My First Game

Nobody

Super Bowl MVP
Reaction score
Military Branch
Army
My new found brother calls me up today. He says he got his hands on a pair of sweet seats for Monday night's game. How sweet? he hasn't told me that part yet. He actually had the nerve to ask me if I wanted to go. Shiiiiiiiiiiit yeah I wanna go. Not only have I been trying to get to a game my entire life, but a game of this magnitude, in prime time? That would be epic.

He is a Cowboys fan, but he's never been to a game either, and wants to go just to go. He has a buddy in Richmond that's a Cowboys fan too, but he always wins awesome tickets at work for our games. Normally he sells them, but he's my brother's best friend, and since we have recently gotten back in contact with each other after over 25 years, he's feeling in the giving mood :D

I guess it pays to have friends in high places. Question though. As a first timer, what time should we leave Virginia Beach to be in our seats at kickoff? And since traffic tends to put me in a nearly homicidal rage, would it be advisable to take the Eastern Shore and cross at the bay bridge, or would the traffic suck just as bad coming in from the East? I'm new at this, so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

The only thing barring this from happening is unforeseen circumstances. But you bet your ass if I have a ticket in my hand, I will get there come hell or high water.

If you plan in being at the stadium no later than 4 you should be fine. If you plan any later then that then you're on the major roadways during rush hour and how bad it is depends.

As for which direction I don't know :(

Congrats. You will enjoy the experience. I would leave 1-2 pm. This will put you there by 5pm. This will give you time to tailgate.

When I go (from peninsula) I take Rt. 17 to Port Royal. From there take Rt. 301 to Walfdorf, MD. In Waldorf take Rt. 5 over to 495. This will put you about 12 miles from stadium. You will miss most of the traffic. If go from Richmond, I would suggest 301 to Waldorf.

Yeah, I just really don't want to get caught up in beltway traffic, that's why I'm wondering if anyone knows how it is coming from the East on Route 50 and catching 95 South to go to FedEx. I had many experiences with the DC traffic as a kid, and will do anything to avoid ever having to deal with it again.

Edit: Riggins, I didn't even think about that, that might be the route we take.

I'm gonna swing by the ES tailgate with a name tag a mile long with all my ES alter egos I had over the years just to mind **** a few people. And I'm not gonna say a word, I'll just be the awkward, quiet creeper.

The beltway isn't too bad outside of rush hour, and even then it really just depends on if there are accidents. they've widened it quite a bit.

According to google maps it is an hour more going up the eastern shore.
It says a little over 3 h 38m for 95->495

I'd leave at 11:30 to build in a 3 minute buffer and you should be there (barring an issue) before 4.

I have no idea what the eastern short drive is lie during rush hour. :(

edit: we're across from the ES tailgate in the D lot, near the redskins ambulance around D 40ish area. if you feel like swinging by let me know. we're bringing extra people so no corn hole this time :(

Congrats! Just try to avoid that BSchurm guy...what a jerk!

lol awesome, to be honest, for a long time I was pretty choked at the way I was treated at the end at that other site, I was one of the very first members, but if not for it, I would never found this place which is way better. watching games while having the chat open makes the suck almost bearable lol

The ES tailgate isn't affiliated with the other site, other than the site is used to advertise and organize it. :)

Congrats! Just try to avoid that BSchurm guy...what a jerk!
Oh I know, what an ass :laugh:

lol awesome, to be honest, for a long time I was pretty choked at the way I was treated at the end at that other site, I was one of the very first members, but if not for it, I would never found this place which is way better. watching games while having the chat open makes the suck almost bearable lol
I know exactly what you mean. As much ire as I have for ES, it's the reason I'm here, so I'm grateful for that.

Wow! Really? Congratulations, that's fantastic!
Absolutely, and thank you. I had a detailed thread about it a couple of months ago in the 5 o'clock forum. Awesome guy too, I just have to work on that whole conversion from the pukes thing :D

Who is that bschurm guy? He sounds like a shady character!

That's great Ex.

Not trying to be a downer, but in my experience i would much rather stay at home and watch the game if i really want to get into the game. It's such a pain to get in and out of the stadium and a pain to get something to drink or go to the bathroom. Plus, you get much better coverage with commentary and replays on TV.

On the plus side, if you've never been it's one hell of an atmosphere and experience!

Enjoy losing that FedEx "virginity". This should be a playoff-like atmosphere so it will be hard to top should you ever get back.

I just hope you're our Good Luck Charm! ;)

Definitely looking forward to it. Eating before the game, and the fact that neither of us drink alcohol should make things a little easier for us at the stadium :D

He still won't tell me where our seats are. I'm starting to worry they might be the worst possible seats, which would really make me reconsider our whole brotherhood :laugh:

Seriously though, I just hope they aren't so far back that I can't see the game. I have horrible vision, even with my glasses. It's just my luck though, the first time I get to experience this, and I'm going with someone just as poor as I am. No overpriced souvenirs for me lol.

Take a pair of binoculars, just in case. I STILL have the pair my Dad used to take to RFK every week. I can remember using them to get my first look at Vince Lombardi on the sidelines in 1969.

Take a pair of binoculars, just in case. I STILL have the pair my Dad used to take to RFK every week. I can remember using them to get my first look at Vince Lombardi on the sidelines in 1969.

Or a zoom lens... ;)

Yeah, I just really don't want to get caught up in beltway traffic, that's why I'm wondering if anyone knows how it is coming from the East on Route 50 and catching 95 South to go to FedEx. I had many experiences with the DC traffic as a kid, and will do anything to avoid ever having to deal with it again.

Edit: Riggins, I didn't even think about that, that might be the route we take.

I'm gonna swing by the ES tailgate with a name tag a mile long with all my ES alter egos I had over the years just to mind **** a few people. And I'm not gonna say a word, I'll just be the awkward, quiet creeper.

Hey Extreme.. if you make the ES tailgate look me up. I'll be there.. everyone knows me as docsandy ;)... with my 15-year-old nephew who will be attending his first regular season Redskins game (he went to a preseason game once when he was like 5 or 6).

Hey Extreme.. if you make the ES tailgate look me up. I'll be there.. everyone knows me as docsandy ;)... with my 15-year-old nephew who will be attending his first regular season Redskins game (he went to a preseason game once when he was like 5 or 6).
Definitely will. I have to meet someone with a Redskins room like that epic one your pictures showed :D

Looks like you turned out to be our Good Luck Charm after all. Can't wait to hear about your experience at this "lively affair".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.