• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

[Tandler] Need to Know

tshile

http://www.realredskins.com/rich-ta...-know-morris-comes-up-big-on-first-down-.html

Need to Know: Morris comes up big on first down

Here is what you need to know on this Friday, November 23, 10 days before the Redskins take on the Giants at FedEx Field.

Morris on first down a key

The ever-humble Alfred Morris is happy to take a back seat to Robert Griffin III when it comes to glory and accolades but his part in the Redskins’ 38-31 win over the Cowboys should not be overlooked.

The rookie was particularly helpful to the Redskins on first down. He had 14 first-down carries for 72 yards, a healthy average of 5.1 yards a pop. Second and five is a great place to be on a consistent basis. It opens up almost the entire playbook for Kyle Shanahan. It is no coincidence that after Morris’ successful first-down runs the Redskins converted on 50 percent of their third downs (6-12).

Morris played a key role in giving the Redskins more breathing room as halftime approached. With 10 minutes left in the second quarter he powered one yard for a touchdown to give the Redskins a 14-3 lead. The, with 17 seconds left he popped one up the middle that moved the Redskins from the Dallas 22 to the six. That put them close enough to the end zone to allow them to take a shot at a touchdown before kicking a field goal. Griffin found Santana Moss for six and the Redskins took a 28-3 lead into the locker room.

For the day, Morris carried 24 times for 113 yards, his fourth 100-yard game of the year. For the season he is just 18 yards shy of hitting the 1000-yard mark as he has 208 attempts for 982 yards.

Points soaring

The Redskins have now scored 30 points or more in five games this season. While doing that is routine for many NFL franchises, that is a positively dizzying pace for this team.

In the five seasons from 2007-2011 the Redskins scored 30 or more in a game a total of five times. So, in 11 games this year they have as many 30-plus games as they did in the previous 90 games.

The Redskins last scored 30 or more five times in 2005. The last season where they had more was in 1996 when they had six.

Today’s schedule

3:00—Mike Shanahan news conference conducted via telephone

No player availability

I have to give credit where credit is due...Kyle Shanahan called a great game yesterday. There was a few questionable calls, but that happens with all coaches. The difference yesterday was there were no questionable calls at the most inopportune time. Kyle showed discipline, something he hadn't done in the past against Dallas that cost us. Some thought the interception thrown by Griff was a poor call, but Logan Paulsen had a step on the defender there. It was a poor throw from our phenom. And while I like that Kyle was running the ball on 1st and 2nd a lot, sometimes in those situations you have to throw...the defense knows you're going to run, take a shot on that quick route that almost always seems to be open when the LB's are pulled into the line expecting us the run.

I mentioned that Kyle ran the ball a number of times on 1st and 2nd. It was great to see Morris churning off 8, 9 or more on 1st down yesterday. That opens up the playbook. But what I liked most about Kyle's play calling yesterday was the fact that on those few times when Morris would get only 1 or 2 yards on first, Kyle would come back out and run him again to pick up 3 or 4 more leaving us with 3rd and 3 or 4 a lot yesterday. I will take that all day long to control the clock since we need to keep our defense off the field as much as possible.

Last edited:
Alfred has 982 yds. rushing for this season already. He is on pace for 1430 yds. - simply awesome.

And Lanky must be so dang proud of his fellow alum. What a great story Morris has been this season. Howard Schnellenberger must be proud of his prized recruit too.

Kyle did call a good game. Shows the level of trust Kyle has with RG3 and the offense. I think his best call was the play to Niles Paul when we had 3rd and inches. He knew Dallas was loaded for Morris. Great play action fake then throw to wide open Paul.

Alfred has 982 yds. rushing for this season already. He is on pace for 1430 yds. - simply awesome.

And Lanky must be so dang proud of his fellow alum. What a great story Morris has been this season. Howard Schnellenberger must be proud of his prized recruit too.

I'm so pumped! I love me some Morris!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.