• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

What are your Hobbies??

She does all the wading, I just help with the cooking once she's found one. :)

We've also found some really killer recipe books at Costco - we got an Indian Food/curry cookbook from there, and she is now an expert. I'd put her butter chicken up against most restaurants!

Nice! Soon, we will dive more into ethnic recipes too. Our kids are so fussy that we hesitate to try new things too often.

I love to cook. I've been doing it almost every night since childhood. I'm always trying new things and switching things up. Through a long process of trial and error, I have created a pretty extensive knack for knowing what ingredients will be awesome together, even if they don't always seem like they belong. For more information, look in the what's for dinner thread, I've probably posted over a dozen recipes in there, even though I've been absent from it recently.

I'm also in a unique corner of coin collecting. I don't really collect for myself, but I collect based on possible profit margin from resale. I've been making a pretty good profit from it lately too.

I also like predicting the Kentucky Derby winner, and had a 12 year win streak snapped this year. As quite a few people here can attest to, I made some members a whole lot of money last year.

Like you'll find out about Boone eventually if you don't already know, I am really big into my vegetable garden. I grow most of the food I eat other than the obvious meat and such, and I get more deeply involved every year.

I love fixing and improving anything I think I can improve. I have no training in it, I just have that knack, and I love to do it.

Some people would also say I like to argue. Those people are assholes and I have no idea what they're talking about :laugh:

I love to cook. I've been doing it almost every night since childhood. I'm always trying new things and switching things up. Through a long process of trial and error, I have created a pretty extensive knack for knowing what ingredients will be awesome together, even if they don't always seem like they belong. For more information, look in the what's for dinner thread, I've probably posted over a dozen recipes in there, even though I've been absent from it recently.

I'm also in a unique corner of coin collecting. I don't really collect for myself, but I collect based on possible profit margin from resale. I've been making a pretty good profit from it lately too.

I also like predicting the Kentucky Derby winner, and had a 12 year win streak snapped this year. As quite a few people here can attest to, I made some members a whole lot of money last year.

Like you'll find out about Boone eventually if you don't already know, I am really big into my vegetable garden. I grow most of the food I eat other than the obvious meat and such, and I get more deeply involved every year.

I love fixing and improving anything I think I can improve. I have no training in it, I just have that knack, and I love to do it.

Some people would also say I like to argue. Those people are assholes and I have no idea what they're talking about :laugh:

We have a ton in common!

These days I run pretty regularly. Eleven miles a week is my usual: three, three and five. Sometimes if I'm feeling saucy I'll push the long run up to six, or if I'm actually running a race I'll make one of the three milers a tempo run or something. I ran the Marine Corp Marathon in 2010 and this year one of my crazy friends talked me into running the Mid Atlantic Tough Mudder in September. But for the most part I'm not much of a racer. I run the Springfield 5K and the Alexandria Turkey Trot 5 miler every year and that's about it. (By the way, running in the cold is actually easier than running in the heat. Hard core runners will tell you they don't bother trying for PRs if it gets warmer than 60 degrees. Just layer up and it's not so bad once you get started.)

I also take Tae Kwon Do. It was something I did when I was a teenager. Even got my black belt back then. I've picked it back up since my daughter has taken an interest (she's testing for her 1st Dan this Saturday!) and I'm now about a year away from my 2nd Dan. It's amazing how different it is trying to do the same techniques as a 42 year old that I used to be able to do with ease at 16, but old age creeps up on old creeps, I guess.

So that accounts for about 5 or so workouts a week, so with three kids and day job I don't have much time for anything else these days. Though at one time I was a founding member of a World of Warcraft guild. Sadly those days have passed me by. I need to get myself a new computer. :)

I used to have that interest, but have slowly backed away. I found that I was getting waaayyyyyy to emotionally invested in politics.

Haha! I was being ornery. My main hobby I have been able to turn into a vocation...photography.

Ss, you just joined so I am not sure you've had the chance to see these, but this is what I love:

http://www.bgobsession.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=533

I have posted many here over the years. If you watch the progression from the day I joined 3 years ago to now, you will see I have become great! :laugh:

These days I run pretty regularly. Eleven miles a week is my usual: three, three and five. Sometimes if I'm feeling saucy I'll push the long run up to six, or if I'm actually running a race I'll make one of the three milers a tempo run or something. I ran the Marine Corp Marathon in 2010 and this year one of my crazy friends talked me into running the Mid Atlantic Tough Mudder in September. But for the most part I'm not much of a racer. I run the Springfield 5K and the Alexandria Turkey Trot 5 miler every year and that's about it. (By the way, running in the cold is actually easier than running in the heat. Hard core runners will tell you they don't bother trying for PRs if it gets warmer than 60 degrees. Just layer up and it's not so bad once you get started.)

I also take Tae Kwon Do. It was something I did when I was a teenager. Even got my black belt back then. I've picked it back up since my daughter has taken an interest (she's testing for her 1st Dan this Saturday!) and I'm now about a year away from my 2nd Dan. It's amazing how different it is trying to do the same techniques as a 42 year old that I used to be able to do with ease at 16, but old age creeps up on old creeps, I guess.

So that accounts for about 5 or so workouts a week, so with three kids and day job I don't have much time for anything else these days. Though at one time I was a founding member of a World of Warcraft guild. Sadly those days have passed me by. I need to get myself a new computer. :)
Impressive Henry, my perception of you has completely changed. I've always liked you, I just pictured you as the calm, sit down with a book and drink a cup of coffee kinda guy for some reason. Now that I know you can kick my ass, and chase me down and kick it again if I get away, you're image just got a serious upgrade :laugh:

These days not time for much, but grandchildren, hiking, backpacking and just sitting on the back porch. Mainly the back porch thing.

Awesome stuff Henry!! I can definitely say that Martial Arts has had a profound positive impact upon my life. It actually was significant in helping me emotionally through the loss of my Mom and through some recent troubles I had at the office. The calm confidence I've gained is priceless! Your's and your daughter's accomplishments are incredible!!! Congrats!!

I read an interesting article on the Tough Mudder style races and learned that there have been a lot of deaths and serious injuries during them. Be careful!!!

Haha! I was being ornery. My main hobby I have been able to turn into a vocation...photography.

Ss, you just joined so I am not sure you've had the chance to see these, but this is what I love:

http://www.bgobsession.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=533

I have posted many here over the years. If you watch the progression from the day I joined 3 years ago to now, you will see I have become great! :laugh:

You are really talented!!!! How cool is it to turn a love into a career!?!?

Impressive Henry, my perception of you has completely changed. I've always liked you, I just pictured you as the calm, sit down with a book and drink a cup of coffee kinda guy for some reason. Now that I know you can kick my ass, and chase me down and kick it again if I get away, you're image just got a serious upgrade :laugh:

Yeah, just give me fifteen minutes to warm-up and stretch, and if I don't throw my back out I can kick your ass. :)

The exercising kinda snuck up on me in my middle age. I actually am the calm, coffee-drinking reader. I've just had a lot more flexibility with my time since I got laid off in 2008.

Following Henry's progression with running over at the other place, and his blog, were definitely an inspiration to me. I wish I had that drive and determination. I would love to earn a 26.2 sticker, but I think I'm going to have to be content with the 13.1.

For some reason, even when I was in my best shape many moons ago, I hit an impassible wall at 17 miles. Now, I'm good for the very rare 10 miles, but mostly 3-5.

I like sex, personally.

In lieu of that, I love reading, and go through a novel or two a week during lunch. Alternatively, I will sift through fascinating (to me) topics such as water usage and the proliferation of Evangelicals in America over the course of a couple of weeks, depending on my moods.

Aside from that, I love to play Mario Kart with the kids. As Larissa, our oldest, has aged, it has become more difficult to connect with her, so we play Mario Kart together, and watch a few TV shows (Modern Family and Nashville - stop judging me!) with her and her sister.

And this is going to sound unbelievably cheesy, I apologize in advance, but I really enjoy spending time with my wife. We can be watching TV, talking over a glass of wine, whatever. I am happiest when with her.

Which reminds me, we also very much enjoy VA wine. We live in the wine country outside of Charlottesville, and we love to go on tastings, and enjoy a bottle and some cheese on the various verandas enjoying the views.

I like sex, personally.

In lieu of that, I love reading, and go through a novel or two a week during lunch. Alternatively, I will sift through fascinating (to me) topics such as water usage and the proliferation of Evangelicals in America over the course of a couple of weeks, depending on my moods.

Aside from that, I love to play Mario Kart with the kids. As Larissa, our oldest, has aged, it has become more difficult to connect with her, so we play Mario Kart together, and watch a few TV shows (Modern Family and Nashville - stop judging me!) with her and her sister.

And this is going to sound unbelievably cheesy, I apologize in advance, but I really enjoy spending time with my wife. We can be watching TV, talking over a glass of wine, whatever. I am happiest when with her.

Which reminds me, we also very much enjoy VA wine. We live in the wine country outside of Charlottesville, and we love to go on tastings, and enjoy a bottle and some cheese on the various verandas enjoying the views.

LOL!!! I think we share a common bond, at least in terms of Sex!!:pint:

I dont think you are cheesy at all! I also am happiest with my family and wife especially!

Hobby's huh...?

I have a long list of stuff I enjoy doing and an even longer list of stuff I think I would enjoy doing if I could get the time.

The list of current activities includes homebrewing, photography, working out, reading and haunting.

Homebrewing - I've been doing this now for 4 years (did my first batch the day after Thanksgiving in 2008). I do mostly ales because they are easier from an equipment point of view here in Texas. In 4 years I have something like 15 totally different beers but probably twice that many batches as I have a couple of favorites that I try never to run out of. I've even given my "brewery" a name, Two Penny Brewing.

Photography - This I got into back in college when I got my first 35mm camera. My last couple of years there I made beer money shooting for the school year book. I got away from it after I married my wife due to financial issues (hey, film and processing can be expensive) although I still shot on vacations. In 2005 my wife coordinated my friends and family in the effort to give me my first DSLR (a Minolta 7D). Since that point I have added numerous lenses, two more bodies and a full studio setup to my equipment inventory (some people wonder if my hobby is more about the gear). I maintain a gallery of my work online here.

Work Out - this is an on again off again hobby, usually tied to my physical well being. Having passed 40 a number of years ago and gotten sick of being out of shape, I started trying to work out again regularly. I have gotten into programs like P90X and Insanity, both of which I really enjoy. Sadly, I have been off this hobby since June, when I sustained a shoulder injury that I am still fighting.

Reading - this might best be described as an addiction. As the child of two serious readers, I come by this one honestly and started very early in life. I currently enjoy reading Science Fiction, Fantasy, History and informational books about my hobbies and work. A few years ago I joined the e-reader generation when I got my first Kindle and now I am hardly ever without it anywhere.

Haunting - I am a partner in a haunted house attraction and while this makes some money, it is really more of a hobby that swallows much of my time from mid July through mid November.

Stuff I want to do but just don't have time for right now include carpentry, auto restoration,computer programming and learning both guitar and piano.

is nashville any good?

my girl and I have set shows we record or watch when they come on every night...there is NOTHING cheesy about that.

Yeah, it's good. I hate myself for admitting it. Wasn't there a guilty TV show pleasure thread once?

Anyway, I LOVED Friday Night Lights, and Mrs. Coach is on Nashville. We watched the first episode to see her and got hooked. Definitely a nighttime soap, as was FNL to be fair. It's just that with FNL I could rationalize it because it was ostensibly about football. This is about country singing.

I don't even know who I am anymore.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.