• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Top 3 NFL Teams Oregon's Chip Kelly Should Coach

McD5

The Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Florida State
As the hot seats in the NFL grow hotter, the stock of one college coach seems to soar higher and higher. Oregon’s Chip Kelly will be the college football coach most pursued by NFL teams this upcoming off-season. There is no doubt he has earned the chance to display his lightning fast evolutionary spread offense at the professional level. After inheriting the head coaching position in 2009, Kelly has amassed a 43-6 record, three Pac-12 titles, and created a lethal spread option offense who’s scoring and yards per game have been among the highest in thee NCAA since Kelly started calling the plays as offensive coordinator in 2007.

2) Washington Redskins

Mike Shanahan took the reigns to this organization in 2010, and other than drafting Robert Griffin III, has done nothing to keep Redskins owner Daniel Snyder from looking to the future. Chip Kelly may be that future.

http://www.ibtimes.com/sportsnet/top-3-nfl-teams-oregons-chip-kelly-should-coach-866130

Personally, I believe Snyder would be more likely to chase Jon Gruden. But this is a good introduction for those not familiar with Kelly.

Last edited:
After drafting superstar Cam Newton, they had adapted a form of Cam Newton’s Baylor option to the Panthers, and succeeded.

Cam Newton didn't go to Baylor.
doh.gif

Do these websites have editors?

I think I saw this play out about ten years ago now.

I am not comparing Kelly with Spurrier, but the comparison (were Snyder to hire him) practically writes itself. Lazy reporting at it's finest, and I don't think Snyder wants to put himself through that.

Been there done that. But I wouldn't wish what Spurrier did on anyone, so good luck to Kelly, I hope he finds a job in the NFL. His schemes seem to jive with the direction this two hand touch league is heading.

I really don't know what I think anymore. I'm not a big fan of the DC coaching carousel. At some point, if you really believe in a coach, you need to dance with the date you brought and have some patience. With Shanahan, that's tougher to do, because he's an old coach and the window is, by definition, abbreviated. The idea that Kyle might succeed him sounded good early on, but really - do we even consider that when Dad himself hasn't been able to get it done? Short of a major turn around in the next year or so, I don't see that happening. We mock Spurrier and Zorn, but Shanahan hasn't done any better. I believe Shanahan will get his 5 years and that's probably the right thing to do. I would love to see Jon Gruden in the HC seat. I'd have taken him over Shanahan because I love his fire and aggressiveness. Not sure what our long-term vision for coaching staff is here - and that may be part of the problem. There isn't one. I'm not sure 'been there done that' is the way to look at it. Yeah, Kelly and Spurrier share the college coach warning status, but they aren't the same man. Whether or not Kelly could be successful in the NFL is a big question mark, but I don't know that the experience we had with Spurrier says much about that.

Mike, the only time Chip Kelly's Ducks have played the SEC in a bowl game was the 2010 national championship against Cam Newton's auburn squad. They lost by 3 points.

And that same season they crushed Tennessee.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Last edited by a moderator:
LSU wasn't a bowl game. Also, they crushed the volunteers, they're in the SEC.

Also, 3 points is hardly destroyed.

Probably just me, but anyone else get the feeling we could have Bill Belichick in DC and it still somehow would turn into failure?

I am going to stick to my gut feeling, and that is that the Redskins will never be successful if they just keep rotating in coaching staffs every 3 years. You cannot win long term with that approach.

Not sure how i would feel about this... I'm a little gun shy about bringing up a college head coach, and the scary thing is, not only would we then be developing a QB, RB but also our head coach.. I dont THINK we have the vets and/or ownership on this team to bring in a coach with 0 NFL experience... but could be wrong.

Probably just me, but anyone else get the feeling we could have Bill Belichick in DC and it still somehow would turn into failure?

I am going to stick to my gut feeling, and that is that the Redskins will never be successful if they just keep rotating in coaching staffs every 3 years. You cannot win long term with that approach.

Couldn't agree more

I think that's the major reason why I just can't get on board with the pitchfork and torch crowd. (this time)

Maybe... My only issue with this idea is that we see new coaching staffs do more defensively their first year than we have seen from Haslett in 3 years now. Sure, there were talent issues here when Haslett got here. No doubt. But frankly that is usually the case when a coaching staff gets fired and all new guys are brought in.

I mean, I get what you are saying Boone. I do. I just have this sinking feeling that if we keep the defensive coaches around we will be having this same discussion every year until we finally let them go.

I'm not referring to changing a coordinator. I think that has far less impact than swapping out the entire coaching staff.

Ah...got it. And we are agreed there. I think we have to keep Mike for now. Maybe even through the life of his current contract, in fact.

Yeah, we need to keep the HC and make no changes in that direction for quite some time. Some of the insiders are saying Haslett is all but out the door and that is a good thing. Shaking up parts of the staff is fine and it is sorely needed.

I think Mike should take over play calling from his son. We know Shanahan the elder won't abandon the run.

I'm not saying Kyle's perfect, but our offense has been more than good enough most weeks. Offense is not the problem.

I'm not saying Kyle's perfect, but our offense has been more than good enough most weeks. Offense is not the problem.

Yeah...at this point, the defense is what it is. We need extended, clock-killing drives to keep them off the field, and Kyle doesn't seem to recognize that. That's where I'm coming from when I want Kyle removed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.